The Iginla Trade Circus

Arik
March 30 2013 10:11AM

 

After the news of the Boston “trade” broke over twitter, I made the joke that it would have been far more appropriate for Calgary to play Iginla and trade him in the middle of the game, given how absurd the management is, but they did me one better. Hell, they did me several better.

First, we’re going to make two (very likely and logical) assumptions (which have recently been confirmed by Chiarelli):

1. The rumored Boston trade was an actual offer.

2. Jarome Iginla was involved in the trade beyond stating which teams he’d waive his NTC for. Well, this isn’t so much an assumption - Elliotte Friedman said so outright. “Feaster said Iginla made the call on PIT. Added the draft choice is not conditional.”

So what we saw was the Flames making a not great, but probably the best available, trade for a conditional first (condition unknown), Alexander Khokhlachev (a guy with 1st line potential and a very good puck possession game), and some other guy I don’t even remember at this point. The Flames twitter feed stayed quiet on the issue, though major media members were mostly confirming it. Then Calgary told all the media to remain after the game, and SURPRISE IGINLA’S GOING ELSEWHERE FOR OTHER THINGS.

There was almost a sense that Feaster, for a moment, fancied himself a magician with a big reveal. “It’s not a cake...it’s a lady!” as he whips the fancy cloth away*.

What makes this fascinating (in the same way the Cloverfield was fascinating) was the process of letting a player get involved and make the call on the team. Jarome Iginla was a hell of a player, seemingly a nice dude, and an icon in Calgary, but he’s hardly a qualified scout or hockey analyst. So if he had already agreed that Boston, LA, PIT and whatever the other place was were all fine, why did he make the final call?

The fact is, Calgary is run by children thinking themselves far cleverer than they really are. Pittsburgh has several high quality prospects (Maatta, Pouliot, Depres) that are almost assuredly worth more than the likely 28th-30th first round pick, and yet Feaster seemed entirely thrilled that he’d gotten an unconditional first round pick.

For all the serious analytic work that the writers here at FN will do on this trade in the coming days and weeks, there’s one very important thing to remember: this may have beaten the Jokinen and Prust trade to the New York Rangers in terms of sheer absurdity in the process.

*I have no idea what cool magic tricks are going on these days, but I assume only the ones in Calgary involve making good hockey players disappear for cheap bits of flim flam

89f9ff18b1b3e325c6f96a48ff40560a
Arik works in Search and Rescue in the United States Coast Guard and is a former managing editor of the SBN Flames blog, Matchsticks and Gasoline.
Avatar
#101 dotfras
March 30 2013, 07:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I bet if we had a winning team we wouldn't be fighting semantics with each other

:)

Fun to see Iginla play today. There was one shift in particular where the Iggy, Malkin, Neal line absolutely dominated the cycle down low, they had a ton of momentum & then guess who....Desprea gives Grabner a breakaway pass.

Avatar
#102 dotfras
March 30 2013, 07:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I bet if we had a winning team we wouldn't be fighting semantics with each other

:)

Fun to see Iginla play today. There was one shift in particular where the Iggy, Malkin, Neal line absolutely dominated the cycle down low, they had a ton of momentum & then guess who....Desprea gives Grabner a breakaway pass.

Avatar
#103 dotfras
March 30 2013, 07:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Double Post.

Avatar
#104 BurningSensation
March 30 2013, 07:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Colin wrote:

The return from Pittsburgh wasn't Feasters "fault", it's reality for the going rate of a declining mid 30s past his prime power forward with declining performance. Throw in the fact he has a full NMC and that pretty well EVERYONE knew he wanted to go to Pittsburgh, what are you gonna do. Keep holding onto that assest despite the fact the return was never gonna get better, he had four teams bidding and the bruins offer and pitt offer were the best he got and neither were really good. What should he have done? Not make the trade and watch him walk away in the summer for nothing? Be happy he at least did this much.

Yes Weisbrod has some sort of fascination with guys out of college(or just not out of the CHL) for some reason, don't know why. We'll see if this strategy works at all(I have my doubts) but for now, we got something for someone that in 2 months wasn't going to be a FLame anyways.

Weisbrod has a fascination with college guys for the simple reason that when he was with Bruins he was head of scouting for college prospects. If anybody knows where the hidden gems in the college ranks are, it's Weisbrod.

