Flames Scoring Chance Totals So Far

January 30 2013 10:45AM

- Image courtesy Hockey By Design

As you all may know, we continue to count scoring chances here at FN as we have the last couple of years. The handy application we used in the past is currently down, so instead we have taken to excel spreadsheets to get the work done. It makes for less detailed analysis because we can't get differentials for individual players, but some information is better than nothing.

I started on game 2, so there is only three games of data so far.

First, game 2 versus the Ducks

Period CGY ANA   PP SH
1 4 7   2 1
2 10 1
3 4 9   ESFOR ESAGAINST
  18 17   16 16

Although it contained wild swings with each club dominating a period, it was actually a closely contested match overall. Both teams managed 16 chances at even strength by my count, so this one really could have gone either way.

Game 3 vs Vancouver

Period CGY VAN   PP SH
1 5 3   2 2
2 4 6
3 4 4   ESFOR ESAGAINST
4 1 1   11 11
  14 14

Justin Azevedo counted this game and it wasn't drastically different than the previously match. Less chances overall, but again each team won a period and then settled in a tie by the end of the game. It's appropriate that this one went to a shoot-out.

Period CGY EDM   PP SH
1 4 6   4 1
2 9 4
3 5 3   ESFOR ESAGAINST
  18 13   14 10

The first game this year the Flames convincingly outchanced their opponent was their first win as well. Calgary dominated the proceedings starting in the second period, especially if you consider that two of the Oilers three chances in the third came with the goalie pulled in the final 30 seconds of the game.

Total Chances

For Against ES For ES Against
game 2 ANA 18 17 16 16
game 3 VAN 14 14 11 11
game 4 EDM 18 13 14 10
Total 50 44 41 37

Some decent totals and differentials for the club through three games. Counting more than 10 chances in a night became an issue for the Flames last year - they frequently struggled to get into the double digits over long stretches of 2011-12. Kiprusoff's Vezina caliber January-February masked those struggles to an extent, but the truth is the team spent a lot of time in its own end last year and would have been out of contention by the beginning of March without that Kipper hot stretch.

That hasn't been the story under Hartley so far though. Calgary has been chasing in a few of these games and there have been terrible periods here and there, but overall they have managed to be a bit better than even in aggregate, which is an improvement.

Caveat emptor as usual: only three games in, new season, new coach, etc etc. This is only a hint of what the team may or may not be - we'll need to wait at least 20 games ot really get a feel for the club and its capabilities.

Other Stuff - Promotions and Press Passes

- More than few folks are apparently interested in writing for the Jets. I got so many good applications that I decided to go with a month long audition period for all the hopefuls at JN, starting in February. Each guy will get a chance to submit articles through the 4 weeks and I'll use that work to determine who we would like to add to the team.

It would help if FN readers could swing by JN from time-to-time to check out the offerings. Share your thoughts, appraisals, etc. in the comment section.

- The first Tilted Kilt FN game event is on for this Thursday, Jan 31st when the Flames face the Avalanche. TK has agreed to give out $10 gift certificates to the first 25 FN citizens who walk in the doors that night to watch the game. Simply go in and let the waitress/floor manager know you're there because of FlamesNation and they'll give you $10 in "Kilt Bucks" to use as you see fit.

In addition, they are running their puck prize promotion, where everyone who attends will get a numbered puck and if the corresponding player scores or fights...more prizes! Yay!

This is a first run for us at TK and I hope to improve and expand on FN-centric prizes and promotions going forward. A healthy contingent of FlamesNation readers this Thursday would help me convince them to do that, so if you're free consider swinging by with a friend or 5 and having a bite to eat or a brew. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments or via email.

- Sven Baertschi was apparently hurt in practice yesterday. The Flames haven't reported the severity of the problem, but he left the ice and didn't return. Ryan Pike is at practice this morning and will let us know if he is back in action or not.

- In KW news, the Flames have finally relented and offered me a press pass for this season, which covers Flames games and practices. I have operated a long time without access so I'm not even quite sure how or to what degree this will change my work here or coverage of the team, but it's nice to be "legit". Thanks to Sean Kelso and Peter Hanlon for considering me and giving a pantless, basement dwelling blogger a chance.

- Finally, make sure to check out that freeroll draft stuff if you haven't already. Free team, free cash if you win, doesn't last all year. Easy peasy.

