Post Game: Flames Coast To Victory Over Hapless Oilers

bookofloob
April 04 2013 01:06AM

 

 

After an exceedingly long day mired by the pomp and circumstance surrounding the NHL's silly season, the Trade Deadline Day, you could understand if the Flames took their eye off the prize for a night and faltered against their bitter rivals for the second time in 3 nights.

And that's pretty much exactly what happened, but I'm here to tell you that it didn't break my spirit.

Because I wouldn't let it.

No, I went into shock, and man, did some great things happen inside my head. Let's revisit that, okay?

The Rundown

Your Calgary Flames got off to a scintillating start in this one, as Flames superstar and #1 Center Matt Stajan, unmarked due to hilarious Edmonton defending, snuck into the slot and cashed a Dennis Wideman centering pass into the yawning Edmonton cage for a 1-0 lead. The sold out Saddledome went haywire, and the three Oilers fans in the building really felt the atmosphere ripping them a new one. For Stajan, who has really rejuvenated his career with the Flames in this full 82 game season, because in my head all the owners are reasonable people and we had a smooth and amicable CBA negotiation process, would not end his dominance in this game only 2 and a half minutes into it - that's the enforcer's role.

Nay, Matthew Q. Franchisington would pop another puck past quasi goalie Devan Dubnyk less than 3 minutes later, putting the Flames up by a deuce.

Alan Alda, season ticket holder and my best friend, was sitting next to me drinking a Heroin Beer, when he turned to me with a glimmer of prophecy in those irreverent eyes and said "Stajan looks good tonight, Loober, I think he has one of those special nights in which we all remember where we were when we fondly recall the exploits of such a phenomenal athlete"

"You're correct, Hawkeye," I replied, astutely. "In my essence, I can feel it in my essence."

There was an air of impending success on this night, and it started earlier when the Flames in no way held a vacuous press conference in which a sad sack General Manager and delusional ownership group rambled on about a playoff spot next season without mentioning anything in the way of a plan.

And the feeling permeated throughout the Flames dressing room before the game, because the boys in red would strike again before the stanza ended.

Simon Depres, one of the crucial return pieces in the Jarome Iginla to the Penguins trade, feathered a cross zone pass right onto the stick of Matt Stajan, who tapped it in for the natural hat trick.

The elation that followed was electric, but not new to a franchise that never once had Anders Eriksson sign a contract to play for them.

Roman Horak's natural hat trick and Brian McGrattan hitting for the cycle were also some highly notable events that occurred between the second and third periods.

On the flipside, the Oilers, still clinging desperately to those Todd McFarlane created Cog jerseys, struggled to establish a forecheck and just could not maintain possession, suffered through another tough night as they slip down back into the 13th spot in the Western Conference.

Three Pocket Dogs and a live performance by Stompin' Tom Connors later, the dust settled, and the Flames had so soundly beaten the Oilers that even Ryane Clowe was wondering how Edmonton was going to score.

The Red Menace

I'm going to give this one to Ryan O'Reilly. What a pickup he's been for the Flames since the team very successfully signed ROR to an offer sheet with absolutely no consequences or backlash. 

O'Reilly played 18 minutes tonight, scoring 5 assists and was absolute beast mode on the penalty kill. Not that he needed to be, as Miikka Kiprusoff continued the trend of unreal goaltending he gave to the team last season. The Brodie twins blocking all the shots in their path didn't hurt either.

In Summary, Friends

The things that go on in my head are a lot cooler than what happens in real life. Did anyone watch the balance of this game without having something to bite down on?

There's a lot to say. Murray Edwards, who insisted the Flames next season are a playoff team, had better have watched this abomination of a game, hopefully it offers up a fresh perspective. This team needs a plan if it intends on rediscovering any kind of postseason glory. Presumably they have one?

I would not be surprised if the Flames have forced Miikka Kiprusoff into an early early retirment, as the team gave up 8 goals tonight and left Miikka parked on the bench for all of them. I felt like they were sending him a clear message about their thoughts on his refusal to accept a trade to the Leafs, and if his end goal is to retire at the end of the year, perhaps the Flames are expediating the process.

Anyway, that sucked. I'm depressed. I'm going back into my own head.