Avatar
#105 BurningSensation
March 30 2013, 08:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
backburner wrote:

A lot of speculation here on Iggy handcuffing Feaster... so lets just clear the air.. here are the facts:

1) The return from Pittsburgh was Feasters fault, not Iggy's. Iggy wasn't making the trade. It's Weisbrod's obsession with College boys that made that deal. The same Weisbrod that wanted Jankowski over Maatta, Ceci and Teravainen at the draft.

2) Iggy did submit a list of four teams, three made pitches. Feaster narrowed it down to Boston and Pittsburgh, and then asked Iggy where he wanted to go. Iggy picked Pittsburgh. He had every right within his contract to do that.

3) The Boston deal was slightly better, but let's be honest... aside from the late first round picks, those prospects aren't even close to being NHL ready. There were only four prospects the Flames should have considered: Spooner, Krug, Pouliot and Maatta.

Feaster has had more than enough time to shop Iggy, so I don't buy the "something is better than nothing" bit.

Feaster and Weisbrod helped make this "King-Sized" bed, now we all have to lay in it.

I was with you up to #3

It's all fine and good to say that the only prospects the Flames 'should' have considered were X, Y, and Z , but they weren't on offer.

Knowing that, you can either walk away or take other prospects, you take the other prospects.

Avatar
#106 the-wolf
March 30 2013, 08:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@BurningSensation

Hey, disagree with me all you want, but do not put blatant lies on here.

Quote me and let's see.

I've stated probably 3G, including this thread that I'm satisfied with the return and the reasons why.

Actually read other's posts all the way through before you accuse them of posting the opposite of what they actually wrote.

Not happy with the process. Return was best they could get given the circumstances the ownership painted Feaster's into.

Appreciate if you don't lie about what I write again. I've at least given you that courtesy.

Avatar
#107 Willi P
March 30 2013, 08:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
BurningSensation wrote:

Weisbrod has a fascination with college guys for the simple reason that when he was with Bruins he was head of scouting for college prospects. If anybody knows where the hidden gems in the college ranks are, it's Weisbrod.

Probably not a bad decision to have a US college expert on staff considering that the last time Calgary won the cup in 1989, the following players on that team came through the US College/University system;

Perry Berezan Jamie Macoun Joe Mullen Joel Otto Joe Nieuwendyk Colin Patterson Paul Ranheim Gary Suter

The Flames in the 80's had the same approach.

Avatar
#108 c
March 30 2013, 08:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
meat1 wrote:

@ clyde

My bad. That last post was for you.

Thanks Meat, I really enjoy reading the comments on here too and respect the opinions of everyone even if I don't always agree. I am very big on a rebuild without a complete tear down but if the offers are there jump on them. I worry about Feaster being in charge if he in fact is. Even though we have missed the boat on the optimal return for Iggy and Kipper which has been so frustrating to witness, we can still get a very good return on a couple of others. I like what JBO brings as do other teams. We need to move him and Detroit wants him bad. They have moved up the standings lately too which could be very good for us. If we could get the young Swedish center ( Jarncrock?) and a first, that would be a very good trade. Detroit would rather do a lNyquist/Tartar deal. If Ottawa would part with Siverberg and a 1st, I would like that. I think if the offers are good for Glencross and Stempniak, we do those as well. It is time to collect young prospects and higher draft choices. I must say that Agostino has been a very pleasant surprise at the National tournament especially for a guy who could be playing junior. Hopefully Weisbrod stole us one.

Avatar
#109 BurningSensation
March 30 2013, 08:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Willi P wrote:

Probably not a bad decision to have a US college expert on staff considering that the last time Calgary won the cup in 1989, the following players on that team came through the US College/University system;

Perry Berezan Jamie Macoun Joe Mullen Joel Otto Joe Nieuwendyk Colin Patterson Paul Ranheim Gary Suter

The Flames in the 80's had the same approach.

Weisbrod's resume is actually pretty impressive.

After a stint running the Orlando Solar Bears the owner liked him so much he made him GM of the Orlando Magic. He was there a few years (and among other things drafted Dwight Howard ahead of Emeka Okafor who was more highly regarded), before eventually getting the axe.

He eventually ended up in Boston's scouting department where among other things he became their expert on College prospects. If I recall correctly he also had a role in modernizing their scouting department.

