GDB 15.0: OILERS STARTING TO SCORE?

Jason Gregor
February 19 2013 01:11PM

Up until Saturday night the Edmonton Oiler franchise record for shots in a game was 55, against Minnesota on March 21st, 1986, but the young Oilers eclipsed that after firing 56 v. Colorado. The Oilers peppered Semyon Varlamov for 60 minutes, and despite falling behind 3-0 they kept attacking in waves as nine different players had at least four shots.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ended a 12-game goal scoring slump, Jordan Eberle ended an 8-game slump and both looked very relieved afterwards. Was it a one-game outburst or are the Oilers starting to find their way out of their offensive slumber?

It is too early to say, but confidence is a finicky thing and Nugent-Hopkins admitted that his goal had him in a different frame of mind today. The Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle/Taylor Hall trio had been generating loads of chances with little results, but a game like Saturday could easily ignite them. They are averaging 9.5 shots/game as a line, and it was only a matter of time before they scored.

The Oilers need to get on a winning streak before heading out on their 9-game road trip, and the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings are a team the Oilers need to beat.

For the 2nd straight season the Kings are struggling to score five-on-five. Last year the Kings were 29th in ES goals with only 118 in 82 games. They made the playoffs because they were 2nd in ES goals against, giving up only 121. Their offense caught fire in the playoffs and they cruised to their first Stanley Cup.

However, their offensive woes are back and once again they are 29th in ES goals for. The Oilers are 30th, but right now the Oilers have a better GAA than the Kings at 2.64 to 2.69.

The Oilers top players are producing. Hall and Gagner have 15 points in 14 games while Eberle has 11 and Ales Hemsky is tied for 13th in the NHL in goals with 7.

Mike Richards and Anze Kopitar lead the Kings with only nine points. It is very perplexing that a forward group consisting of Richards, Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Justin Williams and Drew Doughty on the backend can't produce more goals, but they are and the Oilers need to take advantage of that tonight.

ALL LINES GOING

Against Colorado all four lines were buzzing and creating chances. The Oilers attacked the entire game and they were able to spend way more time in the offensive zone.

LA's s size will make it more difficult to cycle the puck consistently, but the Oilers need to use their speed wisely against the bigger Kings.

Hall/RNH/Eberle
Hartikainen/Gagner/Hemsky
Yakupov/Belanger/Smyth
Paajarvi/Vande Velde/Eager

Smid/Petry
N.Schultz/J.Schultz
Fistric/Whitney

Khabibulin

Khabibulin has played very well in his two appearances, start in Detroit, off the bench v. Colorado, and he's earned another start. "He's given us a lot of energy with his play, but this is nothing to do with Devan's play," said Krueger. Dubnyk has had three bad luck goals the past two games, and he'll get the night off.

Lennart Petrell is still dizzy from taking a puck in the temple during warmup on Saturday and he'll sit out.

QUICK HITS

  • Colorado, Edmonton and Florida have only one D-man who has scored a goal. Tyson Barrie has one goal for the Avs while Brian Campbell and J.Schultz have four each. The Oilers aren't blessed with an abundance of goal scorers on their blueline, but they need some production from Petry, Whitney and Potter. Edm, Col and Flo also have zero ES goals from their blueliners.
     
  • Colorado has one goal, while the Oilers are tied 2nd fewest goals from the blueline with Florida, Boston, Minnesota, San Jose, New Jersey and the Islanders with four each.
     
  • The defencemen haven't scored one ES goal this year. "We have had too many shots blocked. We have worked on making a few little changes so they can get more shots through," said Krueger.
     
  • At the other end of the spectrum the Rangers and Capitals' blueline have zero goals on the PP. Mike Green has no PP goals for the Capitals, yet their PP is still 6th best at 25%.
     
  • The Oilers' PK isn't getting much attention, but it has been very good, allowing only nine goals on 68 chances, 4th best in the NHL at 86.6%. They are also tied for second with two shorthanded goals.
     
  • If the Oilers start scoring at ES, this team could become very competitive.
     
