Flames Fan Ask - October 12, 2013

Christian Roatis
October 12 2013 10:44AM

 

 

Our popular (it's popular right?) segment Fan Ask is back for another week! This week we'll talk 4 goal celly's, Monahan and the Flames' hot start - nothing really out of left field. If you want to submit a question that will appear in this weekly feature, submit something here.
 
So let's start with Jumbo Joe:

What are your thoughts on Botchford publishing Thornton's quote?
 
Ok, so before I answer this, for the six of you that don't know what happened, here's a little back story:
 
San Jose Sharks captain Patrick Marleau was partaking in a media scrum in the Sharks locker room and was inevitably asked about teammate Tomas Hertl's 4 goal night and the between the legs shot he used on his fourth goal. Thornton overheard the question and was probably sick and tired of his teammates having to answer the same asinine question about it threw in his two cents.
 
Note: Since we here at FN are a family friendly website and my mom is looking over my shoulder as a type this, I've replaced any expletive words with "Jumbo Joe". Also because it's more fun this way.
 
He first hollers at the reporters to "Shut up" and when the scrum turns to him, he tastefully adds “I’d have my Jumbo Joe out if I scored four goals. I’d have my Jumbo Joe out, Jumbo Joe-ing it.” Interesting. How do I do that celly in NHL 14?
 
Now, I've been in locker rooms as a player and this doesn't even come close to touching the type of stuff said in there. After all, boys will be boys and there isn't a time we show it more than in the locker room. Nothing is off limits, however it's said with the expectation it stays within the confines of the room. Obviously the minor hockey I played didn't come with the media parade that accomponies NHL teams but every single reporter in every single NHL city has heard these types of remarks from players and no one has reported it - obviously because they realize that, like Vegas, what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.
 
So you can plant me firmly in the, "Botchford published the quote for the page hits and attention" group because that's exactly why I think he did it. He's undoubtedly heard this stuff thousands of times during his career so why did he choose to go public with this particular one? I don't know, maybe his views have been down recently but point is, he shouldn't have done it.
 
Sean Monahan, keep him or send him down?
 
Keep him. Not because he leads the team in scoring or because he's a good sell for the fans, but because he's ready to play in the NHL and he'll develop better in the NHL than the OHL. Looking at his game through 5 games, there are only two things I can pick out as weaknesses in his game: One being face-offs and the other being the occasional slip up in the defensive zone - whether it be a lost assignment or puck battle.
 
Starting on the faceoff front, he won't get better at facing off against NHL calibre centerman in the OHL, plain and simple.
 
The defensive zone issue should also be viewed in the same manner, in my opinion. He was praised for his effort in his own third of the ice last year in the OHL so sending him back will only yield the same result and stagnate his development. Yeah, it won't hurt him but it won't benefit him either. Defending against, again, NHL calibre forwards and learning on the fly in the show is the best way of going about it for a physically mature Monahan. I'm also willing to bet that the Flames will let him go to the World Junior's in December either way so he won't be missing out on that opportunity.
 
Are you surprised about the Flames' start?
 
I was surprised about the Washington game but after seeing the way they played and that they were keeping the work ethic and commitment to the system consistent, I really wasn't surprised about the outcomes of the other games. Sometimes hard work beats out skill and the 3-0-2 Flames have proved just that.
 
Do you think the hot start puts a damper on the rebuild and the quest for a top pick?
 
Ok, so I'll answer this in two parts,
 
1) The hot start accelerates the rebuild rather than hurts it because they've established an identity and culture, and thankfully in the process have avoided being caught in the situation the Oilers find themselves in of being so used to losing without consequence that when it comes time to actually win, they can't really find it in them to compete. At the end of the day the Flames will more than likely find themselves outside of the playoff picture, but at least they something really tangible to build off of.
 
2) Technically collecting points hurts their odds of finishing last but who cares?! They're winning games and putting on a heck of a show doing so.

20eba9f84d9905f9b859288e29c3e0a8
Christian Roatis is a European by birth, Calgarian by heart. Other than writing at FlamesNation, he writes about and scouts NHL Draft Prospects at Future Considerations. Follow him on Twitter @CRoatis!
Avatar
#1 Kent Wilson
October 12 2013, 10:51AM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Props
29
props

I'll answer the last question a little differently...

