MINOR CELLY AND FINAL PARTY PLEA

Wanye
March 01 2013 10:33AM

A 5-1 over Dallas in Dallas last night? Jeff Petry scoring in two straight games? The rookie party must have been one hell of a morale raiser for the Mighty Oil because that was as complete of a game as we have seen in awhile from the Copper and Blue and Orange and Blue.

Time to party if you ask me.

MORE ABOUT LAST NIGHT

The thing about being a team on the come up is that sooner or later you are going to start winning games you have no business winning. The Oilers hadn't won in Dallas since 2006 if you can believe it, but last night they handled the Stars with all of the grace and champion form that one would expect from a team Robin Brownlee picked to make the playoffs this year.

The big difference you can start to see with these here Oilers is that when they lose a game nowadays you can point to a handful of players that dramatically underperformed. A couple years ago? They didn't have the team to compete on most nights.

And now when these same underperforming players connect and play to their potential for a night the result is things like a 6-1 road beat down of a team they rarely if ever beat on the road. Even Jaromir Jagr scoring his 324th career goal* against the Oil and breaking DD's shutout bid couldn't dampen the mood.

If this is the way they are going to play after their annual rookie dinner we suggest Justin Schultz and Yak City pick up the tabs for all the meals going foward. That was a fine hockey match every which way you slice it.

MORE ABOUT TONIGHT

Well we had 150 tickets and gift packs ready for the 5th Birthday Party of OilersNation.com tonight at the Pint off Whyte. And 150 tickets hath been sold and rolled since that time. Perhaps its because UFC ring gal Arianny Celeste** is in the building. Perhaps its because Jason Gregor has promised to dance the lindy high atop a flag pole should the Oilers win. Whatever the case the original 150 tickets are gone.

But we haven't bought tickets yet and most of our lazy ne'er do well buddies are sort of "game day" decision makers. So we called the Pint last night and asked if we could release 50 more tickets for sale tomorrow morning and they said "fine by us you idiot we are a public gathering place with a capacity of 600. Knock yourself out."

This will cut into the left over tee shirts we were going to fire sale off on the site afterwards with the proceeds to charity. But as they say in the Merchant Marines "a good party beats internet tee shirt sales any day of the week.***" All of the proceeds of the $20 ticket go to the Inner City Childrens Fund and you get a swaggalicious 5th birthday tee shirt, a $25 Oodle Noodle GC a $20 Pint GC and assorted memories from the night.

It's Friday. Let's party. Click here for yer tickets y'all.

FOOTNOTES

*Actual career statistic we looked

**This won't go well mark my words

***Actual saying in the Merchant Marines

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 StHenriOilBomb
March 01 2013, 11:12AM

Wayne, the score was 5-1. 6-1 was the height of the she-male you took home in your post-win glow...

#2 Mikey
March 01 2013, 10:40AM

Party on Wayne (best Garth impression)

#3 MarcusBillius
March 01 2013, 10:49AM

Even when tried as adults, minors do not end up as cell mates with adults. Or were you referring to a cello the way my niece does to hers?

#4 CdnMaDCoW
March 01 2013, 11:23AM

Would like to buy a ticket but I can't make it. Got my kids tonight. If I buy one would I still get all the swag?

#5 Shane
March 01 2013, 11:29AM

@StHenriOilBomb

HA!!! PROPS!!!

#6 Phixieus666
March 01 2013, 11:43AM

So let me get this right Edm puts in a claim for Volpatti but then doesn't put any in on Sestito or Wandell. The Oil management really is Farked. I have no confidence in them outside of selecting a first overall. And I'm not kidding. The team has already run into issues at center and one comes up for the picking and they just pass him over. Like really you can always put him back on waivers and his contract was up at the end of the season so you could just let him walk. Risk Reward strongly in the favor of the Oiler's here and they do nothing.

#7 A-Mc
March 01 2013, 11:50AM

I'm so committed to this party that I'm coming alone. (my normal Drinking buddies are busy already. Lame. )

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THAT AWESOMELY SEXY SHIRT.

Wanye, how early can one pickup their shirt of pure awesomeness? 5pm? Surely before puck drop at 6pm!

#8 Fatbob24
March 01 2013, 12:36PM

is it in poor taste to wear your oilers nation hoodie to an oilers nation party?

*it's all i have...

#9 A-Mc
March 01 2013, 12:41PM
Fatbob24 wrote:

*it's all i have...

I would think it's encouraged!

#10 Shane
March 01 2013, 12:45PM
Phixieus666 wrote:

Whom are you claiming is an upgrade over who here?

#11 Phixieus666
March 01 2013, 01:05PM
Shane wrote:

Whom are you claiming is an upgrade over who here?

Sestito is an upgrade over Hordichuck. And any experienced center would have been better than putting Smyth there. CVV can still be sent down so if another center goes down we aren't stuck with none to play. Its not as much about upgrading as it is about adequate depth.

#12 Shane
March 01 2013, 01:10PM

Hey Wanye,

Heres an idea, make everyone tonight at the Pint wear a name tag of their ON names and see how many arguments break out.

#13 A-Mc
March 01 2013, 01:17PM
Shane wrote:

Hey Wanye,

This is a good idea. Although i imagine very few of the 'hard' personalities would be at this party anyway.

You're more likely to find the lighthearted drunks (myself included) ie: real fans.

#14 Matt Henderson
March 01 2013, 05:28PM

I'm gonna be there!

#15 Walter Devenz
March 03 2013, 07:24AM

Hope the night was fun. Living in ottawa sucks when you're an oil fan. Are there any XL shirts left i can purchase and walk around in Sens city? Thanks, just let me know how to get one