  • At 3 p.m. today on we will have a trivia contest for a pair of Oiler tickets to tonight's game. here. First correct answer wins. Also LIKE the page.
     
  • Will the Oilers go the way of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks, or will they be like Florida, Columbus, Atlanta and the Islanders? They are entering a crucial stage of their development. Read here.

THE FUTURE

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Khabibulin has seven career shutouts v. the Kings, and he comes close to blanking them again as the Oilers win 4-1.
 
OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Nugent-Hopkin's line continues their dominant play in the offensive zone and they score twice. RNH scores his 2nd goal of the season.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Early in the first period, the Kopitar line creates four consecutive scoring chances yet Khabibulin stones them. The crowd cheers louder with each save and when the sequence ends they chant, "Habby, Habby, Habby." While sitting on the bench Devan Dubnyk wonders why they don't do the same for him, rather than the Duuuuuubbb that has become a trend. It's a question that no one, but you the fans, can answer. Please do.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#1 So not a Pouzar
February 19 2013, 01:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

Shoot Fist, ask questions later!

Avatar
#2 Hands McDangles
February 19 2013, 01:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

Whitney scores his FIST goal of the season tonight!

Avatar
#3 Hayek
February 19 2013, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Please stop this thing with Khabi, just send him out somewhere and let him fade into retirement.

Avatar
#4 Wanye
February 19 2013, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props
Hayek wrote:

Please stop this thing with Khabi, just send him out somewhere and let him fade into retirement.

SELMA HAYEK YOU MIGHT BE A STONE COLD FOX AND HILARIOUS IN THAT EPISODE OF 30 ROCK BUT YOU ARE OFTEN WRONG IN YOUR HOCKEY COMMENTARY

Avatar
#5 Giant Squid Overlord
February 19 2013, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

Dubnyk is a big calm netminder that uses his positioning and isn't flashy. He seems so relaxed, kind of like the big calm that washes over with a pull from a "Dooooooooooooooooob"

Khabby is more animated in the crease, seems a little twitchy and higher strung than his counterpart. "Habby! Habby! Habby!" is the chant for someone with a decent blood alcohol level - wired up and ready for some excitement.

The chants correlate with their dispositions, IMHO, or maybe I should lay off the pipe and pour one finger instead of three. Hmmmm...

Avatar
#6 Cowbell_Feva
February 19 2013, 01:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I am curious to see how the Oilers can cycle in the offensive zone tonight. As Gregor mentioned, LA is a much bigger team. I think the 4th line can be a big difference maker if they are effective in The offensive zone. They played well against Colorado but didn't get much recognition. There is something to be said of keeping the puck 200 ft from your goal, banging bodies, and throwing rubber at the net. Helps to wear down the opposition defence and rests the top lines so they stay fresh. If that can happen I could see it being a good game.

So long as we don't rely on scoring off the rush for every goal. Hope Khabby can keep playing as well as he has. Would love to see Smytty's pot one. Go oil.

Avatar
#7 Ducey
February 19 2013, 01:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

"Early in the first period, the Kopitar line creates four consecutive scoring chances yet Khabibulin stones them. The crowd cheers louder with each save and when the sequence ends they chant, "Habby, Habby, Habby." While sitting on the bench Devan Dubnyk wonders why they don't do the same for him, rather than the Duuuuuubbb that has become a trend. It's a question that no one, but you the fans, can answer. Please do."

Because fans don't cheer for guys sitting on the bench. Duh.

Avatar
#8 Will
February 19 2013, 01:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Should be yet another good game tonight against yet another good team that will yet again underestimate us.

I wonder if Stoll is still mad at that Yak celebration?

I see our powerplay shredding this team tonight as Quick hasn't looked great.

Avatar
#9 geoilersgist
February 19 2013, 02:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Will

I hope he is mad at Yak, takes a stupid penalty and Yak scores on the ensuing PP.

Avatar
#10 tileguy
February 19 2013, 02:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Is Khabby still drilling holes in his skates to leat the sweat drain out?

