Flames Fan Ask - October 12, 2013

Christian Roatis
October 12 2013 10:44AM

 

 

Our popular (it's popular right?) segment Fan Ask is back for another week! This week we'll talk 4 goal celly's, Monahan and the Flames' hot start - nothing really out of left field. If you want to submit a question that will appear in this weekly feature, submit something here.
 
So let's start with Jumbo Joe:

What are your thoughts on Botchford publishing Thornton's quote?
 
Ok, so before I answer this, for the six of you that don't know what happened, here's a little back story:
 
San Jose Sharks captain Patrick Marleau was partaking in a media scrum in the Sharks locker room and was inevitably asked about teammate Tomas Hertl's 4 goal night and the between the legs shot he used on his fourth goal. Thornton overheard the question and was probably sick and tired of his teammates having to answer the same asinine question about it threw in his two cents.
 
Note: Since we here at FN are a family friendly website and my mom is looking over my shoulder as a type this, I've replaced any expletive words with "Jumbo Joe". Also because it's more fun this way.
 
He first hollers at the reporters to "Shut up" and when the scrum turns to him, he tastefully adds “I’d have my Jumbo Joe out if I scored four goals. I’d have my Jumbo Joe out, Jumbo Joe-ing it.” Interesting. How do I do that celly in NHL 14?
 
Now, I've been in locker rooms as a player and this doesn't even come close to touching the type of stuff said in there. After all, boys will be boys and there isn't a time we show it more than in the locker room. Nothing is off limits, however it's said with the expectation it stays within the confines of the room. Obviously the minor hockey I played didn't come with the media parade that accomponies NHL teams but every single reporter in every single NHL city has heard these types of remarks from players and no one has reported it - obviously because they realize that, like Vegas, what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.
 
So you can plant me firmly in the, "Botchford published the quote for the page hits and attention" group because that's exactly why I think he did it. He's undoubtedly heard this stuff thousands of times during his career so why did he choose to go public with this particular one? I don't know, maybe his views have been down recently but point is, he shouldn't have done it.
 
Sean Monahan, keep him or send him down?
 
Keep him. Not because he leads the team in scoring or because he's a good sell for the fans, but because he's ready to play in the NHL and he'll develop better in the NHL than the OHL. Looking at his game through 5 games, there are only two things I can pick out as weaknesses in his game: One being face-offs and the other being the occasional slip up in the defensive zone - whether it be a lost assignment or puck battle.
 
Starting on the faceoff front, he won't get better at facing off against NHL calibre centerman in the OHL, plain and simple.
 
The defensive zone issue should also be viewed in the same manner, in my opinion. He was praised for his effort in his own third of the ice last year in the OHL so sending him back will only yield the same result and stagnate his development. Yeah, it won't hurt him but it won't benefit him either. Defending against, again, NHL calibre forwards and learning on the fly in the show is the best way of going about it for a physically mature Monahan. I'm also willing to bet that the Flames will let him go to the World Junior's in December either way so he won't be missing out on that opportunity.
 
Are you surprised about the Flames' start?
 
I was surprised about the Washington game but after seeing the way they played and that they were keeping the work ethic and commitment to the system consistent, I really wasn't surprised about the outcomes of the other games. Sometimes hard work beats out skill and the 3-0-2 Flames have proved just that.
 
Do you think the hot start puts a damper on the rebuild and the quest for a top pick?
 
Ok, so I'll answer this in two parts,
 
1) The hot start accelerates the rebuild rather than hurts it because they've established an identity and culture, and thankfully in the process have avoided being caught in the situation the Oilers find themselves in of being so used to losing without consequence that when it comes time to actually win, they can't really find it in them to compete. At the end of the day the Flames will more than likely find themselves outside of the playoff picture, but at least they something really tangible to build off of.
 
2) Technically collecting points hurts their odds of finishing last but who cares?! They're winning games and putting on a heck of a show doing so.

