Sean Monahan - Proceed with Caution

Kent Wilson
October 11 2013 09:57AM

 

 

Hype is a funny thing.

At first, it's a sort of happy delirium, like a narcotic that smooths the rough edges of reality and suggests a future of boundless optimism and success. When it recedes, however, and the truth is rendered in cruel relief against those impossibly raised expectations, the hang-over can be...unpleasant.

Which brings us to the topic at hand. Sean Monahan has started his NHL career with a bang. Three goals and five points in just four games. He is outscoring much more celebrated offensive talents from his draft season, including Nate MacKinnon, Valery Nichushkin, Aleksandr Barkov and Elias Lindholm. In fact, amongst NHL rookies so far this year, only Tomas Hertl - he of the four goal game - has more points than Calgary's 6th overall pick.

It's been a very long time in Calgary since a forward prospect burst through the doors and established himself as an elite NHLer. The last guy to do it was Jarome Iginla. With him gone and the rebuild in full swing, we're desperate for a new saviour to arrive in Flamestown. Monahan's draft pedigree and his early success have some fashioning hero's garb for the youngster already.

Monahan may actually become that player at some point. But the journey to there from here is a long one with many twists and bumps in the road. His early success is fun and it's encouraging, but it's not necessarily indicative of anything just yet. Like Sven Baertschi's introductory three goal outburst as a 19-year old, Monahan's team leading five points is, at best, a teaser to a much longer film. At worst, it's a run of fortune that will cause Jay Feaster to lament the effect of impossibly raised expectations a year from now. 

Four games is a tiny sample size. And weird things happen in small numbers. Monahan's personal shooting percentage right now is 25%, or about double what you'd expect a competent goal scorer in the NHL to manage. His one-ice SH% (that rate at which all pucks have gone in the net) at even strength this year is a mind-boggling 22% - about 300% higher than the league average (8%) and about 100% higher than Sidney Crosby or a competent PP would manage.

Which is to say, the puck has bounced right (very right) for Monahan in his first four games. As it did for Sven in those first three games. That's not to say the players didn't "deserve" their points in each instance - none of the markers in question were random bounces off of legs or empty-netters. But the NHL is a difficult league and scoring is notoriously fickle. Remember, on-ice SH% almost always regresses towards the mean (8%) on a long-enough time line - which means Monahan isn't going to continue to score at will. Heck, even if he's Sidney Crosby's offensive equal (he's not), Monahan's ES goal frequency is still bound to be cut in half

That's an easy to point to understand conceptually, but an important truth I've learned in writing critically about hockey is that performance almost always equals perception in the general fanship's minds eye. With "offensive results" almost always being a proxy for "performance" (unless a guy is a role player who gets a pass for working hard and trying to hurt the opposition).

Unfortunately, performance does not always equal true talent, since factors like luck and circumstances have a non-trivial effect on outcomes in the league. Results jump up and down around the mean with the bounces, and often, so too do the general sentiments of a player's abilities and value.

There's lots and lots to like about Monahan's game as teenager in this league. He's already poised, methodical and thoughtful, which are hurdles many kids never clear on their way to the show. He's big, strong and looks like he'll be able to play in all areas of the ice. There are reasons to be excited about the player.

But the team and the fans need to proceed with caution. Monahan's output has been goosed by a spike in percentages that is not going to persist. Our evaluation of his talents have therefore been similarly skewed. Very soon, the organization will need to make a decision about whether to send Monahan down to junior or burn a year of his entry-level deal in the show this season. Right now, it seems like a no-brainer to keep him, but the decision makers need to recognize the transient nature of his current output ri and try to project how they would view him if only one puck had gone in for him so far. Or How they'll like the decision to keep him if the kid goes pointless for a 10-game stretch mid-season, which is entirely possible.

I'd suggest Flames fans also need to temper their expectations a bit, because the kid isn't going to score 102 points as a 19 year old rookie and there are going to be rough patches at some point, be it this year if he stays up, or next year when he makes the team full time for sure. Sven Baertschi, who is probably the best pure offensive talent in the Flames pro ranks currently, is now enduring some of the unpleasant consequences of the hype that an early hot streak can cause.

As a fan, I'm enjoying Monahan's impressive run, but also steeling myself for the inevitable downturn. He remains one of the club's most important prospects and is likely a key contributor in the near future, but he still has a long way to go before he truly becomes that guy. 

