Flames Hurting: Three to IR, Two Recalled

Ryan Pike
November 28 2013 11:40AM

The Calgary Flames may officially be in injury trouble, as the team made a lot of moves related to injuries in the last 24 hours.

• Forward T.J. Galiardi was placed on injured reserve (retroactive to November 25) with back spasms.
  • Forward Max Reinhart was recalled from Abbotsford (AHL) to take Galiardi's roster spot.
  • Defenseman Dennis Wideman was placed on injured reserve with a fractured hand.
  • Forward Sean Monahan was placed on injured reserve with a hairline fracture in his foot.
  • Forward Paul Byron was recalled from Abbotsford (AHL) to take Monahan's roster spot.

Wideman blocked a shot off his hand during last night's game with Chicago and was worked-on on the bench for awhile in the third period, but outside of that he played through it. It's unclear when Monahan was hurt during the game, but like Wideman it must've been while blocking a shot. The Twitter feed of Roger Millions exploded a few days ago when Monahan seemed to be hurt by blocking a shot in practice, but the rookie returned to practice after walking it off and didn't miss any games subsequently.

UPDATE: Pat Steinberg is reporting that the practice shot-block is indeed when Monahan was injured. (He's also reporting that Wideman will have surgery on his broken hand.)

After all these moves, the Flames sit at 22 healthy bodies on their roster. The breakdown's like so:

• 13 forwards (Sven Baertschi, Mikael Backlund, Lance Bouma, Paul Byron, Mike Cammalleri, Joe Colborne, Jiri Hudler, Blair Jones, David Jones, Brian McGrattan, Max Reinhart, Matt Stajan and Lee Stempniak)
  • 7 defensemen (Chris Breen, T.J. Brodie, Chris Butler, Shane O'Brien, Kris Russell, Ladislav Smid and Derek Smith)
  • 2 goalies (Reto Berra and Karri Ramo)

With Mark Giordano already out with a broken ankle, Wideman's injury couldn't come at the worst time with games against Anaheim and Los Angeles on the docket this weekend. Now, with two of Calgary's most reliable minute-munchers out for awhile, expect the new top pairing of T.J. Brodie and Kris Russell to get thrown to the wolves and the team to lean on Chris Butler and Ladislav Smid even more than they have.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
#1 Baalzamon
November 28 2013, 11:52AM

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. What will it take for the Flames to call up Corban Knight?

#2 Bean-counting cowboy
November 28 2013, 11:49AM

Too bad for Monahan, Wideman and the Flames in general.

Hopefully management doesn't do anything rash on the trade front to try and upgrade these areas. Let the kids play.

If Backlund doesn't start getting more minutes and Hartley uses the call ups more than him I will absolutely lose my mind.

#4 alkali
November 28 2013, 12:11PM

Hopefully, Backlund gets a chance to show his worth, and we will see if Breen belongs in the NHL.

#5 Bean-counting cowboy
November 28 2013, 01:25PM

At least all the UFA's are still healthy! Stajan, Cammy & Stempniak - go get some points.

#6 Walter White
November 28 2013, 11:52AM

Our top 3 pick is in sight!!!!

WW

#7 Jeff In Lethbridge
November 28 2013, 02:23PM

Monahan - - I still believe Monahan will remain in strong contention for the Calder.

I for one do not want to see him go to the world jrs, but rather see him stay and win the Calder... which he will earn, and deserves.

Backlund - - Looks like Backis might get his chance for redemption. He sure is well liked around these parts, by fans at least. wonder if he knows this.

Slipping in the standings - - So what? I'd rather have these guys playing the way they are, getting their chances and learning their lessons, and finish 28-30, then to have the coaches squeak every win out, at the expense of development, so we can finish 23rd.

Paul Byron. Paul Byron? is he still around? I'd prefer to see someone new.

Rebuild, full steam ahead!!!!!

November 28 2013, 01:18PM

@Parallex

Flames are entering bottom-5 company at this point.

#9 Taylor McKee
November 28 2013, 11:56AM

Ouch. Worst part of this is now SOB and Breen will be filling in the gaps on the back end. Dark times lay ahead methinks.

