New Season Business and Site Notes

January 21 2013 09:13AM

The outcome yesterday may have been disappointing but we here at FN are nevertheless happy and thankful for NHL hockey to be back on. We'd also like to take this time to thank those of you who stuck around through the dark lock-out months when we were talking about prospects and lawyers every other day. To those readers returning after the long wait, welcome back! We're glad you weren't too jaded by the work stoppage.

And finally to any new readers we've gathered, well..I hope you're prepared to argue your viewpoint in the comments for days on end. The traffic and chatter has been excellent since the lawyers and union heads decided to get out of the way, so once again thanks to all of you.

Anyways, with the Flames back at it tonight, there's a few sites notes I want to share before we get back to the action.

Sponsors and Stickers

In order for us to do what we do, advertising is a necessity. It can be an unfortunate, unappealing necessity at some places, but we try to get deals done with advertisers who are fun, interesting or at least willing to give us and our readers free stuff.

Which brings me to my next point - as you can plainly see, the Tilted Kilt pub is FlamesNation's first primary sponsor this year (and in the site's history in fact). They're first location in town is located down on 17th and 4th and from what they've told us, they really, really want to be a destination bar for Flames fans.

We haven't worked out the details yet, but the plan is to host some FN gameday gatherings there, hopefully with a few benefits for FN readers thrown in. Details will be shared when they are worked out.

In addition, our friends at Jet Label have agreed to provide us with some free swag for anyone who wants it. You'll notice a stickers button in the navigation bar above where you can click and order some FN stickers if you so desire. We're going to mail them out once and month and limit them to one order per household since it's, you know, free and stuff.

Also, if you are on twitter or occasionally read the enemies thoughts at OilersNation, you probably noticed Wanye selling off ON Hoodies. I talked with him over the weekend and it's possible we could do something like that 'round these parts, as long as there is enough demand for us to put together an order (50 or more).

For the hoodies, we'd likely do something similar to the Gaudreau shirt thing - take orders until we reach a threshold amount and then buy and ship that amount. As you can imagine, it doesn't make much sense for us to buy a few hundred shirts and then hope to sell them - the Nations doesn't exactly have a warehouse to stock inventory.

This is an initial fact finding mission, so let me know if a hoodie would indeed appeal to you or not. If there seems to be something there, we will take the next steps and get back to everyone with specifics.

Also, I hope some of you are participating in the First Annual Nations Charity Draft. I don't know how Wanye and company managed to get the prizes that they did, but there's some good stuff in there.

Finally, if you are a prospective advertiser or sponsor who wants to get involved with FlamesNation or the Nations in general, please feel free to contact me directly (kent.wilson@gmail.com) and I will provide you will all the information you require (and probably some you may not).

Anyways, enough of the business side of things. Back to your regularly scheduled hockey talk...

#1 kittensandcookies
January 21 2013, 09:33AM

Is "Wanye"'s name actually "Wan Ye" or is he just "Wayne" with a twist?

#2 icedawg_42
January 21 2013, 09:42AM

we should totally do hoodies with the Flames' logo on the front and in huge letters "ICEDAWG_42 RULZ And VF Is Shallow And Pedantic" on the back.

#3 mslepp
January 21 2013, 09:47AM

keep up the good work.

#4 Ruhee
January 21 2013, 10:04AM

I'd buy a hoodie. As long as you'd ship it to Ontario, anyway (I live in enemy territory now).

#5 ChaoticBoredom
January 21 2013, 10:08AM

So that's why the FlamesNation site suddenly has a green background...confused the hell outta me a few days back.

#8 RexLibris
January 21 2013, 10:15AM

"Also, if you are on twitter or occasionally read the enemies thoughts at OilersNation"

You mean those voices belong to you, Kent? GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

#9 RexLibris
January 21 2013, 10:16AM

Think "Kanye West".

Which raises some interesting Kardashian angles. I'm surprised Lowetide hasn't explored that aesthetic in an article as a special homage.

#10 jbeach403
January 21 2013, 10:40AM

If the hoodies become avaliable I'll order one, assumeing they're avaliable in the fat man sizes I require.

#12 backburner
January 21 2013, 11:01AM

@Kent Wilson

Thanks for the good work you do in making this a fun sit to visit and do what's really important in life... procrastinate from the work I should be doing.

#14 Ryan Pike
January 21 2013, 11:24AM

It's also really fun to be part of such a passionate sports community. This is not work for us.

#16 Ryan Pike
January 21 2013, 11:34AM

@Kent Wilson

True.
What other line of work involves discussing puck possession with Mikael Backlund or draft picks with Jay Feaster?

#17 Tach
January 21 2013, 12:24PM

Current sticker options appear limited to OilersNation. While I may need a supply of toilet paper soon enough, a FlamesNation one would be much more my style.

#18 loudogYYC
January 21 2013, 01:09PM

I'd be down for a hoodie too, Kent. My guess is that it can't carry the actual Flaming C for legal/trademark reasons?

Either way, it'll probably look better than an Oilers Nation hoodie so put me down for one.

Thanks!

#20 VK63
January 21 2013, 01:28PM

I could be coaxed into (at least) 6 hoodies for customers. Depending on the realization of that 50 number I could probably solicit more flames boosters to wear said swag.

Just let me know.

it is The Year of the Wanye after all!! :-))

#21 Tartan Flame
January 21 2013, 01:32PM

To support Sven & just like SNL "I gotta have more Cowbell" with a cowbell pic for all things Swiss

#23 Vintage Flame
January 21 2013, 01:50PM

You know I'm down for a hoodie Kent.

#24 GermanFlame
January 21 2013, 02:43PM

Count me in for a hoodie!

FN gameday gtherings have me interested as well. Keep up the great work!