20eba9f84d9905f9b859288e29c3e0a8
Christian Roatis is a European by birth, Calgarian by heart. Other than writing at FlamesNation, he writes about and scouts NHL Draft Prospects at Future Considerations. Follow him on Twitter @CRoatis!
Avatar
#1 SoCalFlamesFan
October 12 2013, 01:47PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Props
9
props
Walter white wrote:

would Any of you flames fans still trade Monahan for any of the 3 first overall picks from the oilers? WW

We should trade him for draft picks as we are in a rebuild and would have to pay for his salary sooner if we have him in the roster. We can't risk "burning" his ELC, let another team do that. This would really really help a bottom 5 finish too.

Avatar
#2 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 12:55PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Props
5
props
Walter white wrote:

would Any of you flames fans still trade Monahan for any of the 3 first overall picks from the oilers? WW

Yes.

Hall is sublime player already arguably the best in the league at his position. I'd take him for Monahan in a heartbeat.

Yes2.

Monahan for The Nuge I would also do. The Nuge has one of the highest offensive ceilings among young players in the league. He's going to be amazingballs good. That said, Monahan's skillset is arguably wider if not presenting as high a ceiling. It's close, but I really, really, like The Nuge.

No. Yakupov is a beauty skater with an absolute bomb of a shot, but I like Monahan's larger toolbox of skills, and Monahan plays center, a position easier to build a team around.

Avatar
#3 Kent Wilson
October 12 2013, 10:51AM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Props
29
props

I'll answer the last question a little differently...

The Flames are 5 games into the rebuild. Five. A sample that small doesn't have any influence on their rebuild whatsoever. When Roman Turek first arrived in Calgary, the team had one of it's best starts in org history. Craig Button re-inked Turek for 3 more years based on those first 10 games, the team folded immediately after and stunk for the next couple of seasons anyways.

The Minnestoa Wild led the Western Conference in points a couple of seasons ago around mid-December. They were a bottom-5 club by the time the season ended. The Edmonton Oilers have had more than a few streteches of "X" games over the last 7 years that causes commentators and fans to announce the Oil had finally turned the corner.

This start is a blip on the radar. We really don't know anything meaningful about this team yet.

Avatar
#4 Walter white
October 12 2013, 12:20PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
2
props

would Any of you flames fans still trade Monahan for any of the 3 first overall picks from the oilers? WW

Avatar
#5 beloch
October 13 2013, 04:32PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
5
props

@Jeff Lebowski

Some people enjoy digging beneath the foam-finger waving surface of fandom and trying to understand more about the game, the teams, the players, and the support staff. Advanced stats are one way to do that. Attempting to make accurate predictions (and arguing about them, of course) is the truest test of our knowledge. To some this makes us sound like kill-joys who can't allow even ourselves to enjoy a good running streak. I assure you that we enjoy winning as much as anyone.

If you just want optimism, go read mainstream sports journalism such as the Herald's sport section. This blog is the wrong place for you. If I'm a sycophant, you're a damned dirty troll!

Avatar
#6 Walter white
October 13 2013, 08:25AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
2
props

@Baalzamon

@ Clyde

Stop insinuating that he IS a Worthwhile prospect....much too early to tell.

I'm a big fan of all of our prospects, and hope they all make the show, but that should not get in the way of looking at the stats........albeit only 6 games in. WW

Avatar
#7 Walter white
October 13 2013, 12:54PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
1
props

@ Kevin R

Settle down Kevin, leave your work baggage at work, this is a hockey blog, the stress you are referring to comes from bringing your work home with you... Hockey and other sports are meant to take your mind off work stress.

Look at the bright side; has one goal already this year, that's one more than he had the 2 previous years combined!!

On a related note; I'm actually a big Kanzig fan...and a realist.

