Monahan Staying with the Flames

Kent Wilson
October 23 2013 11:44AM

 

 

Surprising no one, Jay Feaster announced this morning that Sean Monahan will not be returning to junior this season. The 19 year old rookie has had a blazing start to his career offense-wise, but the fact that he doesn't look overwhelmed at the other end of the ice is probably the reason the club has decided to keep him around.

My pragmatic budget efficiency concerns aside, Monahan has looked like an NHL capable player through his first nine contests, so the fears of him being "ruined" by being needlessly promoted to the show - as happens with some teens - are probably not relevant. And that's even if you accept that his scoring outburst to start the year is percentages based and not necessarily indicative of his true talent level currently.

Monahan's skipped the queue is no doubt the best prospect in the club's hopper currently.

Discuss.

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
Former Nations Overlord. Current FN contributor and curmudgeon For questions, complaints, criticisms, etc contact Kent @ kent.wilson@gmail. Follow him on Twitter here.
Avatar
#51 negrilcowboy
October 23 2013, 12:48PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
kittensandcookies wrote:

Remember folks, they can still send him down to junior.

amen brother.

Avatar
#52 T&A4Flames
October 23 2013, 01:58PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props

@Rockmorton65

Seriously??! I think I am more tired over this Gaudreau anxiety that is out there than the seemingly endless Jankowski debate. I can't see him not signing because he may percieve this line of thinking.

Like Janko, its still too early to concern ourselves with this. JMO.

Avatar
#53 kittensandcookies
October 23 2013, 03:30PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props

@Kent Wilson

What gets me excited is that he's pretty sneaky... His plays seem to leave the opposition in a "WTF Just Happened?" state.

Avatar
#54 A rye morning
October 23 2013, 03:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
8
props

Sean Monahan taught James Bond how to defeat super villains and bed women.

Avatar
#55 JaromeTakesSlapShots
October 23 2013, 03:47PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props

@Parallex

As long as the Jarome can get his standard 4 shots per game, h

Avatar
#56 kittensandcookies
October 23 2013, 04:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
6
props
backburner wrote:

I sure do like Sean Monahan..

Anyone have any thoughts on him being billeted as one of the "conditions" of this decision?

I'm thinking they didn't want him to get any hip injuries.

Avatar
#57 seve927
October 23 2013, 05:18PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props
Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea wrote:

As much as I like Monahan, I'd still rather have MacKinnon than the three we have. Time will tell, as always.

I think (hope) there's less of a gap between 1 and 6 than was expected in June. Given Poirier and Klimchuk's performances so far, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the 3. Close call though.

Avatar
#58 Brent G.
October 23 2013, 06:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props
Rockmorton65 wrote:

Too early? Gaudreau can sign when he's done school this year, which I'm guessing is March or April. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Flames uniform sometime this year.

Its not anxiety. I think its a valid concern. Part of the Flames new "image" is the idea that talented youth will get a legitimate chance to earn a spot. What would it say about Flames management if they sent Monahan down? You can be one of the best rookies in the league, be a PPG player and still not get a shot. Its a dangerous message to send and is hypocritical of this new "image"

Corban Knight signed here because of the opportunity, Tim Erixon wanted out because it wasn't there, and now we are trying to convince Gaudreau and others its worth starting their careers with us.

You're wrong. Gadreau is eligible to re-enter the draft a year after this one because he skipped a step in his road to the NCAA. That should all but remove any concerns.

Let's give it a rest for a while

Avatar
#59 Mitch P
October 23 2013, 07:25PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props

Anyone catch the snarkiness in Rog's voice when he asked Jay about the "so-called experts" that thought Sean should go back? (ie: Kent and most of the nation) Always like Rog, but that was interesting to say the least... Also love how quickly did Hartley answer the goaltending question for Dallas... the journo couldn't even get her question out before he said "Kari Ramo." Awesome.