Around the Nation

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
Former Nations Overlord. Current FN contributor and curmudgeon For questions, complaints, criticisms, etc contact Kent @ kent.wilson@gmail. Follow him on Twitter here.
Avatar
#52 icedawg_42
October 11 2013, 10:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@Kent Wilson

I would hope (REALLY hope) that Monahan's point production is a secondary criteria for management to decide if he stays or goes. We all know that has to tail off somewhat. It's how he deals with it, and deals with the day to day life of being a pro that matter.

Avatar
#53 Johnny Be Gaudreau
October 11 2013, 10:27AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

On an unrelated note. Man how about that awesome culture in Edmonton. What is it shall we call it the draft first finish last culture? way to go OIl!

Avatar
#54 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 11:21AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

@Captain Ron

i simply stated that because it has a huge effect on his scoring potential. harder minutes - which will come over the course of the season - will leave him beaten.

grigorenko and matteau last year alone off the top of my head played about 25 out of 40 games, being healthy scratches for double-digit gp. it happens.

Avatar
#55 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 11:35AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
2
props

@Jeff Lebowski

haha oh boy don't pull the "do you watch the games" line on me.

once again, you're getting caught up in the numbers. it doesn't matter how long the puck is on his stick. when he's on the ice, if he has a positive corsi, the team is likely out-possessing (i.e. controlling the play) the other team.

on-the-fly shifts generally even out over the course of a season, which is why we don't put as much focus on them.

unless i'm missing something, corsi tracks exactly what you're looking for.

Avatar
#56 everton fc
October 11 2013, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Jeff Lebowski wrote:

Respectfully, I disagree. He may in fact, start shifts after a whistle in the ozone 60% of the time but there are shifts on the fly as well.

I've noticed shifts against 1st and 2nd lines as well. Also, which D pairings is he seeing? I was at MTL game. 23 saw a lot of 76. He gets some tough minutes from the D used against him.

His game is not like a RNH. He isn't going to hold the puck a lot, he moves it quickly. To the eye it doesn't seem like possession. Regardless of where the shift starts, where does it end? I don't see him getting hemmed in.

All players make mistakes. He's in the league for the first time, learning on the fly. +2 for scoring chances (which I assume doesn't include attempted scoring chance shots- if you follow what I mean- you do all the right things, say cycle the puck, you work a chance but the attempted is blocked or tightly checked-you have to give credit for setting up the attempted chance)seems pretty good!

I've seen 13 min ice time 5 shots. Those 5 shots are coming from the area of ice that opponents defend desperately aka middle of the ice/scoring area.

I've also watched how he defends his scoring area. Minuses are not always because of his poor play. There are some but again he improves.

I'm not going to change any minds that are already made up. It's just, are you actually watching him or are you applying the judgement after the stats come in? And what is the real value of those stats?

Lastly, he's having fun and so am I. I can only imagine how his family feels. Or how staying in the NHL would help him help his family (parents retire, he buys their house etc). These are human beings after all.

Excellent take, Jeff. I am on the same page. We forget the human element of these youngsters. And the pros. Some of them, anyway. May get tainted with age, experience, money, and become tools. Jerks. And so on.

I'll never forget when Primeau was traded here from the Bruins. How he talked about not even having the chance to say farewell for a while, to his wife and kids. Didn't see them for months. As a husband/father-of-four, I can relate. Absolutely. May players probably don't care. Some do. I remember Brendhan Morrison having the same sentiments...

Keep him up. Perhaps we'll be talking more about Baertcshi in Abby, and Horak in Calgary? Perhaps we will, soon enough. I hope not. I hope the best, for our kids. And our club.

Avatar
#57 piscera.infada
October 11 2013, 11:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@Justin Azevedo

...also i look forward to the day where people actually say why they disagree with me instead of just blindly mashing the trash button on my comments.

I disagree. Better?

There's almost as little sense in getting so worked up about him staying as there is in thinking he's Jesus on skates because he's riding high percentages and got off to a hot start.

I think the rebuild makes everyone go a little crazy. I doubt he'll be hurt at all being sent down, but I'm also starting to doubt the perceived absolute deleterious effects on his career if he does stay. The first year of his ELC is something I care so little about that knowing his favorite color in grade 3 would be a more convincing argument as to whether he stays or goes - but that's just me.

