FGD: Life Without Iggy Begins

Ryan Pike
March 29 2013 03:33PM

Columbus Blue Jackets

pic via Teka England

The Calgary Flames are coming off a white-knuckled 4-3 win over the lowly Colorado Avalanche on Wednesday night and they continue their trek to the trade deadline with a meeting tonight with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Game time is 7pm on Sportsnet West and Sportsnet 960 The Fan.

The Flames (13-15-4) are recovering from a tumultuous 48 hours, one which saw their captain depart for Pennsylvania and the team pick up a big divisional win, part of their effort to try to salvage some positives from this up-and-down season. The Jackets (13-14-7) have been excellent lately, boasting a 5-2-3 record over their last ten games, but are fresh from a road loss last night in Edmonton. The Jackets have an awful, awful road record, while the Flames have won eight in a row on Saddledome ice.

Can the Flames start the post-Iginla era with a win and stretch out their impressive home winning streak? Can they continue to feast upon teams playing their second of back-to-back road games? Or will they struggle against the Jackets once again?

THE LINE-UP

Forgotten in the last few days of craziness is the fact that the Flames have found ways to win at home. The team has won eight straight at the Dome, even when playing back-to-back games, or playing good teams, or starting their back-up goalie, or missing their franchise player (etc.).

I would expect Calgary to dress a similar line-up as in Wednesday's game, albeit with some minor tweaks. Here's how the lines finished off against Colorado:

• Glencross-Stajan-Stempniak
  • Comeau-Cammalleri-Tanguay
  • Cervenka-Backlund-Hudler
  • McGrattan-Begin-Jackman

• Brodie-Bouwmeester
  • Giordano-Wideman
  • Butler-Sarich

• MacDonald

I would probably expect to see Miikka Kiprusoff in net, and perhaps Derek Smith to rotate back into the line-up on the blueline. Alex Tanguay didn't skate on Thursday and briefly left Wednesday's game before returning. My guess is he'll play.

With Iginla gone forever and ever (or until he returns), the Flames are down to 12 forwards, so I would expect them to summon a body from Abbotsford in the near futrure. The Heat play in Hamilton tonight and Toronto on Saturday, so if somebody's coming, they'll either come immediately or after the weekend.

THE OPPOSITION

Despite the fact that the Blue Jackets have historically been just awful, the Flames have nevertheless struggled against them. Last season the Calgary went 1-2-1 against the Jackets and they've split their pair of games this year, although Columbus has managed to get points in every single game over that span.

The upside for Calgary is that Columbus played last night in Edmonton – and lost by a score of 6-4. There's a chance that instead of facing goalie extraordinaire Sergei Bobrovsky, they may get back-up sieve extraordinaire Steve Mason.

Here's how the lines looked for the Jackets last night, when they scratched Nick Foligno due to injury and rolled with seven defensemen, including pariah Tim Erixon.

• Brassard-Letestu-Prospal
  • Calvert-Anisimov-Atkinson
  • Umberger-Johansen-Collins
  • rotating-MacKenzie-Boll

• Wisniewski-Tyutin
  • Nikitin-Prout
  • Johnson-Aucoin

• Erixon
  • Mason

I wouldn't expect Foligno back tonight, but maybe Colton Gillies or John Moore could jump in on the fourth line in lieu of Erixon. Then again, with Jarome Iginla gone forever (or until he returns), Flames fans could bond in their hatred of Erixon.

SUM IT UP

Columbus played last night and lost, while the Flames are 7-2-1 playing a team that played the night before. Better yet, the Flames rebounded from a one-sided game in Chicago by beating Colorado – albeit a Colorado team that's dreaming of Seth Jones right now.

The Jarome Iginla era is over. Whatever the next era will end up being, it begins tonight, rather inauspiciously, with a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
#51 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 09:27PM

Flames best case scenario is...

1. They finish last

2. Pens win the Cup

3. Pens win the lottery

#52 Danglesnipecelly
March 29 2013, 09:30PM
Vintage Flame wrote:

Flames best case scenario is...

1. They finish last

2. Pens win the Cup

3. Pens win the lottery

I thought only the teams that missed the playoff were in the lottery?

#54 clyde
March 29 2013, 09:32PM
Vintage Flame wrote:

Flames best case scenario is...

1. They finish last

2. Pens win the Cup

3. Pens win the lottery

I would settle for the first and third scenario. The Flames schedule is about to get much tougher and with a couple more trades, we should be right in the mix for last. Then, please see us draft in the top 3.

#55 ChinookArch
March 29 2013, 09:34PM
Ryan Pike wrote:

You are correct. Pens cannot win the lottery.

I thought all teams were eligible for the lottery in the new CBA?

#57 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 09:40PM

I'm pretty sure ALL teams are eligible for the lottery this year.

#58 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 09:41PM

Rough night for TJ Brodie so far.

#59 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 09:41PM

But I'm not arguing Pike being wrong... So I'll take his word for it.

#61 Scary Gary
March 29 2013, 09:44PM

The NHL announced all 14 teams that miss the playoffs, or the teams that hold the rights to the top 14 picks, will be eligible to win the No. 1 draft pick when the lottery is held on April 29.