Avatar
#60 jeremywilhelm
October 23 2013, 08:07PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
24
props

Well laaaa dee daaaaa Jeff Lebowski. Laaaaa deee daaa

Avatar
#61 MichaelD
October 23 2013, 08:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
7
props

@jeremywilhelm

I wanna prop you twice for saying that

Avatar
#62 chillout
October 23 2013, 09:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props

I think most of those that are calling the flames stupid are assuming that it means that we're going to throw him to the wolves. Don't think we're going to be like the oilers and do that to a first year player. He's going to be sheltered and put into the situations he can handle like most rookies who are treated properly. Every now and again they are going to let him get his butt worked over to make sure he see's that he needs to improve but that's all normal stuff.

Keeping him up was the right choice!

Avatar
#63 John
October 23 2013, 09:33PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props

I don't think Feaster had a choice in the end, the kid made it impossible for him to send down. Not only would the Flames have a hole to fill in the lineup. A lot of Fans would have been calling for Feaster's head. It's been a long time since a Flame's rookie started scoring right off the bat in the NHL and usually those players turn into star players. Maybe in a few years time, he turn out to be the best player of the 2013 draft and people will say what a steal at 6th spot.

Avatar
#64 lionlager
October 23 2013, 11:05PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
8
props

He's no Jankowski

Avatar
#65 Cowtown 1989
October 23 2013, 12:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

No brainer. It will be important to temper expectations for this young man as the season progresses. No need for talk of a slump when he doesn't register points for a few games in a row later in the season. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and let him grow like the Wings do with their prospects. World Juniors will still be an option. Cautionary side note- Fata surprised he was cut...again. Please Lord, remove the curse of the 6th overall pick with this one.

Avatar
#66 kittensandcookies
October 23 2013, 12:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props

Remember folks, they can still send him down to junior.

Avatar
#67 T&A4Flames
October 23 2013, 12:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props
Parallex wrote:

I didn't say give him "tough minutes" (In fact I said not to throw him to the wolves) I said give him less easy minutes... balanced responsibilities.

If we're going to be developing his game in the NHL then I would want all of his game to be developed (including his D-zone responsibilities and penalty killing). Not some to the exclusion of others. Frankly, I'd like to think that if he's mature enough to stay in the NHL then he's mature enough to be able to find confidence (or whatever other sports meme someone prefer) in his performance defensively and on special teams other then the PP.

IMO if they were going to make it tough fhey would have done it in the 1st 9 games to ensure he can handle responsibilty. Burke said in his presser that he would wait to hear from Hartley if he could guarantee the minutes he would stay. If not, he goes.

I think Hartley has done a great job challenging Moneyhands for the 1st 9 games. Whatever the plan was, they should continue on that path. Don't just quickly add responsibility because he is staying. Hartley no doubt will add and subtract minutes/responsibilities through out the season as he sees fit.

Avatar
#68 Avalain
October 23 2013, 01:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Monaertchi Gaudnett wrote:

Why can't he go to Abby?

Because there is a deal between the CHL and AHL. He can only go to the NHL or CHL until such and such age.

Avatar
#69 Dr. Philosophy
October 23 2013, 02:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
16
props

I'm just happy I won't have to read any more craptacular articles on why he should be returned to the 67s.

Avatar
#70 Tony
October 23 2013, 02:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Monaertchi Gaudnett wrote:

Why can't he go to Abby?

NHL (not AHL) has agreement with the CHL to send all CHL drafted underagers (18/19 years old) back to their junior team if they don't make the big squad.

It's not going to change anytime soon as it looks like the agreement is going to be extended for another 7 years.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/53922-Why-Sean-Monahan-should-be-allowed-to-play-in-the-AHL-this-season.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=thn_daily_20131022

Avatar
#71 the-wolf
October 23 2013, 02:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
10
props

I was probably the biggest proponent on sending him back, but even I'm sold on keeping him up now. He's a year ahead of where I thought he'd be. I said he had to show he was a 2nd line center on almost any team and I didn't think that possible, but he's basically done that. Incredible. Here's hoping he doesn't hit a wall (not too hard anyways).

Avatar
#72 JaromeTakesSlapShots
October 23 2013, 02:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props

Hopefully Mr. Monahan can stay motivated to keep developing and producing. I just hope that he won't feel entitled and "safe" now that he is past his audition.