Avatar
#11 094
February 19 2013, 02:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
geoilersgist wrote:

I hope he is mad at Yak, takes a stupid penalty and Yak scores on the ensuing PP.

Then Yak skates out of the zone full speed pointing at the Kings penatly box where Stoll sits then does a massive jump into the penalty box boards while the rest of the Oilers on the ice race to catch him.

Avatar
#12 bwar
February 19 2013, 02:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I feel bad for Yak getting stranded on that third line again. If you are going to punish Yak then at least put him with Eager so that if LA does decided to get some retribution for "The Celebration" he's got someone out there to stand up for him.

Also would like to see Paajarvi get a few shifts with Gagner and Hemsky. He's had our last two GWG's and I'm interested in seeing how he would look rolling with some more skilled linemates.

Avatar
#13 geoilersgist
February 19 2013, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
094 wrote:

Then Yak skates out of the zone full speed pointing at the Kings penatly box where Stoll sits then does a massive jump into the penalty box boards while the rest of the Oilers on the ice race to catch him.

Dare to dream

Avatar
#14 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
February 19 2013, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

NSOGDP-

After three rexall heroin beers, my alternative persona "Ron B" , makes an unfortunate appearance and makes his way down from the 300's to give the King's coach another free "rexall shower".

This infuriates Mr. Sutter, and sends out Nolan to goon it up as retribution. Hemmer undresses him and sends his jock to the rafters along side O'Brien's, dishes the disc to Yak who in turns roofs it glove side on Quick who yet again lays face-to-ice after being not quick enough..

Nail brings back the "Yakupov-Slide" but finishes this one off with a "Lambeau-Leap" into the King's bench. This turns the post game presser into yet another "how dare that rookie celebrate after a goal" speech.

Side-notes: "Ron" doesn't get to see the latest celly, as he was being drug out by the scruff of his neck....again

Oil win 4-3 and the kings begin to realize that if Yak doesn't score, Yak doesn't celebrate....interesting revelation.

Avatar
#15 Phixieus666
February 19 2013, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

WTF I thought Whitney looked good with Petry. I don't think he will ever get his game back playing a third line role with a guy like fistric. Hello Belanger Triangle all over again but this year its with Whitney because he doesn't get to play on a high quality pairing.

Avatar
#16 Hayek
February 19 2013, 03:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Wanye wrote:

SELMA HAYEK YOU MIGHT BE A STONE COLD FOX AND HILARIOUS IN THAT EPISODE OF 30 ROCK BUT YOU ARE OFTEN WRONG IN YOUR HOCKEY COMMENTARY

Sorry, but I think Khabibulin is terrible. I don't really care much if he has a good game, I assume long term, he hurts the team more than helps (and I don't hope I'm wrong).

I don't like him as a person either, charged with a DUI, and he still gets to play hockey.

Unless there is a back to back, there is no need to play this relic.

Oh, my name has nothing to do with Selma Hayek, and typing in caps makes you look unprofessional. Sorry to hear you are a Khabibulin fan, but every fan has the right to their own opinion.

Avatar
#17 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
February 19 2013, 03:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Hayek wrote:

Sorry, but I think Khabibulin is terrible. I don't really care much if he has a good game, I assume long term, he hurts the team more than helps (and I don't hope I'm wrong).

I don't like him as a person either, charged with a DUI, and he still gets to play hockey.

Unless there is a back to back, there is no need to play this relic.

Oh, my name has nothing to do with Selma Hayek, and typing in caps makes you look unprofessional. Sorry to hear you are a Khabibulin fan, but every fan has the right to their own opinion.

This ought to be fun!!

or...

THIS OUGHT TO BE FUN!!

What ever way you prefer, it could get interesting.

This could back-fire on you SELMA, & EVERYONE COULD BEGIN TO TYPE WITH THE CAPS PERMANENTLY ON!

Avatar
#18 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 19 2013, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

NSOGDP:

Yakupov scores another electrifying goal (drawing the ire of the Kings' roster), then goes on to channel Ilya Brzgalov in his post-game interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

Avatar
#19 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 19 2013, 03:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props
Hayek wrote:

Sorry, but I think Khabibulin is terrible. I don't really care much if he has a good game, I assume long term, he hurts the team more than helps (and I don't hope I'm wrong).

