POST-GAME: #SpoilTheOil

Vintage Flame
April 14 2013 02:50AM

 

Today started off much the same as any day when it's the Battle of Alberta. A conversation with a few of my friends that just happen to be Oilers fans (What can I say, I'm a charitable guy). The conversation involved much of the same banter that inevitably comes when the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers square off.

What really stuck in mind this time was when it was made pefectly clear to me that, "After that 8-2 beatdown, Hell would freeze over before the Flames were going to win this game tonight." I didn't really know if I should get too in depth on this one, after all, Calgary was dressing six, yes SIX, AHL minor leaguers tonight, and the Oil was bringing the full measure of the "draft pack".

Well later that day the snow began to fall here in Cowtown; and it kept falling. Could it be? Could Hell actually be freezing over? Let's see how it played out...

The Rundown

Well before Oilers fans could settle into their lazyboy recliners, with their Red Bull and Pork Rinds, they were down 1-0. TJ Brodie has been one of the few shining stars of the Flames this season; 26 seconds into this one, he would show us again why.

As the Oil tried to clear the zone, Brodie would jump in and beat the puck to the blueline. Keeping the play alive, he would make his way to the high slot before dishing the pass to Sven Baertschi. Sven would make the cross crease pass to a waiting Mikael Backlund, who would waste no time putting the puck over Re-Habby's shoulder, while Nik was still trying to remember where he stashed his wineskin.

The celebration would be short lived as Ryan Jones would steal the puck behind the Flames net. He would then find an unmarked Lennert Petrell in front of Joey MacDonald. The unmarked Petrell would get the Oilers first mark on the scoreboard and this one was back on equal terms

Shortly after, the Oilers thought they had taken the lead on the heels of "Yak City". The only problem is that someone should have told Yakupov that you're not supposed to or are allowed to kick the puck into the net. The review went to Toronto and they agreed, no goal. However, reports during the intermission were that Toronto FC were waiting for the end of the Oilers season so that they could sign Nail for the summer. They would only have to wait about 40 more minutes.

Calgary out-shot Edmonton 15-11 on the strength of three power-play opportunities. The Flames haven't much to brag about this season but their PP has been solid; hanging around the top-10 of the NHL all season. The Oilers late parade to the penalty box had the potential to come back and bite them.

Early in the second TJ Brodie would pick right back up what he started in the first. Starting the Flames PP rush, he would spring Tim Jackman up the left side. Jackman going hard to the net, wouldn't score, but a pinching Dennis Wideman would be Johnny-on-the-spot to jam home the rebound. Unlike Yakupov, he would use his stick, so the goal would stand and the Flames were back on top.

Your Calgary Flames wouldn't look back after that. It was time for the kids to have some fun.

Still just five minutes into the middle frame, Dennis Wideman would recognize an ill-timed line change for the Oilers. He would throw the puck up the boards to a waiting Lee Stempniak, who got just enough of the puck to tip it into Edmonton's zone. Ryan Smyth would be first back into the play and would do his best impression of a helicopter do its impression of a Nail Yakupov celly.

By the time Smytty spun his way out of the play, Sven Baertschi would pick up the puck and snap it passed a soon to be passed out Khabibulin. Though Sven's first of the year was unassisted, it was all started by the Flames picking up early on the Oilers seemingly cascading errors.

Shots were even in the second, but the Flames put up two on the board and were in full control of the game.

By the time the third got under way, there was one team that was just paying out the motions; and it wasn't the southern team. A loss for the Oil dropped their playoff chances from 2.3% to 0.3%. If it wasn't fun enough for Flames fans watching what turned out to be a Svensational game, it was time to give this win...

MAXPOWER

 

That's was the kids first of his NHL career and it was a beauty way to score it. He may not score a lot of those, but what a way to follow up his first NHL assist.

Why the Flames won...

There may not be much left to play for this season, other than the draft pick, but going forward, the Flames need to know what they have coming up in the system. Plain and simple, that's why these kids are up here; well that a whack load of injuries to their regulars.

That being said, the standing mean nothing in a game like this. The Oil are your provincial rivals and you just can't lose to them. Tonight was redemption for the last time these two met, and it had to have a different outcome.

That was the ending to this story that was the 2013 Battle of Alberta, it was up to the players to write the final chapter to make it all make sense.

