FGD: The Returnening!

bookofloob
December 10 2013 10:09AM

That video tribute to Jarome Iginla is brilliant. If you've got half an hour to kill, this is a million times better than that episode of the Big Bang Theory you were planning to watch, so do yourself a favour and peep this instead, Citizens. Big ups to Anthony Cook, who is quite a terrific media distributor for Flames fans wanting Flames goodness, for compiling this tome.

It, literally, figuratively, and metaphorically, is TIME. Tonight is the night. This game has been marked down on the calendar of every Flames fan since they released the schedule and assuming any Flames fan still uses an actual calendar and not the much, much better Google version on their phone.

Your Calgary Flames sit 6th in the Pacific Division, ahead of only the woefully hilarious Edmonton Oilers, and do not look poised to be fighting for a playoff spot. The foe tonight: The Boston Bruins, a ferocious pack of Bear-Man hockey players with aspirations of Stanley, an Eastern Conference anxiety that presents itself but twice this season. Optically, this game could not be more meaningless. But for Flames fans, this is a game that we all know we'll never forget, no matter what happens. Why is this, of all games, such a big deal?

Because the King is back, baby. Big Daddy Jarome is chillin' in the Dome!

The Iginla-less Flames

Ben Hanowski - 1st NHL Game

(Get it? Because an Iginla-less Flames means Ben Hanowski. UGH. Pic courtesy of 5of7)

Before we press on, I want to talk about that tribute video again: is it me, or did Jarome pot just A TON of goals against the San Jose Sharks? No wonder the Los Angeles Kings were one of the teams on his list he'd be cool to get traded to, he'd score 30 goals against the Sharks per season.

Anyway, here's how the less than overwhelming lineup stacks up courtesy, as always, from our pals over at Daily Faceoff. (These are, of course, subject to change, and probably will given how early in the day it is)

• Cammalleri - Stajan - Stempniak
  • Bouma - Backlund - D. Jones
  • Baertschi - Colborne - Hudler
  • B. Jones - Byron - McGrattan
  • Butler - Giordano
  • Russell - Brodie
  • Smid - O'Brien
  • Berra

Hey, maybe I should actually focus on the current Flames a little bit, yes? Roger the Million Dollar Man reported yesterday that T.J. Galiardi, should he be needed, could be good to go tonight against the Bruins. As of press time (let's pretend an FGD is press time), he hadn't been inserted into the lineup yet, but man, if he was, this team looks one step closer to a real NHL lineup.

Of course, if that means taking Blair Jones out of the lineup, who has been spectacular since being recalled, then Hartley is doing it wrong, which he is prone to do. Paul Byron seems most likely to be the odd man out seeing as he only gets 4 minutes a game anyway and is mostly just mediocre, and because we all know that even though it should be Brian McGrattan riding pine in this one, it's never Brian McGrattan riding pine, because it's 2013 and somehow we still believe enforcers police the game. Also Byron is a center, and Galiardi is a winger, but that's fixable (hello Lance Bouma), so let's make that happen.

Curtis Glencross and Svean Monahan also skated yesterday, but neither are TOO close to returning yet, but are at least a little bit close. The forward lines are so close to being NHL calibre guys. So close.

Giordano once again gets Butler duty, which cannot be fun.

Reto Berra, you know what, I thought he was really good against the Oilers (which, aren't we all?), and I'm fine with him starting tonight based on that, but boy, he had better bring the goods today, because the Boston Bruins sure as Schuster ain't the Edmonton Oilers.

You guys know how much I hate Reto Berra. I'm saying a lot of nice things here and I'm afraid.

Jarome Iginla, of the Boston Iginlas

Bruins Acquire Iginla

Daily Faceoff has you covered on this one as well, but who gives even the teensiest of shits about the rest of the Bruins lineup? It's Jarome Iginla man!

/faints

Damn it fine, here's their lineup:

• Lucic - Krejci - IGINLA
  • Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
  • Soderberg - Spooner - Fraser
  • Paille - Campbell - Caron
  • Chara - Hamilton
  • Seidenberg - Krug
  • Bartkowski - Miller
  • Rask

DO YOU FEEL BETTER NOW LOOKING AT THAT?