W

Avatar
#8 Jeff Lebowski
October 13 2013, 04:50PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
8
props
beloch wrote:

Some people enjoy digging beneath the foam-finger waving surface of fandom and trying to understand more about the game, the teams, the players, and the support staff. Advanced stats are one way to do that. Attempting to make accurate predictions (and arguing about them, of course) is the truest test of our knowledge. To some this makes us sound like kill-joys who can't allow even ourselves to enjoy a good running streak. I assure you that we enjoy winning as much as anyone.

If you just want optimism, go read mainstream sports journalism such as the Herald's sport section. This blog is the wrong place for you. If I'm a sycophant, you're a damned dirty troll!

What you enjoy winning is the argument that Feaster sucks. It's clear you don't want to acknowledge Flame success because that means giving Feaster credit.

This Feaster bashing is the extent of your 'content'.

As for advanced stats? You don't bring anything interesting. Re hashing stats over and over, regression to mean.

You don't add anything to 'stats'. When you do try to innovate we get..... Icing differential.

Trust me, I know about the value of AS in sports. Hockey is more complex than the stats here can explain.

Corsi. The shot is the loudest signal you can look for. Counting it, and turning into a stat around which most content is generated is weak. No info about nuance of game.

CGY V MTL 15 scoring chances 29 total shots

15 scoring area shots, 14 non scoring chance shots

Corsi differentiates between those shots used in its calculation? Nope. Yet you guys tell us what's happening underneath? You have no clue.

Avatar
#9 Baalzamon
October 13 2013, 05:43PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
6
props

@Jeff Lebowski

So um. Why are you here?

Avatar
#10 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 01:12PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
7
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

I'll answer the last question a little differently...

The Flames are 5 games into the rebuild. Five. A sample that small doesn't have any influence on their rebuild whatsoever. When Roman Turek first arrived in Calgary, the team had one of it's best starts in org history. Craig Button re-inked Turek for 3 more years based on those first 10 games, the team folded immediately after and stunk for the next couple of seasons anyways.

The Minnestoa Wild led the Western Conference in points a couple of seasons ago around mid-December. They were a bottom-5 club by the time the season ended. The Edmonton Oilers have had more than a few streteches of "X" games over the last 7 years that causes commentators and fans to announce the Oil had finally turned the corner.

This start is a blip on the radar. We really don't know anything meaningful about this team yet.

I respectfully disagree with you about the timeline on the Flames 'rebuild'.

I start the clock with Feaster's promotion and the trading of Regehr. It was that move that signalled the old guard was on notice, and that younger cheaper assets were going to be collected.

Every move since then from dealing Bourque to the acquisition of more draft picks, to the inevitable trading of Iggy was being done with the intent of retooling the roster from top to bottom.

Rebuilds for teams without young assets take time, in part because you have to rebuild the farm system, draft good young players, and develop them. We've just started seeing some of the results of what Feaster has accomplished since he took over.

I for one, am excited by what he is doing and where the Flames are heading.

Avatar
#11 Jeff Lebowski
October 13 2013, 03:08PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
15
props
SoCalFlamesFan wrote:

I read on this site that the Flames were "unlucky" last year, according to "advanced stats" maybe its a returning to an average and a "lucky" 1st half this year. How about we enjoy it and stop hunting for storm-clouds to hide the silver linings.

It's the killjoy personality of FN. Everything is a constant reminder of the inevitable regression to the mean.

We get it. We know the Flames will eventually have some regulation losses.

At a time that has been difficult for many with the floods, the team spirit, youthful energy and positive feelings Calgary's start has elicited has been a source of joy.

The FN writers (for the most part) and their sycophant commenters are more interested in tamping down the fun. They just love being critics. To be clear, it is nice to have balance. There is a place for it. It's just FN seemingly never writes about positive aspects. I think, because they hate Feaster.

Alas, it is page hits and traffic ie time to get paid.

I can't judge them because we all have things to work on. Also, the idea of wanting data to justify things is generally a good way to operate. However, having fun, enjoying the moment is also good.

Stats can be used to write an article on how rare 23 is doing and how we should be enjoying it unfold rather than the constant buzzkill that they CHOOSE to write about.

