Monahan Staying with the Flames

October 23 2013 11:44AM

Surprising no one, Jay Feaster announced this morning that Sean Monahan will not be returning to junior this season. The 19 year old rookie has had a blazing start to his career offense-wise, but the fact that he doesn't look overwhelmed at the other end of the ice is probably the reason the club has decided to keep him around.

My pragmatic budget efficiency concerns aside, Monahan has looked like an NHL capable player through his first nine contests, so the fears of him being "ruined" by being needlessly promoted to the show - as happens with some teens - are probably not relevant. And that's even if you accept that his scoring outburst to start the year is percentages based and not necessarily indicative of his true talent level currently.

Monahan's skipped the queue is no doubt the best prospect in the club's hopper currently.

Discuss.

#1 Jeff In Lethbridge
October 23 2013, 11:55AM

I'm glad. Not because it will help us win more... I'm still expecting a very high draft pick. But -because this is where he will develop the most.

#3 jeremywilhelm
October 23 2013, 08:07PM

Well laaaa dee daaaaa Jeff Lebowski. Laaaaa deee daaa

#4 seve927
October 23 2013, 03:42PM

Are we glad we didn't trade our 3 first rounders to Colorado? Serious question. Would you rather have Monahan, Poirier and Klimchuk, or one of those other guys? I'm glad Colorado didn't go for it.

#5 jeremywilhelm
October 23 2013, 12:13PM

Shooting percentage aside. I've seen some progression in his game in just the last 9. There is some assertiveness to his game that took Backlund about 2 years to show. He was also making some strong plays in the D zone against Phoenix that probably went unnoticed. He also had two very good scoring chances right in close on the net that were almost goals.

Once Stajan is back and he and Backlund can do the heavy lifting, I think this is the right choice in the long run. Kid is already an NHLer. Ignoring the contract issue, I don't see how you could reasonably send him back without leaving a very sour taste in the kids mouth for the organization.

#6 Dr. Philosophy
October 23 2013, 02:00PM

I'm just happy I won't have to read any more craptacular articles on why he should be returned to the 67s.

#7 piscera.infada
October 23 2013, 12:03PM

@FireOnIce

They've already said they'll 'loan' him to the WJHC. It's not like this team is going to need him for a playoff push or anything.

#8 Captain Ron
October 23 2013, 12:03PM

I'm ok with him staying on the big club. He's proven he belongs and will develop just fine even in a sheltered 15 minutes a night role. May as well hang with the NHL guys like Hudler, Geo and the boys who can show him the way to becoming a great pro. Congrats Sean you earned it.

On a selfish note he was the last addition on my fantasy team this year. With 9 points he is ahead of guys like Kesler, Parise, and Toews etc. on my team.

So yeah, I'm happy with the decision.

#9 Rockmorton65
October 23 2013, 12:53PM

Another thought, if they sent Monahan down, would that make Gaudreau think twice about signing here? What would it say to these unsigned guys if they are one of the best players on the team, but still can't make it?

#10 Lober
October 23 2013, 06:29PM

Iginla just got his first of the year on a great shift by him. GO IGGY!

#11 Dave
October 23 2013, 11:52AM

I'm Ok with this. Now I can watch him play more.

#12 seve927
October 23 2013, 12:00PM

I think the easy decision would have been to send him down. The perceived "safe" call. I'm glad they had the balls to do what they think is right.

#13 Karimeeloranta
October 23 2013, 05:09PM

Somebody has to win the Calder, it may as well be Monahan...

#14 Justin Azevedo
October 23 2013, 02:49PM
kittensandcookies wrote:

Remember folks, they can still send him down to junior.

if they do that it will be a colossally stupid decision.

#15 A rye morning
October 23 2013, 03:35PM

Sean Monohan knighted Corban Knight

#16 Parallex
October 23 2013, 11:58AM

Was hoping that they could resist the urge but I guess not. Oh well, just gotta hope that it doesn't come back to bite the Flames in the future.

#17 Scary Gary
October 23 2013, 11:59AM

I'm a bit surprised he's playing as well as he has in these nine games. Good for him though; he's shown that he doesn't look out of place and is willing to get the 'dirty' goals.

#18 FireOnIce
October 23 2013, 12:00PM

My only pre-req for Monahan staying was always that he needed to be playing significant minutes. Looking good enough to stay in the NHL is an added bonus.

His TOI has been 15+ minutes over the last 6 games, with 21:11 against the LAK and 19:26 against Phoenix. He has played PP minutes and gotten points, and hasn't been a significant detriment to the team when on the ice (-3 games against VAN aside).

