FLames acquire Lane MacDermid AKA: Tim Jackman

November 22 2013 11:19AM

NHL Hockey: Sep 27 Oilers vs Stars

- pic via OKC Barons

Flames announced another minor trade today. This time they pick up 24-year old tough guy Lane MacDermid from Dallas in exchange for Calgary's 6th round pick. MacDermid was a 4th round pick of the Bruins back in 2009. His career high in terms of points as a pro is 19. He also regularly hits triple digits in the PIM column.

Which means the Flames essentially swapped old Tim Jackman for a younger version of Tim Jackman. There's at least a small chance MacDermid will develop into a functional 4th line mucker type (as Tim was in his younger days), but it's also possible he'll merely top out as an AHL-level enforcer (a la PL3).

I continue to be surprised that NHL GM's make these sorts of deals. Replacement level tough guys are freely available. They litter the minor leagues and they hit the waiver wire throughout the season...in fact, MacDermid was on waivers himself a few days ago. Calgary probably waited to trade for him so they would have more flexibility now that he's cleared waivers (ie; they can send him down to Abbotsford now)...but the whole thing seems like a waste of effort to me.

Oh well.

#51 Lober
November 22 2013, 05:20PM

Wow...... per Dreger "4 or 5 teams have kicked tires on Calgary's Mikael Backlund. Flames willing to move him." Plzzzzzzzz don't trade Backs

#52 Blahblahblah
November 22 2013, 05:20PM

How dare they fill a lost body on the Heat with a player the Heat are lacking. I bet this sinks them to epic proportions and ruins all the prospects so the Flames rebuild is never ending. They could have gotten a franchise player like Detroit did with that pick.

Twitter: Flames make a player transaction for a player no one knows offhand and/or his stats aren't perfect.

Blogger: Waste of my time to have to write an article actually discussing player or thinking about how he fits within the organization. Better just rhetoric this one.

Readers: oh my god blogger is right. Stupid flames. We had better all over react and keep up the Gritchart/Burke jokes. Pass judgement before he even plays a game and turn discussion into an off topic pissing match while proclaiming higher intelligence.

Yeesh. All over a 6th rounder and a contract spot.

#53 coachedpotatoe
November 22 2013, 05:32PM

Neither trade really matters in many ways. We get younger so what, if he can't play a regular shift. kill penalties or play on the PP he's just another face puncher which I don't really care about. If he can play a regular shift and PK (like Bouma does) then he is an improvement.

What I would have liked to have seen is something like this tonight and for about 5 games: Killer B line; Bouma, Backs,Sven Old Tires/lots of tread left Cammi,Staj,Stemp Watch me line: BJ,Monahan, Hudler traded for line: TJG,Colburne,DJ yes I would scratch the McG and then roll them playing each about 12 miuutes and splitting the PP time between Oldtires and the watch me line. I say give BJ a real cahnce as he has been hot in the AHL. Backs, Bouma, TLG, Colborne, Staj and Stemp get extra minutes on the PK.

On the D I guess what they are playing will have to do.

I get why Hartley like Berra (he watched him enough in the Swiss league to believe in him) but I would like to see Ramo get about 4 starts in a row to get a better understanding of his game.

#54 Jeff In Lethbridge
November 22 2013, 05:45PM
Lober wrote:

I'm betting he ends up in Toronto - first of all cause GM's, er, hockey ops presidents always go after waters they are familiar with and secondly, they want to shop Gardiner, and thirdly, they was to get rd of liles salary. I'd say throw in a first from toronto to sweeten the pot and it's done

#55 Colin.S
November 22 2013, 05:49PM
Blahblahblah wrote:

Yeesh. All over a 6th rounder and a contract spot.

How are the heat lacking a player of face punching caliber like MacDermid? They are currently 1st in the ENTIRE AHL without having that dedicated goon player/face puncher. If anything they need another point getter to replace the points that just got shipped to the NHL in Blair Jones.

This trade is terrible and the Flames and anyone who is defending this trade should feel bad for defending it.

And now of course I got tons of trashes yesterday for saying that the Jones recall was the first step in the trading of Backlund, and guess what:

Now Dreger confirms that they are SHOPPING him, that means they are trying to trade him, not even that teams are just calling for him, but we want to move him out. Awesome, move out all the skill players and acquire all the face punchers, man I wonder how that's gonna turn out.....

#56 Primo
November 22 2013, 05:57PM
Colin.S wrote:

Your comments are suspect at best...McDermid is far from being a goon. He is a big young kid who provides energy on the 4th line. He has toughness and will bring some grit to the Flames.

As for Backlund,..its old news what Dreger is reporting. You and Dreger are last to find out that Backlund has been out of favour for quite some time.

#58 Colin.S
November 22 2013, 06:23PM
Primo wrote:

Have you even looked at this kids stats??? No more than 24 points EVER in a season in any league save for what appears to be some sort of midget league or something. But in all those season he's managed to rack up some impressive penalty minutes. He managed to get 190 in a single season in the OHL and almost managed to break 200 the next year between two different teams. He probably would have had close to 160 or 170 PIMs in the AHL last year had he played a full season.

The kid is the definition of a goon. An "energy" guy will at least get some points with his goonery. If you want to look at what an "energy" type guy is, Prust is the answer, he had TONS of PIMs, but that guy could actually score as well.

#59 Veggie Dog
November 22 2013, 06:29PM

Yes...you are transcendent intellect for pointing these things out.

the door is that-a-way. Please see yourself out.

I agree, surprising you got trashed for saying it.

#60 ?
November 22 2013, 07:25PM

@Blahblahblah

It gets boring while all we say is "well let's just give 'em a chance"

Thats how the Oilers got in their position. They kept giving Tambellini and Lowe chances.

I'd rather analyze every one of Feaster's moves and protest the ones I dont like while heralding the ones I do.

Plus, I live in Canada (like most ppl commenting on this site). We live and breathe hockey. Bitching and moaning about it is just one of the things Canadians do, we're just that passionate.

#61 ?
November 22 2013, 07:27PM
Primo wrote:

Forget the grit, I want guys who can play hockey. If he can do that, glad to have him. If all he adds is toughness, than I dont see why they even bothered trading Jackman.

#62 Colin.S
November 22 2013, 10:25PM
? wrote:

It gets boring while all we say is "well let's just give 'em a chance"

I gotta agree with this comment here, if we just keep accepting these mediocre moves we end up in Oilers territory. Especially when people actually believe these moves will help the lineup/team in any sort of measure.

#63 Walter White
November 22 2013, 10:51PM

A 24 year old goon for a 34 year old goon seems like a good trade for me..... WW

#64 gussey
November 22 2013, 11:12PM

@Blahblahblah

This was exactly my thoughts. I couldn't be more bored of grit chart jokes or over reaction to acquiring tough hockey players.