FN Weekend Open Thread - News and Suggestions

September 01 2012 10:22AM

Im sharing the Three Flames Fans video for a couple reasons: firstly, because it's well done, so deserves to be shared. Secondly, because I've talked to the man behind TFF, Jared Keeso, and he's interested in potentially partnering up with FlamesNation for similar project down the road. How does htat sound folks?

Speaking of additions...

As always I've been looking for ways to improve the site over the summer. Ryan Pike, Justin Azevedo and Arik James have all added their voices to the mix recently, but I think there's always room for more. That's why we're glad to announce the addition of Book of Loob to FlamesNation, starting this month!

BoL emailed me at some point in the past, essentially saying he was sick of my negativity, dry analysis and references to numbers nobody knows or cares about. I invited him to try to do better...IF HE COULD.

So here we are. BoL brings a sort of humor and unending loyalty to the team that doesn't descend into maudlin sentiment or blind apologisia. Also, his favorite player is Hakan Loob, so you can't go wrong there*.

*(Related...did you know Hakan Loob is apparently on twitter ?)

You can expect BoL's debut post sometime next week. Make sure to give him a warm welcome (and then needle him mercilessly ever after).

- FN is currently negotiating another big addition to the site. I can't quite announce who it is yet because we're still dotting the "i's" and such, but I can say it is going to happen and he will bring things to the table no one else currently does here. Stay tuned...

Two Minutes Hate

I am considering adding a few more feature articles to FN as well: the Two Minutes Hate and the weekly mailbag...

The Two Minutes Hate would be a profile of past and current enemies of the Calgary Flames - be it ex-players who demanded trades (Tim Erixon) or were just plain bad (Anders Eriksson), ex-executives who did damage to the franchise in some unforgivable way (Doug Risebrough) or opposing players/coaches/media personalities we all love to hate in Calgary (Matt Cooke, Jarko Ruutu, etc.) - the Two Minutes will be a way we can all take out whatever frustrations or anxieties that come from cheering for the Flames and direct it at some outside, but wholly deserving entity.

The weekly mailbag would be just as it sounds - everyone here at FN would take email questions/suggestions and riff on them once a week. Some folks have already taken to emailing me stuff like that from time to time and the comments kind of operate in this fashion at times as well. Still, I wonder if we formalized the process into regular a feature article if folks would be interested in both reading and emailing in pertinent questions and such.

If one or both of those ideas appeal to anyone, please let me know in the open thread today. As always, I'm open to other ideas as well.

Apparently No one likes Sven Baertschi. Or Free Booze.

Finally, I want to announce an extension to the Kids Are Alright photoshop contest. Submissions have been slow to arrive so instead of canceling the contest outright, I plan to extend it indefinitely until we get enough entries to make it worthwhile. There's a $150 in free food and booze at stake here folks, so get on it!

PS - You will notice some McKeen's Hockey banners popping up around here and across the network starting today. We'll have another announcement about that within the week.

#1 Arik
September 01 2012, 10:58AM

Wasn't that girl in an episode of Psych?

#2 Vintage Flame
September 01 2012, 11:22AM

I knew I recognized Keeso from somewhere. He was the guy that played Don Cherry in the CBC mini series that they did, "Keep your head up kid". He would be a lot of fun to work with down the road.

Come on guys... Get those photoshops in to Kent. I don't want to see "The Big Jankowski" go to waste... That or I'll just tell Kent to give me the prize :-)

#3 schevvy
September 01 2012, 12:20PM

It's all your fault Bubba!!

Interested to see this big addition to this site. I know everyone probably thought it was me but that is not the case! Hahahaha, kidding.

Kent, what are you gonna right about till November?? This lockout thing is brutal!

#6 Ryan Pike
September 01 2012, 12:46PM

@schevvy

In the event of a lock-out, I'll probably visit Abbotsford for a week or so and report back.

I'm also going to be at the rink fairly regularly doing prospect scouting for The Hockey Writers, which also gives me time to check out the Flames prospects in the Dub.

Not to mention constantly calling around to see how the kids in Europe, the NCAA, the OHL and the QMJHL are doing.

We could fill this entire page with minor pro and junior updates and still have things we're not covering.

#7 Tommynotsohuge
September 01 2012, 02:59PM

I have no doubt you guys will keep us entertained during the lockout, Ryan. I don't think we will be without NHL hockey the whole season again. My optimistic guess would be mid to late November. maybe cut down to a 60 or so game season. I wouldn't mind seeing the other smaller leagues get a boost in ratings though. Do you guys know if any cable networks cover NCAA hockey? I would love to see The Big Jankowski, Gudreau and co. in action this season

#8 Wanyes bastard child
September 01 2012, 03:49PM

Hey...I never authorized this.

#10 Ryan Pike
September 01 2012, 04:33PM

@Tommynotsohuge

The CBS Sports Network carried a few BC games last season. I've yet to see a schedule for them yet, though.

They SHOULD be carrying the Frozen Four in April, though.

#11 Tommynotsohuge
September 01 2012, 05:02PM

@Ryan Pike

Cheers man. I'll keep my eyes open

#12 Wanyes bastard child
September 01 2012, 05:07PM

@Kent Wilson

Aw shucks :(

September 01 2012, 09:24PM

Woohoo!

#14 bookofloob
September 02 2012, 05:04PM

Oh hey guys

#15 Wanyes bastard child
September 02 2012, 06:51PM
bookofloob wrote:

Oh hey guys

Just so you know, I'm available tuesdays and thursday nights for your required rookie dinner buy. Kent did mention that right?

#16 RKD
September 03 2012, 12:33PM

Entertaining video, Nail Yakupoverty is classic!

#17 Vintage Flame
September 03 2012, 01:12PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Yup.. That's a given. I'm good for those days as well.

#18 bookofloob
September 03 2012, 07:39PM

Sorry guys, that's not going to work for me

#19 Ryan Pike
September 03 2012, 08:34PM

I'm glad I'm not the rookie anymore.

#20 Wanyes bastard child
September 03 2012, 08:57PM

Well I can give up my poker* friday night if that works better for you?

*By poker I mean our D&D night in buddies mom's basement...

#21 Bean-counting cowboy
September 04 2012, 10:53AM

I hope the big addition is Steinberg coming back. I apologize if I spoil the annoucement.