Avatar
#58 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 11:55AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
2
props

@piscera.infada

how much better would edmonton look next season if they spent 5 million on a #2 defenseman? they can't now because of rnh's contract.

had rnh stayed in junior a year, they would be better overall: a good player on top of rnh at the same level of play. blackhawks were a perfect example of this once rocky died. that's the type of economic impact a year of playing 12:00 minutes a game can have

Avatar
#59 durrrr
October 11 2013, 11:55AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

@Justin Azevedo

Well you posted he is +2 in scoring chances. And he's getting favorable zone starts. Which seems actually kind of good for a 19 year old rookie 3 games into the season. I don't have all those fancy stats at my finger tips, so why don't you elaborate on your findings? Um... keep in mind that you have a sample size of 3 games.

Anyway, for a guy who's 6'2 and 187 lbs (at draft time), how is spending a year in the OHL going to make him a better player next year in the NHL over spending this year in the NHL. You know assuming the Flames give him decent icetime and linemates...

Avatar
#60 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 11:59AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
2
props

@durrrr

+2 in scoring chances isn't really anything over the course of 4 games: there's already been almost 60 chances for and 60 against.

I think you misunderstand the value of the zone start stat: favourable zone starts are designed by the coach to give a player a leg up when starting a shift. it is not inherently an evaluation of the way a player is playing.

he has a 60% zone start, which means his numbers should be better than they actually are. i realize it's only 4 games, but there's only 9 games to evaluate this kid so while sample size has to be taken into account so does the urgency of the decision to keep him up or send him down.

Avatar
#61 cccsberg
October 11 2013, 12:06PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props
Jeff Lebowski wrote:

Interesting points. However, I can't see anything about his scoring chance created rate because FN either doesn't track it or sees little value in tracking it. Either way, to me the analysis on any player is therefore incomplete.

Can advanced stats (the ones used extensively here) tell us how many chances he creates in the scoring area (even attempts, not just actual shots). Does 23 get out on ice, get in ozone and set up attempts in the middle of the ice or other tightly defended areas of the ice? Does the opponent see an increase in scoring chance attempted rate when 23 is on ice? How many shifts does 23 share with the 44-55 D pairing for CGY? That to me is indicative of how he is playing, not goals and assists (although if you look at all his points you see it's not bounces per se but hockey IQ), and NOT CORSI as Lambert tried to emphasize.

Again, I understand value of advanced stats. I realize people mention the limitations of Corsi but after stating limitation they use the stat as evidence to bolster their point. It's just that Corsi would be useful if we were watching professional table top hockey - think about it. Players move north and south, the point is to shoot on net as soon as you get puck, since every inch of the playing area is a prime scoring spot. That's what Corsi seems to imply.

It's not telling you anything interesting.

The way I understand your point is, there will be an inevitable regression to the mean for this player. Don't be blown away by a hot streak. There will be tough periods ahead (some even say 23 is having them now ie -3 games etc). Fair comment.

I look at those 'mistakes' those missed assignments, as NOT bad. It's NOT hurting his development. In fact it's helping.

Mistakes just show you where you need to improve. They should be embraced. The remarkable thing with 23, is he doesn't seem to make the same ones twice. Even in game. He self corrects rather quickly. Another way to describe this is called progression. He puts in the work and improves. Watching him, not assessing and waiting for the regression to mean, is how you ACCURATELY assess this progression.

And this to me is the key point. Is he progressing? Hartley has said, there is still a lot of Junior plays in his game. Mistakes really. Is the answer to removing the junior mistakes to send him back to junior? Really?

I'm not as adamant that he should stay. I really think the full 9 should be used but after those you see has he corrected the errors and is he still creating scoring chances in 13 min of ice time?

-As a note, my intention is not to ridicule the use of advanced stats. I deeply respect the curiosity, just questioning how advanced they really are, I mean linear regressions, means etc for a non linear dynamic system (what hockey is)? Somebody should employ the brains at the Santa Fe Institute if you really wanted interesting data.

Of course, I am no expert. I might be too simple. Or I might be bang on. Troy award was on fan. He said interesting things about how they track player on ice performance hint: scoring chances. Something to think about

Would agree with most of your comment. The advanced stats show a general trend but aren't that advanced as there are other factors to consider. Growth, attitude, and ability to work with the best coaches/systems are more important to his overall growth. Also, there's the perception issue i.e. performance-based rewards impact not only him but others on the team. If Monohan's earned it to stay he should stay, period.

There seems to be so much concern on this site about burning a year of ECL but how/where on the Flames has that been an issue in the past? I can't recall one. Just because Edmonton has boxed themselves in with the ridiculous $6mm contracts to multi players and built cliques within the dressing room instead of building the team doesn't mean it'd happen here or that we should be particularly worried about it. We could just as easily use Detroit as THE model for good, sensible contracts for players that have actually earned it. I think if you start off with the right attitudes and team-based thinking from the start, and from the top down, which Calgary is doing you'll have a pretty good chance of being successful with any potential contract issues down the road....