There will be plenty of negatives to dissect. But when it's going good, why not enjoy?

Avatar
#12 beloch
October 13 2013, 08:33PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
3
props

@Jeff Lebowski

I didn't just show up. I've commented on Monahan's play after pretty much every game, and it's been positive. The stats say he's still sheltered but doing well, adapting to the NHL at a fantastic pace, and taking on more responsibility every game. You obviously haven't read a thing I've said and are just attacking me because I unwittingly gave you a target.

Well, that's enough feeding the trolls from me. You can have the last word now.

Avatar
#14 beloch
October 13 2013, 05:29PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
9
props

@Jeff Lebowski

I didn't come up with icing differential. In fact, if you look at the thread where it was brought up I bashed it. You seem to be railing against everyone here with absolutely zero appreciation of the debate that goes on. Yes, advanced stats don't tell the whole story, but they're an improvement on the counting stats we grew up with. Saying that stats can't capture the complexity of hockey is a worse than useless assertion.

Avatar
#15 Jeff Lebowski
October 13 2013, 05:56PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
10
props
Baalzamon wrote:

So um. Why are you here?

Existentially? Or do you mean on this site? I'm here to put the smack down on you Debbie Downers.

Avatar
#16 Baalzamon
October 14 2013, 10:52AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
2
props

@Kypreos

"Getting really sick of the negativity, Feastser bashing going on here. Let it go!"

Please show me where, on this thread, anyone has bashed Feaster. Just one example. Because I'm having tremendous difficulty finding one.

The only bashing going on is Jeff Lebowski lunging at anything that moves.

Avatar
#17 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 03:02PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
6
props
BJ wrote:

I would be worried about Nugents size and being a bit injury prone. I think Monahan has the size and skill that will make him a better two way player.

Hall maybe.

I'd say that The Nuge has a basement of being a 'plus' Michael Nylander, supremely skilled, but brittle as balsa wood.

His ceiling though is something akin to a fast Adam Oates.

Monahan has a ceiling something like Ron Francis, but is more likely to settle in to the range of solid two-way pivots like Dave Gagner was for Minnesota. Good at everything, but not great at anything.

Greater risk with The Nuge, but the reward if he maxes out is enormous.

Avatar
#18 Baalzamon
October 12 2013, 08:33PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
8
props

@everton fc

Big saves does not equal good goalie.

Avatar
#19 Jeff Lebowski
October 13 2013, 05:38PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
8
props
beloch wrote:

I didn't come up with icing differential. In fact, if you look at the thread where it was brought up I bashed it. You seem to be railing against everyone here with absolutely zero appreciation of the debate that goes on. Yes, advanced stats don't tell the whole story, but they're an improvement on the counting stats we grew up with. Saying that stats can't capture the complexity of hockey is a worse than useless assertion.

Yes. I am lumping you all together. The actual debate I commented on was about appreciating Calgary's and 23's good play. How FN spoils it all with yet another, regression to the mean take. Then you showed up.

If you agree with how unsophisticated advanced stats are (even though better than counting) why do you use it to defend points with certainty? Why do you think it gives you some authority of the game to talk down to people who don't see things like you? Or to bash Feaster or others?

In one article, the variance of 23 streak explained away by luck. Wasn't he unlucky during streak too? And then to use Corsi and not apply the same standards of sample size used to justify the 'for' argument. Disingenuous.

If YOU perhaps questioned things instead of lapped it up perhaps we could have a reasonable debate.

Avatar
#20 Jeff Lebowski
October 13 2013, 05:57PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
7
props
Baalzamon wrote:

So um. Why are you here?

To sing the praises of David Jones vs You.

Avatar
#21 Walter white
October 12 2013, 12:47PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props

More on prospects: Keegan Kanzig: 6 games, 0 points, 19 penalty minutes, +3 (I guess that is an improvement...). WW

Avatar
#22 BJ
October 12 2013, 02:34PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
7
props

@BurningSensation

I would be worried about Nugents size and being a bit injury prone. I think Monahan has the size and skill that will make him a better two way player.

