FGD: Tank Baby Tank

April 23 2013 03:29PM

This could be a very peculiar game tonight. The 12th place Flames take on the 14th place Predators and both clubs will be earnestly trying to lose to secure a favorable draft position.

So, in stark contrast to your average game, this will be an entirely different contest of wills: who can out-suck whom? Who can take more penalties, give up the puck at the blueline more often and dress more replacement level bodies? I'd feel sorry for any folks paying money to see the pending debacle tonight, but it might be morbidly interesting as a sort of rare, grotesque spectacle.

As discussed at length recently, Calgary's ill-timed goalie regression and subsequent winning streak has crippled their chances of finishing inside the top-5, so there really is an urgent need to score a few own goals over the next few games. That would have been easier against another non-tanker, but Nashville is in the same boat and even closer to the brass ring with 38 points. They can practically start penciling in at least one of the big names onto their prospect list right now.

As such, no one should be surprised if goons start skating on top lines, if whatever remaining vets there are suddenly need to "leave the game" for mysterious maladies and, in the end, if defenders accidentally start rifling the puck into their own net as time winds down.

It's the sporting equivalent of The Producers.

The Lineup

I wouldn't have bothered with this otherwise, but Calgary's roster tonight is, uh, noteworthy:

• Baertschi - Reinhart - Cervenka
  • Hudler - Horak - Aliu
  • Bancks - Byron - McGrattan (!)
  • Hanowski - Street - Jones

• Brodie - Cundari
  • Giordano - Wideman
  • Butler - Babchuk

• Kipper

Carter Bancks makes his NHL debut. As laughable as this situation may seem to be, he's one guy who probably doesn't find it funny. Bancks isn't really an NHL level talent, but by all accounts he's a tireless worker and excellent teammate, so it's nice to see him get a cup of coffee - even if it's in service of less than honorable ends.

Babchuk's re-appearance in the line-up is self explanatory.

The Opponent

• Kostitsyn - Spaling - Bang
  • Mueller - Henderson - Butler
  • Fisher - Forsberg - Legwand
  • Clune - Smith - Halischuk

• Weber - Josi
  • Klein - Bartley
  • Blum - Gill

• Rinne

In case you thought this would be a slam dunk (loss) for the Flames, take a look at what the Preds will probably be icing. There's a few more recognizable names in that line-up, but not many. Although Mr. Bang should get a few points simply for having one of the most hockey-ish last names ever.

Sum it Up

What happens when both boxers have been paid to throw the fight? Tonight we'll find out.

#51 Lordmork
April 23 2013, 07:43PM

@mattyc

I'd put him on a line with Hudler and Horak, but that's just because I want to see the Czeching line again.

#52 Lordmork
April 23 2013, 07:45PM

@loudogYYC

I guess a lot is going to depend on how successful we're at in attracting free agents. If the choice is another year of Cervenka, or having to sign another overpaying, long-term contract to attract a half-decent player, I know what I'd pick.

#53 Brad
April 23 2013, 07:51PM

Kent, you have clearly never played a sport. Both teams will go and try and win this game. Sure there might be a better draft pick, but creating a loser culture on your team will follow you for a long time... Edmonton

#54 mattyc
April 23 2013, 07:57PM

@Lordmork

yeah - i've also liked that line this year, but the only spot I see for him, I'd hope is instead for our draft pick. Who knows... he wouldn't be a bad signing I dont think

Tanguay Cammalleri Backlund Stajan Stempniak Glencross Hudler Baertschi ???Cervenka??

#55 RKD
April 23 2013, 08:03PM

So if the Flames most likely don't land Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, or Barkov which center you would take and who has the most potential of fulfilling their ceiling?

Lindholm, Monahan, Domi, Gauthier, or Horvat are your choices.

#57 thymebalm
April 23 2013, 08:03PM

atta boy cundari..

#58 loudogYYC
April 23 2013, 08:03PM
Lordmork wrote:

I don't think this is the year UFA's will cash in. Teams have money but the lower salary cap has already handcuffed half the league and there's about 5 lower teams that have self imposed salary caps.

I'm ok with Calgary overpaying a UFA, but only on a 1 year deal. Give the guy a big offensive minutes and a chance to showcase himself for the 2014 UFA season and we can flip him at the deadline to a contender that will have cap space by then. I doubt contenders will want a player like Cervenka though.

#60 loudogYYC
April 23 2013, 08:04PM

@RKD

Lindholm and Monahan sound like very good options if you ask me.

#61 thymebalm
April 23 2013, 08:05PM

Yes. Let it bleed.