It may not have had quite the same scoring quantity, but the quality was the sweeter for the fans and for your Calgary Flames. The goals from Baertschi and from Reinhart will be of far more importance to management than if they had dropped an eight ball on the Oilers.

Why did the Flames win? Because six kids from the Abbotsford Heat are expected to make a difference for this club in the years to come, while the Oil's beloved "Draft Pack" are firmly entrenched in what the Oilers are all about , which after this game, adds up to  just a whole lot of.... Nothin.

Because the Flames and Oilers went head-to-head with their back-ups and Calgary's played like he didn't want to miss out on what this team was going to be about next year; while Re-Habby played liked he didn't want to miss out on last call.

Red Warrior

There are so many possible choices to go with tonight.

Do we go with TJ Brodie, who started it all off tonight with key plays to give the Flames the lead on two ocassions? Maybe Sven Baertschi, who played 17 minutes and registered his first two point game with a goal and a helper?

What about Max Reinhart? The fact that his first of his career was the one that rubbed salt in the wound that was the Oilers playoff chances bleeding out like a Kosher ritual; that has to be good for his first Warrior honours, right?

Joey MacDonald perhaps, in one game, erased the #MacBackup tag, and is now possibly in the running as #MacStarter. Time and time again in this game foiling the Oil, sucking the life out of Edmonton's game and all their fans that were forced to watch the debacle unfold before their very eyes.

Nay.. Tonight we'll just give it to the whole team. In one of the most complete games they've played this year, it was a night that meant nothing to the rest of the NHL, but everything to two cities and their fans that love to hate each other.

Sum It Up

I can't say I'll be disappointed if the Flames lose every game from here on out; they played well tonight and they did it with an AHL lineup against Shelbyvill and all it's hopefuls.

The Oilers are obviously taking the cliche, "Hope springs eternal", a little too literal and as a Flames fan, I (as are the rest of you most likely) couldn't be happier.

It's amazing how a game like this can wipe away the bad memories of something like losing thirteen straight on the road. Hell, now they've won two in a row... #GoingForIt??

It's been fun to see the kids come up and not just play, but play well. From Horak, to Reinhart and Baertschi, even Carson, I don't have anything negative to say about the way they have played as a group, and as a team.

... And then there's this!

Wanye, Wanye, Wanye, you really asked for it!
What got into you? Surely you must have realized early in the season that the Oilers' roster was as full of holes as Swiss cheese? That the Flames have had the Oilers' number almost for ever. And I say this as a long time Oilers' fan.
What is so hurtful is that the Calgary rebuild that started 10 days ago is now ahead of the Oilers' rebuild that started five seasons ago. Jay Feaster will now smile and not worry about having to wander aimlessly in the desert as some other team that we know will continue to do.
Orchestra, cue the music...Turn out the lights, the party is over.

Things will continue to get more interesting for fans, as it seems they are going to be treated to yet another new face.

With St.Cloud being eliminated from the semi-finals of the Frozen Four, Newly aquired, and signed, Ben Hanowski is making his way to Calgary and from all reports, it looks like they are going to give the kid a chance to play.

I think that's a pretty exciting thing, and so I'm looking forward to that. No word on when he officially gets into the lineup, but I have to think Feaster and Hartley won't wait long, as they will want to parlay some of that intensity he'll have from the NCAA tournament and see what he can bring to the big stage.

Maybe he gets to make his debut in front of all of us, as your Calgary Flames take on the Minnesota Wild Monday at the Dome. Gametime is 7:00 pm. Catch it live on SNET-W or the Fan 960.

E42f2ca09dfb26046c3060ff46473aff
Vintage Flame is a Calgary based sports junkie that prefers to call hockey a "religion" rather than an addiction. He believes there are two types of hockey fans. Those who cheer for the Flames, and those who don't understand the sport yet. Follow Vintage_Flame on Twitter
Avatar
#1 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
April 14 2013, 03:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Man, loved the win, but it seems like Flames may end up with the fifth or sixth pick if they keep this up. Considering Sean Monohan will still be available, I am not too worried. A heart and soul, two-way center like that may just be what this team needs to kick off the rebuild and add to what we got (which was on full display tonight, btw).

Avatar
#2 Justin Azevedo
April 14 2013, 03:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
5
props

hahaha fuck you edmonton. I can't wait to write the next game day post.