Hall maybe.

Avatar
#23 SoCalFlamesFan
October 12 2013, 06:33PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
6
props
beloch wrote:

Re: The Flames likely performance this season

The Flames are in the top third of the league for PDO, but their PDO is about the same as Toronto's was last season. The Flames' shooting percentage is in the top ten but goal-tending is bottom-ten. Calgary sh% is currently higher than Toronto's was last season, which was the highest in the league. We can expect it to regress a little. However, the goal-tending isn't likely to improve with MacBackup in net.

In short, Calgary has been good so far, but also lucky. For this team to keep winning when their luck turns, Ramo needs to play and he needs to be good.

I read on this site that the Flames were "unlucky" last year, according to "advanced stats" maybe its a returning to an average and a "lucky" 1st half this year. How about we enjoy it and stop hunting for storm-clouds to hide the silver linings.

Avatar
#24 Clyde
October 12 2013, 09:55PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
12
props
Walter white wrote:

More on prospects: Keegan Kanzig: 6 games, 0 points, 19 penalty minutes, +3 (I guess that is an improvement...). WW

He has a goal tonight and again is a plus player. So, stop insinuating he is not a worthwhile prospect.

Avatar
#25 beloch
October 13 2013, 08:53PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
4
props
jason knapp wrote:

I love this porier kid he make flames next year guarantee

Poirier had a great camp and showed a ton of promise, but I'm betting on at least a year in the AHL first. It's a looooong way from the QMJHL to the NHL! He's a couple months younger than Monahan and, if the QMJHL has the same agreement with the AHL as the CHL, would actually be ineligible to play in the AHL *next* season were he just two weeks older! He's undoubtedly ready for the AHL now though. Those AHL age agreements really seem to delay the occasional prospect.

Kanzig is a player who has a lot of raw tools, size, hockey intelligence, and an elite work ethic. However, he just hasn't put it all together yet, plus his skating is currently a bit of an impediment. Even shut-down defenders usually put up respectable offensive stats in the WHL, so his lack of offense up until now has been a concern. He really looked better offensively in the preseason than his stat-sheet indicated though. I'm willing to wager he will put up some offense this season and his skating will improve substantially by next summer's camp. He's a bit of a high-risk/long-term project, like Janko was when he was drafted, but there is definitely upside far beyond an enforcer there.

Speaking of Jankowski... 2 goals in 2 games so far this season. Promising!

Avatar
#26 Jeff Lebowski
October 14 2013, 01:18PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
4
props
Baalzamon wrote:

"Getting really sick of the negativity, Feastser bashing going on here. Let it go!"

Please show me where, on this thread, anyone has bashed Feaster. Just one example. Because I'm having tremendous difficulty finding one.

The only bashing going on is Jeff Lebowski lunging at anything that moves.

Look, I respect you and your opinions. The Feaster bashing may not be on THIS particular thread but it IS a constant theme. Lambert- to be fair, he has improved in this regard.

Perhaps even you have had some, less than flattering statements about Feaster.

The larger point I was hinting at was that there is a never ending search to be negatively critical about all things Flames.

While it is enjoyable to look at ways to improve, should we also not celebrate the successes?

It comes down to balance.

By clicking on the past articles one could do an experiment to judge such balance.

When the focus is on being critical, seeking the negatives aren't we just doing what the late, great Townes Van Zandt (If you've never heard of him...Steve Earle called him the greatest songwriter in history)sang,

"Waitin around to die"?

This fanbase wants to celebrate the successes, however ultimately fleeting.

Why crush that? I guess it's just a matter of personality and taste.

-Why do you take things so seriously? Were you really hurt? Why is it ok for people to be harsh on individuals not able (or don't care) to defend themselves on a forums like these (David Jones) and when they are scrutinized (to such a relatively minor way) its

Whaaaaaaa somebody call the whambulance!

In short, stop being such a crybaby.