He's a Harvard grad too, if I recall. Very big brain guy. I was tap dancing with excitement when we landed him (and Chris Snow).

Feaster has brought in some very talented guys to rebuild the management side of things.

Avatar
#110 BurningSensation
March 30 2013, 08:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

Hey, disagree with me all you want, but do not put blatant lies on here.

Quote me and let's see.

I've stated probably 3G, including this thread that I'm satisfied with the return and the reasons why.

Actually read other's posts all the way through before you accuse them of posting the opposite of what they actually wrote.

Not happy with the process. Return was best they could get given the circumstances the ownership painted Feaster's into.

Appreciate if you don't lie about what I write again. I've at least given you that courtesy.

Mea culpa, I got my whiners mixed up. I'll quote the vintage directly next time.

Avatar
#111 the-wolf
March 30 2013, 08:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
BurningSensation wrote:

Mea culpa, I got my whiners mixed up. I'll quote the vintage directly next time.

Nothing like a backhanded apology:)

Avatar
#112 the-wolf
March 30 2013, 08:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Willi P wrote:

Probably not a bad decision to have a US college expert on staff considering that the last time Calgary won the cup in 1989, the following players on that team came through the US College/University system;

Perry Berezan Jamie Macoun Joe Mullen Joel Otto Joe Nieuwendyk Colin Patterson Paul Ranheim Gary Suter

The Flames in the 80's had the same approach.

Agree and that's my hope in the Iginla trade, that Weisbrod's has some insight here.

Difference between then and now though is that in the 80's the college ranks was fertile ground. Today, every team scouts it, just like there's no (or very few) secret corners left in Europe.

Avatar
#113 the-wolf
March 30 2013, 08:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

Nothing like a backhanded apology:)

Whiner, of course, meaning I disagree with you.

Avatar
#114 backburner
March 30 2013, 09:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Willi P wrote:

Nice comeback BB.

Anywho, what you stated is your opinion, which is what this forum is for. However your opinions are not facts.

The only people that know what truly happened are the people involved.

You blame Feaster because of Weisbrod. If you heard Ken King in interviews, The Fan, Sportsnet, it was a owner/president/GM group decision. Feaster could not sign off on this deal alone.

With regards to Jankowski, even though I don't agree with picking him, only time will tell if it was the right choice.

You assume that Feaster made the deal and then had to clear it with Iggy. Perhaps Feaster felt he had the right to pick any of the 4 teams' deals without Iggy's approval because those were the teams he chose. The only FACT here is that you or I will never truly know what happended in the room.

Have a rainbow day :)

That wasn't a comeback... I just think you should keep it respectful on here to peoples post's, or go to "Hockeybuzz" for the sub-intelligent trolling... even though you try to make me look like an idiot, your opinion's are just as valid as anyone else's on here...

I was merely going off of what was reported or confirmed by the media/ Flames, and qualifying that as a fact, not my opinion... but we can speculate all we want about how the trade "went down"... it doesn't matter.

I get your point about Feaster, fair enough.. The point I was trying to make is that Iggy was within his right to choose Pittsburgh, that wasn't handcuffing Feaster.

And as far as the return goes, whoever approved it.. Iggy shouldn't be faulted for that either.

Have a rainbow day? Thanks Mr. Wonka..

Avatar
#115 backburner
March 30 2013, 09:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
BurningSensation wrote:

I was with you up to #3

It's all fine and good to say that the only prospects the Flames 'should' have considered were X, Y, and Z , but they weren't on offer.

Knowing that, you can either walk away or take other prospects, you take the other prospects.

Fair enough dude.. I was just thinking, especially at the position the Flames have been in the last couple of years with a shallow prospect pool... take the guys that Central scouting has ranked in the top thirty... I hope I'm wrong with Weisbrod's scouting.. he did draft Gaudreau didn't he?

Avatar
#116 RossCreekNation
March 30 2013, 10:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I'm sure Feaster would have rather had Maatta, Pouliot, Despres or whomever. But if PIT knew they had Iggy in their back pocket (and trust me, THEY KNEW), then what fricken reason would they have to offer a bluechipper? The answer: NONE. THEY HAD NO REASON TO MAKE A BETTER OFFER.

