Ferland charged with assault

Ryan Pike
August 07 2012 06:34PM

News broke this afternoon that Calgary Flames prospect Michael Ferland has been charged with one count of assault and one count of aggravated assault related to an incident late last month in Cochrane, Alberta, according to the Calgary Sun. Ferland was allegedly involved in an altercation outside of a Cochrane bar on July 29th and is now facing charges relating to that altercation.

The Calgary Flames released a statement today in support of Ferland:

"We were informed today that Michael Ferland has been charged with assault as a result of an incident on July 29th in Cochrane, AB.  We met with Michael and are taking steps to acquire information as it relates to the situation. While embarrassed, Michael maintains he is innocent with respect to the charges and he has displayed concern for any harm that has resulted from this incident. The organization will support Michael as he moves through the legal process. As a result of legal considerations, we are limited in the information we can publicly discuss and are unable to provide any further comment at this time. Thank you.

Through his attorney, Ferland also released a statement:

"It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt and I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible.”

The Calgary Herald is reporting that Ferland is expected to appear in Cochrane provincal court on September 4.

A native of Brandon, Manitoba, Ferland has been a star with the Brandon Wheat Kings for several seasons and is expected to turn pro with the Abbotsford Heat this fall. He was a fifth round selection of the Calgary Flames in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and was recently ranked the Flames 7th best prospect by FlamesNation.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his fourth season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers and the Wrestling Observer.
#1 Colin
August 07 2012, 07:08PM

Really sucks for him to have to deal with this kinda stuff to start out the hockey season. Not gonna take any sides on this either till actual facts start coming out. On Twitter his side is that he was with Family and friends and the other is that apparently he busted some guys orbital bone in one punch(dat knock out power!). Could go either way really, Ferland with a "Do you know who I am" or some douche jealous of Ferlands success, or a third unknown option.

I'm pulling for him that this is something that isn't as bad or didn't happen and hopefully he turns into a good hockey player.

#3 MC Hockey
August 07 2012, 07:40PM

Being a guy who blogs about the Jets, this is everyday stuff unfortunately!

#4 MC Hockey
August 07 2012, 08:05PM

Ferland seems like a decent kid, at worst he's a cereal killer (as in big breakfasts with milk). Drum roll please?

#5 T&A4Flames
August 07 2012, 08:31PM

Innocent until proven otherwise.

#6 drewski
August 07 2012, 08:54PM

Growing up in Cochrane I can tell you its not hard to find a fight at the Hotel (or even the Gate) on a Friday or Saturday night. I am surprised that charges were laid though. The RCMP probably have a fairly good case if they went to the trouble of laying an assault charge for a barfight. In my experience, it was always "get the f$ck outta here if you don't want to spend the night in the tank". Then you head to CPU and buy awful pizza. Boom. Now there is a good night out in Cochrane.

All conjecture from me, let's see what happens. Big year for this kid coming up. Everyone here hopes he is a late bloomer (versus a big overager with one great year in the dub).

#7 Subversive
August 07 2012, 09:08PM
drewski wrote:

Yeah, generally speaking they wouldn't lay actual charges in a case like this unless it was pretty cut and dried. Makes me a bit worried, but whatever. He's a mediocre prospect, so I don't think it's any great loss to the Flames from a hockey perspective if this does end up impacting his hockey career.

#8 RexLibris
August 07 2012, 09:11PM

That is a tough break (no pun intended) for him and unfortunately it has to happen in a slow news period.

That being said, guys have come back from far worse to have NHL careers. With luck this won't derail his off-season training and stall his overall development.

#9 jeremywilhelm
August 07 2012, 09:11PM

He wasn't an over ager this year in the Dub. And he put up a PPG as a 17-18 year old. So he isn't really that late a bloomer. Tanner Pearson would be someone you call a late bloomer.

Surprised at the charges laid, but just because he has been charged, it won't necessarily stand up, I know this from personal experience.

#10 jeremywilhelm
August 07 2012, 09:13PM

@Subversive

He is hardly a mediocre prospect. What an odd thing to say.

#11 drewski
August 07 2012, 09:19PM

@jeremy

My bad, I thought he was an over ager

Agreed on it being hard to make these charges stick. But something makes me think the Mounties have this one put together better than most bar related assault charges.

#12 Steve
August 07 2012, 09:22PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

He is hardly a mediocre prospect. What an odd thing to say.

I have high hopes for Ferland. He's a bit of a rare prospect I would say. Late bloomer in that he started hockey late, but he's got good hockey sense, nice hands, and he was (according to a Wheat Kings season ticket holder) the toughest guy in the dub. Nobody would fight him last year. Watched him at dev camp and he made some really smart plays. Nice skill set to have, especially on a small Flames team lacking scoring.

#13 BurningSensation
August 07 2012, 09:49PM

I admit that I'm a sucker for Rick Tocchet types. He's big, tough, snarly, and has some skill. If he can play and skate at a high enough level he could be a beauty. Off-season one-punch KO bar fights in Cochrane only fuel my anticipation.

#14 FireOnIce
August 07 2012, 10:58PM

1 count of aggravated assault and 1 count of assault.

Is that like 1 count of being a bear and 1 count of being an accessory to being a bear?

Seriously though, I'll be here all night.

Ferland will do well as long as they don't ship him out like Brett Sutter. We need some players with swag and willing to beat up whoever steps in their way. Oh, and if he can score goals too, that would be a plus.

#15 The Last Big Bear
August 08 2012, 06:19AM

Boy if I had a dollar for every time I got KO'd by a drunken hockey player by the side of the highway after getting kicked out of the bar in a small town in Alberta at 1am...

#16 Subversive
August 08 2012, 10:50AM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

He is hardly a mediocre prospect. What an odd thing to say.

Oh, perhaps I am uninformed. What's his upside?

August 08 2012, 11:06AM
Subversive wrote:

Oh, perhaps I am uninformed. What's his upside?

It's a tough call at this point, given that his most recent season may have been attributable in part to the strength of his linemates. There are a lot of people who believe he could end up being a top 6 power forward, though.

#18 jeremywilhelm
August 08 2012, 12:38PM

@Subversive

I don't project upsides, I think it's moronic. But watching the kid play, he isn't mediocre. He is probably on of the better physical and skilled winger prospects to come out of the Dub in quite a while.

#19 loudogYYC
August 08 2012, 01:43PM

@Subversive

He's a top 10 prospect of an NHL team that plays a fast, nasty brand of hockey while putting up points. And he's only 20.

I bet you there's around 25 teams in the league that would like him in their system. He's what Greg Nemisz should be, so I don't think the Flames should take this lightly.

#20 the-wolf
August 08 2012, 01:56PM
loudogYYC wrote:

I was going to argue with this first sentence and then I realized that you were talking about Ferland and not the Flames:)

#21 loudogYYC
August 08 2012, 02:26PM

@the-wolf

hahaha yeah I wish I was talking about the Flames on that one.

#22 Kevin R
August 08 2012, 03:57PM

Ah, they'll set a trial date & just before they will plea bargain a misdemeanor, public nuisance or something like that & he will get a fine & some Community time because he is a 1st offender & has a public image as a professional athlete. This thing wont get to trial. If not I'll recruit one of the few good men Tom Cruise to defend him:)