Avatar
#3 Franko J
April 14 2013, 03:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

Man, loved the win, but it seems like Flames may end up with the fifth or sixth pick if they keep this up. Considering Sean Monohan will still be available, I am not too worried. A heart and soul, two-way center like that may just be what this team needs to kick off the rebuild and add to what we got (which was on full display tonight, btw).

I think Monahan is the sleeper pick in the top 10 myself. Flames have a strong desire for players with character and hockey sense, he exemplifies those two qualities. I just like the fact that this team played hard tonight, gave an honest effort and played with spirit. As a fan all I ask for is the players to have pride in wearing the flaming "C". Tonight they earned the victory with their effort.

Avatar
#4 KetchupKid
April 14 2013, 03:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin

There are some tough teams down the stretch. I'd put my money on a top three pick still. It sure is nice to see them going down like warriors though.

Avatar
#5 Willi P
April 14 2013, 08:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Justin Azevedo wrote:

hahaha fuck you edmonton. I can't wait to write the next game day post.

Jeez Justin, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. Laughed my ass off at your comment.

Avatar
#6 Willi P
April 14 2013, 08:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

From the game day post;

#235 Willi PApril 14 2013, 08:03AM

+1 0 props

Mikey wrote:

Enjoy them while you can Flamers.

Willi P wrote; Yup. That's original. Been hearing the same thing for years and years. Say it enough, it might come true (or not)

Something to cheer you up;

http://mcubed.net/nhl/edm/cal.shtml

Avatar
#7 yomamen
April 14 2013, 08:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Sweet victory for our beloved Flames. Ruin another pathetic season of Shelbivillians is cherry on top.

There were long discussion here about who is better, if RNH or Backs in previous blogs. I agree that RNH has higher ceiling that Back, but he should. He was no.1 overall. But I am happy that Backs shown them in this game, why we are so fond of him (and Sven, TJ and Max as well)

Unsung hero of this match for me is Jackman. I like this guy. He is big, strong, can skate (not flashy but can), and can shoot and pass the puck (simply he can play hockey game). Something that players like McGrattan or P3L or any other 4th line enforcer can not. He will never be a star player, but put him on a line with somebody that can actually play hockey and he can help this team a lot.

Great game, but it is time to lose few more games

Avatar
#8 seve927
April 14 2013, 08:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
KetchupKid wrote:

There are some tough teams down the stretch. I'd put my money on a top three pick still. It sure is nice to see them going down like warriors though.

Min twice, Detroit, Nashville, Anaheim before ending in St. Louis and Chicago. The next 5 are pretty winnable.

I do think Monahan is another solid pick, or even Max Domi. Or else Kippers got to come through with some performances that show the value of not trading him.

Avatar
#9 ChinookArch
April 14 2013, 09:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@seve927

This is not an easy schedule for the Flames especially with 5 - 6 kids in the line up: MON, 15 APR 2013WILDFLAMES WED, 17 APR 2013RED WINGSFLAMES FRI, 19 APR 2013DUCKSFLAMES SUN, 21 APR 2013FLAMESWILD TUE, 23 APR 2013FLAMESPREDATORS THU, 25 APR 2013FLAMESBLUES FRI, 26 APR 2013FLAMESBLACKHAWKS

The Wild are actually good at hockey now, the Wings are battling for 8th, the Flames don't seem to match up well against the Ducks and the Blackhawks are elite. I haven't looked at the Eastern conference, but I'd be surprised if the competition was this stiff for the basement dwellers there.

Avatar
#10 First Name Unidentified
April 14 2013, 10:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

EAT SH!T EDMONTON!! You will be at the bottom for years to come, it's not over yet.

I normally don't do this, but I'm going to call out Rex Libris. Where were you Mr Libris when your Oilers were getting raped last night? You were nowhere to be seen among these boards? You had a grand total of 1 comment and that too was made way before the game even started! I went back and counted, you had a total of 54 comments on the previous BOA thread written by Jason Gregor.

I have been a FN citizen since almost the beginning and I have never name-called anybody on this forum and never will again, except for this one time. I think you are a closet Oil fan. You troll the Flames boards all the time and write posts about how the Flames should improve going forward, bla bla bla. I don't understand why Kent and the other mods let you write about the Flames, or let you write here at all! I have challenged you a little in the past, about a year ago, but couldn't resist it here. I think you should stay away from our boards and troll the Oilernation.