The Flames are 5 games into the rebuild. Five. A sample that small doesn't have any influence on their rebuild whatsoever. When Roman Turek first arrived in Calgary, the team had one of it's best starts in org history. Craig Button re-inked Turek for 3 more years based on those first 10 games, the team folded immediately after and stunk for the next couple of seasons anyways.

The Minnestoa Wild led the Western Conference in points a couple of seasons ago around mid-December. They were a bottom-5 club by the time the season ended. The Edmonton Oilers have had more than a few streteches of "X" games over the last 7 years that causes commentators and fans to announce the Oil had finally turned the corner.

This start is a blip on the radar. We really don't know anything meaningful about this team yet.

Avatar
#2 coachedpotatoe
October 12 2013, 10:54AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props

I agree with much of what you say about Monahan and I am moving quickly from the 9 and gone I started the season with to the camp that says he needs to be here to really develop, I think the next 3 games Anahiem, San Jose and LA will either confirm he should be here or he's not ready to go against more physical and talented centers.

While I'm impressed with the start and the way they are playing I am still not convinced that this can be maintained; the season is 82 games and I suspect they will have runs of losing that might be longer than 5 games. I also agree that developing this style goes along way in creating the culture of the rebuild.

I hope everyone in FN has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Avatar
#3 coachedpotatoe
October 12 2013, 11:03AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props

More updates on prospects, Jankowski scored twice for Providence in opener, also Johny Hockey had an assists. Poirier player of the the month in the Q.

Avatar
#4 piscera.infada
October 12 2013, 11:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
11
props

@Kent Wilson

I agree. It's no reason to state the rebuild is done, and move on. However, I do tend to think similarly to Roatis on the idea that this does give the team something to build off of. Moral victories only carry a team so far, it's actually learning to get points that matters. If this team can even have a few more stretches like this, this year, I think you're flying. I don't think there's any acceleration to the rebuild at this point, but I have a hard time saying that because the percentages are severely skewed (something that wont keep up in the long term), it's not a positive for the rebuild in the long term - so in short, there is a tangible benefit.

I believe this road trip will be a wake up call for a young team. That said, if they can come together and create even more momentum you could have something special brewing - not necessarily for this season, but in the near future.

This year needs to be about not getting too high during the highs, and not getting too low during the lows. It also needs to be about buying into the system and creating some momentum going forward - so far so good in that regard. We can't look at this start as a harbinger of amazing-ness (not a word, yeah, I did it), but I don't think we shouldn't enjoy it and/or not take positives from it. It's the same way I look at Monahan. Yes, his percentages are high, and sooner or later he'll fall down to earth, but it doesn't mean he isn't playing good hockey, and it doesn't mean he hasn't done what he's done.

Avatar
#5 T&A4Flames
October 12 2013, 11:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
coachedpotatoe wrote:

More updates on prospects, Jankowski scored twice for Providence in opener, also Johny Hockey had an assists. Poirier player of the the month in the Q.

I had a gut feeling about Janko this weekend. Hope those 2 goals translate to some quickly acquired confidence and rolls along throughout the season.

Avatar
#6 Ryan Pike
October 12 2013, 11:19AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

The team still has holes and warts - goaltending, their face-offs, their penalty kill, getting generally out-shot at even-strength. But their commitment to structured play and some luck is getting them points.

Avatar
#7 Teamsupreme
October 12 2013, 11:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@coachedpotatoe

And Gilmour also had two goals, including the game winner.

Avatar
#9 Captain Ron
October 12 2013, 12:02PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props

I know that what we are watching is a bit of a mirage and they will no doubt have a losing streak creep up on them that last for a few games, and they will probably lose a lot more than they win when all is said and done.

But what is most inspiring about this group is that they are all pulling in the same direction, they seem to genuinely care about each other and their results on the ice. So the culture change we have been wanting for a long time is unfolding in front of us right now. The fans is the stands can see it and feel it. I don't ever remember being in the building this early in a season and witnessing the paying customers stand up and cheer this loudly after a successfully defended flurry by the opposition, a blocked shot or two, a great save, or after some sustained pressure in the other teams end of the rink like I am seeing this year. It is fun to go to the games again. Win or lose this is so much better than that crap we were subjected to for a few years. (culprits names withheld)

The coaching staff and management has their attention. The leaders on the team are leading and the early results are impressive.

Avatar
#10 Baalzamon
October 12 2013, 12:03PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
9
props

My favourite thing about the whole Hertl trickshot fiasco is that Adam Oates flamed him for it, then said he "made a mistake". In what way did Hertl make a mistake? He was alone in front of the net, attempted to score, and succeeded. Where was the mistake made?