On another note: Anyone notice that Iggy is still goalless, yet leading the Bruins in shots? Iggy's brute force slap shots ain't working like they use to... I wish I can get paid 6 million for taking slap shots...

Avatar
#73 Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea
October 23 2013, 02:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
BurningSensation wrote:

Same boat. He genuinely proved he can play, and keeping him around shouldn't stunt his development.

Me too. He's proven me wrong and I'm all the happier about it. He seems to be a special player with the right mix of maturity, attitude, and talent. There will obviously be many ups and downs, but I'm looking forward to watching captain Monahan hoist the cup in the next few years.

Avatar
#74 ChinookArch
October 23 2013, 03:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
9
props

I took a lot of arrows around here for saying he should go back, and I wouldn't have been disappointed, if the Flames chose to do so. At the end of the day, I'm happy to watch him play in the NHL, and I'm glad for the player.

A tip of the hat to Mr. Monahan.

Avatar
#75 kittensandcookies
October 23 2013, 03:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
Justin Azevedo wrote:

if they do that it will be a colossally stupid decision.

Many people have assumed that after the 10 game period, he HAS to stay here, when in fact that is not the case.

That is simply what I am clarifying.

Avatar
#77 thprop1
October 23 2013, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props

What are you going to do, they would have told the kid to "make it impossible to send him down" and he did so....you have to reward his efforts.

Avatar
#78 Parallex
October 23 2013, 03:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Justin Azevedo

I figure so long as he gets his PP time Iggy will probably pot 25 or so.

Avatar
#79 A rye morning
October 23 2013, 03:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
11
props

Sean Monohan knighted Corban Knight

Avatar
#80 prendrefeu
October 23 2013, 03:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

So anyway, can we get rid of McDonald yet? Is there any worse goalie in the NHL? (Honest question, not just asking about the numbers, but more of actual performance)

...and is there any chance the Flames can get a great backup or better goalie situation with a trade during the season?

Avatar
#81 seve927
October 23 2013, 03:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
19
props

Are we glad we didn't trade our 3 first rounders to Colorado? Serious question. Would you rather have Monahan, Poirier and Klimchuk, or one of those other guys? I'm glad Colorado didn't go for it.

Avatar
#82 exsanguinator
October 23 2013, 04:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I like this decision. He deserves to play in the league at his age given his performance over the first nine games. His power play time hasn't dropped all that much with the return of Squid and while he didn't get any points last night in PHX he was playing very smart and I noticed more than a few times that he was one of the guys banging away at rebounds right in front of the net.

He keeps playing like that and he'll get his points regardless of whether or not his percentages fall to league average or slightly above (I predict him to be in the 10% range this season for shooting unless his shot rate improves) and he's doing a lot of the little things right.

I think the primary reason they decided to keep him up is that at his age, not being a complete defensive liability, is a huge bonus. Unlike some of the Flames actual defensemen. I see where the two way center label came from.

The only thing I'd like to see a major improvement in is his FO% but like every other young center I don't expect him to be blowing veterans out of the water on the dot any time this season.

Avatar
#83 piscera.infada
October 23 2013, 05:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea

I think it's a tough call, and as you said, obviously time will tell. But I think it's more than simply offensive numbers. If this team is going to be built in more or less the same direction they're playing now (hard forecheck, hard backcheck, cycle, score, and get the puck out of the zone quickly) then maybe Monahan, Porier, and Klimchuk actually fit that bill more than a MacKinnon would. If the goal is to transition this into more of a dangle and score off the rush type team, then no doubt, you want the kid who's going to play better in that system.

As of right now though, I agree with the poster above (sorry, forget who that is) I would prefer the three prospects to only one, as Monahan at this point looks like a true blue-chipper.

Avatar
#84 acg5151
October 23 2013, 05:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

There is no real benefit to sending him down. If he is good enough to roll with the big dogs - which he clearly is, isn't getting completely killed physically, and gets to work with NHL coaches rather than OHL coaches, I'd say it's a winning situation.

Now, if he was sucking and was getting hammered night in and night out and the team was losing I would say send him down. In that case there would be no benefit. However, that's not happening.