I may get piled on for writing this but it has been brewing inside me for a long time. I don't think you add anything useful to FN besides bringing your biased opinions on here.

THERE! Got it out, feel much better now.

Avatar
#11 suba steve
April 14 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

@First Name Unidentified

Rex, "I think you are a closet Oil fan."

Rex has been out of that closet for, well forever. I for one, invite him to stick around for the rebuild, and beyond.

Am I the only one who would have been even more happy if the Flames had lost and been tied for second last, rather then being 2 points out of 7th or 8th last?

Avatar
#12 Brent G.
April 14 2013, 10:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

@First Name Unidentified

"You had a grand total of 1 comment and that too was made way before the game even started! I went back and counted, you had a total of 54 comments on the previous BOA thread written by Jason Gregor."

My god man, go outside and enjoy the day. Who wastes there time on that? I actually find Rex's comments and articles well written and thought out. He reminds me of Kent's writing from 8 years ago (I can't remember the name of the blog before Matchsticks, anyone?). He is unbiased, gives great insight, speaks from experience and I look forward to reading anything he writes.

Avatar
#13 Scary Gary
April 14 2013, 10:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@suba steve

Yeah Rex doesn't mince words, he's a self-admitted oiler fan. I enjoy his comments most of the time, even if they are a bit negative (realistic); it's nice to get a sobering opinion from a non-flames fan.

I wasn't on board with his entire rebuild plan though, a better one was posted in the comments (Chambers).

Avatar
#14 schevvy
April 14 2013, 10:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props

@suba steve

Yeah, you're one of the few (on here) who was disappointed with the win. Beating the Oil is always good, especially in the fashion that they did.

Avatar
#15 Karimeeloronta
April 14 2013, 10:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Whoah, First Name Unidentified! I get your point, Rex's posts drive me nuts too , but he ain't a troll. Obscenely biased oiler fan, but he makes the odd valid point. And I do mean odd . No call to banish him though, just sit back as we try to lose for the draft and reluctantly knock around the blue helmets today and for ever more.

Avatar
#16 seve927
April 14 2013, 11:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
ChinookArch wrote:

This is not an easy schedule for the Flames especially with 5 - 6 kids in the line up: MON, 15 APR 2013WILDFLAMES WED, 17 APR 2013RED WINGSFLAMES FRI, 19 APR 2013DUCKSFLAMES SUN, 21 APR 2013FLAMESWILD TUE, 23 APR 2013FLAMESPREDATORS THU, 25 APR 2013FLAMESBLUES FRI, 26 APR 2013FLAMESBLACKHAWKS

The Wild are actually good at hockey now, the Wings are battling for 8th, the Flames don't seem to match up well against the Ducks and the Blackhawks are elite. I haven't looked at the Eastern conference, but I'd be surprised if the competition was this stiff for the basement dwellers there.

Oh, by no means easy. But I could definitely see riding some good percentages to 4 or 5 more wins this year. I'm ok either way, we're off the wagon being pulled by Iginla (buried in 4 feet of mud). And if it's on the back of excellent play by the kids, even better.

Avatar
#17 Dank
April 14 2013, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
First Name Unidentified wrote:

EAT SH!T EDMONTON!! You will be at the bottom for years to come, it's not over yet.

I normally don't do this, but I'm going to call out Rex Libris. Where were you Mr Libris when your Oilers were getting raped last night? You were nowhere to be seen among these boards? You had a grand total of 1 comment and that too was made way before the game even started! I went back and counted, you had a total of 54 comments on the previous BOA thread written by Jason Gregor.

I have been a FN citizen since almost the beginning and I have never name-called anybody on this forum and never will again, except for this one time. I think you are a closet Oil fan. You troll the Flames boards all the time and write posts about how the Flames should improve going forward, bla bla bla. I don't understand why Kent and the other mods let you write about the Flames, or let you write here at all! I have challenged you a little in the past, about a year ago, but couldn't resist it here. I think you should stay away from our boards and troll the Oilernation.

I may get piled on for writing this but it has been brewing inside me for a long time. I don't think you add anything useful to FN besides bringing your biased opinions on here.

THERE! Got it out, feel much better now.

Rex isn't a closet Oil fan, he's a real one. He also seems like a pretty knowledgable hockey fan and a pretty ok dude, at least if you can get over the fact that he's an Oilers fan :). TBH, I really respect his posts and articles, because it's nice to have the perspective of an "outsider", as long as it's not some crazed fanatic troll. Gives you a more realistic outlook on your team. This is even more insightful these days because Rex has gone through a rebuild (and still going thru one haha).