I don't like him as a person either, charged with a DUI, and he still gets to play hockey.

Unless there is a back to back, there is no need to play this relic.

Oh, my name has nothing to do with Selma Hayek, and typing in caps makes you look unprofessional. Sorry to hear you are a Khabibulin fan, but every fan has the right to their own opinion.

Wow. With a sour attitude like that you're lucky you're a stone cold fox.

PS You were hilarious in that episode of 30 Rock.

Avatar
#20 Cody anderson
February 19 2013, 03:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Wow. With a sour attitude like that you're lucky you're a stone cold fox.

PS You were hilarious in that episode of 30 Rock.

I don't like Khaby either and I don't think Whitney fills a long term need for our team.

That being said not resigning either of them is terrible management of assets.

There are a few teams that currently have goaltender injuries and if Khaby plays a few more solid games for us he should be a tradeable asset closer to the deadline.

Every team in the NHL is looking for Dmen and a few need a guy that can play on the PP. While Whitney is not near what he once was, he is a valid option on the PP. Alone he should net us a 3rd rounder and could be a nice sweetener in a trade with the right team.

Avatar
#21 Hall for Captain
February 19 2013, 04:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Hayek wrote:

Sorry, but I think Khabibulin is terrible. I don't really care much if he has a good game, I assume long term, he hurts the team more than helps (and I don't hope I'm wrong).

I don't like him as a person either, charged with a DUI, and he still gets to play hockey.

Unless there is a back to back, there is no need to play this relic.

Oh, my name has nothing to do with Selma Hayek, and typing in caps makes you look unprofessional. Sorry to hear you are a Khabibulin fan, but every fan has the right to their own opinion.

TYPING IN CAPS!!!! YELLING!!!!! THIS IS A FAN-SITE NOT A BOARDROOM! WE DON'T DO PROFESSIONAL HERE! GET LOST!!!!

Avatar
#22 Bi-Curious Gord
February 19 2013, 04:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

MARTY REASONER CRIED!!!

Avatar
#23 yeeps
February 19 2013, 04:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I interrupt this budding CAPS LOCK fight to remind everyone.....If someone around you is "DOOOOBing" it is your responsibility to kick said person right in the teeth. Thank You. Now please enjoy the ensuing fight.

Avatar
#24 Rama Lama
February 19 2013, 04:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

My Prayer;

Please Hockey God..........just give us a lead and let us keep it. No more coming from behind, or over time,.......... each and every game!

Amen

Avatar
#25 Hayek
February 19 2013, 04:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Cody anderson wrote:

I don't like Khaby either and I don't think Whitney fills a long term need for our team.

That being said not resigning either of them is terrible management of assets.

There are a few teams that currently have goaltender injuries and if Khaby plays a few more solid games for us he should be a tradeable asset closer to the deadline.

Every team in the NHL is looking for Dmen and a few need a guy that can play on the PP. While Whitney is not near what he once was, he is a valid option on the PP. Alone he should net us a 3rd rounder and could be a nice sweetener in a trade with the right team.

I agree with you that Whitney has some trade value because other teams will just choose to look past that his ankle hasen't recovered since surgery, and that it is likely to continue with him for the rest of his career.

I tend to disagree that Khabibulin has any trade value (unless possibly he puts up a .915 SV % this year, which is also unlikely). Lots of media talked about Khabi having trade value last year, and there was zero interest. I see the same situation this year. There are just an abundance of goalies in the league, and many of better quality.

Maybe I'm wrong here, if I had the chance to bet, I'd probably bet on a line of -800 that Khabi won't be traded

Avatar
#26 Mikey
February 19 2013, 04:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Wanye wrote:

SELMA HAYEK YOU MIGHT BE A STONE COLD FOX AND HILARIOUS IN THAT EPISODE OF 30 ROCK BUT YOU ARE OFTEN WRONG IN YOUR HOCKEY COMMENTARY

Hahahaha. I swear, in the darkness of where ever you live, you lay in wait for her to post.