I think your "analysis" is off base in that I don't think Feaster thinks he outsmarted anybody. He made an obvious bad deal because he was handcuffed and forced to do so, and then he tried to put on a happy face and act as though this was the good deal he had anticipated making.

He gets a pass on this one from me. Obviously, I'm not happy with the return, but it is what it is. And while Hanowski & Agostino are not bluechippers, I do think they have a shot at being middle 6ers. After all, David Moss was a 7th round pick & put up worse NCAA numbers than either. Not a homerun, but maybe 2 singles & a bullet for the upcoming draft.

Now, if Feaster can't get a homerun in a Bouwmeester trade, I'll be more disappointed than I am with this.

Avatar
#117 RossCreekNation
March 30 2013, 10:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Two more points...

1. I'm not a Feaster fan - I think his head should role for the O'Reilly fiasco, and would prefer to entrust a "re-tool" to somebody else (Ron Hextall, David McNab, Paul Fenton to name 3).

2. If landing these 2 prospects from the Penguins helps the Flames land their free agent teammates - Yale's Antoine Laganiere & St. Cloud State's Drew LeBlanc - then it could be like getting 4 (middling) prospects & a 1st. Still not a homerun, but a stocking of the middle tier of prospects at least.

Avatar
#118 Franko J
March 30 2013, 10:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Doftras

I agree winning sure does change people's perspectives and prevailing attitudes. I guess you don't have to look any further than Montreal and Anaheim. Both teams where picked by most of the "experts" as struggling to make the playoffs.

Last season each team did struggle to find consistency in their game. However as few tweaks here and there and look where they are as of today. Battling for a good playoff position. Most notably strong defensive play in their own end and excellent goaltending has provided them with a resurgent seasons.

Unfortunately for Flames these are two areas where they have been horrible this season. As a matter of fact the defensive coverage and play in there own zone has slowly deteriorated over the past few seasons.

By trading Iginla and the deterioration of Kiprusoff's goaltending, these last 15 games should be open auditions for who has the character and will to be back next season.

The most interesting thing about the whole Iginla "circus" is as a Flames fan is seeing or watching who if any player is going to take charge and point this team in the right direction. While in the past, there were limited opportunities for the Backlund, Glencross, Giordano, and maybe Tanguay to make an impact the excuse was it was Iginla's team or Iginla's lockeroom. Well the guy is no longer here and now it is gut check time for these guys to step up and make a difference. Who on this team or the lockeroom is ready to change the face of this franchise?

Avatar
#119 tcs236
March 30 2013, 11:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
suba steve wrote:

OK, here's what I think happened. Iggy made it known that he wanted to go to PIT and ONLY PIT.

Flames say, "you gotta at least allow us to hold mock negotiations with 3 more teams to strengthen our negotiating position".

Iggy says "sure", so Feaster throws in BOS, CHI, LA.

Flames use these 3 teams in attempt to improve their bargaining position with PIT, and in a last desperation move, Feaster almost signs off on the BOS offer in an attempt to get a sweeter offer from PIT. That desperation move probably failed, as no high level D prospect was included in the final deal.

How did PIT know they didn't need to sweeten? Loose lips, players talk, cat's outa the bag, take it or leave it.

I 100% agree!

Avatar
#120 McRib
March 31 2013, 01:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

If St. Cloud wins tomorrow we will have the two best players on two of the four teams in the Frozen Four!!

Weisbrod clearly knows College players just by looking at Johnny Gaudreau/Jon Gillies and in my opinion we might have just gotten two players who were severely flying under the radar by the media.

Honestly some may need more convincing but these two are still playing while more storied programs and prospects are at home!! From what I have seen with continued development these players are both at worst bottom six NHLers down the road. But at least from Hanowski I think top six is not out of the question at all, if he improves his skating.

I like this trade more and more with every game these two get closer to leading their teams to an NCAA championship!!

Avatar
#121 McRib
March 31 2013, 01:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Victoria Flames Fan

Simon Despres, Brock Nelson, Rickard Rakell, Tanner Pearson are all almost locks to be NHLers!!! Hahah. And lets look closer for a second at the players who went just after these 30th picks in each respective year in the second round....