Oilers suck, Flames rule.

Backlund was awesome. I wonder what kind of contract the Flames will resign him to. Hopefully they can lock him up in the offseason.

Avatar
#18 Scary Gary
April 14 2013, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ChinookArch

Agreed, we might win two-three (maybe preds, wild) of our last seven, that being said it was awesome sticking it to the oil on HNIC.

Avatar
#19 Kent Wilson
April 14 2013, 11:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Re: Rex Libris

He's an Oilers fan and longtime commenter from OilersNation. he submits article now and then for various sites across the Network and contributes here in the comments because he's curious about things beyond his own borders.

Avatar
#20 First Name Unidentified
April 14 2013, 11:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
First Name Unidentified wrote:

EAT SH!T EDMONTON!! You will be at the bottom for years to come, it's not over yet.

I normally don't do this, but I'm going to call out Rex Libris. Where were you Mr Libris when your Oilers were getting raped last night? You were nowhere to be seen among these boards? You had a grand total of 1 comment and that too was made way before the game even started! I went back and counted, you had a total of 54 comments on the previous BOA thread written by Jason Gregor.

I have been a FN citizen since almost the beginning and I have never name-called anybody on this forum and never will again, except for this one time. I think you are a closet Oil fan. You troll the Flames boards all the time and write posts about how the Flames should improve going forward, bla bla bla. I don't understand why Kent and the other mods let you write about the Flames, or let you write here at all! I have challenged you a little in the past, about a year ago, but couldn't resist it here. I think you should stay away from our boards and troll the Oilernation.

I may get piled on for writing this but it has been brewing inside me for a long time. I don't think you add anything useful to FN besides bringing your biased opinions on here.

THERE! Got it out, feel much better now.

I meant to say "I think you are a closet Flames fan"

I don't know about the rest of the folks on here but I hardly ever go to the ON, or any other board besides FN because I don't care about the other teams' boards. I only care about the Flames. I have never posted on other boards besides FN unless it is a BOA thread which gets posted on both pages. I don't go to ON and suggest how to rebuild their team, or go on their boards and claim how much better Backlund is compared to RNH, or whatever!! I think we have enough good posters on FN with some very valuable and useful opinions.

Anyway, if because of this I get banned from FN, I want to let Kent know that I really enjoy this site, the opinions and interaction. I spend a lot of time on FN and it was good while it lasted. I will still visit FN and read all the posts and comments. And I'm getting dumped on as expected!

Rex, I am helping you find out how popular you actually are here on FN which kind of disappoints me...

Avatar
#21 Kent Wilson
April 14 2013, 12:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@First Name Unidentified

You won't be banned for something like this. No worries. But people are gonna disagree with you on this.

I like Rex. He tries to contribute as both a writer and commenter. He's not your cup of tea and that's cool, but he's not going anywhere.

Avatar
#22 Kent Wilson
April 14 2013, 12:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props

Now, let's get back to laughing at the Oilers.

Avatar
#23 Franko J
April 14 2013, 12:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I missed the intermission segments with the CBC panel, I was curious to see if they are still ripping the Flames? At the time they stated the obvious that Calgary doesn't have any depth in the organization and were a team on the decline. Yes the team has not been that good and this season has had its major struggles, but what I saw from last night's game that there are some players to build around. Not to mention that given the opportunity the young guys like Horak, Baertschi, Reinhart, and especially Brodie have made this team worth watching. I just like the way they battled and competed last night and I hope it continues. I said earlier that after the trade deadline they would be lucky to win 3 games. I have to eat Crow and admit that they are playing better now than before the deadline and the young guys have played better than the veteran's presently on the team.

Avatar
#24 RKD
April 14 2013, 12:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Last night proved that will beats skill. The Oiler kids were developed in a toxic environment and a losing culture. After a while it becomes a norm and you start to accept it.

The Flames have a showed a lot of heart, even when they lost the games to the Canucks they outplayed and outchanced them.

Beware Oilers, The Svengali and Maxwell's Silverhammer have arrived!

Avatar
#25 Franko J
April 14 2013, 12:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
KetchupKid wrote:

There are some tough teams down the stretch. I'd put my money on a top three pick still. It sure is nice to see them going down like warriors though.