#62 RKD
April 23 2013, 08:06PM

This is why they started Kipper I guess, what a garbage way to go out if this is his last start. Acceptable because it's on the road, management upset at Kipper for potentially not playing out his full contract?

#63 clyde
April 23 2013, 08:06PM
RKD wrote:

Lindholm, Monahan, Domi, Gauthier, or Horvat are your choices.

lindholm for me but monahan would be ok too as I think we will need a top 5-6 to the swede

#64 mattyc
April 23 2013, 08:08PM
loudogYYC wrote:

Lindholm and Monahan sound like very good options if you ask me.

yep agreed.

#65 Lordmork
April 23 2013, 08:09PM

@mattyc

I really hope our draft picks get time to play in the AHL first. I'm not convinced the best place to develop them is the NHL, especially on a team I expect to struggle at the start of the year.

#66 RKD
April 23 2013, 08:12PM

ISS on Lindholm: Superior hockey IQ. 2-way player. Work ethic 2nd to none. Complete player in all 3 zones. Monahan: Big bodied, versatile Foward. Lethal scoring ability & awareness in all zones. Leads by example.

#67 Q
April 23 2013, 08:12PM

This is a great night! The young players get a chance, we lose to Nashville , Florida and Carolina lose! We will lose for sure to St. Louis and Chicago! Chicagos coach is pissed that they were a no show in Vancouver so they'll work us!

#69 ChinookArch
April 23 2013, 08:17PM

Not able to watch this one. Can someone please provide a little color?

#70 thymebalm
April 23 2013, 08:20PM

@ChinookArch

We've finally found a line up weak enough that even heart won't win the game, unlike the previous three. Bancks, Hanowski, Cundari, Street all look bush league...

#72 Lordmork
April 23 2013, 08:22PM

Spoke too soon!

#74 mattyc
April 23 2013, 08:27PM

@Kent Wilson

Pretty much as soon as i mentioned how good he looked, he's made me look bad...

#75 Lordmork
April 23 2013, 08:28PM

As concerned as I am about the Flames playing themselves out of a good draft pick, I'm happy to see them not rolling over and giving up over the last few games. I feel like the Flames have done that all too easily over the last four years. I'm really hopeful that some of the trades we've made can help toss out that culture, and I hope we move to keep getting rid of any players who give up too easily.

#77 SeanCharles
April 23 2013, 08:31PM

Aliu's conditioning and speed seem much improved. I hope he can find a way to be consistent and make this team next year. I'd love a 4th line with him and Bouma next season. He could have a big impact on a game.

Theres a lot to like tonight: Svens point streak, Brodie scores, Cervenka scores two (hope he resigns), NJ Buff Car Philly all win, we lose....all good things

@Kent Wilson

I agree Cundari doesn't look as good tonight, but he made a good play on Brodie's goal, and was steady tonight except for the puck getting behind him a couple times that made him look bad. Those were more the forwards fault more than his I think.

#78 Jeff Lebowski
April 23 2013, 08:31PM

Good. They lost and played hard.

#80 loudogYYC
April 23 2013, 08:32PM

Now that's how you lose.

Hey Kent, quick question: why isn't Ottawa part of the Nations Network?

#81 clyde
April 23 2013, 08:36PM

Adding 3 of lindholm, monahan, mantha, rychel, pouluck, zadorov, nurse with Sven, Brodie and backlund as well as some others gives this team some hope for the near future.

#82 beloch
April 23 2013, 08:37PM

Mission accomplished.

#83 ChinookArch
April 23 2013, 08:39PM

Thanks for the update gents. Great loss!

#84 Baalzamon
April 23 2013, 09:35PM

@RKD

Lindholm is my fav, but I do like Monahan too. Which is actually unusual for me and a draft eligible power forward, but there it is. Both are quite likely (relatively speaking) to hit their ceilings. Lindholm's is probably higher, but Monahan's size probably makes him safer.

Domi is a good pick for a bit later, but I don't think i'd take him in the top 10.

#85 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
April 23 2013, 09:50PM
Baalzamon wrote:

I think Monohan is the superior player. Lindholm is a great playmaker and two-way presence, but Monohan has those qualities in addition to size and a great shot. He`s also one of those kids who plays every game like it is game seven of the stanley cup finals.

As later round picks who will likely be available when we draft 21-23 with the Blues pick, and 25-30 with the Pens pick, I like Rychel, Hagg, Lazar, and Gauthier.

