Flames first round targets 2013: Sean Monahan

Kent Wilson
May 16 2013 10:13AM

 


 

Sean Monahan is probably guy who will end up as Calgary's first pick this June. In just about every mock draft or consensus draft board he lands right in Calgary's range (6th-8th overall). Monahan also ticks a lot of boxes for the organization: a big, smart center with good offensive and two-way ability.

The 6'02"195 pound pivot has an October 12, 1994 birthday and is one of the oldest draft eligible players available this year. It's not like the extra year has inflated his stock however - even if Monhahan was a few weeks older and therefore draft eligible in 2012 he would have been a top-10 pick thanks to a 33-goal, 78-point effort that season.

He replicated those numbers this year, garnering 31 goals and 78 points, albeit in a few less games. His team, the Ottawa '67s, was one of the very worst clubs in the OHL this time around, however, managing just 16 wins in a 68 game season and ending up with a goal differential of -115 (!). The next best scorer on the club accumulated just 40 points, a full 38 points (!) behind Monahan, who was basically a one man show up front for Ottawa all year.

Given those circumstances, it's a minor miracle he managed to marginally raise his point-per-game pace over his previous season.

The Scouting Reports

Sometimes you can find contradictory scouting reports on prospects, but the consensus around Monhahan seems to be pretty strong and consistent. He's a center who can play in almost any situation, has good offensive capabilities, but isn't going to blow anyone away with blazing speed or flashy moves.

Corey Pronman of Puck Prospectus (who both scouts players himself and talks to numerous NHL scouts for their input) ranked Monahan the 7th best prospect in the draft and had this to say about him:

Monahan is a smart two-way player who has shined in the OHL over the past two seasons. His ability as an offensive playmaker is high end, as he has tremendous instincts, displaying the ability to make quality passes. Monahan regularly shows the ability to slow the game down. He controls play from the perimeter on the power play. He is patient, creative, and he does not simply rely on one dimension, either. He has good puck skills; while they still lag behind his hockey sense, he can make some defensemen miss.

Monahan possesses good size (in order to shoulder off checks). If defenders try to overplay the pass, he has a great shot, and he can finish from medium range if given the chance. His skating is fairly average. He is not a total liability on his feet, but his skating stands out as the least impressive aspect of his game. Monahan projects as a quality defensive center, capable of winning faceoffs consistently.

Brock Otten of the always useful OHL prospects blog more or less echoes Pronman's take on the player, ranking him the number one OHL prospect way back in October:

At this point, Monahan still has to be considered the top player available from the OHL. Nothing has changed in the past 6 months or so. He's a potential franchise centerman. Despite the 67's struggles and their lack of secondary scoring, Monahan still has the best point per game average in the league. He's nearly a one man show right now. His play away from the puck is top notch. He thinks the game on another level. And offensively, he's mulch-faceted. Monahan is one of the most complete players to come out of the OHL in recent years.

That said, he's not an explosive player. He's not the world's best skater and he's not flashy. You really have to watch him a lot to gain an appreciation for the type of player he is.

In some ways, Monahan's scouting reports sounds a lot like recent CHL graduates Gabriel Landeskog and Sean Courturier, both of whom were considered more or less "NHL ready" right out of the draft because of their size and the completeness of their games. Neither guy has set the world on fire offensively in the NHL at this point, but both are already playing tough competition and surviving/thriving in the show as kids. T

hey aren't the showy, explosive talents of a Patrick Kane or Alex Ovechkin, but they are the kind of players who become key pieces on good teams for years.

The Numbers

As we showed here previously, Monahan is part of the "second tier" of offensive talents in terms of output in this draft, just below heavy hitters with NHL equivalencies (NHLE) of 40 or better. As Jonathan Willis shows here, Monahan's NHLE of 33 nevertheless puts him in good company historically, including guys like Rick Nash (33), Dustin Brown (32) and Mike Richards (32). Keep in mind, however, Monahan's output was probably suppressed by the low quality of his teammates this season - on a better team, it's very likely he's an 80-or-90 point player this season, so his NHLE might be understating his real offensive talent.