I like the fact that they are not going meekly into the off season. As I said time and time again it is not where you pick in the draft, it is picking the right player in the draft.

While the playoffs are out of reach for this team I like the fact the coaching staff has instilled in the players never quit attitude. The guys are seeing with a good work ethic and playing the coaches system that good things will happen and games can be won.

Avatar
#26 BurningSensation
April 14 2013, 12:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
RKD wrote:

Last night proved that will beats skill. The Oiler kids were developed in a toxic environment and a losing culture. After a while it becomes a norm and you start to accept it.

The Flames have a showed a lot of heart, even when they lost the games to the Canucks they outplayed and outchanced them.

Beware Oilers, The Svengali and Maxwell's Silverhammer have arrived!

'Svengali' and 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' are both AWESOME

MSH is a bit longish for nickname though.

Avatar
#27 FireOnIce
April 14 2013, 12:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I thought it was awesome on the game thread that ALL of the Oilers fans were calling for 8-2 again, and saying RNH would have a hat trick, and that Hall/Schultz/Yak would all score.

Then, when they were down, it was time to tear the team apart again and fire everyone. They're a group of fragile, sad individuals, and their hockey team can't even beat an AHL team.

Again, in the immortal words of Nelson Muntz: "HA HA". Eat sh!t you clowns.

Avatar
#28 Jibmeister
April 14 2013, 12:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Missed the game, but when I got home and saw that Aliu played 15 minutes, and the Flames still won 4-1, I laughed. Always good beating the Oilers.

Avatar
#29 loudogYYC
April 14 2013, 01:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I love watching the Flames play well, the result barely matters when they all pull it together. The result last night though, was great for so many reasons.

Watching the Oilers lose 5 in a row after a huge 8-2 win and seeing their entire 1st line in a 5 game slump in the final stretch is just hilarious.

Avatar
#30 kittensandcookies
April 14 2013, 01:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Oilers played awful last night. No sense of urgency at all. Hall and Yakupov showed up and everybody else must be thinking about a Vegas trip at the end of the season. What a joke.

Avatar
#31 Kevin R
April 14 2013, 02:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Last comment on the Rex storm. I like Rex, I have no problem bickering with him here but I would like to poke a little fun at him. He seems to have that parenting/preachy attitude toward us poor souls because what the Oilers have been doing the last 4 years. He does come accross as thinking the Oiler style rebuild is the right way for many valid reasons & we need to go that route too or else. Kent, I would love to see one of the FN writers do a nice analysis of what is wrong with the Oiler rebuild & what the Oilers should do to get back to respectability.

Enough of that. What a bitter sweet victory. As badly as I want a top 4 pick this year(that would assure us of min. Barkov) wow, to see our young players come up & outperform the Oilers Fab 5 is just wow. I am hoping Reinhart is going to prove all those that say his ceiling is a 3rd line centre all wrong. This stint up with the Flames will be so huge for this kid for next year. I'm stoked about it. This is what we have been yearning for the last 3 years. Some young talented players trying to make their name in the best league in the world. That was never going to happen as long as Iggy & JBO & even Kipper were taking most of the minutes on the stage. Here is a bold bold what if prediction. If Feaster parlays some of our cap space & late 1st rounders into top RFA's & suddenly the mix finds a bit of magic next season(like better than average goaltending, Brodie playing the way he has, Sven & Max & Backs playing great, stuff like that). Can you imagine we shock the hockey world by making the playoffs next year & Brodie is suddenly looked at as our version of Karlsson. That is why we need to ink Brodie to a 4 year deal @ 12 million & Backlund to a 4 year deal @ 10 mill. this summer. Its sure nice to stand at the edge & see a future again.

Avatar
#32 ngthagg
April 14 2013, 02:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

This is what a rebuild should look like. I just wish we had given this kind of opportunity to the kids a bit earlier, rather than playing McGrattan/Begin types.

Avatar
#33 Justme
April 14 2013, 03:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
First Name Unidentified wrote:

I meant to say "I think you are a closet Flames fan"

I don't know about the rest of the folks on here but I hardly ever go to the ON, or any other board besides FN because I don't care about the other teams' boards. I only care about the Flames. I have never posted on other boards besides FN unless it is a BOA thread which gets posted on both pages. I don't go to ON and suggest how to rebuild their team, or go on their boards and claim how much better Backlund is compared to RNH, or whatever!! I think we have enough good posters on FN with some very valuable and useful opinions.