Talk about things being blown out of proportion for no reason.

Avatar
#11 please cancel acct
October 12 2013, 12:07PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
5
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

I'll answer the last question a little differently...

The Flames are 5 games into the rebuild. Five. A sample that small doesn't have any influence on their rebuild whatsoever. When Roman Turek first arrived in Calgary, the team had one of it's best starts in org history. Craig Button re-inked Turek for 3 more years based on those first 10 games, the team folded immediately after and stunk for the next couple of seasons anyways.

The Minnestoa Wild led the Western Conference in points a couple of seasons ago around mid-December. They were a bottom-5 club by the time the season ended. The Edmonton Oilers have had more than a few streteches of "X" games over the last 7 years that causes commentators and fans to announce the Oil had finally turned the corner.

This start is a blip on the radar. We really don't know anything meaningful about this team yet.

Disagree.The Identity of this team is being built before our eyes, and that is Meaningful.

I doubt many fans believe there recent success will continue without some bumps and glitches.

Avatar
#12 thymebalm
October 12 2013, 12:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
6
props

Nobody expects the flames to collect 80% of available points all season. It's true, we've missed the playoffs because of bad octobers before. That won't happen this year.

Avatar
#13 piscera.infada
October 12 2013, 12:11PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props

@Captain Ron

This is exactly what I was trying to get at. I think for the most part the fan base is fairly realistic about what this team is. While outsiders might want to peg the buzz around this team as a product of winning, I think it's more so about a team finally playing like a team - a team that wants to be there.

Avatar
#14 Peter
October 12 2013, 12:16PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
4
props

2) Technically collecting points hurts their odds of finishing last but who cares?! They're winning games and putting on a heck of a show doing so.

I agree. I have always liked the fact that the Flames are the only NHL team (?) in the last 40 years to finish no worse than 6th from the bottom. That may happen this year but fortunately they're hard work in the early going provides proof that they can have a decent year. A little history repeating?...40 years ago the Flames again had the sixth selection, traded it to Montreal to move up to #2 and took Tom Lysiak, a center who led them to respectability. Hopefully Monahan (and astute drafting) can help them accomplish the same thing again.

Avatar
#15 Walter white
October 12 2013, 12:20PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
2
props

would Any of you flames fans still trade Monahan for any of the 3 first overall picks from the oilers? WW

Avatar
#16 Kevin R
October 12 2013, 12:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props
Captain Ron wrote:

I know that what we are watching is a bit of a mirage and they will no doubt have a losing streak creep up on them that last for a few games, and they will probably lose a lot more than they win when all is said and done.

But what is most inspiring about this group is that they are all pulling in the same direction, they seem to genuinely care about each other and their results on the ice. So the culture change we have been wanting for a long time is unfolding in front of us right now. The fans is the stands can see it and feel it. I don't ever remember being in the building this early in a season and witnessing the paying customers stand up and cheer this loudly after a successfully defended flurry by the opposition, a blocked shot or two, a great save, or after some sustained pressure in the other teams end of the rink like I am seeing this year. It is fun to go to the games again. Win or lose this is so much better than that crap we were subjected to for a few years. (culprits names withheld)

The coaching staff and management has their attention. The leaders on the team are leading and the early results are impressive.

Well said my fellow Golden Retriever fan. What I have started to notice these last few games is that Monahan & Sven are starting to get that chemistry. I think Sven is feeding off of Monahan's electricity that he had during that emergency call up, & seemed to have lost it. Monahan is not only scoring & providing a thrill for fans but he may very well be bringing out the best of our next biggest asset in Sven. I for one am totalling starting to embrace the change of the crappy culture we have endured for far too long. This is so exciting & I am sure it is not lost on Ownership & upper management.

Avatar
#17 Walter white
October 12 2013, 12:47PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props

More on prospects: Keegan Kanzig: 6 games, 0 points, 19 penalty minutes, +3 (I guess that is an improvement...). WW

Avatar
#18 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 12:55PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Props
5
props
Walter white wrote:

would Any of you flames fans still trade Monahan for any of the 3 first overall picks from the oilers? WW

Yes.

Hall is sublime player already arguably the best in the league at his position. I'd take him for Monahan in a heartbeat.

Yes2.

