Breaking: Flames Fire Feaster & Weisbrod

Ryan Pike
December 12 2013 10:18AM

The Flames official Twitter account has announced that Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod have been relieved of their duties.

A press conference with real, actual details is coming up at 11am.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
#201 Jeff In Lethbridge
December 12 2013, 07:56PM

OILERS SUCK!!!!!!!!

#202 Andy7189
December 12 2013, 08:03PM

@redricardo

Apparently Kevin Lowe knows how to win as well.

Hmmm...

#203 redricardo
December 12 2013, 10:17PM

@Andy7189

My favourite part of the press conference, as I was waiting for the explanation, was how Burke kept giving legitimate reasons to fire someone, but then kept backing off that, and had it boil down to "I know how to win". Very KLowe-esque.

"We need someone who can nail the draft, we need a homerun... And Jay did that this year.

The hardestpart of a rebuild in TO was getting out from under the contracts... And Jay has left us in good shape there.

But I know how to win, so trust me... This change had to be made"

(These are actual (close) quotes from the press conference, not something I'm making up for humorous effect)

#204 EugeneV
December 13 2013, 12:47AM
Parallex wrote:

I'm not... more precisely I think that if he's given a choice between average sized and more talented or big and less talented he'll choose less talented.

I just pray that whomever is hired as GM isn't hired on his willingness to be a puppet and that Burke is humble (HA!) enough to let someone with a perspective other then his own into the room.

Who says size isn't a part of the talent equation.

#205 Jeff In Lethbridge
December 13 2013, 07:00AM

while theres a few thing I admire about Burke, overall Im not impressed.

He is going to hire a GM and who ever it is has to believe in big teams, but he doesnt have to think just like him. huh?

he can be a young GM that is mentored by an experienced guy. but he wont be a puppet. huh?

#206 Parallex
December 13 2013, 07:58AM
EugeneV wrote:

Who says size isn't a part of the talent equation.

Logic says that. Being big isn't a skill, being big isn't a talent.

#207 Parallex
December 13 2013, 08:15AM

@redricardo

That's one of the things I found confusing about the firing... even before Burke came on board Feaster was doing quite a few Burke type things, Example: Picking up college guys (Bozak/Hanson), grabbing Euro goalies to see if they work out (Gustavsson), Talking about wanting to get bigger (various interviews), besides the Jankowski pick (and even that resulted in getting a guy known for "truculance" in Sieloff) his drafting has been very good.

For the life of me I really don't see anything that Feaster's done since starting the rebuild that warrented his removal even just from the perspective of Burke's known proclivities.

#208 Jeff Lebowski
December 13 2013, 10:34AM

With time to digest, I've calmed a little bit. However, I am extremely concerned about the future direction of the rebuild. Feaster, for all his mistakes, restocked the talent pool - yes a drawback is the team got smaller - but Feaster recognized this.

I recall Feaster commenting on the prospects early in his tenure here. No one calls him about the big, truculent guys the Flames had an abundance of (the JD Watts etc).

He mentioned that if Calgary had good (read: skilled) young prospects they would've been up with the team. So he and Weisbrod in an incredibly short amount of time remade what was once a laughingstock, of prospect depth into one regarded as in the top 10 (by outside scouts). 2 freaking drafts, he did that.

Burke is driven by his massive ego. It seems to me he felt like he was hired to make his mark. He wasn't going to evaluate the team and conclude: all good here. Keep it up. Or we just need to emphasize size a little more but the preference for high IQ is a winner.

Nope. He had to prove why he was hired in the first place. Does anyone think he wasn't looking for reasons to rid the org of Feaster? Ego. He thought the first question to be asked was if he was taking job. Of course he did. Everything is about him. My teams this and I like that... Fool! His ego and it's detrimental consequences eventually do this prick in every time. He doesn't learn. Sounds like Kevin Lowe.

How far removed is this org from the debacle of the Sutter drafting and development philosophy? We're going back to that?!

IF Burke made the move because last regime was getting fleeced and/or certain due diligence requirements were over looked, I can live with that. If he recognizes the prospects improvement and adds size by replacing vets that's ok.

IF Burke wants to trade prospects and skill guys for useless meatheads then I'm going to put a voodoo hex on Burke.

If Burke returns CGY to Darryl like drafting/philosophy if he gives up on kids and tries to undo 'mistakes' he's going to set this org back YEARS.

Hopefully the methods Feaster/Weisbrod employed for drafting are preserved.