Flames Top 15 Prospects 2013: #13 Kenny Agostino

Ryan Pike
May 13 2013 04:16PM

One of the more prominent new faces on the list (and in the Flames organization) is Yale University forward Kenny Agostino. If he sounds familiar, he's one of three assets that Calgary acquired for Jarome Iginla in March, as well as a newly-minted NCAA National Champion.

Agostino's a 2010 draft pick (drafted seven spots after Michael Ferland) with three years of college hockey under his belt – albeit in the ECAC conference – and is slated to return to Yale for his senior year. More optimistically, he's been one of the Bulldogs' better players over his tenure, including being clutch during their lengthy playoff run.

Justin Ryan Kent Hayley BoL
Agostino 11 11 13 11 NR

Looking at his playoff success and scouting reports, it's easy to see why the Flames had eyes for Agostino. He's not tiny, but not huge, listed at 5'11” and just under 200 pounds. He's noted for his work ethic and his tenacity, as well as his leadership skills – he was team captain on his high school team, which went on an unprecedented winning tear during his tenure.

Whether his skills translate from college to the pros is an unknown, but he made the leap from the offense-first world of New Jersey high school hockey to the NCAA without losing a step, amassing 100 points over 101 college games. He'll be counted on to continue his prominent scoring and leadership role for Yale next year, when the Bulldogs will hope to repeat as NCAA champions. This season, he was second on the team with 41 points in 37 games, behind only 23 year-old Andrew Miller.

CONCLUSION

Agostino's a low-ceiling player with a decently high floor. He's not physically frail, but his game doesn't rely on him over-powering his opponents, like perhaps Michael Ferland, nor is he so small one worries about him competing against grown men. He has decently high hockey IQ and succeeds because his game is much more strategic than others.

Will Agostino break into the Flames line-up and light things up offensively? Probably not, but he's going to (at the very least) be a productive bottom-six forward – either in Calgary or on the farm – within a year or two. Beyond that, who knows?

Flames top 15 prospects

StreakCred!

Don't forget to play StreakCred!, the new playoff pool game from the Nation Network. You can win a trip for 2 to Oktoberfest in Germany or a 52" flatscreen TV. Only $20 to play and a portion of the proceeds go to Edmonton Charities.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
#1 Sincity1976
May 13 2013, 04:46PM

Agostino seems to get it. In the interviews I have heard he is charismatic, mature, and to the point. Assuming he can play at the NHL level I think he leadership will be a big benefit.

#2 Teamsupreme
May 13 2013, 05:47PM

It seems like the flames are just amassing a bunch of "leaders" in their locker room to get rid of the losing culture and the lack of effort in the past couple of seasons. Maybe with a bunch of faces that actually can push their team mates, the flames will actually play with heart.

#3 Colin
May 13 2013, 05:59PM

This is the definition of a "good" prospect. He's continually developed as a player, hasn't really seemed to have hit a major bump along the way either. Though he probably won't be a PPG guy in the nhl, he could easily enough be a middle of the rotation kind of guy, dependable enough and add some secondary scoring. Not to think to far ahead, but if we ever want to succeed at anything more that just making the playoffs, guys that can provide that secondary scoring are really nice to have.

#4 SeanCharles
May 13 2013, 06:06PM

When i think of this guy I think of Glencross.

He probably doesn't have the shot Glenny does but his playing style seems on par...

#5 clYDE
May 13 2013, 06:12PM
SeanCharles wrote:

When i think of this guy I think of Glencross.

Or a bigger and more skilled version of Carter Bancks. Or a softer more skilled Bouma. Not too excited about this guy. Hope I'm wrong but.

#6 BurningSensation
May 13 2013, 07:00PM
Colin wrote:

Smart, high character, average or better skills, what is not to like?

#7 clYDE
May 13 2013, 10:18PM
BurningSensation wrote:

Smart, high character, average or better skills, what is not to like?

I think the average skills is not to like. No elite potential.