Okay, well, looking at the Bruins with a broader brush, they are a pretty great team, but they are in the spotlight right now for all the wrong reasons. Everyone by now knows what happened with Shawn Thornton and Brooks Orpik, and while we're still waiting for word on how many games Thornton is going to get, it's safe to say the world is talking about the Bruins for the wrong reasons.

Presumably, they'd like to change that, so I'd be pretty nervous about the Bruins playing like the Bruins. There's a lot of firepower on that team, from Patrice Bergeron, to David Krejci, to yeah, Jarome Iginla. Damn it why does that guy have to be so cool?

Zdeno Chara is a minotaur. I don't think too many guys will be dangling around him, and the rest of the defense is doing a pretty good job of keeping pretty good goalie Tuukka Rask, now the world's most inappropriately voweled goaltender since Kipper retired, from seeing too much rubber, and he's looking good for them as a result.

As I was watching that video at the top again, it dawned on me that it could have been possible for Iginla and Marc Savard to be playing on the same line this year, but cruel fate and a Matt Cooke blindside prevented that dream. Those two, albeit briefly, were magic on a line together in younger days.

Playoff Implications

2004 was a fun year, wasn't it?

Players to Watch

Chris Breen, maybe, and probably Paul Byr....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Look man, I'm a Flames fan above all else in this world, like I really have nothing else, and I hope beyond hope that the Flames win this game...but I can't think about anything more than Iggy in this one. It's why I'm going to the game. It's why I paid $60 for a seat that's basically touching Jupiter in the Saddledome nosebleeds. So maybe for one night it's not important how out of place David Jones looks. We can bitch about that on Thursday, because nobody cares about the Carolina Hurricanes.

Obligatory posting of Iggy's Full Name

It's Jarome (not Jerome!!!) Arthur-Leigh AdekunleTig Junior Elvis Iginla. He's so cool he gets an Elvis buried in his name, man.

And In The End

There should be a pretty nice little ceremony for Jarome before this game begins, and I think he'll get a pretty splendid reaction from the crowd. Like I said, I'll be at the game, and anyone sitting near me that isn't showing due respect will be getting flicked on the knuckle by me when you're not looking. But it should be pretty nice. Emotions might get the better of us to the point that our tears flood the first 8 rows of the Saddledome again.

Beyond all that, let's just hope for a good game, because there's not much on the line. I'm trying to start doing thiss thing where I take a player who at any point in franchise history has suited up for both teams in the game and naming the game in their honour (last game against the Oilers was the Brathwaite Cup, as an example). Today's game, under other circumstances, would have been dubbed the Reggie Lemelin Invitational, but obviously this is different. This is, without question, the Iginla bowl (with an assist to former Providence Bruin Lane McDermid, who gets less credit in this one because he's not playing and is also useless)

Oh, and you know what, Go Flames! A win is still a win, am I right?

The Iginla Bowl takes place at 7:30, but you already knew that. You've been ready for this since last March when Iginla played his last game in Flames silks. See you there! Here now, once again, is the Iggy Dance.

01f20cee6c900dc633fe87a421630f41
The Book of Loob is the Nation's resident expert in flim-flammery and twaddle. An unabashed Flames fan, when BoL is not intellectually bankrupting Flames Nation, he can be seen rooting for Blair Jones, often to excess, at Book of Loob. Follow him on twitter here.
#1 RexLibris
December 10 2013, 10:05PM
Clyde wrote:

Berra is just not an nhl goalie

Berra is the starting goalie for the Calgary Flames.

Ergo, the Calgary Flames are not an NHL team.

;) j/k couldn't resist the logic.

#2 RexLibris
December 10 2013, 08:41PM
Burnward wrote:

Those metrics bear no resemblance to what was actually on the ice in the first period.

Granted, I'm not watching the game, but I think the stats bear mentioning.

#3 Clyde
December 10 2013, 10:01PM

Berra is just not an nhl goalie

#4 Byron Bader
December 10 2013, 11:04AM

That video is brilliant. Good lord am I excited for this game tonight. Might get to the dome for 5pm to get comfy in my seat and await the magic.