To add some context to Monahan's results, I went through his gamesheets to determine his percentage of team offense as well as his even strength and powerplay points splits. Here's how things settled out:

%Team: 40.8% (78 points on 191 team goals)

%ES: 47.4% (37 of 78 points)

%PP: 48.7% (38 of 78 points)

The results are ambiguous. Monahan's percentage of team scoring is astronomically high for a kid in his draft year at just over 40%, but his ES/PP split is one of the worst I've seen since I started looking at these numbers. This can be interpreted in two ways: first, that his team was so poor at ES that it crushed his ability to put up points in that game state. Second, that Monahan's offensive output is overly reliant on the man advantage and is therefore somewhat overstated. 

We can't look at valuable underlying numbers like shooting percentages or time on ice, so it's difficult to say just what is the culprit for his lousy splits. The scouts are pretty unanimous in this player's overall game and he's been on the radar for two seasons, so I'm tempted to give Monahan the benefit of the doubt given just how poor his team was this season.

Conclusion

There's some minor red flags when it comes to Sean Monahan: he is a older than most of his draft eligible peers, he's not an explosive skater or dominant offensive talent and his ES/PP points splits this year are worrying. 

On the other hand, he's widely considered the best forward available out of the OHL this season and probably would have been top-end draft pick even if he was available in 2012. His combination of size, strength and hockey IQ is a good one and reminiscent of some of the better two-way players who have been picked in the top-10 recently. 

Recently Around the Nation

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
Former Nations Overlord. Current Fn contributor and curmudgeon For questions, complaints, criticisms, etc contact Kent @ kent.wilson@gmail. Follow him on Twitter here.
Avatar
#1 Stockley
May 16 2013, 10:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I for one hope they get this kid unless one of the more high-end talents slips to the Flames at 6th. Calgary cannot afford to miss with this draft pick. There might be some sexier names out there who have more of a 'wow' factor, but the fact this guy seems consistent, responsible defensively and already above average on the draw means he is exactly what this team has been looking for. Every prospect has a few red flags attached, the fact Monahan has been on the radar so long means scouts and we arm-chair GMs have had longer to pick his game apart much like Couturier a couple years ago.

Avatar
#2 Jeff Lebowski
May 16 2013, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Has any of these mock draft sites been pretty spot on with how actual drafts have played out?

Regardless of people's opinions of Feaster and Weisbrod, they are picking and based on last year they had a vastly different opinion than consensus. Forget Janko, they had Seiloff at 21 or something like that. What did their board actually look like? They have their own criteria.

Even other teams made selections that seemed quite different (perhaps not as different than CGY) as I recall (could be wrong).

As fans, we're relying on non team scouting and mock drafts. What are these people's criteria? Perhaps these assumptions are very wrong. I think there will be a few surprises all through the draft.

Avatar
#3 McRib
May 16 2013, 01:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

At 78 points Sean Monahan had 38 MORE POINTS than the next player on his team!!! Considering if he played on Halifax he would have had seven teammates with that many points. If he played on a better team would have hit 80-90 points in his sleep, as a result offensive ceiling is grossly underrated because of his league worst team and ES points should not even be a concern, as last year he was a solid ES scorer on a decent team.

The Ottawa 67s have the top draft pick, future star and likely OHL rookie of the year Travis Konecny to join Monahan next season, so he is in for a big year offensively. I just hope that when he is leading the OHL in scoring next year, Flames fans are the ones getting excited about him and not Buffalo or Edmonton. Any other year this kid would be a Top. 3 Pick. I was able to watch him two seasons ago at the U18 Canadian Summer Camp and he was the best player on the ice period (Considering Ten 2012 First Rounders were at that camp it says something) Hockey IQ is through the roof and unbelievable character as well.

Avatar
#4 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
May 16 2013, 11:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
BurningSensation wrote:

Out of all the top end guys, Monahan is the only one that makes me think 'Daniel Tkachuk II' is a serious possibility.

I think someone else said something similar above, but I;

- Dream that Barkov somehow makes it to us.

- Hope that as a consolation prize for not getting Barkov we get Lindholm. Plus, in the even that Lindholm is actually superior to Barkov we can say we always knew.

- If it is between Nichushkin and Monahan, I lean towards the big Russian who has a higher upside. I'm partial to high skill big men with wheels. ISS and others have him in the top 3

- Expect at worst we get Monahan, a guy who was really good on a very bad team. I think the extra powerplay production and the lack of linemates arguments likely even each other out to a degree. I actually like him fine, but worry he ends up being a good checking center instead of a Toews like destroyer of worlds.