The Raw Data

 

# Player EV     PP     SH    
5 GIORDANO, MARK 16:00 2 5 01:41 0 1 05:28 1 6
6 SARICH, CORY 20:09 6 6 00:00 0 0 01:36 0 0
7 BRODIE, TJ 22:00 9 8 00:19 0 0 00:00 0 0
10 CERVENKA, ROMAN 12:54 4 8 01:04 0 1 00:06 0 0
11 BACKLUND, MIKAEL 13:57 4 9 00:00 0 0 00:00 0 0
13 CAMMALLERI, MIKE 14:45 2 7 00:56 0 0 00:53 0 0
15 JACKMAN, TIM 09:55 6 1 00:07 0 0 00:00 0 0
16 MCGRATTAN, BRIAN 12:19 6 2 00:07 0 0 00:00 0 0
18 STAJAN, MATT 13:11 4 4 00:00 0 0 04:02 1 5
20 GLENCROSS, CURTIS 10:49 5 6 00:56 0 0 02:03 0 1
22 STEMPNIAK, LEE 11:37 4 4 00:57 0 1 04:02 1 5
24 HUDLER, JIRI 14:12 2 7 00:57 0 1 00:06 0 0
25 BEGIN, STEVE 09:35 4 2 00:00 0 0 00:22 0 0
26 WIDEMAN, DENNIS 18:54 3 8 01:41 0 1 05:28 1 6
33 BABCHUK, ANTON 12:21 5 7 00:19 0 0 00:00 0 0
35 MACDONALD, JOEY   14 21   0 1   1 6
40 TANGUAY, ALEX 15:17 0 7 00:56 0 0 01:59 0 1
44 BUTLER, CHRIS 12:28 3 8 00:00 0 0 01:36 0 0
51 HORAK, ROMAN 14:17 1 6 00:00 0 0 00:35 0 0

 

Read 'em and weep.

01f20cee6c900dc633fe87a421630f41
The Book of Loob is the Nation's resident expert in flim-flammery and twaddle. An unabashed Flames fan, when BoL is not intellectually bankrupting Flames Nation, he can be seen rooting for Blair Jones, often to excess, at Book of Loob. Follow him on twitter here.
Avatar
#1 Lober
April 04 2013, 01:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

Cant believe I missed this game... Only had time to read your article and all I can say is I could really see the Flames making a late season push! The comment by Edwards is 100% accurate, think of all the talent we can get with these draft picks! Savard still has a couple years left on his contract so that should be a no brainer for one of our 1st's, after that I think we can all agree 3rd times the charm for Olli as he comes storming back via trade for a 1st round pick. Iginla resigns after his cup win with PIT and Kipper has a bounce back season and wins the Vezna! Is everyone as excited about next year as I am?!?!?!?!

Avatar
#2 KetchupKid
April 04 2013, 01:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

More valuable now than ever before, BoL's clinical, uncompromising point of view will be a guiding beacon for this team's exciting and bright future. Truly an inspiring evening of hockey.

Avatar
#3 beloch
April 04 2013, 02:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

You know the team has hit rock-bottom when they don't show up for two games in a row against the *Oilers*! At least, I hope this is rock-bottom.

Feaster cut some pretty big pieces out of the team without putting anything back into the current lineup and this summers draftees are unlikely to do much next season. If the cap-space Feaster has so dearly paid for doesn't bring some serious return back in the summer, next season is going to be a gong-show.

Avatar
#4 FireOnIce
April 04 2013, 02:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I can only hope and pray that the terrible product on the ice finally drives away "fans". Then, diehard fans like myself, can vulture the season tickets on the cheap and show up hammered most nights to yell whatever we want. And that this team ends most games in a brawl.

Bring back Boughner, Lowry, Oliwa, and Roman Turek. Hell, call up Chris Simon. Turn this team into the WWF sh*tfest it really is.

At least those players/teams had grit and heart (and, now that I look it up, an Iginla that scored 52 goals!).

Avatar
#5 schevvy
April 04 2013, 02:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@FireOnIce

God, the 01-02 Flames. What a team. Classic names like Dean McAmmond, Tony Lydman, Rob Niedermayer and a young Marc Savard. Wow. Also, Craig Conroy's had 75 (!!) points that year.

Young guns.

Avatar
#6 Jay
April 04 2013, 06:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

And once again, all is normal in the hockey world!

Avatar
#7 season not played
April 04 2013, 07:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Flames fans have nothing to worry about because your gm assured the world that it's not ok to lose next year and the mandate is the playoffs. So there you go.