Monahan for The Nuge I would also do. The Nuge has one of the highest offensive ceilings among young players in the league. He's going to be amazingballs good. That said, Monahan's skillset is arguably wider if not presenting as high a ceiling. It's close, but I really, really, like The Nuge.

No. Yakupov is a beauty skater with an absolute bomb of a shot, but I like Monahan's larger toolbox of skills, and Monahan plays center, a position easier to build a team around.

Avatar
#19 lionlager
October 12 2013, 01:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
14
props

Totally agree with your last answer. Being 5 games in and having fans complain about draft position is infuriating. These wins are great for the young team and fans.

Avatar
#20 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 01:12PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
7
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

I'll answer the last question a little differently...

The Flames are 5 games into the rebuild. Five. A sample that small doesn't have any influence on their rebuild whatsoever. When Roman Turek first arrived in Calgary, the team had one of it's best starts in org history. Craig Button re-inked Turek for 3 more years based on those first 10 games, the team folded immediately after and stunk for the next couple of seasons anyways.

The Minnestoa Wild led the Western Conference in points a couple of seasons ago around mid-December. They were a bottom-5 club by the time the season ended. The Edmonton Oilers have had more than a few streteches of "X" games over the last 7 years that causes commentators and fans to announce the Oil had finally turned the corner.

This start is a blip on the radar. We really don't know anything meaningful about this team yet.

I respectfully disagree with you about the timeline on the Flames 'rebuild'.

I start the clock with Feaster's promotion and the trading of Regehr. It was that move that signalled the old guard was on notice, and that younger cheaper assets were going to be collected.

Every move since then from dealing Bourque to the acquisition of more draft picks, to the inevitable trading of Iggy was being done with the intent of retooling the roster from top to bottom.

Rebuilds for teams without young assets take time, in part because you have to rebuild the farm system, draft good young players, and develop them. We've just started seeing some of the results of what Feaster has accomplished since he took over.

I for one, am excited by what he is doing and where the Flames are heading.

Avatar
#21 Captain Ron
October 12 2013, 01:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
6
props
Kevin R wrote:

Well said my fellow Golden Retriever fan. What I have started to notice these last few games is that Monahan & Sven are starting to get that chemistry. I think Sven is feeding off of Monahan's electricity that he had during that emergency call up, & seemed to have lost it. Monahan is not only scoring & providing a thrill for fans but he may very well be bringing out the best of our next biggest asset in Sven. I for one am totalling starting to embrace the change of the crappy culture we have endured for far too long. This is so exciting & I am sure it is not lost on Ownership & upper management.

Yes my furry four legged loving friend. I see what you are seeing with Sven and Sean as well. Sven is playing his best hockey to date. I don't doubt that the early wake up call from upper management and coaches has got his attention. They may not be line mates for life but they sure can speak in the same language on the ice. Funny as the winning play was unfolding last night I had just said to my son c'mon Sean get the game winner so I can pick up another point in my pool haha, and then a second or two later he put the puck in off that beauty pass from Sven. Had a good laugh over that one.

You can bet that ownership and upper management is paying attention and happy with the reaction from the fan base.

Now we are on to the haunted house. How great would it be if they could get a win in that building?

Avatar
#22 Captain Ron
October 12 2013, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
6
props
piscera.infada wrote:

This is exactly what I was trying to get at. I think for the most part the fan base is fairly realistic about what this team is. While outsiders might want to peg the buzz around this team as a product of winning, I think it's more so about a team finally playing like a team - a team that wants to be there.

Absolutely agree! Everyone is paddling in this boat!

Oh and amazingness is not a word??? What??? I thought I was was watching some amazingness on the ice last night!!!

Avatar
#23 SoCalFlamesFan
October 12 2013, 01:47PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Props
9
props
Walter white wrote:

would Any of you flames fans still trade Monahan for any of the 3 first overall picks from the oilers? WW

We should trade him for draft picks as we are in a rebuild and would have to pay for his salary sooner if we have him in the roster. We can't risk "burning" his ELC, let another team do that. This would really really help a bottom 5 finish too.

Avatar
#24 Jeff In Lethbridge
October 12 2013, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
8
props
Baalzamon wrote:

My favourite thing about the whole Hertl trickshot fiasco is that Adam Oates flamed him for it, then said he "made a mistake". In what way did Hertl make a mistake? He was alone in front of the net, attempted to score, and succeeded. Where was the mistake made?

Talk about things being blown out of proportion for no reason.