McKeens, Redline Sports, Future Considerations, and Hockey Prospectus will all be releasing their Draft Guides later this month, so we should get a better idea of these players.

As for the Monahan-Lindholm debate, I`m firmly in the Monahan camp. Big, skilled centers with elite-two way ability don`t grow on trees. Plus, I don`t get the man-love Lindholm gets as a potential franchise center.

Reasons Lindholm scares me:

1. Yet another small European center. 2. Struggled until Jarnkrok showed up in December on loan; miraculously found his game thereafter. 3. According to all scouts does not possess elite sniping ability. Most consider him above-average or average in this regard. However, he does supposedly possess elite vision and play-making ability, to go along with above-average skating, although no one considers him to be an elite skater. 4. Was held scoreless and finished a minus-5 in four playoff games this month. 5. Is just average in the face-off dot.

It may just be me, but Lindholm does not really inspire faith in me that he can be a first-line center in the NHL, let alone a franchise center. In fact, he may have to move to the wing to find success in the NHL. (To tell you the truth, whenever I watch his highlights, I can`t help but be reminded of Tanguay in his prime. Tanguay didn`t possess the two-way ability that Lindholm is projected to have (although no one considers him to be elite in this regard, again) but an offensive game heavily predicated on passing and vision, as opposed to goal scoring acumen, is something both share.

Monahan, on the other hand, is projected by a majority of scouts to either become an above-average second line center at the very least, or, if he can continue to show progress in his skating, an average first-line center with great leadership qualities. And let`s not forget he is already 6`2, close to 200 lbs, and is a beast in the face-off circle. Moreover, he is considered to have an excellent wrister and shot from mid-range, and is capable of muscling his way to the net given his size and strength.

Considering we haven`t even seen an `average first line center in Calgary in twenty years, maybe we should take the so-called safe pick and take a teen with a good chance of becoming that leader for us in the future.

Avatar
#5 Franko J
May 17 2013, 04:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I say make the sure pick and take Monahan.

I look at St. Louis with Backes, LA with Kopitar, Anaheim and Getzlaf, not to mention Toews in Chicago, and the only way Calgary can compete with these teams is to begin drafting and developing centres like these ones.

Whoever the Flames pick with the sixth pick he has to be a game changer. He has to be player who other teams are worried to play against. Right now looking at the Flames current roster and future prospects there are very few game changers.

One intangible which I feel is very important is the "compete level". Which player in this draft who is willing to get greasy and go to the "hard areas"? If I was deciding between Lindholm, Monahan, Nichuskin, and Nurse, etc. I would select the player who hates to lose. Something this team has not had since Fleury and Roberts left this team.

While not flashy, Monahan has proven that he posses some of the above mentioned intangibles, that is why I would make him a pick at six.

If they pass on Monahan, IMO the next center who could fit into the Flames is John Hayden, another big center. Like O'Rielly in a few years the team who picks this player will reap the rewards and other teams will be saying why didn't we draft this guy.

Avatar
#6 JayD54
May 17 2013, 08:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

This is a player that I would like to see in Flames colors.

If, indeed, it comes down to a choice between Lindholm and Monahan, I would take the Canadian kid. Not because he's Canadian, don't get me wrong, but given that he has played in the rigorous CHL schedule and performed well on a poor squad. As well, he's shown leadership qualities, something that cannot be overlooked either.

If Barkov slips to the Flames number 6 slot, I would be shocked. That would raise more question marks in my mind that a player of that stature would be overlooked by the five teams drafting ahead of that pick.

Oh, and Kent I would like to know if you are going to do a series on Calgary and area draft-eligible. In particular Dillon Heatherington would be of interest, given that he has received more attention since his notable performance at the U18 tourney.

Avatar
#7 SmellOfVictory
May 16 2013, 10:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Can't wait to see the report on Lindholm. I think the most interesting thing for most of us will be the comparison between the two (and Barkov, as a long shot).

Avatar
#8 Colin.S
May 16 2013, 10:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

So the big issue is, is he another Rob Schremp, or is he another Courturier? Ugh that is a not an enviable position.