Avatar
#27 northof51
February 19 2013, 04:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

@Hayek

Habby was not tradeable last year because he pretty much sucked, and he had a year left on his $3.75 Million contract that could not be bought out this year (35+ rule). If he plays well (decent) this year he could be attractive as a low-cost, affordable rental. GO TO TSN OR SPORTSNET IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE NATION!

Avatar
#28 Hayek
February 19 2013, 04:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
northof51 wrote:

Habby was not tradeable last year because he pretty much sucked, and he had a year left on his $3.75 Million contract that could not be bought out this year (35+ rule). If he plays well (decent) this year he could be attractive as a low-cost, affordable rental. GO TO TSN OR SPORTSNET IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE NATION!

I guess we will see. I'd be a bit confused as to why another team would want a 40 y/o goaltender, coming off injury, who lost his starting spot on a team that was ranked 29th in the league next year. He put up a .910 SV% last year, and .890SV% the year before. When Luongo, Bernier, and others are available, it's pretty difficult seeing other teams being interested.

I guess there is a possibility they want a veteran as insurance for a backup. But most teams seem to have a vested interest in young goaltenders within their own system. Nothing worse to get a future starter irritated by losing his spot to a 40 y/o who takes your spot for a playoff run.

Avatar
#29 yeeps
February 19 2013, 04:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Hayek

Cap space is not an issue for us this year and Khabby is more than adequate as a back up. I say we keep him for this year to serve that role.

Avatar
#30 Quicksilver ballet
February 19 2013, 04:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Hayek

Hey Selma, i'll take that Khabibulin bet.

3 first overalls in a row, and it was because of Khabbys goaltending......where do these bozos keep coming from?

Avatar
#31 Time Travelling Sean
February 19 2013, 05:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Hayek

Luongo and Bernier aren't back-ups. What happens if Rask or Lundqvist get injured? Khabbi showed, for at least one game, that he can still play.

Maybe that's it, he can stay rested and not get fatigued and can put up some solid back-up tending.

Avatar
#32 Dog Train
February 19 2013, 05:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

It's interesting to see that the Kings are also struggling 5 on 5 when everybody always suggests that we need to get bigger in order to solve our own 5 on 5 woes. Not saying that we couldn't use some size and grit, just that we need to be careful when trading away offensive talent.

I think we are starting to get in a rhythm offensively. I will say we keep it going and win 4-2. Goals by Hall, Eberle, J. Schultz and Hartikainen.

Avatar
#33 Pucker
February 19 2013, 05:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I'm keeping my optimism in check. Colorado was a great come back but they aren't a very good team, particularly missing so many of their starters.

8-1 OILERS. MAGNUM GETS A HAT TRICK !!!!

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE UNPROFESSIONALISM. I HIT A BUTTON AND CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO UNHIT IT.

Avatar
#34 jake
February 19 2013, 05:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Edmonton always scores on Colorado. Hope I am wrong but they don't get more than 2 tonight. LA clogs up the ice.

Avatar
#35 GNikkles
February 19 2013, 05:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Hayek

Selma Hayek I'm missing the unprofessional part... I am sure that Wanye made sure to put on his most formal sweatpants and Wrestlemania T-Shirt before responding to you. He always looks his best when he's out on the Internet.

Avatar
#36 8 Inches Uncut
February 19 2013, 05:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
tileguy wrote:

Is Khabby still drilling holes in his skates to leat the sweat drain out?

You don't sweat less with age.

Avatar
#37 striatic
February 19 2013, 05:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Khabibulin still clearly has the reflexes to play at an elite level.

his problem is physical and mental fatigue over time, which precludes him being a starting goaltender.

he's an overpaid backup, but he's shown over the past few years that he can play very well in short spurts.

the worry is if Dubnyk gets injured. i don't trust Khabibulin at all in that scenario and it would suck to waste yet another season. Yann Danis probably gets called up and plays the most games in that scenario.