Guess his staying makes sense, and I'm cool with it. Also, this doesn't preclude him being sent down later in the season if need be, or for the World Juniors. I think he should still go to the WJHC and get that medal though, as that's probably better for his leadership development than mucking with the Flames.

#19 the-wolf
October 23 2013, 02:20PM

I was probably the biggest proponent on sending him back, but even I'm sold on keeping him up now. He's a year ahead of where I thought he'd be. I said he had to show he was a 2nd line center on almost any team and I didn't think that possible, but he's basically done that. Incredible. Here's hoping he doesn't hit a wall (not too hard anyways).

#20 Ryan Pike
October 23 2013, 09:51PM

The billeting condition is likely because he's never lived alone before. They want him to focus on hockey, so having someone else deal with his day-to-day stuff at this point is smart. He can learn about the everyday stuff over the summer.

#21 bookofloob
October 23 2013, 12:18PM

hey guys

#22 Justin Azevedo
October 23 2013, 02:48PM
Rockmorton65 wrote:

no. it says nothing.

let's be real here. these guys aren't morons. they're not dolls. they understand this is a business and business decisions sometimes have to be made. plain and simple. having hurt feelings about a business decision says more about the player's inability to cope with a high pressure atmosphere more than anything.

#23 ChinookArch
October 23 2013, 03:00PM

I took a lot of arrows around here for saying he should go back, and I wouldn't have been disappointed, if the Flames chose to do so. At the end of the day, I'm happy to watch him play in the NHL, and I'm glad for the player.

A tip of the hat to Mr. Monahan.

#24 Derek
October 23 2013, 08:07PM

9 games and most posters are certain of the future of Monahan.

You all should be GM's.

#25 negrilcowboy
October 23 2013, 12:16PM

great ddecision, monzie will benefit more by staying plain and simple. its up to hartley to manage the asset.

#26 A rye morning
October 23 2013, 03:37PM

Sean Monahan taught James Bond how to defeat super villains and bed women.

#27 Rockmorton65
October 23 2013, 04:48PM
T&A4Flames wrote:

Seriously??! I think I am more tired over this Gaudreau anxiety that is out there than the seemingly endless Jankowski debate. I can't see him not signing because he may percieve this line of thinking.

Like Janko, its still too early to concern ourselves with this. JMO.

Too early? Gaudreau can sign when he's done school this year, which I'm guessing is March or April. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Flames uniform sometime this year.

Its not anxiety. I think its a valid concern. Part of the Flames new "image" is the idea that talented youth will get a legitimate chance to earn a spot. What would it say about Flames management if they sent Monahan down? You can be one of the best rookies in the league, be a PPG player and still not get a shot. Its a dangerous message to send and is hypocritical of this new "image"

Corban Knight signed here because of the opportunity, Tim Erixon wanted out because it wasn't there, and now we are trying to convince Gaudreau and others its worth starting their careers with us.

#28 Rockmorton65
October 23 2013, 07:34PM
Walter white wrote:

Ok, how about now? Which one of those 3 first overall turds from the Oilers would you trade for Monahan now....? WW

Hmmm....two guys made of glass or a stereotypical Russian.....in the words of Alex Tanguay, "always a pass"

#29 Veggie Dog
October 23 2013, 07:40PM
BurningSensation wrote:

I'd still trade him for Hall or the Nuge, but No on Yakupov.

Hall is always injured, and Nuge is a milquetoast.

#30 lionlager
October 23 2013, 11:05PM

He's no Jankowski

#31 Nighteyes
October 23 2013, 11:58AM

I think that if Hartley continues to increase Monohan's minutes but doesn't put him in situations where he might get banged up and/or overmatched, I'm fine with him staying. As his confidence and other weaknesses improve, his role can increase. I feel that going back to the OHL probably wouldn't have helped Monohan, but sometimes I also feel he's just a kid with unreal expectations right now because of his scoring burst to to start the year. I wish he could have a nice long year stint the Heat, that would truly be beneficial in my opinion.

#32 Justin Azevedo
October 23 2013, 02:52PM

@JaromeTakesSlapShots

iggy's brute force slap shots haven't worked since, oh, 2010. hasn't stopped him from scoring. at this current rate, assuming about 10% shooting percentage, he'll have 30 by the end of the season.

#33 Kevin R
October 23 2013, 04:34PM
seve927 wrote:

That one really melts brain cells. Mckinnon is going to be elite but I think Monomoster isn't far behind & Calgary had way more holes to plug than Colorado. So personally, we need the 3 picks.