I for one still hold out hope that Nashville or Anaheim do something silly and not take one of Lindholm or Barkov or take a Dman and we can take either on of those guys. If not I guess this isn't a bad choice, but damnit, I mean at the worst he'll still be a capable possession type guy even if he doesn't score at all right?

Avatar
#9 BurningSensation
May 16 2013, 10:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I think Monahan represents the 'worst case scenario' (depending on how you feel about Nichushkin), and it looks pretty good.

Avatar
#11 Craig
May 16 2013, 11:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

The Powerplay points scare me, but I still think he would develop into a good player. Mostly because of the fact that he carried a team on his back and ended up doing decently. His even strength was probably low because he didn't have a single quality team mate, and he was definitely deployed against top lines while being targeted as the only offensive threat on a team.

The other red flag is the age, the reason I like Barkov so much is that he is excelling at a younger age, hopefully Monohan hasnt hit a development wall.

Between Monohan and Lindholm I think there is a tough choice to be made. I feel right not I'd be happy with either.

Avatar
#12 Baalzamon
May 16 2013, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I prefer Lindholm, but I will not be at all disappointed if this is the guy the Flames take. at 6th. It's entirely possible that Lindholm will go higher than 6th, anyway.

@Colin.S

Anaheim???????????? Might you mean Tampa or Carolina?

Avatar
#13 Colin.S
May 16 2013, 11:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Baalzamon

LOL yeah, how did I get Carolina and Anaheim mixed up, what the hell was I smoking. TB is taking one of the big three, Nashville or Carolina at 4/5 we need to hope take a D or someone not named Barkov or Lindholm.

@Kent

So at the worst, he could be a better Backlund, maybe a bit better possession player, but probably same offensive output. But probably won't reach Schremp levels of uselessness at the NHL level.

Avatar
#14 Baalzamon
May 16 2013, 11:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Jeff Lebowski

I wouldn't judge consensus accuracy based on last year's draft. There was a complete and utter lack of consensus in that draft, and essentially players from #4 to #35 had basically no difference whatsoever in value (obviously this is an exaggeration, but not as extreme as one might expect).

Craig Button, for example, had Jankowski at #14 (in spite of the insistence from practically everyone that no one had ever heard of Jankowski).

Avatar
#15 seve927
May 16 2013, 11:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Regarding the PP/ES split, to try to establish context: I would think the reason it would be a concern is in a place like Portland where they have a wickedly potent power play that can put several elite players on the ice at once. It would be much more likely in that situation that a player's stats would be artificially inflated. In this case, I'd say it's a positive that an outstanding defensive player can dominate on the power play as well, without much help.

Avatar
#16 mact.08
May 16 2013, 11:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I have never seen him play myself, but if there are comparrisons to Coutourie and landeskog, I wouldn't complain. Would he be ready to go next year? Possibly in a 3rd line role with stajan and backs in the 1st two spots?

Avatar
#18 SmellOfVictory
May 16 2013, 11:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Speaking of Lindholm, if anyone's interested in a half-assed points comparison, I checked his multipoint games (too lazy to check all games) and it looks like he's also roughly a 50/50 split between PP and ES from what I've seen.

Avatar
#20 piscera.infada
May 16 2013, 11:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Kent Wilson

I'll remain the cockeyed optimist and say, there is no way in hell Feaster and Co. go off the board at #6.

Last year was a different situation, as I think has been pointed out ad nauseum during all this draft talk.

Avatar
#21 seve927
May 16 2013, 11:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Possibly. On the other hand it's also possible because of their lack of other options the 67's put Monahan out there for 2 minutes of just about every PP they had, meaning he had a ton of PP minutes, more than one would reasonably expect a guy to get going forward, inflating his totals.

Good point. Do you know how much power play time is typically split up in junior? I watched Swift Current (another one line team) a few times this year, and Lowry and Black, especially in the playoffs got huge even strength minutes and basically all the power play time. If they'd had any support, they would have walked all over the Hitmen. They were just too fatigued to make a difference later in the game.

I would still take away that he's good enough offensively to give those minutes to, and he's recording the points without much help. Hard to know without more information.

Avatar
#22 T&A4Flames
May 16 2013, 11:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Kent, it would be interesting to see his numbers from the previous year as, I believe, the 67's were one of the top teams.