Oats looks like a sore loser and an idiot for the comment. He put the puck in the net and used skill. shut the hell up Oats.

Avatar
#25 Jeff In Lethbridge
October 12 2013, 02:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
piscera.infada wrote:

This is exactly what I was trying to get at. I think for the most part the fan base is fairly realistic about what this team is. While outsiders might want to peg the buzz around this team as a product of winning, I think it's more so about a team finally playing like a team - a team that wants to be there.

OK, you have been assigned the duty of informing the main stream media.

while this is true for me at least, is the media sophisticated enough to report something so abstract? I think not.

Avatar
#26 Jeff In Lethbridge
October 12 2013, 02:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
12
props

nobody even coments on Botchford - hahaha what a loser.

i hope he gets blackballed

Avatar
#27 TRAV
October 12 2013, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
Baalzamon wrote:

My favourite thing about the whole Hertl trickshot fiasco is that Adam Oates flamed him for it, then said he "made a mistake". In what way did Hertl make a mistake? He was alone in front of the net, attempted to score, and succeeded. Where was the mistake made?

Talk about things being blown out of proportion for no reason.

TotAlly agree that this was a legit move. I think that Oates may have been a bit upset about the big celebration after. I think that this was like the ninth goal. Some (Oates) would say that you don't give a huge celebration to go up by seven with a few minutes left. In junior this would get you punched in the face for showing up an opponent.

If I scored four goals I would be excited too. I agree with you that Oates and others should be thrilled for some creative fun in hockey. Mountain out of a mole hill!

Avatar
#28 BJ
October 12 2013, 02:34PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
7
props

@BurningSensation

I would be worried about Nugents size and being a bit injury prone. I think Monahan has the size and skill that will make him a better two way player.

Hall maybe.

Avatar
#29 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 03:02PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
6
props
BJ wrote:

I would be worried about Nugents size and being a bit injury prone. I think Monahan has the size and skill that will make him a better two way player.

Hall maybe.

I'd say that The Nuge has a basement of being a 'plus' Michael Nylander, supremely skilled, but brittle as balsa wood.

His ceiling though is something akin to a fast Adam Oates.

Monahan has a ceiling something like Ron Francis, but is more likely to settle in to the range of solid two-way pivots like Dave Gagner was for Minnesota. Good at everything, but not great at anything.

Greater risk with The Nuge, but the reward if he maxes out is enormous.

Avatar
#30 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 03:04PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
6
props
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

nobody even coments on Botchford - hahaha what a loser.

i hope he gets blackballed

Yeah, he stepped over the line for no reason other than the appearance of being 'on the edge'.

Hopefully there is some blowback for his douchery.

Avatar
#31 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 03:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
TRAV wrote:

TotAlly agree that this was a legit move. I think that Oates may have been a bit upset about the big celebration after. I think that this was like the ninth goal. Some (Oates) would say that you don't give a huge celebration to go up by seven with a few minutes left. In junior this would get you punched in the face for showing up an opponent.

If I scored four goals I would be excited too. I agree with you that Oates and others should be thrilled for some creative fun in hockey. Mountain out of a mole hill!

Sure sounded like sour grapes to me from Oates.

Especially ironic given he was the setup man for one of the biggest goofs in NHL history.

Avatar
#32 SoCalFlamesFan
October 12 2013, 03:40PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
17
props

Seriously I have loved watching the team play of the Flames this past week. I read a bit of proper reporting on the main website: "Earlier in the summer, Sean Monahan's place of residence was a hotel room but that isn't the case anymore. The 19-year-old was offered a room in the Hudler household at the beginning of the season and the veteran is loving having the rookie in his home.

"It's a lot of fun. He eats a lot, that's for sure," Hudler grinned.

"I've liked him since I met him in training camp. He's a good guy. He's an honest person and fun to be around too. He's funny. He makes me laugh. I'm glad that he's on the team ... we're playing pool and we're talking about hockey all the time."

Hudler is having so much fun with Monahan that the youngster might have his stay may have to be extended.

"He might stay there for a year. He doesn't know that yet."

This is one of the reasons Monahan is performing, so too with Hudler. Hudler gained a ton of credit with me when I read this. This is how the penguins mentored Malkin and Crosby etc.

Avatar
#33 beloch
October 12 2013, 05:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
10
props

@SoCalFlamesFan

Now that's mentoring. Kudos to Hudler!

