Flames New Third Jersey?

October 06 2013 09:46AM

It looks like EA's NHL14 has the Flames third jerseys. And it looks like they kid of suck.

Of course, jersey design is inhenrently subjective and it will be impossible to please everyone. Looking at this one again, I prefer it to the old fire breathing horse head, but then I know folks who really like that one.

This isn't an official announcement or anything and it's possible EA made up their own alternative jersey option. Guess we'll see.

#1 Lober
October 06 2013, 11:19AM

The white C retro jerseys are about 100000000000x better :(

#2 loudogYYC
October 06 2013, 01:20PM

This would be the ugliest jersey of the history of the team. I've seen Walmart Flames pajamas that look sharper than this jersey.

Now that NHL14 released the news, I'm sure the Chinese fakes are on their way here. Let's hope the Flames were clever and gave EA Sports the wrong design.

#3 schevvy
October 06 2013, 10:24AM

BRING BACK THE HORSEHEAD

#4 underscore
October 06 2013, 11:18AM

That is just absolutely awful. Hopefully this isn't the real thing.

#5 Justin Azevedo
October 06 2013, 12:37PM

haha oh man everything about these is garbage

#6 Scary Gary
October 06 2013, 12:46PM

Th retro jersey is the best one.

#7 Veggie Dog
October 06 2013, 11:22AM
Lober wrote:

The white C retro jerseys are about 100000000000x better :(

I agree, and the horsehead, or absolutely anything. This one is bloody awful.

#8 T&A4Flames
October 06 2013, 10:03AM

Meh. Kind of plane but I'll take it over the fire snot horse head.

#9 BurningSensation
October 06 2013, 10:30AM

Oh dear god no.

I much preferred the horsehead design to this.

#10 Trevy
October 06 2013, 03:07PM

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

#11 Parallex
October 06 2013, 11:30AM

Yes retro's are better... but I'd call this better (in theory can't say for sure until I see it in fabric) then horse-snot and Ronald McDonald.

#12 nw26
October 06 2013, 11:55AM

Kind of boring. But better than the horsehead. Horses, fire, they never go together well.

#13 Parallex
October 06 2013, 11:12AM

I don't much care for the lettering but the colors and bars look snazzy. The shoulder black (a lot like the Wilds road whites) stands out nicely and patches will look great on them. Wonder if the player name lettering will follow the Canes or Wild example?

I think I would have loved this jersey if they had instead done a circle logo with a smaller team symbol inside with "Calgary" on the inside top of the circle and "Flames" on the inside bottom of the circle ala the Pitts 2008-2011 alternates or the Chi 2009-2011 alternates.

#14 Baalzamon
October 06 2013, 12:02PM

@nw26

#15 Sincity1976
October 06 2013, 12:07PM

I actually like the overall design. If there was a big Flaming C in the middle this would be a nice jersey. But the logo is crap.

#16 nw26
October 06 2013, 01:18PM

I think most of the following are better:

At least it's not the Buffalo jersey.

#17 suba steve
October 06 2013, 03:57PM

I asked myself, "is this something I need to be concerned with?"

My quick response, "who gives a flying @#$%^&."

#18 Jeff Lebowski
October 06 2013, 04:57PM

Why black? Calgary's original colours never had black. The retro jerseys are hands down the best uni's.

Stick to the original colours! I could say the same for Team Canada too. Where is the black in our flag?!?

People added black for some unknown reason and now it's stuck. It's my opinion only but I prefer traditional colours.

Minimalist design too.

The Flaming C should only be red or white.

#19 aloudoun
October 06 2013, 09:05PM

I think its a hoax or fake. The graphics from the in game jersey look freakin terrible...

At least thats what I tell myself at night so I don't have nightmares from "franken jersey".

#20 BJ
October 06 2013, 09:50PM

the retro is the best... they should be wearing that every night anyways

#21 Baalzamon
October 06 2013, 11:29AM

Ugh. I like the colours, the simple striping, and the complete and utter lack of shoulder flags, but that logo is tremendously underwhelming.

#22 PutItInTheWinColumn
October 06 2013, 12:18PM

I agree that the logo is underwhelming. The striping is nice though, much better than the vertical handbag striping on the current home/away jerseys. The socks are decent as well. My biggest issue is that it looks like they will be using the current pants for this jersey. The striping doesn't match, and it makes the entire ensemble look pretty bad. If the rumours of the retros being retired are true, this is quite a travesty. What are they thinking?!?

#23 MichaelD
October 06 2013, 10:16AM

If this is it, I kind of like it.

Simple and not overly complicated, and also doesn't look like they are copy anyone. And the 'Calgary' writing looks silk

#24 coachedpotatoe
October 06 2013, 12:02PM

Just another way to make money, some will love others will hate it but all the Flames care about is how many will buy it. As much as I love my team and my other sports I don't really need one.

#25 The Last Big Bear
October 06 2013, 09:25PM

Glad they just went out and threw a 'Calgary' word-mark on the New Jersey Devil's home jersey.

I guess looking just like another team from the same league isn't a problem.

#26 ed wailin'
October 06 2013, 11:42PM

Super disappointing... the options are endless with our flames/fire theme... and this is what they came up with! it looks like the stampeders jersey. Personally I think they should market towards the younger generation, we need something to be excited about and this definitely doesn't do it. It'd be nice to see a lil creativity, and not the same old played out cowboy aesthetic.

#27 McRib
October 09 2013, 11:36AM

@nw26

This one in particular (non-vintage white version) knocks it out of the park.

#28 McRib
October 09 2013, 11:41AM

@Jeff Lebowski

Oh, I know I didn't mind the Team Canada Jersey until kids came out wearing Black Helmets, Gloves, Pants and a black stripe on the socks.... For Jerseys that have zero black in them... Canada better Win!!! Calgary's gotta retire Black from the colour scheme Ottawa/New Jersey are Red & Black we are Red & Yellow!!!

#29 Craig
October 06 2013, 10:41AM

Is the CALGARY font supposed to look like the way the stampede is often written?

#30 Baalzamon
October 06 2013, 02:13PM

@loudogYYC

Or maybe it's a hoax perpetrated by some computer-saavy yahoo.

#31 Colin
October 06 2013, 03:24PM

I like the colouring and general design of the jersey, but I hate seeing Calgary on the jersey. It doesn't look right, it makes me think the team is the Calgary Flaming C's. Like when you look at Dallas's jerseys that have Dallas in big lettering on it, they have the Star right below it, Dallas Stars, easy to connect the dots. This Flames jersey is a flaming hot mess on the other hand.

I'd like them to take another stab at a Flaming horse to be honest.

#32 Bruce veloor
October 06 2013, 04:00PM

This is all math and science, bravado & sexuality people,

Calgary is not an avante guarde metropolitan mecca, and in the likely scenario that you forget who you are playing, they seek to remind you of their city name.

Dissimilarly, Vancouver announces their city name on their jerseys because their corporate advertising on the crest is reminding you where the orca bay head offices are.

Both really make perfect sense. But uniquely, with a brand concept linked to the gay community (the flames), You'd think they could be more respectful and not look so out of fashion.

_BV

#33 ianberg1
October 07 2013, 05:47PM

Third jerseys are just money grabs & I refuse to buy any of them. That said, I like the Canada & Alberta flags in the shoulders and have an idea for a truly daring Calgary Flames third jersey. It would be blue with the Alberta coat of arms on the chest: ie. it would be the flag of Alberta. And on the right shoulder I'd put a small red flaming C and on the left shoulder, a generic oil drop.