#62 RKD
March 29 2013, 09:45PM

The 2013 NHL Draft Lottery, to be held this year on Monday, April 29, will be the first in NHL history where all 14 clubs not qualifying for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, or the clubs that have acquired the first-round drafting positions of those non-playoff clubs, will have a chance at winning the right to the first overall selection. Under the previous lottery system, only the five teams with the fewest points in the standings had the opportunity to win the first overall selection as rules dictated no team could move up more than four spots.

The odds don't change

March 29 2013, 09:49PM

Nightmare evening for Brodie.

#64 RKD
March 29 2013, 09:51PM

Glencross!

#65 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 09:51PM

Man I love Scoreface. I hope he is the captain next year.... If they don't trade him.

#66 Double Dion
March 29 2013, 09:52PM

Nightmare evening for Brodie.

Yup, he's had a tough night. Worst I've seen from him this year.

#67 Double Dion
March 29 2013, 09:53PM
Vintage Flame wrote:

There are really only two options. Him or Giordano. Seriously doubt he's traded. I'd be more shocked if he were moved than anyone else because of the ranch.

#68 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 09:59PM

@Double Dion

I don't see him moving either.. but who knows with this team.

Maybe KK takes him for another horse ride?

#69 ChinookArch
March 29 2013, 10:01PM

I'm depressed.

March 29 2013, 10:03PM

Flames had a terrible time managing the puck in the neutral zone tonight. Again, the netminding was meh, but jesus stop giving the puck to the other team while your guys are moving the wrong direction.

On the positive side, one step closer to a lottery pick.

#71 Double Dion
March 29 2013, 10:04PM

@Vintage Flame

We really should have KK take all the kids for pony rides. If they'll sign half of market contracts afterwards I don't care how sore his groin region is from all the saddle bouncing.

#72 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 10:05PM

@Kent Wilson

What were final chances?

#73 Double Dion
March 29 2013, 10:05PM

@Kent Wilson

Yup, some terrible turnovers tonight. It would be nice if Kipper would mix in a save or two though. I just really want one of the top 4 guys. Barkov preferably.

#75 schevvy
March 29 2013, 10:07PM

I miss Iggy... :(

#76 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 10:09PM
Double Dion wrote:

Saw on twitter tonight that Barkov is hurt and out for the rest of the season.

You still want him?

#77 Double Dion
March 29 2013, 10:10PM

@schevvy

I don't really miss him at all. He was here in spirit tonight with the turnovers and inability to get the puck out the wall.

If we land Petan with the Pens pick and he grows 2 inches, I really won't miss him.

March 29 2013, 10:10PM

@Vintage Flame

20-16 Flames overall thanks to a 6-3 third period. They were chasing the whole time tho.

#79 Double Dion
March 29 2013, 10:11PM

@Vintage Flame

Didn't know that. Honestly, I'd be happy with any of the top 4 guys. How serious was the injury? There isn't much left of the season over there.

#80 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 10:26PM

@Double Dion

Not sure what the injury is, all I know is that he is out for the season.

I'll see if I can find something out after I finish the post-game article

#81 Scary Gary
March 29 2013, 10:27PM

Cheer on Brossoit! Three minutes left in the first to close out the series.

#82 Scary Gary
March 29 2013, 10:29PM
Vintage Flame wrote:

Not sure what the injury is, all I know is that he is out for the season.

I'll see if I can find something out after I finish the post-game article

Shoulder, he should still go top six though no?

#83 Q
March 29 2013, 10:30PM

I'd love to believe jaybo has some value but after tnite I'm nit sure. Who's stupid enough to take on that contract?! Oilers?

#84 Scary Gary
March 29 2013, 10:38PM
Q wrote:

JayBo is a very good defenceman on a bad team. And besides he only has one year left on his contract.

Looking at the market and comparables I'm sure he'll sign his next contract between 5-6.5 mil a season.

#85 the forgotten man
March 29 2013, 10:51PM

I can taste that Top 3 pick...and it tastes like a succulent Easter Ham...good job tonight boys, keep it up!

#86 Alt
March 29 2013, 11:04PM
Q wrote:

Your,re a Oilers fan or Oiler,s management?

#87 Vintage Flame
March 29 2013, 11:23PM

Post game is up

#88 Derzie
March 30 2013, 12:24AM
Monaertchi wrote:

What part of "Moment of Silence" do people not understand?

The part where they said it was a 'great leader'. Respect for the dead but talk about polishing a turd.

#89 Franko J
March 30 2013, 12:32AM

It is looking good and most likely a top 5 pick is quite possible.

After tonight there will be many more tough nights ahead for the Flames. Before I can make a decision on whether or not this team is heading in the right direction I am going to reserve my judgement until the draft.

With Bouwmeester hopefully on the move I hope the Flames can aquire more picks and prospects in this deep draft. There are players in this draft who can kick start the rebuilding or retooling.

While I don't like the team losing, this type of season has been long overdue. Finally the ownership and management has come to the realization that this team is no longer good enough to compete and that the majority of the players on this team will never move this team towards a playoff birth.

#90 Tenbrucelees
March 30 2013, 02:05AM

I understand that it would be profitable to pick high but to hear fans relishing losses leaves me feeling slightly disgusted.

You do realise you aren't Oilers fans right?