Avatar
#62 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 12:08PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
2
props

@Jeff Lebowski

over the course of a season, shot quality does not matter.

"likely" means there's times where he's marginally positive or negative over a game due to one bad shift, but that equals out over the course of 82 games.

if i see a negative corsi for monahan or any other player that indicates to me when he was on the ice the flames didn't have the puck as much as the other team did when he was out there.

we track scoring chances to answer your last question. if it's not a chance, it's a "low percentage" shot.

Avatar
#63 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 12:10PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
2
props

@Schmenkley

that doesn't really matter to me or to the context of the stat.

his zonestarts tell me that his other results aren't up to snuff.

Avatar
#64 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 12:39PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
2
props

@Jeff Lebowski

like i said above, i'd like to have a much bigger sample size but the 9 game max demands a smaller one. based on past data we know with a large amount of certainty that his scoring numbers will go down. we don't know that his corsi numbers will increase, so that's the difference there.

as for shot quality, http://www.arcticicehockey.com/shot-quality, specifically this one http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2011/10/25/2512376/luck-vs-shot-quality-in-shooting-percentage. i don't think i explained myself well.

Avatar
#65 cccsberg
October 11 2013, 12:55PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
2
props
Justin Azevedo wrote:

not quite. corsi measures everyone on the ice with the player - so even if he only has 2 or 3 shots in a game but scores on one of them, the other 4 guys on the ice might not score with 40 corsi attempts. thus, his sh% stays high but his corsi number also increases.

Still not clear... This is what I read about stats from the Canucks Nation site...

"WHAT THE HELL IS A CORSI?

Now, you might have looked at that chart from J.P. Nikota above and thought to yourself, "What the hell is a Corsi?" Well, I'm not going to get into where the term came from, but suffice it to say that Corsi refers to shot attempt differential. At the team level, that just means you add up all shot attempts for one team, including those that were blocked or missed the net, and subtract the shot attempts for the other team. At the player level, you do the same thing for all shot attempts for and against while that player was on the ice. The result can be expressed as a positive or negative number, or more often as a percentage. The latter is calculated simply by dividing shot attempts for by total shot attempts by both teams.

There are a number of variations on Corsi that try to factor in things starting from a face-off in the offensive or defensive zone, quality of teammates, quality of opposition, etc. One of the more common is CorsiRelative. Note, this is has nothing to do with that drunk uncle that shows up to all your family events:

No, CorsiRelative is the difference between an individual player's Corsi while he is on the ice and the rest of the team's Corsi while he is off the ice. This helps to pick out players that might be driving possession even though they play on a horrible team."

So, bear with me, but for understanding's sake. Let's assume both teams and all players have the same SOG and Shot% rates, and therefore the same CORSI's all around. This would be the baseline. If a single player then doubles his Shot% but everything else stays the same, his CORSI is going to go way down because he's not taking as many shots as "normal" and therefore not "driving possession". Instead of possession, he's scoring, which after all isn't that the ultimate goal here...?

Since I'm totally new to these stats let me know where I'm wrong. But otherwise it seems pretty clear to me that these 'advanced' stats aren't telling the whole story and are skewed by success due to scoring, versus what people are assuming is success, i.e. lots of shots and possession.

Avatar
#66 Parallex
October 11 2013, 01:43PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
2
props

@cccsberg

"There seems to be so much concern on this site about burning a year of ECL but how/where on the Flames has that been an issue in the past?"

... There has been no opportunity for this too be an issue. The Flames have not had a junior eligible prospect start the year with the team since the cap was introduced.

Ultimately it will become an issue because if he's kept up he'll end up getting paid more early then need be... to the Flames today that makes no difference but to a later interation of the Flames (one that spends to the Cap) it will be an issue as it will for at least one year eat up cap space that otherwise might have gone to enhancing the team elsewhere.

The only people that keeping Monahan up will help will be the fans that are like so many kids in December that don't have the patience to wait until Christmas to unwrap the new toys.

Avatar
#67 walter white
October 11 2013, 10:12AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
1
props

Send Monahan back after 6 games to work on his defensive game, then call him up the last 3 games of the season so he can play a few games with Gaudreau, Arnold etc.

2 unrelated topics:

Bodog has Hartly as the most likely coach to get fired now that Laviolette is gone from the flyers?? My money is on AV....