Avatar
#27 Baalzamon
October 14 2013, 11:12PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
0
props
Kypreos wrote:

Pathetic....

I rest my case...

Real mature.

So I take it you couldn't find that example.

Avatar
#28 please cancel acct
October 12 2013, 12:07PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
5
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

I'll answer the last question a little differently...

The Flames are 5 games into the rebuild. Five. A sample that small doesn't have any influence on their rebuild whatsoever. When Roman Turek first arrived in Calgary, the team had one of it's best starts in org history. Craig Button re-inked Turek for 3 more years based on those first 10 games, the team folded immediately after and stunk for the next couple of seasons anyways.

The Minnestoa Wild led the Western Conference in points a couple of seasons ago around mid-December. They were a bottom-5 club by the time the season ended. The Edmonton Oilers have had more than a few streteches of "X" games over the last 7 years that causes commentators and fans to announce the Oil had finally turned the corner.

This start is a blip on the radar. We really don't know anything meaningful about this team yet.

Disagree.The Identity of this team is being built before our eyes, and that is Meaningful.

I doubt many fans believe there recent success will continue without some bumps and glitches.

Avatar
#29 Peter
October 12 2013, 12:16PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
4
props

2) Technically collecting points hurts their odds of finishing last but who cares?! They're winning games and putting on a heck of a show doing so.

I agree. I have always liked the fact that the Flames are the only NHL team (?) in the last 40 years to finish no worse than 6th from the bottom. That may happen this year but fortunately they're hard work in the early going provides proof that they can have a decent year. A little history repeating?...40 years ago the Flames again had the sixth selection, traded it to Montreal to move up to #2 and took Tom Lysiak, a center who led them to respectability. Hopefully Monahan (and astute drafting) can help them accomplish the same thing again.

Avatar
#30 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 03:04PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
6
props
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

nobody even coments on Botchford - hahaha what a loser.

i hope he gets blackballed

Yeah, he stepped over the line for no reason other than the appearance of being 'on the edge'.

Hopefully there is some blowback for his douchery.

Avatar
#31 SoCalFlamesFan
October 12 2013, 03:40PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
17
props

Seriously I have loved watching the team play of the Flames this past week. I read a bit of proper reporting on the main website: "Earlier in the summer, Sean Monahan's place of residence was a hotel room but that isn't the case anymore. The 19-year-old was offered a room in the Hudler household at the beginning of the season and the veteran is loving having the rookie in his home.

"It's a lot of fun. He eats a lot, that's for sure," Hudler grinned.

"I've liked him since I met him in training camp. He's a good guy. He's an honest person and fun to be around too. He's funny. He makes me laugh. I'm glad that he's on the team ... we're playing pool and we're talking about hockey all the time."

Hudler is having so much fun with Monahan that the youngster might have his stay may have to be extended.

"He might stay there for a year. He doesn't know that yet."

This is one of the reasons Monahan is performing, so too with Hudler. Hudler gained a ton of credit with me when I read this. This is how the penguins mentored Malkin and Crosby etc.

Avatar
#32 HongKongHockeyFan
October 12 2013, 08:48PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
3
props

@beloch

Some very good points. In particular, it's been great to see that Hudler is assuming a leadership role, which shows that he may really want to stay in Calgary for the long-haul.

Personally, I was really worried that with the loss of Tanguay (despite all his flaws), that the Flames would see a steep drop off in playmaking skill. I think the Flames really need his vision and puck handling skills, whether he plays on the 1st or 3rd line.

Avatar
#33 Walter white
October 13 2013, 07:14PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

@Clyde

What part of "I'm a big Kanzig fan" don't you guys get?? I like the guy and hope he does well! I hope all flames prospects make the show (ok, except Max Reinhart; I can't stand that arrogant , lazy goof living off his last name, minus 26 in Abby last year!! Come on. Maybe we are holding on to him in case Sam comes into play next year??) WW

Avatar
#34 Nick24
October 14 2013, 01:50AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
2
props
? wrote:

Don Cherry saying that he didn't like what Hertl did, and since Herti's from the Czech Republic he didn't know hockey players aren't supposed to play the game like that. Gimme a break, it's a freaking game. If Hertl wants to embarrass Biron, Lundqvist, or whoevers in net with a move, I as a fan want to see it. It's what sells the game, and I loved Hertl's move. Sick of Cherry.