#10 everton fc
November 28 2013, 01:49PM
loudogYYC wrote:

Maybe a good time to take an overpriced defenseman off Carolina's hands? Tim Gleason could be had nice and cheap I'm sure.

Gleason's out. "Lower body injury". Out a week.

I'd like to see what Knight and Ferland can do.

#11 Burnward
November 28 2013, 10:39PM

Well Mickis...that spot with Hudler and Baertschi should be yours to run with now.

For the love of god, take it with both hands and own it. We all want to see this so badly.

Let's settle this once and for all so we can stop talking about it.

November 28 2013, 02:32PM
everton fc wrote:

Gleason's out. "Lower body injury". Out a week.

I'd like to see what Knight and Ferland can do.

Knight I agree with. Ferland, however, I think should stay in the AHL the entire season. This is the first pro season he's had where he's been somewhat successful, and I don't think it would be good for him to get dropped so suddenly into the big league.

#13 Jay
November 28 2013, 01:49PM

turns out smid is the key to securing our own first overall, he's bringing the bad karma south...

#14 coachedpotatoe
November 28 2013, 05:13PM

I see a number of people complaining about Byron being called up and asking why not Knight. Personally I'm okay with Byron being called as this might be his last look with the Flames. Last year when he was called up he got injured. In many ways he is well suited for the style Hartley preaches, he fast and a very good skater. He also has been producing well and playing a lot for the Heat. Why him over Knight? Knight has not been as productive the last couple of weeks as Byron. I think it is a wise move to see if Byron can play at the NHL level give him 5-10 games. An interesting line would be him, rhino and Bjones. They would make an ideal forth line; they may have even played together for the Heat but I'm not sure.

Breen also needs to play and he needs 5-10 games to evaluate him,we need to know if he can play and one or two games here and there does not work, Also don't rush Gio back because of the injury, make sure he is healthy.

#15 JaromeTakesSlapShots
November 28 2013, 02:51PM

As much as it sucks to see Monahan go down... Lets go Backlund! Prove Hartley wrong!

#16 Kypreos
November 28 2013, 10:43PM
Jay wrote:

Yah and they have been trying like hell to scrub the stink of Edmonton off of him....

#17 Kevin R
November 28 2013, 12:42PM
RKD wrote:

TSN is reporting Monahan is listed as week to week, but Wideman is expected to be out 6-8 weeks!

F%@k F@*K F@*K F@*K F@*K F@*K

#18 Kevin R
November 28 2013, 02:45PM
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

Paul Byron. Paul Byron? is he still around? I'd prefer to see someone new.

Rebuild, full steam ahead!!!!!

That's the thing, people are talking how Sven is getting the press box for missing the open net & for that terrible icing & then clearing attempt when the game is on the line. Well, I think they will learn more from these type of mistakes when games are on the line. To be at the point of having the Stanley Cup champs on the ropes & then losing it late in the 3rd couldn't have been a better learning scenario. A mistake like that when you are losing 6-1 doesn't have the sinking feeling like the way it did last night. The reason why it's important that they are expected & coached to win. Wasn't it a few years ago Hall was disgusted with a coaching decision late in a game & showed his frustration on the ice & bench. Different expectations even though it may be the same place in the standings.

#19 Parallex
November 28 2013, 03:17PM
SmellOfVictory wrote:

We don't have a center spot available to call Knight up for... I'd rather he play full minutes in the AHL then get slotted in for 5 a night on the big squad and the only way he'd get more is if one of Stajan/Colborne/Backlund get's put on the 4th and I'd rather that not happen either.

#20 Carlizzle
November 28 2013, 03:56PM

Another Blackhawks cheap shot undetected. The crosscheck across Wideman's wrist, I believe by Kane. Why has Byron been called up, when Knight is producing?

#21 BJ
November 28 2013, 12:55PM

Unfortunate injuries and sucks for the guys (although the money they make more than makes up for it) but this is what we want as fans isn't it. To see the team play hard yet still lose out...

Backs should be back up on the 2nd line...

I say as long as they are not bad injuries keep them coming... I would love to watch some Abbotsford Heat games...

#22 Byron Bader
November 28 2013, 03:21PM

December is going to be a rough month. Probably January too. At least Paul Byron has a splendid last name. That's all I got. That's all the positives on this day of terrible.