#1 Vowswithin
January 30 2013, 11:32AM

Congrats on the press pass kent

BTW Zach Boychuck worth picking off waivers for free?

#3 Vowswithin
January 30 2013, 11:43AM

Thanks VW.

I don't think so. He's been just okay in the AHL over the years and the Flames parent roster is stuffed.

If they could trade something nominal for him and put him in the minors themselves it would make more senses.

Ya that's true if we take him he's up on the team, not down I the a. Well there is always the islanders who scoop all that comes their way ;)

Would be nice to have to try and improve our AHL team If Baertschi is out for even a bit I wonder who might get called up (if anyone).

#4 Vowswithin
January 30 2013, 11:46AM

Btw there isn't a way to edit our posts after is there? I always comment from my cell and it kills me later when I see some of the autocorrects or punctuation mistakes.

#6 suba steve
January 30 2013, 12:16PM

An edit button appears in my comment window for everyone, but I'm not sure that's available to commenters.

I can edit my posts. button right beside "reply".

#7 seve927
January 30 2013, 12:16PM
Vowswithin wrote:

I think you just need to be logged in. It looks like you're posting without logging in, right? Mine are editable.

#10 Section205
January 30 2013, 12:34PM

If you are interested in Game 1 info, fearthefin.com had a statistical analysis on the Sharks/Flames game.

A quick summary:

EV scoring chances 14-8 for the Flames. Almost all sharks were negative +/- in chances, only Pavelski was +1.

First period was all Flames. Third period Sharks were underwhelming and content to protect a two goal lead.

Sharks third line got smoked by Baertschi and Backlund.

Iggy/Tanguay played Thornton's line for a period and a half and did well. Then Hartley switches to match Stajan/Horak with Thornton/Marleau and that is when Thornton line capitalizes (they all had positive Corsi for the game). Particular mention of poor defensive reads by Horak on Marleau's 2nd goal.

On their comments page, they basically said sharks were lucky to win thanks to Niemi being their best player. I assume they are thinking 1st period in particular when, IMO, it could have been 3-0 Calgary.

January 30 2013, 12:48PM

Good find and summation.

That puts the Flames at +55 (-45) at ES through 4 games. Not too shabby.

Especially given that the opponents included two upper-tier teams and one mid-tier team.

#13 Vowswithin
January 30 2013, 12:49PM

TESTING EDIT 123

Ahh ok I see I was commenting not logged in then trying to edit and it wasnt showing up. I kind of assumed I had to be logged in to edit but I forgot the other half.... :-) Thanks (so much for being a computer programmer)

#14 Section205
January 30 2013, 12:52PM

@SmellOfVictory

Not to mention one team of young turks.

#15 Vowswithin
January 30 2013, 12:57PM

Good find and summation.

That puts the Flames at +55 (-45) at ES through 4 games. Not too shabby.

That is the other side of things, the causal fan looks at the score at the end of the game and that's how they figure out if it was close or not. It is a lot more important to know what sort of chances we had and if the other team got really lucky. Over a season those bits of luck would likely even out for our team and if we are not getting our heads bashed in then surely we are being competitive!?

#16 Stunner
January 30 2013, 01:56PM

Congrats on the Press Pass Kent!! Well deserved. Looking forward to your upcoming material. I also heard Cervenka had a 'maintenance day'. Hopefully he's not hurt after one game.

#17 T&A4Flames
January 30 2013, 02:05PM
Stunner wrote:

Maybe just some post-blood clot rest.

#18 Danger
January 30 2013, 02:36PM

@Kent

Congrats indeed on the press pass, but does this mean you'll have to start wearing pants when you write? As a telecommuter myself, I know that would be a steep price to pay :)

#20 funkyjaman
January 30 2013, 03:21PM

Just think of all the "Pant Parties" you can go to now! Congrats!

#21 Emir
January 30 2013, 05:18PM

Congrats on the press pass Kent!

#23 J.M Jet
January 30 2013, 10:30PM

Congrats on being "legit" all while remaining pantsless, its a tough feat to accomplish.

#24 Ryan Pike
January 31 2013, 01:11PM

Between admitting myself and Kent, it's obvious that standards are falling at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
Or perhaps a second, un-related thing.