I really feel like you learn more by working with professionals and learning from them, rather than whipping butt on kids.

Right now Monahan reminds me of a friend of mine who skipped a bunch of grades and got into college when he was 16. He was getting B's in college classes - what would he have learned by staying in high school two more years? Now if he was flunking hard I would say he went through a little fast. That wasn't happening.

As far as the contract issues, I think it's overstated. The Flames are going to have to pay him eventually. Another year isn't going to make a huge difference. Pay him a good contract and lock him up long term if he earns it.

Avatar
#85 Aussie Flame
October 23 2013, 09:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

There has been a lot of banter regarding ELC on this site, admittedly not as much on this thread. My question is if we start his ELC a year earlier, won't his first contract be cheaper than if we start the ELC next year? Won't another year of development/growth improve his 3 year ELC performance and justify more money?

Following from this, do we expect the Flames to be contenders in 3 years? If not, say we expect them to be closer to contending in 4-5 years, aren't we better to start his ELC now, and have him on a cheaper contract in his 4-5th year, than start it next year and have a more expensive first contract for those years?

I don't know if anyone has raised this/answered this yet

Avatar
#86 MichaelD
October 23 2013, 09:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Aussie Flame

First by saying 'cheaper' we are talking about millions of dollars, and no I don't think it will be much cheaper because in three years Monahan will have shown what he is worth, one more year of development in three years from now won't make too much of a difference in terms of money.

My point is, it's not NHL 13 where every year a player increases by X number of overall (which corresponds to X number of dollars) until a certain age and then starts decreases by X number of overall. Three years from now it'll be clear how Monahan fits into the team and an extra year of development will mean nothing compared to contract talk.

Edit: The point you raise has been raised many times and debated though. A quick search (on this site or others) will show both sides, theres pros and cons

Avatar
#87 Ryan Pike
October 23 2013, 09:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
10
props

The billeting condition is likely because he's never lived alone before. They want him to focus on hockey, so having someone else deal with his day-to-day stuff at this point is smart. He can learn about the everyday stuff over the summer.

Avatar
#88 Rockmorton65
October 24 2013, 10:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Ryan Pike wrote:

The billeting condition is likely because he's never lived alone before. They want him to focus on hockey, so having someone else deal with his day-to-day stuff at this point is smart. He can learn about the everyday stuff over the summer.

Exactly. Even Crosby lived with Lemieux and his family for his first 2-3 years in the league. Sounds like a smart move.

Avatar
#89 theCalgaryJames
October 24 2013, 10:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Players who are at all useful in the show at 19 are a rare breed. They almost always go on to be excellent-to-elite NHLers.

So, in sum, assuming Mr.Monahan continues to look comfortable...yay!

Is there a list somewhere of the players who have started their NHL careers at 19? Obviously guys like Crosby, Toews, Stamkos...

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed but you gotta love what we're seeing from Monahan. The sky seems like the limit for this kid.

Avatar
#90 Kevin R
October 24 2013, 12:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Captain Ron wrote:

Well Derek,

Most of us are optimistic about the kids future for some stupid reason or another.

If you are not then please go ahead and enlighten us with your thoughts about the kid since that is what the comment option is primarily for.

It is better than criticizing en mass when you don't agree.

There are lots of intelligent comments on this forum that are well thought out by the authors.

You tell him buddy! :}

You are way more tactful, I would have told him to pound

Avatar
#91 Captain Ron
October 24 2013, 04:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
jeremywilhelm wrote:

Well laaaa dee daaaaa Jeff Lebowski. Laaaaa deee daaa

You deserve a standing ovation for this one!

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP!!!!

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Avatar
#92 Captain Ron
October 24 2013, 04:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Kevin R wrote:

You tell him buddy! :}

You are way more tactful, I would have told him to pound

I would have but with that politically correct cyber bullying thing going around these days it had me second guessing that as an option.

Avatar
#93 Anar Saju
October 24 2013, 09:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Jeff Lebowski

I think Sean Monahan is a tribute for the Calgary Flames; and he should stay. Nevertheless, he, Hudler and Baertschi have a great chemistry together....when broken the spell is broken.

Comments are closed for this article.