Loui Eriksson, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Carle, Shea Weber, Dave Bolland, Bryan Bickell, David Booth, James Neal, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Paul Stastny, Mason Raymond, Guillaume Latendresse, Jamie McGinn, Shawn Matthias, Milan Lucic and Jeff Petry. P.K. Subban, Wayne Simmonds, T.J. Galiardi. Vyacheslav Voynov, Roman Josi, Derek Stepan and Travis Hamonic. Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Clifford, Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Elliott. Devante Smith-Pelly, Calle Jarnkrok, Tyler Toffoli, Martin Marincin, Ryan Spooner and Jason Zucker, Brandon Saad, Ryan Sproul, Boone Jenner, Tomas Jurco, Ty Rattie, Sebastian Collberg, Nicolas Kerdiles, Cristoval Nieves, Martin Frk.

Honestly the second round has produced some absolute gems, not to mention that this is the most stacked draft since 2003 when (Loui Eriksson, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Carle and Shea Weber) all fell out of the first..... Not to mention guys like Mike Green going 29th in their respective years.

Avatar
#122 Captain Ron
March 31 2013, 02:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@McRib

@McRib

Thanks for posting this encouraging information about these guys!!

I'll take the hard working underdog over the prima donna any day too!

Avatar
#123 Franko J
March 31 2013, 03:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Look no further than Letestu with Columbus. Great wheels and took some time to develop. Like Curtis Glencross, players all develop at different rates. Unfortunately most have an expiry date when they go from prospect level to career minor league player. Greg Nemisz, Leland Irving, Matt Pelech and not to mention Kris Chucko are just a few of those examples.

Someone mention earlier the reason Wiesbrod was brought in was his expertise with college players. With a little patience and time who knows what can happen.

If you think about it where is the need or rush to obtain or trade for the next centre for Iginla. The irony is that if Calgary does continue to under perform and keep losing it will be very likely they might be able to draft the "#1" center that Iginla never had the chance to play with. Who knows in the next few years all Flames fans will be saying is we have the center now where is the snippet or power forward.

Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking but this trade now provides this team the opportunity for a fresh start. I have seen firsthand where Iginla, Kiprusoff, Bouwmeester, Tanguay, etc. has lead us to. Turning the page is going to be painful but I'm looking forward to seeing in the next few years who can make this team a contender once again. Surely the previous core didn't provide too many results, let us find out if these new players can do better.

Like I have in the past, for the longest time the Flames had taken the approach and mentality of building around two players, now is the time to build a team committed on winning.

Avatar
#124 Kurt
March 31 2013, 08:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Anyone see Taylor hall run vancouvers show last night? He single handedly beat the Canucks. It could have been 10-0

My point is that we need to quit deluding ourselves with middling NCAA prospects and retools. We need a superstar. Sigh. We literally have none. Do we honestly think 1 single player will go to the Olympics next year? I can't even think of 1 with a snowballs chance in hell. That's sad.

A few more beauty trades like Iggy should do the trick!

Avatar
#125 bill
March 31 2013, 09:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

This is by far the best article I have read on the whole situation. I find it quite interesting that each side is throwing the other under the bus. Feaster pretty much said Iggy had the last call, and Iggy is trying to play the Mr. nice guy role.

It's clear Iggy wanted to go to Pitt the whole time, and the list was attempt to drive the price of poker up on Shero. He's too smart for that, and pretty much low balled the Flames.

Feaster is a complete joke, and making us look more and more like the Islanders west each week. Yes he got us out of cap jail, but he's burning a lot of bridges with his antics.

I guess we'll wait and see how these guys look, but I too would rather have an established prospect than the low first round pick.

I don't understand what the love in is with Mr. Harvard. He sure likes to tell everybody he went there. Who are all these "college prospects" the Bruins have/had in their line up?

I am fine with him wanting to look at more than the just the WHL, but eventually one of these guys has to crack the line up no?

Why does he have the need to say so and so is the BEST not in the NHL all the time? Cervenka, Ramo, and even poor Jankowski? Maybe Harvard should check his vastly inflated ego a little and be a tad more realistic? Just a thought..

Avatar
#126 Alt
March 31 2013, 10:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Could be a catch22 situation for Calgary after sending Iginla to Pittsburgh.

Other teams in the mix have got to be looking at PITT as the team to beat.Evaluating the talent they will need to beat Pitt ,might cause some teams in the East to lose interest in going after player,s at the deadline.