He also threw out a nice buzz word to carry fans through this off season. I mean who can't get behind a gm(and some thing he kept referring to as Wisebrod??) who introduces us to "post apex player". It also breeds "pre apex player" which fans will also be throwing around as teams with cap issues this offseason will be flushing all their "pre apex players" and retaining their "post apex players" because thats what teams do.

Finally, let's not forget the haul of NHL ready prospects and draft picks from the Iginla and Bouwmeester deals. Just try not to pay attention to what Buffalo got for Pominville.

Probably only two picks this year in the first round because Bouwmeester doesn't make the playoffs.

Avatar
#8 joeyjoejoejr
April 04 2013, 07:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

edwards is the worst owner in the league.

Avatar
#9 HongKongHockeyFan
April 04 2013, 08:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Flames fans should expect a lot of more of these results now that Jaybo is gone. You simply can't replace his minutes. I will say it again, you would rather overpay Jaybo than have any real dollars wasted on Sarich, Babchuck, Wideman, etc... He may not be amongst the best in the league but he is still elite. The Flames will not be able to trade for someone with his talent, so the Flames will have go back to drawing board right away to figure how to replace his minutes. I guess the upside is that getting rid of Jaybo should pretty well guarantee the Flames a top 5, if not top 3 pick in the upcoming draft.

Avatar
#11 dotfras
April 04 2013, 08:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

How old is Edwards? Is he going to croak soon? I know that's horrible to ask, but realistically, that's the only way I see us getting out of this mess. Either that or we get so bad he sells the team.

Avatar
#12 Aussie Flame
April 04 2013, 08:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Thank you for this, Flames nation still has the best writers on the nation. This article reminded me of a line on the Simpsons episode with Mel Gibson.

Homer: Wait, I'm confused about the movie. So the cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up?

Glen: What are you talking about? There is nothing like that in there!

Homer: Oh, you see when I get bored I make up my own movie. I have a very short attention span.

Avatar
#13 365
April 04 2013, 08:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
dotfras wrote:

How old is Edwards? Is he going to croak soon? I know that's horrible to ask, but realistically, that's the only way I see us getting out of this mess. Either that or we get so bad he sells the team.

Harold Ballard lived until a sour old age of 87. And look at his legacy...

Avatar
#15 Avalain
April 04 2013, 09:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
joeyjoejoejr wrote:

edwards is the worst owner in the league.

I agree with your sentiment even though I know it's not literally true.

Avatar
#16 etownman
April 04 2013, 09:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Priceless!!

Avatar
#17 vowswithin
April 04 2013, 09:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@bookofloob

Sometimes I think, anything short of an assassination attempt on several of those guys will have no effect. Its safe to say we missed the real boat on Trading assets for anything tangible. Feaster screwed up the Iginla and Bow trades, took crap that you might not be able to give away as the "return" together with a a first in each.

Ship is sinkinnn........ Gurglleeeeeee....

Sploosh

Avatar
#18 shutout
April 04 2013, 09:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
bookofloob wrote:

Murray Edwards is relatively young, for those interested in such morbid tedium. Sorry guys.

He`s also part of an ownership group, keep that in mind as well

An ownership group where he owns 80% of the team and has the first right to purchase the balance should something happen to the other owners. For all intents and purposes Murray Edwards is the driving force behind the philosophy of the Calgary Flames.

He is the new Harold Ballard and Bill Wirtz of the NHL. Ignorant, idiotic, arrogant, and stupid when it comes to the game of hockey.

The Flames ownership used to be the organization greatest strength. Now ownership is its biggest and most glaring weakness. Not because of financial constraints like other organizations, but because of interference, meddling, and a complete lack of understanding.

We are an 8-2 losing team until such time as Edwards becomes a hands off owner, fires King, fires Feast, and hires a real hockey person to be president with final decision making who in terms hires a real general managers with some actual hockey accumen.

Avatar
#19 Walter Sobchak
April 04 2013, 09:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I think this guy has a sinus infection?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/spyboy1/TSG%20Blog%202012/CalgaryFlamesAlt98-99F.jpg

I went to a rugby game, I thought these were the best rugby jerseys ever!

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/Firecracker944/media/40290_424838968703_23106553703_4604837_8034391_n.jpg.html?

Avatar
#20 shutout
April 04 2013, 09:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Erat same age and similar numbers as Cammalleri. Difference is that his salary is $2M cheaper and he is probably a little more offensive. So Cammalleri does not get you Forsberg straight up, but with things added on there is no way that Feast should not have been able to make a similar deal.