#8 SydScout
May 13 2013, 10:43PM
clYDE wrote:

I think the average skills is not to like. No elite potential.

Does every prospect have be elite? By elite I assume you mean like the 'team' that is stacked with elite players up north? I only want to see continuous progression with these guys so that someday they become quality nhl'ers. They don't have to all be Crosby

#9 clYDE
May 13 2013, 10:55PM
SydScout wrote:

I think people wanted at least a guy with top 6 potential which is elite. At best, he will be a 3rd liner.

#10 SydScout
May 14 2013, 03:54AM
clYDE wrote:

Fair enough, if elite = top 6 he may not be the guy. Reliable, consistent and a leader isn't worth discounting for a lower rotation (notwithstanding he may be able to occasionally step up to the top 6 in a pinch if required..and not do the team a disservice). Of our lower prospects, I like his chances due to consistency and what appears to be a level head on young shoulders. Rarity

May 14 2013, 05:57AM

Every so often a guy like David Moss emerges from the ranks of a club's prospects: a player who isn't elite, but fills out the roster as a support player capably and cheaply. They are extremely useful guys to have, but it's tough to predict just which guy will eventually poke his head above the crowd.

#12 McRib
May 14 2013, 08:43AM

@Kent Wilson

Or Lee Stempniak.... This kid is basically a Stempniak clone for me. Both are undersized Ivy League kids (Yale/Dartmouth), that can produce in bunches are not explosive skaters but make up for it by playing in traffic and getting hands dirty and like both Stempniak and Moss he has kept developing past early career predictions. Like the looks of this kid and that the Flames are filling a dressing room full with character!!

#13 T&A4Flames
May 14 2013, 09:36AM

Some stuff to like with this kid for sure. However, I still find it disconcerting that he ranks above Janko.

#14 T&A4Flames
May 14 2013, 09:38AM
SeanCharles wrote:

When i think of this guy I think of Glencross.

I was thinking the exact same thing just as I started reading your comment.

I like the potential for positive and winning attitiudes. Maybe it was a better trade than originally thought. The 1st could be the big determiner.

#15 seve927
May 14 2013, 10:17AM

His NHLE is second only to Gaudreau, and has improved in each of his three seasons since being drafted. He led the NCAA champion in scoring, contributing to better than 38% of their goals. With a quick look, it appeared that about 70% of his scoring was at even strength, and everyone seems to think his greatest contributions will not be on the scoresheet.

So is NHLE important or not? The highest anyone had him was 11? I'm thinking I had him a little low at 9. He may be in the second tier, after Brodie, Gaudreau and Baertschi, but I think he should be in the top of that second tier.

#16 dick
May 14 2013, 10:27AM

I believe Agostino's size as was shown was when he was drafted. All the size info I have seen recently shows him at 6' 1'' 200 lbs which makes him considerably bigger than Carter Bancks as was suggested.

#17 JayD54
May 14 2013, 11:09AM

@dick

I agree that he's bigger than what HockeysFuture has him. The Yale hockey website has him listed as the stated 6'1".

As an NCAA player who will likely have four full college seasons behind him before he turns pro and with the statistical background and leadership that this guy brings, I think that this article undersells the potential for this young man.

I see him as a second or third liner with the potential for some touch, perhaps a 15 goal scorer, not unlike we saw from David Moss, albeit somewhat smaller version.

#18 T&A4Flames
May 14 2013, 11:59AM
JayD54 wrote:

But hopefully less fragile than Moss

May 14 2013, 12:10PM

Actually Stempniak is a nice comparison. He had similar numbers in the same league and around the same ages.

Of course, for every Stempniak that makes it, there's 2 dozen guys with similar stats that don't. Just have to hope Agostino is the outlier like Stemps.

#20 piscera.infada
May 14 2013, 08:35PM

I have a few friends that attend Yale, and they have all claimed he has a similar playing style to Ryan Callahan. As I haven't seen him live, I can't really comment. But if that's an accurate comparison I'll take it any day.