#86 Alsker
April 23 2013, 10:09PM

Phew, that was close, we(those of us @ the N end of the QE2) needed this one. Only way Preds could catch us is with a W in this one. Thanks again.

#87 Baalzamon
April 23 2013, 10:21PM

@If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin

Ugh Rychel has bust written all over him. He did nothing this season until Khokhlachev returned from Russia. Nothing. And he's also one of the oldest players in the draft.

And we'll have to agree to disagree on Lindholm vs Monahan. Yes, Monahan is bigger with a good shot, but Lindholm is smarter, more skilled, a better passer, and a much better skater. Plus he's also already playing against men.

#88 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
April 23 2013, 10:46PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Regarding Rychel, once you get into the latter third of the draft, you`re pretty much looking at high risk-high reward players. I was talking about players we would realistically be able to draft, not the one`s we as fans want to. Josh Morrissey, for example, will most likely not be available by the time our second pick comes around.

Regarding Lindholm vs Monohan, Lindholm should have a little more speed in him, as he is smaller. I don`t know where you got the more skilled part, as he is not a high-end scorer. And as far as playing against men, this is the Swedish Elite league we are talking about, not the AHL or KHL which are the closest approximations to NHL hockey. Way more players from Europe struggle with our smaller rinks and more physical style than are successful.

I`m not saying he is a bad player; he is a good player and will probably be great one day in the NHL. Monohan, on the other hand, seems to have the tools to be a franchise center. He drives play, is excellent on face-offs, is very physical, and has high-end scoring ability. His playmaking skills, as Pronman and other scouts have alluded to, are also above-average. Hell, he was in on almost 50 percent of his team`s points this year, if I am not mistaken. And don`t forget, his team sucked.

You cant go wrong with either, but Monohan`s game seems tailor-made for the NHL. He may become that big, two-way center we have lacked since Joe left.

#89 Flameon47
April 23 2013, 11:27PM

i think with our place in da standings at this moment the best we will get is Shinkaruk

#90 Sincity1976
April 24 2013, 01:19AM

In our last two:

Win Both - Select 6 to 12 Win One - Select 4 to 7 Win None - Select 3 to 7

The morale of that story? Don't win them both.

If we do lose our last two we have a reasonable chance of dropping into the bottom 5 with Edmonton and Carolina passing us.

#91 mk
April 24 2013, 02:33AM

Iginla with another goal tonight vs. Buffalo (for those of us still following our captain). :( I miss him.

#92 dotfras
April 24 2013, 08:32AM

Best Case Scenario: Lose games, draft McKinnon at 3rd overall.

Second Best: Barkov at 4th.

Meh: Monahan or Lindholmn I'm the 5/6/7 spot.

#93 schevvy
April 24 2013, 11:19AM
mk wrote:

Me too pal. Me too.

#94 SeanCharles
April 24 2013, 11:50AM
schevvy wrote:

Me too pal. Me too.

I miss him too.

One interesting note I heard is he and his wife are seperated. My mom knows someone from the Flames staff... Take it for what its worth but I've heard they've had problems in the past.

I read a week or so ago his family was in Hawaii on vacation during his trade and would finish out the school year in Calgary before heading to Pittsburgh.

His house is now up for sale.

I love Iggy, and none of any of this has any concrete evidence to support it but it seems like its a perfect way to hide his seperation from the public...?

Still one of my favorite players if true or not..

It looks as if what I heard about him being seperated from his wife could possibly have some merit....?

He's just not openly admitting it and playing it off as something else...?

#95 McRib
April 24 2013, 01:00PM

@SeanCharles

Ya, everyone I have talked to says Iggy has been separated from the wife for sometime, I have heard rumors of ladies being seen around town with him but that would just be hear say on my end.

The funniest one I have heard is that he was sleeping with that new Flames TV reporter... Haha. The trade actually coincided perfectly with everything, as they can sell the family house and make it look like everyone is moving to Pittsburgh, but he hasn't been living there for awhile I am told. Funny I know the realtor who listed his house, apparently there was Crosby stuff everywhere, haha. Kids are big fans of Sid the Kids..

#96 SeanCharles
April 24 2013, 01:34PM

@McRib

Maybe Iggy put those Sid posters up before he moved out? hahaha We all know how bad he wanted to play in Pitt with him again.

I wonder where Iggy will live after he retires?

I could see the Flames, and the Penguins for that matter, offering him some sort of role within the organization.

I hope he comes back and plays one of his final seasons here right when the rebuild has reaped its benefits and we are a contender.

Then he can take a role as Conroy's special assistant or something... funny but I still hope it happens. He belongs in Calgary.