Pominville is a little more offensive than Cammalleri and makes $1M less and is the same age. Maybe you don’t get that deal, but what if you got that deal without the first round pick it would be a great deal for Calgary.

The fact of the matter is that there is no possible reason why we could not have gotten at least this much if not more for Bouwmeester if we had a competent GM. Let alone one who says that he did not even listen to offers for Glencross or Giordano. The height of incompetence is not doing basic due diligence. And after all of this we are still middle of the league in terms of salary cap, and if Kiprusoff retires we will have to carry his cap space next year, same as the Thomas cap space Boston traded to the Islanders.

The three prospects in these two deals are better than any of the prospects that Calgary got in its two deals.

As a franchise we got brutally jailhouse raped in these trades and yet we still have fans that think the team can do no wrong.

We have media that are afraid to ask the hard questions.

Did you hear one media person ask Feast if he was going to quit now that they are doing a rebuild? After all it was just last year when he said that King would have to find somebody new if that was the direction the organization was going to go in.

Did not hear one media person ask the question if they considered holding back cap space on the Bouwmeester deal would they have been able to get a better return? Because he was full of excuses for why they did not have more teams in the bidding.

Did you hear one media person ask Feast if he was using the same “intellectual honesty” when he made these trades and evaluated these prospects as when he evaluated his team last year and the start of this year? If the high majority of everybody in the business of hockey knew that 2-3 years ago the Flames should have started the rebuild and Feast just found out about it after the California road trip then how can anybody trust his judgment on anything hockey related.

The whole plan for a quick turnaround is that somehow Feast is going to be able to rob another team of an RFA player because they won’t be able to afford them. Does not work. Teams will always move players that are over the “apex” of their careers and give the money to the younger players. After the Regehr, Iginla, and Bouwmeester trades I would not trust Feast to get the best out of any deal even if there were teams that were willing to move players. Options that the Flames could target using the Penguins and Blues first round picks: Sam Gagner, Chris Stewart, or Karl Alzner are the only three players on teams where they might have cap problems, might overprice themselves, and probably are not pieces that their franchises consider untouchable.

At least the good news is that they are going to be in the playoffs next year because Edwards has mandated it and that means that the players will have to compete to that goal. What a joke.

Avatar
#21 mattyc
April 04 2013, 09:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

TJ Brodie and the 4th line managed to stay in the black last night... wow...

Avatar
#22 Veggie Dog
April 04 2013, 09:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Uhg. Everyone wanted a rebuild, now it is happening and there is still tons of moaning. We wanted this and we are gunning for a lottery pick. We are going to stink for a while, get used to it.

(NB: This is not directed at BoL's article, just the comments)

Avatar
#23 mcculb
April 04 2013, 09:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

When the camera was focused on the Flames press box I had real distain. There is a cancer there. Every fan knows what FN has been projecting for years now. FN writers would realistically have run this organization better and we would be in a better position for the future. Can't get any worse that 30 in the TSN power rankings, unless of course fans stop coming paying we have no team, I am talking to you Edwards and the ownership group. Preaching playoffs next year is an insult to all of us because as BoL points out it shows they have no plan, no clue what they are doing.

Avatar
#24 clYDE
April 04 2013, 09:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Some brutal trades and limited prospects returned to us. Looks like JBO should have been worth a lot more, we will really miss him. But, If we have a plan to rebuild this and are patient, it can be done. Would everyone on here be ok with 2-3 brutal years in order to build a strong sustainable product that can compete? I am ok with that. We can't just go signing every free agent who will sign. The team needs to decide on an identity and build towards that much like a Boston has done. We don't need to have that same gritty identity that they do as I know some on here absolutely hate gritty teams as they win nothing but we must decide on WHO the Calgary Flames are going to be and develop. The Red Wings are a great example. They value puck possession, a gritty cycle and drive the net game and look for skating and compete players in the draft. This will take time as you cannot buy team identity, it needs to be developed. But, it would sure be worth it.

Avatar
#25 mattyc
April 04 2013, 09:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
mcculb wrote:

When the camera was focused on the Flames press box I had real distain. There is a cancer there. Every fan knows what FN has been projecting for years now. FN writers would realistically have run this organization better and we would be in a better position for the future. Can't get any worse that 30 in the TSN power rankings, unless of course fans stop coming paying we have no team, I am talking to you Edwards and the ownership group. Preaching playoffs next year is an insult to all of us because as BoL points out it shows they have no plan, no clue what they are doing.

c'mon - it could almost definitely get worse than 30th in the TSN rankings...

