Flames News Round-Up, September 5 2012

Ryan Pike
September 05 2012 09:09AM

There may be no CBA movement in the NHL, but the Canadian Hockey League chugs towards the beginning of the regular season AND things are kicking off in Europe!

Sieloff Impressing in Windsor And Junior Jumble

Sports Illustrated's Allan Muir had some nice words for Flames 2012 second round pick Patrick Sieloff this past week.

Writing just as Sieloff was beginning the pre-season with the OHL's Windsor Spitfires, Muir praised Sieloff's bone-rattling hits. Fans who saw him at Flames development camp in July saw that first-hand, albeit in his truncated on-ice appearance. But one particular quote gave me goosebumps.

"If he's hitting his teammates like this," one scout said after a recent scrimmage, "I can't wait to see him when he goes up against the guys he's supposed to hurt."

- With some uncertainty surrounding the 2012-13 NHL season, and a glut of AHL bodies, it appears Flames prospect Turner Elson may begin the season in the WHL.

Elson is one of several Flames WHL prospects with 1992 birthdays – along with Sven Baertschi, Michael Ferland and Max Reinhart – who are eligible to return to junior for their over-age year. Unlike Reinnhart and company, Elson likely won't be turning pro this year, instead choosing one last season with Brent Sutter's Red Deer Rebels.

That's probably a good choice for Elson at this point. The Abbotsford Heat are going to be jam packed with other rookies who are likely to get more ice time, so he'd probably end up either a healthy scratch or in the ECHL as a pro this year.

KHL season begins And Ferland Case Pushed Back

In other news, Avangard Omsk began their regular season on Tuesday with a 3-2 shootout loss to the defending Gagarin Cup winners, Dynamo Moscow. Flames prospect Karri Ramo had 26 saves in regulation, but gave up two goals on two shootout attempts to end the game for his team.

- Due to a delay with disclosure of information, the court date for Flames prospect Michael Ferland has been bumped back to September 18, according to the Calgary Herald.

Ferland was charged in early August in connection with an incident outside a Cochrane bar in late July.

Phaneuf Engaged

Former Flames alternate captain Dion Phaneuf got engaged to actress Elisha Cuthbert this past week in PEI. It'll be the first marriage for both, so please, no sloppy seconds jokes.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
#1 Steve
September 05 2012, 12:06PM

Hope Ferland gets straightened out. I was really looking forward to seeing what he and Reinhart can do in Abby this year.

Sieloff - I'm not big on big hitting d-men, but I guess it would be nice to have at least one. As long as he's not giving up scoring chances to deliver those hits.

Elson was very good at development camp. I definitely thought he was ready to play pro. Even ECHL would be better than the dub. I don't know what he's going to learn there.

September 05 2012, 12:34PM

@Steve

I'm also dubious about the value of big hitting d-man. It's not a bad thing per se to be able to hit hard, but it also doesn't make up for other deficiencies.

If the guy can adequately defend and lay out some bodies though? That's good news.

#3 BCFLAME
September 05 2012, 04:04PM

@Kent Wilson

He's supposed to be a very good, mobile, shut-down d-man. We'll see how he turns out.

#4 BurningSensation
September 05 2012, 04:04PM

Personally I always squealed with joy when Regeher pasted Hemsky into the glass, having another guy like that around wouldn't suck.

September 05 2012, 05:01PM

@BCFLAME

Yeah I saw him at the dev camp. Had some issues moving the puck at times, but that mostly decision making and he was playing against a lot of older guys. He's actually not that big or plodding, so he shouldn't have the mobility issues that typically larger heavy hitters have.

It will be very interesting to see how he does in the CHL this year.

#6 bookofloob
September 05 2012, 05:58PM

I love big hitting defensemen. I know it means nothing in the long run if they can't defend, but I don't know, I like the aesthetics, I guess.

That said, my thoughts on guys that can do it are like guys that can fight: I like it, but their game had better be more well rounded than that. Cory Sarich can lay guys out, but that's it. I will love it if Sieloff can wallpaper guys, but if he tries any of that Rhett Warrener starfish crap I saw him try in the development camp, I want him gone pronto.

#7 Chris
September 07 2012, 01:16AM

The NHL is obviously the best hockey league in the world.

But now that it's going to be on hold for a while, what's the second best league? The KHL? The Swedish Elite League? The AHL?

I'd probably have to say the KHL, given the talent and money that league has.

What do you think?