As it stands, I am a little concerned about his ES%, skating and the fact that he was projected as a "quality defensive center, capable of winning faceoffs consistently." Not that wouldn't be nice, but we need the guys who are projected to be high offensive output guys. All things considered and from other things I have read on Monahan, I would not be upset if that is who we draft next month. Just as long as Feaster doesn't take him ahead of Barkov should he fall.

Avatar
#23 Parallex
May 16 2013, 11:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I'd prefer Lindholm but I wouldn't be disappointed at all if the Flames were to take Monahan. I'm holding out hope that Barkov slips to us and we don't have to make the choice but I'd be happy with any of the three.

Avatar
#24 Bean-counting cowboy
May 16 2013, 12:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

To pull off those numbers when the other team's best D and best shut-down players are keying in on you (not even 2 or 3 guys, but just you) is a pretty impressive feat.

Avatar
#25 Graham
May 16 2013, 12:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

'He is not a total liability on his feet,'

The skating comments concern me, past history with Flames picks show how hard it is to improve in this area.

Avatar
#26 the-wolf
May 16 2013, 12:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Kent, we all know his team sucked around him this year, but they were strong the prior season.

I'd like to believe his poor split with pp/es is due to linemates, the pp comepnsating for that.

So, that said, have you run the same analysis on his numbers from the year before when he had quality linemates? What was his pp/es split then?

That should answer some questions.

Avatar
#27 Jeff Lebowski
May 16 2013, 12:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Kent Wilson

I agree, for the purposes of content about the draft you have to go with available info.

We've all seen differences from team v consensus. Not just hockey either, as recently as the NFL draft the Dolphins lost their all pro left tackle. The traded up and everyone expected them to take an OT. They took a DE.

What is intriguing to me is what Calgary is looking for. If its obvious size than its hard to say there are different perceptions of size. If its hockey sense, then what does that mean exactly? If the mock sites say Monahan has high hockey sense, does Weisbrod too? I think he said as much when describing how they evaluate. Perhaps that's why Janko and Seiloff were drafted as they were?

If then you are looking for a centre that fits your bill, perhaps it's not the consensus. Perhaps you opt for a d man who fits your bill (Nurse, Ristolainen) and think you can get your 'perfect' centre lower (Gauthier or somebody).

I'm guessing obviously and to be honest, I'm hoping for a dynamic offensive player at 6. If the comparison of Monahan is Courturier I'm not impressed. The latter doesn't seem to be that untouchable player. This is another reason to trade up for me. If Monahan is Toews than yeah but Toews is a great skater.

I'm anticipating your report on Lindholm.

Avatar
#28 suba steve
May 16 2013, 12:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I agree, as many have stated on FN recently, that the Flames really cannot afford to F this pick up. The hard part then is--how the hell do you ensure that you don't do just that? In '97 they took Daniel Tkaczuk at #6 and he seemed a good safe pick. In '98 it was Rico Fata at #6 and that one was a stretch at #6(Bob McKenzie immediatly called it a bad pick on the draft broadcast, ouch). Neither of those picks worked out.

So I guess my point is, there are no "safe" picks. This kid seems to have a lot of great attributes and some red flags, as do they all. I'm glad it's not up to me and I pray that the Flame scouting staff are good at what they do, but above all I hope they get LUCKY.

Avatar
#29 please cancel acct
May 16 2013, 01:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

We can only work with the info we have. It goes without saying that the Flames could be working off totally different assumptions.

In 2012, we pretty much nailed the fact they would pick Sven Baertschi using this kind of methodology. In 2013, the team traded down a couple and then went off board mid-20's. Impossible to anticipate really.

The higher you get to the top, the less out of left field picks you see, typically. Usually the choice is between a couple of guys when you're in the top five and then the field widens incrementally the farther you get from there.

Still, it's possible the Flames favor some US college bound defender or something and end calling a name none of us expect at 6th overall.

Would,nt surprise me a bit if they took Adam Erme with there first pick.

Avatar
#30 shutout
May 16 2013, 01:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

It seems that Monahan does not have the high end skating or offensive skills and when he is being compared to an NHL player it is usually Staal.

Right now it is looking like he is more Jordan Staal as opposed to Eric Staal. Maybe this year with no help it was more difficult to put up the offensive numbers as its easier for teams to focus on containing you when they dont have to worry about somebody else.