Avatar
#26 vowswithin
April 04 2013, 09:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Veggie Dog

I am not in the least bit concerned about winning right now. I am upset with the incompetence of the management / ownership. I realize we lost much of our value by missing the boat 2-4 years ago. But as seen with other trades at the deadline, we got fleeced on all our returns (comeau was actually what I thought we would get)

I am excited to draft top 3, but if you think for one second that we have the right people doing this rebuild..... you are sadly mistaken my friend.

Avatar
#27 vowswithin
April 04 2013, 09:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@mattyc

Well if we add expansion teams we could be worse then 30.....

Avatar
#28 Kurt
April 04 2013, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
clYDE wrote:

Some brutal trades and limited prospects returned to us. Looks like JBO should have been worth a lot more, we will really miss him. But, If we have a plan to rebuild this and are patient, it can be done. Would everyone on here be ok with 2-3 brutal years in order to build a strong sustainable product that can compete? I am ok with that. We can't just go signing every free agent who will sign. The team needs to decide on an identity and build towards that much like a Boston has done. We don't need to have that same gritty identity that they do as I know some on here absolutely hate gritty teams as they win nothing but we must decide on WHO the Calgary Flames are going to be and develop. The Red Wings are a great example. They value puck possession, a gritty cycle and drive the net game and look for skating and compete players in the draft. This will take time as you cannot buy team identity, it needs to be developed. But, it would sure be worth it.

YES! After what we've gone through, there is zero point in rushing things. I think we are delusional if we think we can retool anyways. But this team needs 2-3 at least to do this properly and slowly. The Leafs rushed their rebuild along and now they are an ok team. Does anyone really thnk they are on their way to powerhouse? The Oilers seem to be on their way to scary good. Thats what I want. I want to be a powerhouse. Not a bubble middling team content on making the playoffs.

OF all the things that happened the past few days the thing I hate the most (and I hate lots) is Feaster going on and on about making the playoffs next year. WTF does it matter if we make the playoffs next year and we are basically back to being a middling marginal bubble team for another decade. I would WAY rather miss for a few years, really suck the joint out, and add some elite superstar talent via the draft and get back to kicking the Oilers a## in 3-4 years.

Avatar
#29 Veggie Dog
April 04 2013, 09:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
vowswithin wrote:

I am not in the least bit concerned about winning right now. I am upset with the incompetence of the management / ownership. I realize we lost much of our value by missing the boat 2-4 years ago. But as seen with other trades at the deadline, we got fleeced on all our returns (comeau was actually what I thought we would get)

I am excited to draft top 3, but if you think for one second that we have the right people doing this rebuild..... you are sadly mistaken my friend.

I don't, but they are.

Avatar
#30 backburner
April 04 2013, 10:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Veggie Dog wrote:

Uhg. Everyone wanted a rebuild, now it is happening and there is still tons of moaning. We wanted this and we are gunning for a lottery pick. We are going to stink for a while, get used to it.

(NB: This is not directed at BoL's article, just the comments)

I'm not so much against the rebuild, but I think this Management seems to be mis-handling assets.. I can't help but fear that they will some how screw things up at the draft. At this point, I will remain skeptical until I see the results of the draft and what free agents they can sign.

In my opinion, if the Flames want to get some faith back in the fan base they need to draft any combination of TWO, yes that's right, TWO of the following draft picks.. (Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin, Nathan Mackinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, or Darnell Nurse)

In other words, Feaster needs to find a way to move up in the draft to get two picks within the top 8. They really need to hit a home run at the draft this year.

Also, as far as UFA's go, they need to look at Clarkson, Horton, Bozak, or Brunner, preferably no one over 35 except maybe Iggy lol.

Flames D is hurting bad too... I would take a serious look at a guy like Keith Yandle, I know he's like Wideman but we will need to fill that J Bo sized hole some how.

Avatar
#31 Veggie Dog
April 04 2013, 10:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
backburner wrote:

I'm not so much against the rebuild, but I think this Management seems to be mis-handling assets.. I can't help but fear that they will some how screw things up at the draft. At this point, I will remain skeptical until I see the results of the draft and what free agents they can sign.