#5 FlamesRule
December 10 2013, 11:07AM

GDP - Iggy gets the Gordie Howe hat trick (gives Bouma a little schooling) but Flames grind it out and win it 3-2 in OT...game of the year (2013) for the Flames!

#6 Sean_e16@hotmail.com
December 10 2013, 11:56AM

Who would love to see one game where our lineup is:

Cammalleri-Stajan-Stempniak

Glencross-Backlund-Jones

Baertschi-Monahan-Hudler

Bouma-Colborne-Galiardi/B.Jones

Brodie-Russell

Gio-Smid

Billins-Wideman

#8 Bikeit
December 10 2013, 12:34PM

I still have fits over 2004 Game 6 of the Stanley cup. The cup was that close. This guy should have won it then and his flames legacy would be complete.

You see how excited everyone gets for this game and see why it took the Flames so long to let hime go.

#9 mattyc
December 10 2013, 08:47PM

@RexLibris

I appreciate(d) the fenwick update.

#10 prendrefeu
December 10 2013, 10:11PM

Man I hope Boston wins the cup. Normally I wouldn't want Boston to win anything, ever, but this year I'm praying for Iginla to hold up Lord Stanley's Cup for one lap around the rink.

#11 jeremywilhelm
December 10 2013, 10:30PM

Berra, I HATE YOU!

But not as much as Fartley.

#12 ?
December 10 2013, 11:30AM

Man, that Iggy goal in the Finals, the breakaway against Khabibulin, has to be one of my favourite Iginla goals.

Please Boston, win the Cup this year. This is the one guy in the NHL that I want to see win a Cup more than any other.

#13 mk
December 10 2013, 11:32AM

I can't believe I'm actively cheering for the Bruins to win this year, but I am.

That tribute should be played every time someone is interviewed for the GM position in Calgary. Then ask the question - how did the Flames not win more with this superstar on the ice (not to mention Kipper)?

#14 danglesnipecelly
December 10 2013, 12:26PM

Wow that tribute was dynamite... can't believe I watched the whole thing, got a little teary eyed a few times! Favourite highlight is one I've never seen before. After the hit on Chicago he says "you like that?" haha awesome!!

Can't wait for the game tonight - going to be really special.

#15 RKD
December 10 2013, 01:23PM

Awesome, Jarome is back in Calgary. I do hope he gets to win a Cup. He is truly deserving, the video tribute will be awesome and he will be given a big ovation.

#16 Christian Roatis
December 10 2013, 02:56PM

It'll be emotional but I doubt it tops Blake Comeau's return to the Dome.

#17 exsanguinator
December 10 2013, 09:16PM

Just checked into the game, I was busy earlier, WHY THE F*** ISN'T RAMO PLAYING?

#18 RexLibris
December 10 2013, 09:18PM

Better period. Things are leveling out.

Flames chances were 26 to Bruins 27, Fenwick was 22 to 21.

#19 schevvy
December 10 2013, 10:51AM

This is going to be a fun and emotional game.

#20 EddyBeers
December 10 2013, 11:23AM

And that's why we all loved this guy. Great tribute. Going to the game tonight. I can't wait, its going to be awesome!

#21 NHL93
December 10 2013, 11:35AM

Goose-bumps watching that video. Sometimes I forget that between 2000 and 2006 we had one of the very best in the league. Force. Of. Nature.

#22 Lober
December 10 2013, 11:54AM

I hope Iggy scores 10 goals I don't care about winning this game

#23 Kevin R
December 10 2013, 11:58AM
? wrote:

I am right with you Bro! Cant wait for the game tonight. Iggy was a beast back then & watching that video just kind of depressed me thinking that freaking Sutter didn't surround this man with more so we could have won at least 2 Cups in his prime. It also made me feel better about the fact that he is a world class support player now & the role he has now with that incredible Bruin team fits him to a T. So many guys to carry the heavy lifting & that's without Erickson & Thornton. I so hope he wins a Cup with Boston this year.

#24 suba steve
December 10 2013, 12:00PM

@Sean_e16@hotmail.com

Sure lets see that linup in game 82, once we have clinches 30th place.

#25 SeanCharles
December 10 2013, 12:03PM
suba steve wrote:

Sure lets see that linup in game 82, once we have clinches 30th place.