I think that based on everything that you read it sounds like Lindholm is the better prospect. Almost a year younger, plays at a mens league level and succeeds, is faster, better skater, and has a higher hockey iq.

I would prefer the Flames draft Lindholm over Monahan, but in some ways with this management group and the fact that the Oilers are picking next, I almost want them to be left with the last of the three centers so there arent any comparisons or second guessing for decades to come.

Seems like the big three. Followed by the three centers. Then some defensemen. With the russian being the wildcard in it all.

Avatar
#31 Baalzamon
May 16 2013, 01:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@shutout

"I think that based on everything that you read it sounds like Lindholm is the better prospect. Almost a year younger, plays at a mens league level and succeeds, is faster, better skater, and has a higher hockey iq."

to be fair, Lindholm is actually less than two months younger than Monahan.

Monahan: October 12

Lindholm: December 2

Avatar
#33 icedawg_42
May 16 2013, 01:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Actually Lindholm is also an older guy with a December 1994 birthday.

Barkov is the guy who is almost a year younger.

Im looking forward to your prospectus on Lindholm as well - frankly I'm a bit more interested in him than in Monahan (not to say that the latter wouldn't be a good pick in my opinion). To me Barkov is a non starter, because he's almost guaranteed to be gone at #6

Avatar
#34 T&A4Flames
May 16 2013, 02:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

So much for the trade possibilities with CAR as it looks like Eric Staal will be out for a bit. Unless, of course we can add Stajan to a package to help them through for a bit. :)

Avatar
#35 the-wolf
May 16 2013, 05:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
McRib wrote:

At 78 points Sean Monahan had 38 MORE POINTS than the next player on his team!!! Considering if he played on Halifax he would have had seven teammates with that many points. If he played on a better team would have hit 80-90 points in his sleep, as a result offensive ceiling is grossly underrated because of his league worst team and ES points should not even be a concern, as last year he was a solid ES scorer on a decent team.

The Ottawa 67s have the top draft pick, future star and likely OHL rookie of the year Travis Konecny to join Monahan next season, so he is in for a big year offensively. I just hope that when he is leading the OHL in scoring next year, Flames fans are the ones getting excited about him and not Buffalo or Edmonton. Any other year this kid would be a Top. 3 Pick. I was able to watch him two seasons ago at the U18 Canadian Summer Camp and he was the best player on the ice period (Considering Ten 2012 First Rounders were at that camp it says something) Hockey IQ is through the roof and unbelievable character as well.

OK, so that answers my question: "What was his pp/es split last year on a better squad?"

Sort of anyways. McRib, do you have the actual numbers?

Avatar
#36 BurningSensation
May 16 2013, 09:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Out of all the top end guys, Monahan is the only one that makes me think 'Daniel Tkachuk II' is a serious possibility.

I think someone else said something similar above, but I;

- Dream that Barkov somehow makes it to us.

- Hope that as a consolation prize for not getting Barkov we get Lindholm. Plus, in the even that Lindholm is actually superior to Barkov we can say we always knew.

- If it is between Nichushkin and Monahan, I lean towards the big Russian who has a higher upside. I'm partial to high skill big men with wheels. ISS and others have him in the top 3

- Expect at worst we get Monahan, a guy who was really good on a very bad team. I think the extra powerplay production and the lack of linemates arguments likely even each other out to a degree. I actually like him fine, but worry he ends up being a good checking center instead of a Toews like destroyer of worlds.

Avatar
#37 SmellOfVictory
May 17 2013, 09:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

The more I look at Monahan and Lindholm, the more I want Barkov. Maybe moving up to 4th would be worth it, depending what needs to be given up.

Avatar
#38 Parallex
May 17 2013, 09:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@JayD54

I wouldn't... I'd take the Swede since I give more value to the guy that's showed that he can play in an adult league. Lindholm has played predominantly against men while Monahan has played predominantly against boys. And really when you add in all the international stuff Lindholm actually played more games then Monahan.

Happy with either but I'd give the nod to Lindholm.

Avatar
#39 T&A4Flames
May 17 2013, 10:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Franko J wrote:

I say make the sure pick and take Monahan.

I look at St. Louis with Backes, LA with Kopitar, Anaheim and Getzlaf, not to mention Toews in Chicago, and the only way Calgary can compete with these teams is to begin drafting and developing centres like these ones.