#23 clyde
November 28 2013, 08:27PM

With all these injuries, suspect goaltending and the coming trades of our veterans, I see us in the bottom 3 easily. I do think the team will still work hard and compete but just doesn't have the depth.

#24 loudogYYC
November 28 2013, 12:30PM

#25 Kevin R
November 28 2013, 01:51PM
suba steve wrote:

Kevin?

You were all like...Mr Tranquility in the last post that I read from you, accepting of the rebuild and it's pitfalls. I do hear/understand your frustration though.

This is an opportunity...to fall a few more places in the standings. I say, Bring it.

Yeah yeah I know. I kinda wanted my cake & eat it too. The thought was, get that top 5 pick & have Mona Money win the Calder. Now that would be sweet. I'm with you. I looked at our schedule & whoooboy I don't see too many points in December for us.

#26 everton fc
November 28 2013, 03:44PM
Parallex wrote:

True. Reinhart/Bouma/B. Jones can all fill the 4th line centre role. As can Byron.

I know Ferland's not ready. But to give him a look is all I was talking about. I'm actually interested in who we'll see come up from the farm.

#27 John
November 28 2013, 10:02PM

I said at the beginning of the season, barring significant injuries that Calgary would finish ahead of Edmonton. Apparently the hockey gods appreciate irony. Well, officially with Monahan and Wideman out, welcome to Suckdom Calgary.

November 28 2013, 12:58PM

That's really unfortunate. The Wideman injury was expected after seeing the way he looked in the game, though.

#29 suba steve
November 28 2013, 01:02PM

@Kevin R

Kevin?

#30 Parallex
November 28 2013, 01:48PM

Flames are entering bottom-5 company at this point.

Yeah... that's what I meant. I was picking them for 5-6 worst before... now it's looking more like 2-3ish (cause... y'know the Sabres).

I imagine the good news is that Hartley will almost have to play Backlund more now... I wonder if he'll give Monahan's PP minutes to Backlund or Stajan and who's going to eat the cooresponding PK minutes they lose? Really would have been nice if the Flames had picked up Klesla.

#31 Carlizzle
November 28 2013, 05:01PM

Was Klesla not worth picking up off waivers?

#32 RKD
November 28 2013, 11:56AM

#33 JayD
November 28 2013, 12:18PM
Taylor McKee wrote:

I understand that the club can carry 23 on the 'active' roster, and that recent practice has seen them carry 8 defencemen.

I would like to see what a couple of other defenders now in Abbotsford can do with NHL competition. Did not think Chad Billins looked too out of place. And what about Wotherspoon or Ramage? Acknowledge that both O'Brien and Breen would have to go through the waiver process to be sent down.

#34 Parallex
November 28 2013, 01:04PM

Okey... now revising my projected finish for the Flames downward. Maybe not Reinhart or Ekblad territory but we're looking at the best of the rest territory.

Has anyone seen Sam Bennett play? I haven't and he's pretty high on a lot of reports/mocks now.

#35 Kmp
November 28 2013, 08:47PM
Carlizzle wrote:

Was Klesla not worth picking up off waivers?

I don't get passing on Klesla either, he's better concussed than what's left after Brodie and Russell. Contract expires at the end of the year and is reasonable.

#36 Kurt
November 28 2013, 10:15PM
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

Paul Byron. Paul Byron? is he still around? I'd prefer to see someone new.

Rebuild, full steam ahead!!!!!

I'd love to see a Flame win the Calder, but realistically he'll have to pick it up BIG time.... Not because he doesn't deserve it but because of the US/big-market/sport writer bias with the selection process.

Nugent Hopkins missed 20 games with an injury (25% of the season), STILL won the rookie scoring title, but lost out to Landeskog in votes. US writers just don't care about or watch the small Canadian markets, especially terrible teams rebuilding.

Unfortunately I don't think he has a shot unless he crushes the scoring race. Even then, I could see the US writers give it to Seth Jones.

#37 Carlizzle
November 28 2013, 11:10PM
Carlizzle wrote:

My bad. Wideman blocked a shot from the point. I thought that when I saw Versteeg in the area that he did the skate by slash.