I agree that Cherry suggesting Hertl's play in the Czech Republic is why he didn't understand what to do in this situation, is a load of crap.

However there is a bit of truth to the notion that you shouldn't be trying to embarrass the other team. I think that the between the legs move he pulled is a legitimate move these days and that any NHL forward worth his salt could probably pull it off. That being said, celebrating in the way he did, especially when the score is 9-1 or whatever it was, is something that a hockey player should try not to do.

I was completely okay with the whole play until I thought how I'd feel if that was my goalie in net when that happened and I would have been pretty mad.

I mean good for Hertl for having a four goal night, but its not the first time he has scored and he is going to score again, so show a little respect.

Avatar
#35 coachedpotatoe
October 12 2013, 10:54AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props

I agree with much of what you say about Monahan and I am moving quickly from the 9 and gone I started the season with to the camp that says he needs to be here to really develop, I think the next 3 games Anahiem, San Jose and LA will either confirm he should be here or he's not ready to go against more physical and talented centers.

While I'm impressed with the start and the way they are playing I am still not convinced that this can be maintained; the season is 82 games and I suspect they will have runs of losing that might be longer than 5 games. I also agree that developing this style goes along way in creating the culture of the rebuild.

I hope everyone in FN has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Avatar
#36 coachedpotatoe
October 12 2013, 11:03AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props

More updates on prospects, Jankowski scored twice for Providence in opener, also Johny Hockey had an assists. Poirier player of the the month in the Q.

Avatar
#37 Ryan Pike
October 12 2013, 11:19AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

The team still has holes and warts - goaltending, their face-offs, their penalty kill, getting generally out-shot at even-strength. But their commitment to structured play and some luck is getting them points.

Avatar
#39 Captain Ron
October 12 2013, 12:02PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props

I know that what we are watching is a bit of a mirage and they will no doubt have a losing streak creep up on them that last for a few games, and they will probably lose a lot more than they win when all is said and done.

But what is most inspiring about this group is that they are all pulling in the same direction, they seem to genuinely care about each other and their results on the ice. So the culture change we have been wanting for a long time is unfolding in front of us right now. The fans is the stands can see it and feel it. I don't ever remember being in the building this early in a season and witnessing the paying customers stand up and cheer this loudly after a successfully defended flurry by the opposition, a blocked shot or two, a great save, or after some sustained pressure in the other teams end of the rink like I am seeing this year. It is fun to go to the games again. Win or lose this is so much better than that crap we were subjected to for a few years. (culprits names withheld)

The coaching staff and management has their attention. The leaders on the team are leading and the early results are impressive.

Avatar
#40 Baalzamon
October 12 2013, 12:03PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
9
props

My favourite thing about the whole Hertl trickshot fiasco is that Adam Oates flamed him for it, then said he "made a mistake". In what way did Hertl make a mistake? He was alone in front of the net, attempted to score, and succeeded. Where was the mistake made?

Talk about things being blown out of proportion for no reason.

Avatar
#41 piscera.infada
October 12 2013, 12:11PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props

@Captain Ron

This is exactly what I was trying to get at. I think for the most part the fan base is fairly realistic about what this team is. While outsiders might want to peg the buzz around this team as a product of winning, I think it's more so about a team finally playing like a team - a team that wants to be there.

Avatar
#42 BurningSensation
October 12 2013, 03:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
TRAV wrote:

TotAlly agree that this was a legit move. I think that Oates may have been a bit upset about the big celebration after. I think that this was like the ninth goal. Some (Oates) would say that you don't give a huge celebration to go up by seven with a few minutes left. In junior this would get you punched in the face for showing up an opponent.