So no one gets moved at the deadline? haha

#26 schevvy
December 10 2013, 12:20PM

I most definitely just watched that half-hour tribute and it was awesome

#27 Ruhee
December 10 2013, 02:56PM

I am not sure if I have the emotional capability to watch that half-hour tribute yet. Or like, ever.

I hope Iggy gets a hat trick and everyone cries the end.

#28 Bean-counting cowboy
December 10 2013, 04:04PM

Although he was past due to be traded from Calgary, this guy took me from being a casual hockey fan to a passionate hockey fan during the 2002 Olympics.

So impressed was I with him, I became a Flames fan that same year and was cemented a hardcore Flames fan during the 04 cup run.

Thanks Iggy!

#29 negrilcowboy
December 10 2013, 05:53PM

would be great to have live chat for igglatowski's return. fond memories

#30 Ryan Pike
December 10 2013, 07:36PM

TSN filling time by bitching about PHWA balloting from over a decade ago.

#31 yomamen11
December 10 2013, 07:46PM

Wow

#32 Burnward
December 10 2013, 07:46PM

Must be dusty in here tonight.

#33 Burnward
December 10 2013, 07:49PM

Feels like a playoff game, I'm fired up.

#34 JumpJet
December 10 2013, 08:24PM

A bit of talk about Matt Bartkowski being part of the trade that almost sent Iggy to Boston instead of Pittsburg. I believe the other parts of that deal were Alexander Khokhlachev and a 1st round pick. The Bruins eventually included their 1st in the Seguin trade and the Stars ended up drafting Guelph Storm centerman Jason Dickinson one spot after the Flames took Morgan Klimchuk with the Pittsburg pick. Assuming the Flames also took Dickinson 29th overall, does that trade still look better than what the Flames got from the Penguins?

#35 RexLibris
December 10 2013, 08:54PM
mattyc wrote:

I appreciate(d) the fenwick update.

Page is here if you're interested. http://www.extraskater.com/game/2013-12-10-bruins-flames

About a two-to-four minute delay, but still useful information.

#36 Keith Fredlund
December 10 2013, 09:07PM

Someone should take Colbornes snickers bar away.

#37 TDM
December 10 2013, 09:24PM

Have to say, not a big fan of Mike Johnson on the TSN crew

#38 TDM
December 10 2013, 09:33PM

@RexLibris

Not much of a choice either way Rex, though Johnson or Ferraro choice would be an even worse choice to have to make

#39 RexLibris
December 10 2013, 09:36PM

@TDM

I have time for Ferraro. He's an ex-player who can actually bring something to the commentary.

#40 ChinookArch
December 10 2013, 10:03PM

The Bruins have owned the Flames in the 3rd period. The Flames were great for through 2, but weren't able to pot any more than 1 goal. Here's hoping for a late one!

#41 ChinookArch
December 10 2013, 10:04PM
Clyde wrote:

Berra is just not an nhl goalie

Yup, now it would be nice to find out if Ramo is.

#42 RexLibris
December 10 2013, 10:15PM

@ChinookArch

All fair.

=)

#43 Captain Ron
December 10 2013, 12:50PM
Kevin R wrote:

Ditto Kevin!

#44 Tenbrucelees
December 10 2013, 04:17PM

Aw damn, Iggy man.

#45 Lober
December 10 2013, 05:03PM

Due to writing a final I can't watch the first half of the game. But it may be for the best because I probably would've cried seeing Iggy back in the a Dome. That 30 min tribute was just awesome so many great memories. Ever since I became a flames fan in 2003 at the age of 10 he was always my favourite player and I can't see myself ever liking a player more then Iginla.

#46 KelownaFlames
December 10 2013, 05:53PM

#ThankYouIggy

#47 flamesfan
December 10 2013, 06:56PM

quite a mancrush you have Mr. bookofloob

#48 ChinookArch
December 10 2013, 07:49PM

Pumped for this game to start!

#49 Burnward
December 10 2013, 08:01PM

The boys look fantastic so far.

#50 mattyc
December 10 2013, 08:17PM

Nice salute to Iggy. Great PP for us. Man Shane O'Brien is so bad with the puck - coughs it up so many times.