The guy that is amazing me is how Cammi is coming across. Either he & Feasty have talked & know there is no market for him until the trade deadline & his not being a team player is an issue. So either his trade ability is being shined up or he really wants to help the rebuild. I say if Stemps or Cammi are not resigned to a cap friendly deal by the deadline they go regardless & you can throw Stajan in that category.

Gio being hurt & seeing friggin Butler in the top pairing with Brodie has scared me poopless. Would Liles & a 2nd for Butler a better option in this scenario?

#34 T&A4Flames
October 23 2013, 07:15PM
Walter white wrote:

At this moment? NOT ONE!!

#35 MichaelD
October 23 2013, 08:56PM

@jeremywilhelm

I wanna prop you twice for saying that

#36 Parallex
October 23 2013, 12:07PM

Now that he's up for good I think they ought to shelter him less. I'm not saying throw him to the wolves but maybe even out his OZ starts and DZ starts and have him kill some penalties (god knows we could use a different look on the PK).

#37 MichaelD
October 23 2013, 12:16PM

@Parallex

No no no, Stay the course for now. If they start giving him tough minutes right after the decide to keep him and he falters everyone will be saying I told you so. Keep him where he is having success now, let him grow confidence and then nearer to the second half of the season, thats when minutes get tougher.

#38 Kevin R
October 23 2013, 01:28PM

:-} ;-} :-}

Well lick my pucks & buff my stick, I am thrilled about this decision.

:-}

#39 kittensandcookies
October 23 2013, 04:36PM
backburner wrote:

I sure do like Sean Monahan..

Anyone have any thoughts on him being billeted as one of the "conditions" of this decision?

I'm thinking they didn't want him to get any hip injuries.

#40 Captain Ron
October 23 2013, 09:13PM
Derek wrote:

9 games and most posters are certain of the future of Monahan.

You all should be GM's.

Well Derek,

Most of us are optimistic about the kids future for some stupid reason or another.

If you are not then please go ahead and enlighten us with your thoughts about the kid since that is what the comment option is primarily for.

It is better than criticizing en mass when you don't agree.

There are lots of intelligent comments on this forum that are well thought out by the authors.

#41 bookofloob
October 23 2013, 12:24PM

@negrilcowboy

MONZIE?

#42 T&A4Flames
October 23 2013, 12:52PM
Parallex wrote:

I didn't say give him "tough minutes" (In fact I said not to throw him to the wolves) I said give him less easy minutes... balanced responsibilities.

If we're going to be developing his game in the NHL then I would want all of his game to be developed (including his D-zone responsibilities and penalty killing). Not some to the exclusion of others. Frankly, I'd like to think that if he's mature enough to stay in the NHL then he's mature enough to be able to find confidence (or whatever other sports meme someone prefer) in his performance defensively and on special teams other then the PP.

IMO if they were going to make it tough fhey would have done it in the 1st 9 games to ensure he can handle responsibilty. Burke said in his presser that he would wait to hear from Hartley if he could guarantee the minutes he would stay. If not, he goes.

I think Hartley has done a great job challenging Moneyhands for the 1st 9 games. Whatever the plan was, they should continue on that path. Don't just quickly add responsibility because he is staying. Hartley no doubt will add and subtract minutes/responsibilities through out the season as he sees fit.

#43 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
October 23 2013, 01:37PM
bookofloob wrote:

hey guys

FU@K OFF, Loob. We dont' need an eighties Swedish guy telling us how to run things when we have a new-breed of Swedish sexy: Backlund.

#44 BurningSensation
October 23 2013, 02:40PM
the-wolf wrote:

Same boat. He genuinely proved he can play, and keeping him around shouldn't stunt his development.

#45 thprop1
October 23 2013, 03:28PM

What are you going to do, they would have told the kid to "make it impossible to send him down" and he did so....you have to reward his efforts.

#46 seve927
October 23 2013, 05:18PM
Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea wrote:

As much as I like Monahan, I'd still rather have MacKinnon than the three we have. Time will tell, as always.

I think (hope) there's less of a gap between 1 and 6 than was expected in June. Given Poirier and Klimchuk's performances so far, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the 3. Close call though.

#47 Brent G.
October 23 2013, 06:07PM
Walter white wrote:

The only one I would sort of consider is Hall. Even then likely not. Too injury prone

#48 BurningSensation
October 23 2013, 07:31PM
Walter white wrote:

I'd still trade him for Hall or the Nuge, but No on Yakupov.

#49 Justin
October 23 2013, 07:55PM

Should have sent him back to Jrs.

#50 kittensandcookies
October 23 2013, 12:31PM

Remember folks, they can still send him down to junior.