Stuart gets 3 games for an elbow on Nash, but Edler gets nothing for his elbow to the head of Hertl??? Canucks are the dirtiest team in the N! Come on Shanahan

WW

Avatar
#68 mattyc
October 11 2013, 10:41AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@Justin Azevedo

That's fair, and I imagine a lot of that will happen. I think (if he stays, obviously) he'll settle into the 3C role (behind Stajan and Backlund), so he'll still get some PP time (albeit not as much as now since we've got enough opportunities that Ben freaking Street plays the PP). It won't be this easy all year, but settling in the 30-35 point range sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Worst case scenario is he sticks and gets put in a 4th line role with the plugger du jour. I have to imagine that won't happen, given what we've heard Hartley and Feaster say, but who knows...

Avatar
#69 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Jeff Lebowski

we track scoring chances on the site. he's +2 for the year.

he plays 3rd and 4th line comp while starting in the ozone 60% of the time.

corsi is a proxy for possession. people get too caught up in the actual number of a player. to me, it looks like he gets out possessed on the ice. the numbers reflect that.

Avatar
#70 Brad
October 11 2013, 11:08AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
Justin Azevedo wrote:

no, you can still send him down until he reaches 41 (?) games played but yeah it burns the first year of his elc.

he gets 9 games - regardless in what configuration. as soon as he hits 10 gp his contract starts.

This may have changed on the new CBA, but I believe the 41 games is also what triggers buring a year of eligibility towards being a UFA. The contract itself burns a year at game 10, and then the UFA clock ticks at game 41.

But I cannot find anything except old CBA items regarding that.

Avatar
#71 DoubleDIon
October 11 2013, 11:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Justin Azevedo wrote:

we track scoring chances on the site. he's +2 for the year.

he plays 3rd and 4th line comp while starting in the ozone 60% of the time.

corsi is a proxy for possession. people get too caught up in the actual number of a player. to me, it looks like he gets out possessed on the ice. the numbers reflect that.

I agree that he is by eye currently getting out possessed. That said, his effort level is high on the back pressure and he looks strong enough. I think continued coaching and teaching along with league familiarity is the answer. I don't think it's a physical or effort thing. Lets be honest, who beyond ROR hasn't been out possessed their first few games? He's a smart, hard-working kid and I think he'll be above water at the end of a season.

Avatar
#72 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 11:23AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@DoubleDIon

my issue is that he hasn't been out-possessing in extremely sheltered minutes. his corsi rel and scoring chance numbers are marginally positive, but iirc everything else is negative.

Avatar
#73 everton fc
October 11 2013, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Johnny Be Gaudreau wrote:

Good Article Kent. Not what I was expecting.

I agree all of these are valid points and if any fans have the expectation of Monahan keeping this torrid pace up for the rest of the season then I yeah I can see what you mean by how they'd be disappointed. I recognize it's not sustainable. Like I said to a fellow twitterer the other day. No one should be expected to maintain a SH% into the 20's that's ludicrous.

The fact that he has started that high is an indication that the kid has some offensive upside and he can make some things happen. I am interested to see like everyone else, however, how he responds the first time he struggles. That will be the true test.

All that's left and what his staying or going comes down to for me is this. How will the coaches and management respond when he does struggle? If they can ride it out and let him struggle but continue to coach him through it and stick by him then he should stay. If they aren't comfortable doing that then he should go back to junior. I personally as others have mentioned feel that the finer things Sean will need to work on and develop cannot be further improved in the OHL. Is the OHL conducive to learning a more rounded and solid defensive game? not in my opinion. Will the OHL help him improve his face off percentage? Not in my opinion. He needs to play against NHLers and with NHLers to learn the tips and tricks in the face off. He needs to be there to feel the pressure from 6'3 215LLB guys on the forecheck or cycle hemming him into his own zone deep. He needs to learn that as a centre it's his job to support the D when they are trapped behind our net and that HE has to come out with the puck and put up the boards and get it out of the zone. And as far as I am concerned that is what he has to learn and the best place for him to do that and grow is in the big league.

Good response.

I think Monahan is much more mature than Baertschi now. Meaning Sven was not as mature professionally or physically, as Monahan if you compare their careers at the same mark. Hope this makes sense.

To me, Baertschi's very much a project. Monahan's not. Perhaps the hype went to Sven's head. It won't mess with Monahan's. That's how I see it, anyway. Monahan's a leader. Baertschi's a component, albeit a potential high-end component. Monahan can carry his teammates, on and off the ice. This is not Sven's pedigree.