In my opinion, if the Flames want to get some faith back in the fan base they need to draft any combination of TWO, yes that's right, TWO of the following draft picks.. (Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin, Nathan Mackinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, or Darnell Nurse)

In other words, Feaster needs to find a way to move up in the draft to get two picks within the top 8. They really need to hit a home run at the draft this year.

Also, as far as UFA's go, they need to look at Clarkson, Horton, Bozak, or Brunner, preferably no one over 35 except maybe Iggy lol.

Flames D is hurting bad too... I would take a serious look at a guy like Keith Yandle, I know he's like Wideman but we will need to fill that J Bo sized hole some how.

I suppose I should have clarified. I was thinking more about comments like, I hope Edwards dies, he is the worst. Hey look what fatso Feaster is up to know. Wow we got so hosed by everyone about everything etc etc.

Avatar
#32 RexLibris
April 04 2013, 10:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@backburner

Feaster has just gone through a series of franchise-player trades this past week and a half, and you believe that now he will be able to hoodwink a GM into giving up the draft picks for one of those players?

The Flames lack assets, they cannot rebuild on the fly because they don't have anything with which to accomplish that goal.

Unless they trade Sven Baertschi, next year's 1st round pick and probably T.J. Brodie, in otherwords a massive overpay, I don't see why any GM would give up their chance to draft any of those players.

This rebuild is going to take between 5 and 7 years. 5 if they focus on the draft and give up the idea of making the playoffs, 7 if they delude themselves into believing that they can somehow climb their way up by trade and free-agent signings.

Avatar
#33 shutout
April 04 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@ Veggie

The complaining is about how the rebuild was started not about it taking place. A man dying of thirst in the desert and begging for something to drink is still going to complain when you give him anti-freeze to drink instead of water.

I have no problems with the team losing or with the team selling off assets. I just think that they did not sell off enough assets and that they got far less than market value for the assets they did manage to move out.

Biggest disappointment is that Edwards, King, and Feast are not held accountable by any of the media for the mistakes they have made, for the stupid comments about competing for the playoffs tomorrow, or for the poor return on the deals that took place. Media and a chuck on delusional fans are happy to do nothing but agree with the crap they are spewing and create excuses for why things were done.

If you win a trade you do not have to provide any comments, justifications, or excuses. The deal stands by itself. Everything that Feast has done comes with a 15 minute monolog about how smart he is, how difficult things are, how sometimes there is nothing there, or about how they just love what they have done and think incredibly highly that everybody and everything they have done are going to be world class in the future.

Nothing but political double talk to cover up incompetence. That is why fans are complaining. Not because their ECHL level hockey team got beat 8-2 by the team up north. Stop being an apologist.

Avatar
#34 shutout
April 04 2013, 10:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@ Rex

Exactly. Trade some more of the older garbage at the draft. Then at the deadline next year finish off moving out whoever is still left of Tanguay, Cammalleri, Giordano, Glencross, Stajan, and Sarich. Gather some more draft picks.

5 years of rebuild and a new general manager if they are able to draft and develop properly. 8 years of rebuild and 2 more general managers if they are unable to solve their history of poor drafting.

Teams are not going to give up the assets we need without overpaying for them. Because we failed to get any of those types of assets in the Iginla and Bouwmeester deals then there is no point in trying to fast track the process through trades and over payments.

Avatar
#35 Benson
April 04 2013, 10:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@shutout

With the Flames clearing blowing it up, you gotta think Pominville had Calgary on his no-go list. Oil had the same problem - good players in their prime years do not want to be part of a rebuild.

Avatar
#36 vowswithin
April 04 2013, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@shutout

If people complaining now is bothering anyone, wait till we are into year 2,3,4,5,6 of a rebuild.....

Things are going to get pretty pissy around here, I am guessing there are going to be people at each others throats!

I think you more or less summed up my feelings on things here in Calgary.

I guess we "might" get a chance to see what we have in our goaltender department finally this next year, sink or swim.

Avatar
#37 Michael
April 04 2013, 10:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I can't say I agree with many of the decisions coming out of the front office or from the owners, but maybe a small word of support for the owners is needed.