Avatar
#34 beloch
October 12 2013, 05:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props

Re: The Flames likely performance this season

The Flames are in the top third of the league for PDO, but their PDO is about the same as Toronto's was last season. The Flames' shooting percentage is in the top ten but goal-tending is bottom-ten. Calgary sh% is currently higher than Toronto's was last season, which was the highest in the league. We can expect it to regress a little. However, the goal-tending isn't likely to improve with MacBackup in net.

In short, Calgary has been good so far, but also lucky. For this team to keep winning when their luck turns, Ramo needs to play and he needs to be good.

Avatar
#35 ?
October 12 2013, 06:13PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
18
props

Don Cherry saying that he didn't like what Hertl did, and since Herti's from the Czech Republic he didn't know hockey players aren't supposed to play the game like that. Gimme a break, it's a freaking game. If Hertl wants to embarrass Biron, Lundqvist, or whoevers in net with a move, I as a fan want to see it. It's what sells the game, and I loved Hertl's move. Sick of Cherry.

Avatar
#36 SoCalFlamesFan
October 12 2013, 06:33PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
6
props
beloch wrote:

Re: The Flames likely performance this season

The Flames are in the top third of the league for PDO, but their PDO is about the same as Toronto's was last season. The Flames' shooting percentage is in the top ten but goal-tending is bottom-ten. Calgary sh% is currently higher than Toronto's was last season, which was the highest in the league. We can expect it to regress a little. However, the goal-tending isn't likely to improve with MacBackup in net.

In short, Calgary has been good so far, but also lucky. For this team to keep winning when their luck turns, Ramo needs to play and he needs to be good.

I read on this site that the Flames were "unlucky" last year, according to "advanced stats" maybe its a returning to an average and a "lucky" 1st half this year. How about we enjoy it and stop hunting for storm-clouds to hide the silver linings.

Avatar
#38 HongKongHockeyFan
October 12 2013, 06:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
17
props

Jiri Hudler has 7 points! Amongst the NHL's leaders in points as of yesterday.

Is he under appreciated or over-looked? Has this been one of Feaster's most under-rated/under-appreciated moves last year? Is he part of the Flames future? Or is he future trade-bait?

He looks pretty good to me. Very smart. Accurate shot! Good value.

Avatar
#39 beloch
October 12 2013, 07:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props

@HongKongHockeyFan

In Detroit he was a top-6 winger who could be counted on to provide some offense if given reasonable shelter. Last season he did basically that for the Flames. He was middle of the road in terms of zone starts and quality of competition last season and his relative corsi was similarly middle of the road. I think he's been relied on more by the Flames and has largely lived up to an increased role, but he's not going to turn into a league scoring leader. This is just the result of a small sample size.

Hudler really appears to be taking the role of mentor seriously, particularly with respect to Monahan. He's under contract until 2016 and I don't think he'd bring back a first round pick in trade, so he might be a vet worth hanging onto.

Avatar
#40 everton fc
October 12 2013, 08:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
7
props
piscera.infada wrote:

I agree. It's no reason to state the rebuild is done, and move on. However, I do tend to think similarly to Roatis on the idea that this does give the team something to build off of. Moral victories only carry a team so far, it's actually learning to get points that matters. If this team can even have a few more stretches like this, this year, I think you're flying. I don't think there's any acceleration to the rebuild at this point, but I have a hard time saying that because the percentages are severely skewed (something that wont keep up in the long term), it's not a positive for the rebuild in the long term - so in short, there is a tangible benefit.

I believe this road trip will be a wake up call for a young team. That said, if they can come together and create even more momentum you could have something special brewing - not necessarily for this season, but in the near future.

This year needs to be about not getting too high during the highs, and not getting too low during the lows. It also needs to be about buying into the system and creating some momentum going forward - so far so good in that regard. We can't look at this start as a harbinger of amazing-ness (not a word, yeah, I did it), but I don't think we shouldn't enjoy it and/or not take positives from it. It's the same way I look at Monahan. Yes, his percentages are high, and sooner or later he'll fall down to earth, but it doesn't mean he isn't playing good hockey, and it doesn't mean he hasn't done what he's done.

I get a feeling this road trip will tell us a lot about this team. And that feeling is they'll surprise the heck out of us all. They have yet to be blown out. They've yet to lose in regulation. People are critical of MacDonald, but he's also made some terrific saves. Look at the defence in front of him. Not ideal. He's done a lot. Give the guy some credit.