If I scored four goals I would be excited too. I agree with you that Oates and others should be thrilled for some creative fun in hockey. Mountain out of a mole hill!

Sure sounded like sour grapes to me from Oates.

Especially ironic given he was the setup man for one of the biggest goofs in NHL history.

Avatar
#43 beloch
October 12 2013, 05:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
10
props

@SoCalFlamesFan

Now that's mentoring. Kudos to Hudler!

Avatar
#44 beloch
October 12 2013, 05:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props

Re: The Flames likely performance this season

The Flames are in the top third of the league for PDO, but their PDO is about the same as Toronto's was last season. The Flames' shooting percentage is in the top ten but goal-tending is bottom-ten. Calgary sh% is currently higher than Toronto's was last season, which was the highest in the league. We can expect it to regress a little. However, the goal-tending isn't likely to improve with MacBackup in net.

In short, Calgary has been good so far, but also lucky. For this team to keep winning when their luck turns, Ramo needs to play and he needs to be good.

Avatar
#45 ?
October 12 2013, 06:13PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
18
props

Don Cherry saying that he didn't like what Hertl did, and since Herti's from the Czech Republic he didn't know hockey players aren't supposed to play the game like that. Gimme a break, it's a freaking game. If Hertl wants to embarrass Biron, Lundqvist, or whoevers in net with a move, I as a fan want to see it. It's what sells the game, and I loved Hertl's move. Sick of Cherry.

Avatar
#46 HongKongHockeyFan
October 12 2013, 06:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
17
props

Jiri Hudler has 7 points! Amongst the NHL's leaders in points as of yesterday.

Is he under appreciated or over-looked? Has this been one of Feaster's most under-rated/under-appreciated moves last year? Is he part of the Flames future? Or is he future trade-bait?

He looks pretty good to me. Very smart. Accurate shot! Good value.

Avatar
#47 Baalzamon
October 12 2013, 11:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
8
props

@Clyde

He was also third star.

Avatar
#48 exsanguinator
October 12 2013, 11:59PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props

Liking Monahan so far, even if his SH% falls back to earth, somewhere in the 8% region, he would still be good for 17 goals. I hope he stays. He's not going to develop in junior and if he falls off the boat then he will be eligible for the AHL next season.

Avatar
#49 coachedpotatoe
October 13 2013, 07:43AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

While most of us are very happy with the results so far I doubt that many of us expect these results to continue, however we should all expect that the work ethic and team effort continues. I here in the media that we are a young team yet when I look at the line up I see the following players as young TJB, Bouma, Street, Monahan, Sven and one could include back's in this list. The rest are players who have been pros elsewhere and are new to the Flames. We still need to see how more of the prospects develop. The Heat lost last night scoring only one goal; Horak and lost in shoot out.(Evidence of a lack of the highly skilled forwards we will need at some point)It seems like some of our prospects need to pick their game up in Abbotsford, Ferland for one played quite well at the rookie tournie and in preseason here but has not seemed to have found his game at the AHL level. He is one guy that I have high hopes for in filling a key roster spot on the big club in a couple of years; power forward who has skills but play a physical game. Much like Bouma but with a higher top end. I also see Poirier in the same light but with his speed and finish at a higher end( he keeps scoring in Q and also takes penalties suggesting he is either physical or taking bad penalties)

I'm glad the big club is playing well and getting some results but in many ways I am more interested in the future and how the kids are developing; especially the forwards. On D I really think we have some prospects who will help fill out the top 6 in the not so distant future.

Avatar
#50 Baalzamon
October 13 2013, 10:25AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@coachedpotatoe

Your opinion of who is "young" is... interesting. Ben Street is older than Backlund (2 years), Galiardi (1 year), and Russell (~3 months). And yet, Backlund is only an honourable mention, and Galiardi and Russell are ignored completely.

Is it possible you meant inexperienced?

Comments are closed for this article.