What I'm getting at is this; Monahan may be emotionally ready for the NHL now. Baertschi may not be. I sometimes find myself wondering why we don't let Sven prove himself everyday in Abby. Is he as accomplished defencively as Monahan? What can Monahan learn in the OHL that Sven can't in Abby? Do you see my point, Flames fans? This is why I hope Monahan stays with the big club. We need not be gun-shy here. All they hype messes with the young guns who lack maturity. To me, this kid's already more mature than Baertschi. And he's already got the size to compete at this level. As for his offencive production, perhaps he turns into a very competent two-way centre and future captain, who scores 50-60 points a season. That's not bad. If he turns into an 80-90 point player, "so be it"!

Avatar
#74 Schmenkley
October 11 2013, 11:55AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

I would normally fully agree with the send him down after 9 crowd, but not for the economic reasoning; that lies fully in the hands of the Flames management and thear pocketbooks.

What I have seen so far from Monahan is an incredibly mature young player who is willing to make the commitment to improve and put in the work. This alone is EXTREMELY rare.

A sequence during the game against the Habs clearly illustrates his hockey IQ; faceoff in the calgary end, Hab player (can't remeber who) chips the puck intoo the corner around Monahan, blows by him and gains possession for Montreal. A couple minutes later, opposite end of the ice, Monahan uses the same move to gain possession in Habs end. Learning on the fly.

If you want to learn to be the BEST you need to compete and apply yourself against the BEST...that does NOT happen in the OHL.

Avatar
#75 cccsberg
October 11 2013, 12:15PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
Justin Azevedo wrote:

we track scoring chances on the site. he's +2 for the year.

he plays 3rd and 4th line comp while starting in the ozone 60% of the time.

corsi is a proxy for possession. people get too caught up in the actual number of a player. to me, it looks like he gets out possessed on the ice. the numbers reflect that.

Question: On the one hand its being said Monohan's SP% is way to high at 25%, while at the same time saying his CORSI is too low... did I get that right? Well, ummm if he's scoring more than normal (i.e. fewer shots to score) isn't his CORSI going to be artificially low because of that, all other things being equal? Iwould think that would be true, and there would be a similar correlation with other players with high SP% (e.g.Crosby, etc....).

Avatar
#76 TRAV
October 11 2013, 03:03PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@Kent Wilson

Lots of excellent back and forth on here regarding Monahan. I have heard Justin and Lambert pretty clearly about their position. What is yours Kent and why? Also what would be the tipping point for you either way?

Reading your article my take was cautious optimism. (does this equate to it being better to keep him or send him down?)

Avatar
#77 kittensandcookies
October 11 2013, 03:41PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@the-wolf

To be clear, there's what *we* think should happen to Monahan, and then there's what we think the *Flames* will do. They aren't necessarily the same action.

Avatar
#78 Kevin R
October 11 2013, 08:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
the-wolf wrote:

It's not I disagree with you per se, as mentioned I'm a lot more ok with him staying up now than before. However, you're looking at a very small amount of games coupled with sheltered circumstances and declaring Monahan and Sven as our best players?

Agree with your Oilers comments 100%, but they don't relate to what I was saying about them.

Again, it's about minutes vs competition. Playing a ton in every situation and having the time (and ice time) and space to implement, practice and hone everything you've learned vs superior players, but in sheltered circumstances and way less minutes. Something he'll face next year anyways. I just happen to lean in favor of the former.

Like I said, I was caught up with it too, but upon closer and more objective examination, while I wouldn't be annoyed if he stays up (at one time I would've been), I think going down is best long term.

But see, that's where this debate is. Is Monahan getting sheltered minutes or is he getting OS because they he has shown success & the best chance of capitalizing on a scoring chance in the offensive zone? It's no different than deciding who starts in net but that is decided by who the coach feels gives them the best success on the ice. I don't think Ramo is being sheltered anymore than Monahan.

I always thought improvement happens when you are challenged and play in situations where you must constantly elevate your play just to compete. That will not happen as much in 25 minutes a game in Junior compared to 14 minutes in the NHL. I know for a fact when I golf with better players, I play better than when I golf with the usual hacks like my normal game.

Avatar
#79 icedawg_42
October 11 2013, 10:45AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props

@mattyc

I would say that if Monahan starts getting 4th line minutes and linemates, I'll be among the first storming the gates demanding he get sent down. And Schevvy - be careful there, you don't wanna call down TEH thunder!