Avatar
#38 Wax Man Riley
February 19 2013, 05:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
bwar wrote:

I feel bad for Yak getting stranded on that third line again. If you are going to punish Yak then at least put him with Eager so that if LA does decided to get some retribution for "The Celebration" he's got someone out there to stand up for him.

Also would like to see Paajarvi get a few shifts with Gagner and Hemsky. He's had our last two GWG's and I'm interested in seeing how he would look rolling with some more skilled linemates.

I don't think Yak is stranded on the 3rd line at all. He is an 18 (19?) year old rookie making his way into the best league in the world, playing with 2 experienced vets.

Sounds like a perfect combination.

I love seeing that the Oilers have enough forward depth that they can bring him along slowly and do not need him to produce in order to win.

Avatar
#39 Mikey
February 19 2013, 05:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Hayek wrote:

I guess we will see. I'd be a bit confused as to why another team would want a 40 y/o goaltender, coming off injury, who lost his starting spot on a team that was ranked 29th in the league next year. He put up a .910 SV% last year, and .890SV% the year before. When Luongo, Bernier, and others are available, it's pretty difficult seeing other teams being interested.

I guess there is a possibility they want a veteran as insurance for a backup. But most teams seem to have a vested interest in young goaltenders within their own system. Nothing worse to get a future starter irritated by losing his spot to a 40 y/o who takes your spot for a playoff run.

The answer is in your reply. He is insurance if your start falters. Meaning how could the starter be upset losing his job when he is playing like crap or injured.

What's the cost for Luongo? Bernier? Now what's the cost for Khaby? Think about it.

Avatar
#40 Jefferson
February 19 2013, 05:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

The 1980's Oilers would have shattered the record for shots, but they usually were up by 5 goals or so, so they went on cruise control.

Avatar
#41 Jump
February 19 2013, 05:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

If you think LA will play like the AHL team Colorado Avalanche you are in for a surprise.

Avatar
#42 a lg dubl dubl
February 19 2013, 06:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I LIKE BIG LETTERS TOO!!!

Avatar
#43 Brick Tamland
February 19 2013, 06:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

LOUD NOISES!

Avatar
#44 Wax Man Riley
February 19 2013, 06:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Hayek wrote:

Sorry, but I think Khabibulin is terrible. I don't really care much if he has a good game, I assume long term, he hurts the team more than helps (and I don't hope I'm wrong).

I don't like him as a person either, charged with a DUI, and he still gets to play hockey.

Unless there is a back to back, there is no need to play this relic.

Oh, my name has nothing to do with Selma Hayek, and typing in caps makes you look unprofessional. Sorry to hear you are a Khabibulin fan, but every fan has the right to their own opinion.

I CANT BELIEVE SALMA HAYEK IS AN OILERS FAN!!

I LOVED YOU IN DOGMA AND FROM DUSK TILL DAWN. I AM SO HAPPY YUO ARE AN OILERS FAN...

....PROPS TO ALL!!

Avatar
#45 Zy
February 19 2013, 06:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

There are 2 seasons in the NHL regular and playoffs, to win in regular season size and grit are not as important , but once the playoffs start there is much less ice and the Refs don't call as much.

Oilers could do well in the regular season but once the playoffs come, they are too weak.

Avatar
#46 Hayek
February 19 2013, 06:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Mikey wrote:

The answer is in your reply. He is insurance if your start falters. Meaning how could the starter be upset losing his job when he is playing like crap or injured.

What's the cost for Luongo? Bernier? Now what's the cost for Khaby? Think about it.

Maybe look at the market first. I'll work under the assumption that teams looking for insurance will be contending teams, so lets just look at the top 4 teams in each conference now.

PIT-Vokoun MTL-Budaj CAR-Ellis NJ-Hedberg

CHI-Emery ANA-Fasth VAN-Luongo STL-Elliot

So who among these backups will Khabibulin be an improvement over. Then think what GM wants to upset one of the goalies, and have them lose their spot on the team.

Personally, I don't see any teams in the current top 8 taking someone such as Khabibulin as a backup over their current backup. The most unstable ground is probably under Hedberg and Ellis, but that's debatable.