First and foremost hockey is a business, the owners run a business first and a hockey club second. The owners have been willing to spend to the cap ceiling for years, they are willing to support long term high dollar contracts / offers recommended by management. (JBo for example, the offer to Richards). The fact that the organization hasn't been able to turn that money into on ice success, and has indeed wasted much of the money, must be even more upseting to the owners than to the fans. (its their money). Ultimately, if Edwards owns most of the team, its his to do with as he pleases. If he wants a team of one armed midgets, that is what we as fans are going to get. If Edwards wants to meddle in hockey ops, he will meddle. Finally, Edwards and his family have done a lot of good work in Calgary, he and his family have made many large donations, and even in jest, I don't think it is appropriate to hope the guy 'croaks' soon. The Flames are in Calgary because of a historically strong ownership group. (they funded this team through the lean years)

Avatar
#38 Carlos Danger
April 04 2013, 10:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Take it from an Oiler Fan the best way to get through a rebuild is to cheer for your rivals to get as close as possible to their goal without actually achieving it. Watching their hearts break is close to as good as watching your team win. Hope that helps the next couple years are not going to be any fun at all otherwise.

Avatar
#39 Dave
April 04 2013, 11:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@vowswithin

I think people are going to start focusing more on the prospects than the flames.... that's what I've been doing for the last year +.

Avatar
#40 backburner
April 04 2013, 11:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
RexLibris wrote:

Feaster has just gone through a series of franchise-player trades this past week and a half, and you believe that now he will be able to hoodwink a GM into giving up the draft picks for one of those players?

The Flames lack assets, they cannot rebuild on the fly because they don't have anything with which to accomplish that goal.

Unless they trade Sven Baertschi, next year's 1st round pick and probably T.J. Brodie, in otherwords a massive overpay, I don't see why any GM would give up their chance to draft any of those players.

This rebuild is going to take between 5 and 7 years. 5 if they focus on the draft and give up the idea of making the playoffs, 7 if they delude themselves into believing that they can somehow climb their way up by trade and free-agent signings.

Yex, I think it's possible. It's well known that Philly, Tampa and Carolina are all looking for a top defenseman for example. Calgary has not only Wideman to offer, but two of three first round picks. Maybe even toss in a prospect like Granlund. I'm sure it could be done. Those teams I mentioned above are trying to get better now, they are not rebuilding. Just look at what Nashville got for Erat. I would argue that Calgary does have enough peices to potentially move up in the draft.

As far as the timeline is concerned, your probably right at about 5 to 7 years. That would be enough time for the likes of Gaudreau, Gilles, Baertchi, and maybe even whoever we draft this year to be all be the NHL level.

Avatar
#41 everton fc
April 04 2013, 11:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Just watched the Begin v. Brown tilt. Begin dropped him. Brown was rubbing his cheek... Nose slightly bleeding.

Begin has earned his spot on this team, even if they were in the playoff race. He's done all his been asked to do. Good for him.

As for the rest of the contest... The score says it all. This Flames fan hopes the Oilers make the playoffs. They'll be fun to watch.

Avatar
#42 everton fc
April 04 2013, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
shutout wrote:

Erat same age and similar numbers as Cammalleri. Difference is that his salary is $2M cheaper and he is probably a little more offensive. So Cammalleri does not get you Forsberg straight up, but with things added on there is no way that Feast should not have been able to make a similar deal.

Pominville is a little more offensive than Cammalleri and makes $1M less and is the same age. Maybe you don’t get that deal, but what if you got that deal without the first round pick it would be a great deal for Calgary.

The fact of the matter is that there is no possible reason why we could not have gotten at least this much if not more for Bouwmeester if we had a competent GM. Let alone one who says that he did not even listen to offers for Glencross or Giordano. The height of incompetence is not doing basic due diligence. And after all of this we are still middle of the league in terms of salary cap, and if Kiprusoff retires we will have to carry his cap space next year, same as the Thomas cap space Boston traded to the Islanders.

The three prospects in these two deals are better than any of the prospects that Calgary got in its two deals.

As a franchise we got brutally jailhouse raped in these trades and yet we still have fans that think the team can do no wrong.

We have media that are afraid to ask the hard questions.

Did you hear one media person ask Feast if he was going to quit now that they are doing a rebuild? After all it was just last year when he said that King would have to find somebody new if that was the direction the organization was going to go in.

Did not hear one media person ask the question if they considered holding back cap space on the Bouwmeester deal would they have been able to get a better return? Because he was full of excuses for why they did not have more teams in the bidding.