Anyway, if because of this I get banned from FN, I want to let Kent know that I really enjoy this site, the opinions and interaction. I spend a lot of time on FN and it was good while it lasted. I will still visit FN and read all the posts and comments. And I'm getting dumped on as expected!

Rex, I am helping you find out how popular you actually are here on FN which kind of disappoints me...

I used to appreciate Rex's comments, but have found over the past little while he has become smug and showing more bias than before. I do know what you mean. However, he had his right to post all that he wants. I can honestly say that I have thought about whether his articles and biased opinions are worth my time to read. In short, I know what you mean, but he has the right to post his opinions.

Avatar
#34 seve927
April 14 2013, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Justme wrote:

I used to appreciate Rex's comments, but have found over the past little while he has become smug and showing more bias than before. I do know what you mean. However, he had his right to post all that he wants. I can honestly say that I have thought about whether his articles and biased opinions are worth my time to read. In short, I know what you mean, but he has the right to post his opinions.

Exactly. He is so Oiler-centric I can't figure out whether he's serious or not most of the time. Every single thing that ever happens seems to just be a recurrence of a moment in recent Oiler history. I've pretty much stopped reading his stuff, although I really liked the piece on drafting the first-round troika. Those three draft picks DO NOT a rebuild make.

Avatar
#35 clyde
April 14 2013, 04:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Kevin R wrote:

Last comment on the Rex storm. I like Rex, I have no problem bickering with him here but I would like to poke a little fun at him. He seems to have that parenting/preachy attitude toward us poor souls because what the Oilers have been doing the last 4 years. He does come accross as thinking the Oiler style rebuild is the right way for many valid reasons & we need to go that route too or else. Kent, I would love to see one of the FN writers do a nice analysis of what is wrong with the Oiler rebuild & what the Oilers should do to get back to respectability.

Enough of that. What a bitter sweet victory. As badly as I want a top 4 pick this year(that would assure us of min. Barkov) wow, to see our young players come up & outperform the Oilers Fab 5 is just wow. I am hoping Reinhart is going to prove all those that say his ceiling is a 3rd line centre all wrong. This stint up with the Flames will be so huge for this kid for next year. I'm stoked about it. This is what we have been yearning for the last 3 years. Some young talented players trying to make their name in the best league in the world. That was never going to happen as long as Iggy & JBO & even Kipper were taking most of the minutes on the stage. Here is a bold bold what if prediction. If Feaster parlays some of our cap space & late 1st rounders into top RFA's & suddenly the mix finds a bit of magic next season(like better than average goaltending, Brodie playing the way he has, Sven & Max & Backs playing great, stuff like that). Can you imagine we shock the hockey world by making the playoffs next year & Brodie is suddenly looked at as our version of Karlsson. That is why we need to ink Brodie to a 4 year deal @ 12 million & Backlund to a 4 year deal @ 10 mill. this summer. Its sure nice to stand at the edge & see a future again.

it is ok to go after some rfa,s butvnot at the expense of our future. let's be patient and not just shoot for a playoff spot. accumulate and develop assets. if we can get some good young talent by moving our Tanguays and Glenx type players, then go for it but let's rebuild this thing and develop a competitive team with a sustainable future.

Avatar
#36 Ryan Pike
April 14 2013, 04:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

For the curious, the various FN writers and the team's record when they write the pre-game thread:

Ryan Pike: 7-7-1
Kent Wilson: 3-7-2
Justin Azevedo: 3-2-1
Vintage Flame: 0-3-0
Book of Loob: 1-1-0
OilersNation various: 1-2-0

Avatar
#37 Ryan Pike
April 14 2013, 04:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Also, I'm VERY excited for some of the stuff that we'll have for y'all during the spring/summer. Then again, I'm a draft/development nut, so I'm biased.

Avatar
#38 NateBaldwin
April 14 2013, 04:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Ryan Pike

So... Kent doesn't get to write the pre-games anymore?

Avatar
#39 schevvy
April 14 2013, 04:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Rex is currently busy writing a novel response to all the haters... :)

Avatar
#40 negrilcowboy
April 14 2013, 04:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

rex is some kinda target, the lac la biche product. keep your feet movin rex.