Hometown fans seem to overvalue the perception of their players' values that other teams place (that's why why see these ridiculous rade rumours come out, and are always laughed at by the other side).

The thing is just a lack of a market. If Khabibulin was a starting goalie, putting up good numbers on a non-playoff team, then yeah, there might be some demand for him at the trade deadline. This is not him today, hence no market, as other teams have options available, and younger options which bring more than just a rental for a backup.

Just curious though, maybe enlighten me onto which teams will be interested in Khabi this trade deadline. And let me know which backup they will be replacing. I'm not doing this to mock you guys, just give me an informed opinion, and back it up.

Avatar
#47 The poster formerly known as Koolaid drinker #33
February 19 2013, 06:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Jump wrote:

If you think LA will play like the AHL team Colorado Avalanche you are in for a surprise.

If you think a poster with an anonymous name will post ignorantly yet arrogantly about the outcome of an event he has absolutely no control of because he thinks it makes him sound cool, you are in for a surprise.

Avatar
#48 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
February 19 2013, 06:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@GNikkles

WANYE PUT ON PANTS, PANTS YOU SAY. IN ALL THE YEARS OF THE INTERWEB, WANYE HAS NEVER BEEN KNOWN TO PUT ON PANTS ESPECIALLY FORMAL SWEATPANTS!

Avatar
#49 bwar
February 19 2013, 06:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

I don't think Yak is stranded on the 3rd line at all. He is an 18 (19?) year old rookie making his way into the best league in the world, playing with 2 experienced vets.

Sounds like a perfect combination.

I love seeing that the Oilers have enough forward depth that they can bring him along slowly and do not need him to produce in order to win.

He's playing with two guys who can't keep up with him and then on top of that can't get him the puck. Yak was mostly invisible last game until he got a few shifts with Gagner and Hemsky. So far Yak doesn't seem like a player that elevates those around him but instead feeds off of those around him. Having him on the third line might make him hungry for his next opportunity with the big boys but you won't be getting any production out of him until that next opportunity.

If the goal is to have three productive 5v5 lines then Krueger needs to consider either putting one of the play makers with Hartikainen and Paajarvi or dropping a player off the top line to play with Yak on the third.

Hall Belanger Eberle '

Yakupov Gagner Hemsky

Hartikainen RNH Paajarvi

or

Hall Belanger Eberle

Hartikainen Gagner Hemsky

Yakupov RNH Smyth

(Belanger can be substituted with anyone who can take a faceoff)

No point in marooning a talented player like Yak with the wrap around king and some dude who is ok at faceoffs and penalty killing.

Avatar
#50 Mikey
February 19 2013, 06:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Hayek wrote:

Maybe look at the market first. I'll work under the assumption that teams looking for insurance will be contending teams, so lets just look at the top 4 teams in each conference now.

PIT-Vokoun MTL-Budaj CAR-Ellis NJ-Hedberg

CHI-Emery ANA-Fasth VAN-Luongo STL-Elliot

So who among these backups will Khabibulin be an improvement over. Then think what GM wants to upset one of the goalies, and have them lose their spot on the team.

Personally, I don't see any teams in the current top 8 taking someone such as Khabibulin as a backup over their current backup. The most unstable ground is probably under Hedberg and Ellis, but that's debatable.

Hometown fans seem to overvalue the perception of their players' values that other teams place (that's why why see these ridiculous rade rumours come out, and are always laughed at by the other side).

The thing is just a lack of a market. If Khabibulin was a starting goalie, putting up good numbers on a non-playoff team, then yeah, there might be some demand for him at the trade deadline. This is not him today, hence no market, as other teams have options available, and younger options which bring more than just a rental for a backup.

Just curious though, maybe enlighten me onto which teams will be interested in Khabi this trade deadline. And let me know which backup they will be replacing. I'm not doing this to mock you guys, just give me an informed opinion, and back it up.

Dude I never said it was a possible trade. I was just responding to your reduculous reply. And if you were to trade him your going to only get a 3rd 4th pick. Maybe.

Comments are closed for this article.