Avatar
#80 icedawg_42
October 11 2013, 10:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Justin Azevedo

So no matter what he can't get sent down after 10 games? (aka...fine send him down it still costs you a year of his ELC) - (and yes I realize this is bad business)....Someone suggested letting him play 6 or 7 then bring him back to finish the season - I kinda like that idea.

Avatar
#81 schevvy
October 11 2013, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@icedawg_42

If he plays more than 9 games I'd be stunned if they sent him back to junior. That's awful asset management if that happens

Avatar
#82 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 11:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@icedawg_42

no, you can still send him down until he reaches 41 (?) games played but yeah it burns the first year of his elc.

he gets 9 games - regardless in what configuration. as soon as he hits 10 gp his contract starts.

Avatar
#83 icedawg_42
October 11 2013, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
schevvy wrote:

If he plays more than 9 games I'd be stunned if they sent him back to junior. That's awful asset management if that happens

Yeah - I agree..but I was thinking of a scenario where he continues to light it up on the scoresheet for like 15 games, then drops off the face of the earth - "COULD" they still send him to junior. Jazzy answered that question.

And let me clarify - I think this would be worse than the worst case scenario! Hoping there's no way it comes to this.

Avatar
#84 kittensandcookies
October 11 2013, 11:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

102 points? Let's be realistic here. He's going to have 150 points this year.

He needs to stay up. He needs to play Edmonton so that he can use his heat vision on the Oilers' top players.

Avatar
#85 Southern_Point
October 11 2013, 12:13PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
0
props

Everyone pointing out Monahan's +2 scoring chance differential should note that in the first three games he was outchanced by a wide margin, which he made up for by having one excellent game against the habs.

Further for two of those first three games he was playing with our best possession forward in Stempniak and Baertschi who is typically a positive player possession wise as well, and yet that whole line was still getting severely outchanced.

I'm not taking a stance one way or another, just stating that a crash down to the mean will happen, however with the sample size being small it's entirely possible his chance differential and corsi rel will stabilize and end up being better then what we saw in the the first three games. We just don't know one way or another right now and probably won't until the decision gets made on whether ot not to keep him.

Avatar
#86 SmellOfVictory
October 11 2013, 02:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
cccsberg wrote:

Question: On the one hand its being said Monohan's SP% is way to high at 25%, while at the same time saying his CORSI is too low... did I get that right? Well, ummm if he's scoring more than normal (i.e. fewer shots to score) isn't his CORSI going to be artificially low because of that, all other things being equal? Iwould think that would be true, and there would be a similar correlation with other players with high SP% (e.g.Crosby, etc....).

Depends on the player. Some players with high SH% (like, skill-wise) have a high SH% because they absolutely pick their shots (Alex Tanguay, Curtis Glencross) and have low shot totals.

Most players with high SH% are simply better shooters than average (Crosby, Stamkos, Kovalchuk, Iginla); you look at those guys as examples and the number of shots they take, and it's way above league average. There's no real overarching correlation between SH% and shot totals.

If we're talking luck-based, as with Monahan currently (because there's no way in hell he's a 25% shooter, since literally nobody in the NHL is, career-wise), it shouldn't make a difference either. If you shoot the puck 3x/game on average, but one game your first two shots go in (still counted as shots), are you going to shoot less because you feel like you've filled your quota? Pretty unlikely.

And this would apply to on-ice SH% as well, just on a team scale. Shots go in, you're not going to start taking less than other players on your team just because your line happens to be getting offensive success.

Avatar
#87 cccsberg
October 11 2013, 03:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
SmellOfVictory wrote:

Depends on the player. Some players with high SH% (like, skill-wise) have a high SH% because they absolutely pick their shots (Alex Tanguay, Curtis Glencross) and have low shot totals.

Most players with high SH% are simply better shooters than average (Crosby, Stamkos, Kovalchuk, Iginla); you look at those guys as examples and the number of shots they take, and it's way above league average. There's no real overarching correlation between SH% and shot totals.

If we're talking luck-based, as with Monahan currently (because there's no way in hell he's a 25% shooter, since literally nobody in the NHL is, career-wise), it shouldn't make a difference either. If you shoot the puck 3x/game on average, but one game your first two shots go in (still counted as shots), are you going to shoot less because you feel like you've filled your quota? Pretty unlikely.

And this would apply to on-ice SH% as well, just on a team scale. Shots go in, you're not going to start taking less than other players on your team just because your line happens to be getting offensive success.