Avatar
#41 dean the raven
April 14 2013, 05:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

"Re-Habby's shoulder"... Missing out on last call... Classic slams on the Boozelin Wall . "What about Max Reinhart? The fact that his first of his career was the one that rubbed salt in the wound that was the Oilers playoff chances bleeding out like a Kosher ritual; that has to be good for his first Warrior honours, right?" Good skills, VF. ı can't even read any of the other comments 'cause I have to pee from larfing so hard. Tim jackman on the PP. Hudler looked otherworldly with the play that set up Max's 1st. AahKim, AaahKim...Almost makes you wish we missed the playoffs every year. VF, You Rawk! I wanna bear your children. or better yet, F%™# an Oil fan and make them name the brat after you!

Avatar
#42 Dank
April 14 2013, 05:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Ryan Pike wrote:

For the curious, the various FN writers and the team's record when they write the pre-game thread:

Ryan Pike: 7-7-1
Kent Wilson: 3-7-2
Justin Azevedo: 3-2-1
Vintage Flame: 0-3-0
Book of Loob: 1-1-0
OilersNation various: 1-2-0

That's official, give it to JA for the rest of eternity. :)

Avatar
#43 Alt
April 14 2013, 05:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Ryan Pike

How long does a team have to sign a player who finishes college.I am curious whether the Flames will sign Ramage ,or cut him loose.

I hope they sign him ,and we get a chance to see his pro game.

Avatar
#44 Justin Azevedo
April 14 2013, 06:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Alt

aug 15 of the player's graduating year is the deadline.

Avatar
#45 loudogYYC
April 14 2013, 06:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Speaking of NCAA players, does anyone know who which college free agents the Flames are going after?

Avatar
#46 Baalzamon
April 14 2013, 06:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@loudogYYC

Probably all of them, but the Flames organization is likely a bit too far down the list of any of those players. Frankly, I'm impressed they were able to sign Ben Hanowski so quickly. Speaks well of the kid (who is actually older than me..)

Avatar
#47 loudogYYC
April 14 2013, 06:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Baalzamon

Probably true, but it's also probably one of the easiest rosters to make. Better odds of making the higher salary of a 2 way deal and get to play in the best league in the world.

Avatar
#48 RexLibris
April 14 2013, 07:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Feeling the love here.

I was away last night and missed the thread. Although apparently I didn't miss much by way of the game.

Congratulations to the Flames for handing the Oilers their hats in their own house, and from a backup roster at that. That kind of a smack in the face is worth some gloating.

So let's try and clear the air a bit here while we're at it:

Yes, I am an Oilers fan. Live and work in Edmonton, grew up loving the Oilers and not loving the Flames/Stamps. If this shocks you, stop reading now.

Do I come here to troll or tell Flames fans about how their team should be run more like the Oilers? Nope.

I think some readers here are confusing my opinions or attitude with some other commenters who have flocked to FN recently to witness the despair.

You could ask for the Flames to follow the Oilers management model, but I can't understand why that would be desirable and I wouldn't really recommend it.

Do I take time to point out problems or issues that I see with the Flames management from my crow's nest perch as an outsider? Yes, because I feel that this perspective has value.

Do I come across as a pedantic jerk? Sorry if I do, just trying to stay objective and keep up the fine standards of writing that Kent and the others have established at the Nations.

Have I ever said bad things about Calgary, the fans, the citizens, or disparaged the Flames as a team? Not that I can recall, but don't mistake criticism for slander. Don't like my opinions? Then I know I'm probably doing my job.

As for the game last night: Congratulations to the Flames, here's hoping it doesn't spoil your draft position. From an Oilers point of view, thank you, I hope that smack in the face moves the organization one step closer to making the management changes required.

There, not quite a novel, Schevvy. Hope you aren't disappointed.

By the way, we've an actual Battle of Alberta setting up for this coming week between the Hitmen and Oil Kings. I look forward to it.

Avatar
#49 RexLibris
April 14 2013, 07:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
negrilcowboy wrote:

rex is some kinda target, the lac la biche product. keep your feet movin rex.

Don't you mean keep my head up? Stick on the ice? and other assorted Simmer-isms.

Not sure about the lac la biche part though. Never been, or if I have I didn't notice.

Avatar
#50 Quintana
April 14 2013, 07:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

8-2 > 4-1 , and 5 cups are more than 1 cup. enjoy your 5 years rebuilding!!!

Comments are closed for this article.