If Calgary is indeed looking to dump some more contract,s ,making Pitt a powerhouse may have an effect on how teams in the East move forward

Avatar
#127 Franko J
March 31 2013, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
McRib wrote:

Simon Despres, Brock Nelson, Rickard Rakell, Tanner Pearson are all almost locks to be NHLers!!! Hahah. And lets look closer for a second at the players who went just after these 30th picks in each respective year in the second round....

Loui Eriksson, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Carle, Shea Weber, Dave Bolland, Bryan Bickell, David Booth, James Neal, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Paul Stastny, Mason Raymond, Guillaume Latendresse, Jamie McGinn, Shawn Matthias, Milan Lucic and Jeff Petry. P.K. Subban, Wayne Simmonds, T.J. Galiardi. Vyacheslav Voynov, Roman Josi, Derek Stepan and Travis Hamonic. Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Clifford, Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Elliott. Devante Smith-Pelly, Calle Jarnkrok, Tyler Toffoli, Martin Marincin, Ryan Spooner and Jason Zucker, Brandon Saad, Ryan Sproul, Boone Jenner, Tomas Jurco, Ty Rattie, Sebastian Collberg, Nicolas Kerdiles, Cristoval Nieves, Martin Frk.

Honestly the second round has produced some absolute gems, not to mention that this is the most stacked draft since 2003 when (Loui Eriksson, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Carle and Shea Weber) all fell out of the first..... Not to mention guys like Mike Green going 29th in their respective years.

I agree the second round produces some "gems". Again Calgary is without one. On your list it would have been interesting to see if the Flames would have chosen any of the players above. (If they would have retained their picks). Definitely the Flames did miss out on a number of players who could have helped them now.

Avatar
#128 Veggie Dog
March 31 2013, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Alt wrote:

Could be a catch22 situation for Calgary after sending Iginla to Pittsburgh.

Other teams in the mix have got to be looking at PITT as the team to beat.Evaluating the talent they will need to beat Pitt ,might cause some teams in the East to lose interest in going after player,s at the deadline.

If Calgary is indeed looking to dump some more contract,s ,making Pitt a powerhouse may have an effect on how teams in the East move forward

Forgive the nitpicking, but I have avoided commenting many times in the past. Could you please learn the difference between a comma and an apostrophe ?

Avatar
#129 dotfras
March 31 2013, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Kurt

I'm sure Cervenka or Hudler will play for the Czechs.

I think Backlund will at least get a look from Sweden.

Baertschi could make the Swiss team.

It's time to get rid of our middling, ageing talent & dig for gold.

Perfect timing, as the draft is a good one, & there are a few teams with the same "win now" mentality Calgary HAD. Hopefully Feaster can manage some SMART moves over the next few days.

Avatar
#130 Veggie Dog
March 31 2013, 11:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
dotfras wrote:

@Kurt

I'm sure Cervenka or Hudler will play for the Czechs.

I think Backlund will at least get a look from Sweden.

Baertschi could make the Swiss team.

It's time to get rid of our middling, ageing talent & dig for gold.

Perfect timing, as the draft is a good one, & there are a few teams with the same "win now" mentality Calgary HAD. Hopefully Feaster can manage some SMART moves over the next few days.

I agree. I didn't know what to think of the return for Iggy because i don't follow/ care about NCAA, but these two seem like decent, though not spectacular prospects. And their free agent team mates that might be enticed by friends on the team and the promise of lots of ice time on a dreadful flames squad might turn out okay.

Also, 28- 30th pick can turn into something good, not a home run, but a decent chance.

Score another first rounder for JBO? Maybe some other miracle plus our own lottery pick? Sounds not too bad as a start to turning around this thing.

Avatar
#131 Alt
March 31 2013, 01:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Veggie Dog wrote:

Forgive the nitpicking, but I have avoided commenting many times in the past. Could you please learn the difference between a comma and an apostrophe ?

You're right vdog. I wil lwork on it. By the way,it's nit-picking,not nitpicking.

Avatar
#132 dougtheslug
March 31 2013, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Looks like Iggy's Stanley just got a little harder to come by - Crosby out indefinitely with broken jaw.

Avatar
#133 Kevin R
March 31 2013, 03:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
dougtheslug wrote:

Looks like Iggy's Stanley just got a little harder to come by - Crosby out indefinitely with broken jaw.

Good, better return for us.

Comments are closed for this article.