Very good points which I fully agree with, to a point. My thinking with higher SH%/lower CORSI was that with lower SH%, i.e. not scoring there's a higher likelihood of more immediate shots (multiple rebounds) than if you score and have to start back at center ice and work back into the offensive zone.

Avatar
#88 the-wolf
October 11 2013, 03:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kevin R wrote:

WTF!!!!!!!!

Jesus, anyone else out there that thinks if the Monahan/Sven line is the best line or most dangerous line on the team, then let the good times roll. So like if it works, lets change it in the name of perceived development. I say BS, if the kid can play & right now has more points than Iginla & Kesler & Marleau & Thornton & many other high profile NHL players, then let him play for crying out loud.

Wolf/Loudog: I don't want to be like the Oilers either, but the big difference is, that when these kids started to lose over & over & over again, year after year, Management chose to keep the lineup the same & roll these kids out for failure over & over & over again. Playing these very talented Oiler kids wasn't the mistake, it was the Oil Managements inability to bring in proper vets to assist in making these kids successful on the ice at the NHL level. 2 very different things. Someone is going to win the Calder trophy, why cant Monahan have that shot if he plays well enough?

It's not I disagree with you per se, as mentioned I'm a lot more ok with him staying up now than before. However, you're looking at a very small amount of games coupled with sheltered circumstances and declaring Monahan and Sven as our best players?

Agree with your Oilers comments 100%, but they don't relate to what I was saying about them.

Again, it's about minutes vs competition. Playing a ton in every situation and having the time (and ice time) and space to implement, practice and hone everything you've learned vs superior players, but in sheltered circumstances and way less minutes. Something he'll face next year anyways. I just happen to lean in favor of the former.

Like I said, I was caught up with it too, but upon closer and more objective examination, while I wouldn't be annoyed if he stays up (at one time I would've been), I think going down is best long term.

Avatar
#89 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 03:59PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
0
props

@durrr

a scoring chance, as tracked by me, kent and about 100 other people around the net is a shot in this diamond: http://canucksarmy.com/uploads/Image/Scoring_Area_large.jpg. there is little to no bias in the data for me - if it's a shot and it's in that area it's a chance.

I am making my claims based on everything he's done, not just zs% and sc%. 4 out of 9 games is roughly 45%. if we have 9 games to work with, there's going to be a significant amount of noise, yes, but better to try and find the signal rather than shut the radio off.

Avatar
#90 Justin Azevedo
October 11 2013, 04:03PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Props
0
props

@Drewski

anybody with the amount of luck he's had through 4 games would look this good. the eye aside, non-advanced stats show us he's due for a downturn in production.

I have no problem with disagreement, but i do have a problem with people who just dislike and then don't tell me why. doesn't make any sense and it's cowardly.

Avatar
#91 Seth
October 11 2013, 06:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@the-wolf

the-wolf - FN's voice of reason against fans are homers.

Avatar
#92 dave
October 11 2013, 06:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Drewski

Who's Jeremy?

Avatar
#93 loudogYYC
October 12 2013, 01:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kevin R wrote:

WTF!!!!!!!!

Jesus, anyone else out there that thinks if the Monahan/Sven line is the best line or most dangerous line on the team, then let the good times roll. So like if it works, lets change it in the name of perceived development. I say BS, if the kid can play & right now has more points than Iginla & Kesler & Marleau & Thornton & many other high profile NHL players, then let him play for crying out loud.

Wolf/Loudog: I don't want to be like the Oilers either, but the big difference is, that when these kids started to lose over & over & over again, year after year, Management chose to keep the lineup the same & roll these kids out for failure over & over & over again. Playing these very talented Oiler kids wasn't the mistake, it was the Oil Managements inability to bring in proper vets to assist in making these kids successful on the ice at the NHL level. 2 very different things. Someone is going to win the Calder trophy, why cant Monahan have that shot if he plays well enough?

Why? Because IMO it's very short sighted. Monahan has totally grown on me and I'm legitimately excited to see #23 among the top 30 centres in the league, but the timing is wrong right now.

Let's not get confused and think the Flames are gonna keep playing .800 hockey this season. Let's also remember that the 82 game season is only 5 games old and most players haven't hit their stride yet.

Baertschi is a crystal clear example of how useless hype can be with a teenage player. He's not lighting up the league like everyone thought he would, he's still just a prospect trying to hold a roster spot. Let Monahan develop at a slower pace, it'll be better for him and us.

Avatar
#94 Burnward
October 12 2013, 03:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I remember when the only stats I got came in the Tuesday paper.

Those were the days.

Comments are closed for this article.