Did you hear one media person ask Feast if he was using the same “intellectual honesty” when he made these trades and evaluated these prospects as when he evaluated his team last year and the start of this year? If the high majority of everybody in the business of hockey knew that 2-3 years ago the Flames should have started the rebuild and Feast just found out about it after the California road trip then how can anybody trust his judgment on anything hockey related.

The whole plan for a quick turnaround is that somehow Feast is going to be able to rob another team of an RFA player because they won’t be able to afford them. Does not work. Teams will always move players that are over the “apex” of their careers and give the money to the younger players. After the Regehr, Iginla, and Bouwmeester trades I would not trust Feast to get the best out of any deal even if there were teams that were willing to move players. Options that the Flames could target using the Penguins and Blues first round picks: Sam Gagner, Chris Stewart, or Karl Alzner are the only three players on teams where they might have cap problems, might overprice themselves, and probably are not pieces that their franchises consider untouchable.

At least the good news is that they are going to be in the playoffs next year because Edwards has mandated it and that means that the players will have to compete to that goal. What a joke.

This post says it all.

Avatar
#43 SmellOfVictory
April 04 2013, 11:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

"and the three Oilers fans in the building really felt the atmosphere ripping them a new one" almost made me spit my milk out (my mistake for drinking milk in the first place). I'm glad I decided not to watch this one.

Avatar
#44 Jay
April 04 2013, 11:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

If the Blues miss the playoffs this year, the first round pick the Flames received in the Bouwmeester trade reverts to a second round pick. The pick from the Iggy trade will be #30. Kipper is goin to walk away at the end of this year leaving you with nothing. Hope you enjoy cheering for Stajan and ... Who else you guys got there nowadays ?? Oh ya, all 14 teams that miss the playoff cut have a chance at the first overall pick this year so, Good Luck with that...

Avatar
#45 backburner
April 04 2013, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Jay wrote:

If the Blues miss the playoffs this year, the first round pick the Flames received in the Bouwmeester trade reverts to a second round pick. The pick from the Iggy trade will be #30. Kipper is goin to walk away at the end of this year leaving you with nothing. Hope you enjoy cheering for Stajan and ... Who else you guys got there nowadays ?? Oh ya, all 14 teams that miss the playoff cut have a chance at the first overall pick this year so, Good Luck with that...

The Flames just aren't as good at landing the First overall pick three years in a row... Oilers are awesome at drafting!!

Avatar
#46 backburner
April 04 2013, 11:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I'm seeing Oilers jersey's out in droves today... it must be safe to come out now ;)

Avatar
#47 SmellOfVictory
April 04 2013, 11:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Jay wrote:

If the Blues miss the playoffs this year, the first round pick the Flames received in the Bouwmeester trade reverts to a second round pick. The pick from the Iggy trade will be #30. Kipper is goin to walk away at the end of this year leaving you with nothing. Hope you enjoy cheering for Stajan and ... Who else you guys got there nowadays ?? Oh ya, all 14 teams that miss the playoff cut have a chance at the first overall pick this year so, Good Luck with that...

Wrong. If the Blues miss the playoffs, the 1st rounder is deferred to 2014 and the Flames received a 4th round pick in 2013.

Avatar
#48 Kevin R
April 04 2013, 11:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Well this is my silver lining post. I hope you enjoy it:

1 Bourbon 1 Scotch 1 Beer Well the team as it was sucked every other night. Gotta be happy, we are finally rebuilding, were gonna suck every night.

1 Bourbon 1 Scotch 1 Beer Well we have 2 maybe 3 1st round picks. Gotta be happy, we are hopefully finally gonna have some bluechips. Maybe we get lucky and buy our way up the draft.

1 Bourbon 1 Scotch 1 Beer Well we have a ton cap space & will have lots more when we amnesty buyout Kippers last year as we struggle to get to the floor. Gotta be happy, we got teams by the cap shorties.

1 Bourbon 1 Scotch 1 Beer We're gonna suck next year, GM is set up to be fired. Gotta be happy, no one likes him anyway. Gotta be happy, we're gonna get some franchise futures with our lottery picks next year again.

1 Bourbon 1 Scotch 1 Beer What were we talking about?

Avatar
#49 Dozer Dave
April 04 2013, 11:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@SmellOfVictory

You mean that there IS a team worse than the Oilers ??

Avatar
#50 Jo Flames
April 04 2013, 11:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@backburner

Ya... The Oilers still suck !!

Comments are closed for this article.