Hudler and Stempniak seems very good mentors. I like the character of this team.

A lot, so far.

Avatar
#41 Baalzamon
October 12 2013, 08:33PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
8
props

@everton fc

Big saves does not equal good goalie.

Avatar
#42 HongKongHockeyFan
October 12 2013, 08:48PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
3
props

@beloch

Some very good points. In particular, it's been great to see that Hudler is assuming a leadership role, which shows that he may really want to stay in Calgary for the long-haul.

Personally, I was really worried that with the loss of Tanguay (despite all his flaws), that the Flames would see a steep drop off in playmaking skill. I think the Flames really need his vision and puck handling skills, whether he plays on the 1st or 3rd line.

Avatar
#43 Clyde
October 12 2013, 09:55PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
12
props
Walter white wrote:

More on prospects: Keegan Kanzig: 6 games, 0 points, 19 penalty minutes, +3 (I guess that is an improvement...). WW

He has a goal tonight and again is a plus player. So, stop insinuating he is not a worthwhile prospect.

Avatar
#44 Baalzamon
October 12 2013, 11:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
8
props

@Clyde

He was also third star.

Avatar
#45 piscera.infada
October 12 2013, 11:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
11
props
Christian Roatis wrote:

That would be pretty stupid to do. The whole point of getting draft picks in a rebuild is to get guys like Monahan. Now that we have them why would we set ourselves back? If you really want to tank and he's getting in the way, you can send him to junior.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure @SoCal'C'Fan's comment was soaked in sarcasm...

Avatar
#46 exsanguinator
October 12 2013, 11:59PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props

Liking Monahan so far, even if his SH% falls back to earth, somewhere in the 8% region, he would still be good for 17 goals. I hope he stays. He's not going to develop in junior and if he falls off the boat then he will be eligible for the AHL next season.

Avatar
#47 everton fc
October 13 2013, 12:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props
Baalzamon wrote:

Big saves does not equal good goalie.

He's kept us in games and made clutch saves at key points of games we've won. So far. That's all I'm saying. And all I'm saying MacDonald deserves credit for, at this point.

Avatar
#48 Captain Ron
October 13 2013, 02:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
7
props
? wrote:

Don Cherry saying that he didn't like what Hertl did, and since Herti's from the Czech Republic he didn't know hockey players aren't supposed to play the game like that. Gimme a break, it's a freaking game. If Hertl wants to embarrass Biron, Lundqvist, or whoevers in net with a move, I as a fan want to see it. It's what sells the game, and I loved Hertl's move. Sick of Cherry.

I agree on the Hertle goal. If anyone on the Flames ever score a goal like that in the Dome the place will erupt in a standing ovation and rightfully so. I say bring on that kind of a skilled play. The more the better and to hell with the dinosaurs and purists who can't handle it. What matters most is what the fans think.

Avatar
#49 coachedpotatoe
October 13 2013, 07:43AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

While most of us are very happy with the results so far I doubt that many of us expect these results to continue, however we should all expect that the work ethic and team effort continues. I here in the media that we are a young team yet when I look at the line up I see the following players as young TJB, Bouma, Street, Monahan, Sven and one could include back's in this list. The rest are players who have been pros elsewhere and are new to the Flames. We still need to see how more of the prospects develop. The Heat lost last night scoring only one goal; Horak and lost in shoot out.(Evidence of a lack of the highly skilled forwards we will need at some point)It seems like some of our prospects need to pick their game up in Abbotsford, Ferland for one played quite well at the rookie tournie and in preseason here but has not seemed to have found his game at the AHL level. He is one guy that I have high hopes for in filling a key roster spot on the big club in a couple of years; power forward who has skills but play a physical game. Much like Bouma but with a higher top end. I also see Poirier in the same light but with his speed and finish at a higher end( he keeps scoring in Q and also takes penalties suggesting he is either physical or taking bad penalties)

I'm glad the big club is playing well and getting some results but in many ways I am more interested in the future and how the kids are developing; especially the forwards. On D I really think we have some prospects who will help fill out the top 6 in the not so distant future.

Avatar
#50 Walter white
October 13 2013, 08:25AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
2
props

@Baalzamon

@ Clyde

Stop insinuating that he IS a Worthwhile prospect....much too early to tell.

I'm a big fan of all of our prospects, and hope they all make the show, but that should not get in the way of looking at the stats........albeit only 6 games in. WW

Comments are closed for this article.