Whoever the Flames pick with the sixth pick he has to be a game changer. He has to be player who other teams are worried to play against. Right now looking at the Flames current roster and future prospects there are very few game changers.

One intangible which I feel is very important is the "compete level". Which player in this draft who is willing to get greasy and go to the "hard areas"? If I was deciding between Lindholm, Monahan, Nichuskin, and Nurse, etc. I would select the player who hates to lose. Something this team has not had since Fleury and Roberts left this team.

While not flashy, Monahan has proven that he posses some of the above mentioned intangibles, that is why I would make him a pick at six.

If they pass on Monahan, IMO the next center who could fit into the Flames is John Hayden, another big center. Like O'Rielly in a few years the team who picks this player will reap the rewards and other teams will be saying why didn't we draft this guy.

"I say make the sure pick and take Monahan."

You say this and them you say, "Whoever the Flames pick with the sixth pick he has to be a game changer."

Once we are passed Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon and Barkov, you are either taking the safe pick in a player like Monahan or you are reaching a bit for "game changer" like CGY did last year with Jankowski. Although, not quite as risky at #6.

If Monahan is considered the BPA then take him. He may be a game changer or he may just be a steady, reliable very good 2nd line C.

I really want Barkov, though.

Avatar
#40 Baalzamon
May 17 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@JayD54

"If Barkov slips to the Flames number 6 slot, I would be shocked. That would raise more question marks in my mind that a player of that stature would be overlooked by the five teams drafting ahead of that pick."

Not for me. If that happens (it won't), it'll be because he's injured.

Does anyone else see a (remote) possibility that Nashville takes Monahan?

Avatar
#41 the-wolf
May 17 2013, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

McKeens, Redline Sports, Future Considerations, and Hockey Prospectus will all be releasing their Draft Guides later this month, so we should get a better idea of these players.

As for the Monahan-Lindholm debate, I`m firmly in the Monahan camp. Big, skilled centers with elite-two way ability don`t grow on trees. Plus, I don`t get the man-love Lindholm gets as a potential franchise center.

Reasons Lindholm scares me:

1. Yet another small European center. 2. Struggled until Jarnkrok showed up in December on loan; miraculously found his game thereafter. 3. According to all scouts does not possess elite sniping ability. Most consider him above-average or average in this regard. However, he does supposedly possess elite vision and play-making ability, to go along with above-average skating, although no one considers him to be an elite skater. 4. Was held scoreless and finished a minus-5 in four playoff games this month. 5. Is just average in the face-off dot.

It may just be me, but Lindholm does not really inspire faith in me that he can be a first-line center in the NHL, let alone a franchise center. In fact, he may have to move to the wing to find success in the NHL. (To tell you the truth, whenever I watch his highlights, I can`t help but be reminded of Tanguay in his prime. Tanguay didn`t possess the two-way ability that Lindholm is projected to have (although no one considers him to be elite in this regard, again) but an offensive game heavily predicated on passing and vision, as opposed to goal scoring acumen, is something both share.

Monahan, on the other hand, is projected by a majority of scouts to either become an above-average second line center at the very least, or, if he can continue to show progress in his skating, an average first-line center with great leadership qualities. And let`s not forget he is already 6`2, close to 200 lbs, and is a beast in the face-off circle. Moreover, he is considered to have an excellent wrister and shot from mid-range, and is capable of muscling his way to the net given his size and strength.

Considering we haven`t even seen an `average first line center in Calgary in twenty years, maybe we should take the so-called safe pick and take a teen with a good chance of becoming that leader for us in the future.

I've debated this endlessly because every time you read a scouting report Monahan sounds like he has more upside, yet lindholm is always the consensus higher pick.

I've thought of the Tkatzuk comparison too, but Monahan definitely wins in size, faceoffs, etc. Calgary NEEDS a big center.

Your POINT 2) I've wondered that myself, darn glad you brought it up.

Kent, in Lindholm's profile, could you include a WOWY with and without Jarnkrok.

Plus, ANYONE, what was the pp/es split on Monahan the PRIOR season? When he had great linemates? It could answer some questions.

Avatar
#42 T&A4Flames
May 17 2013, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Baalzamon wrote:

"If Barkov slips to the Flames number 6 slot, I would be shocked. That would raise more question marks in my mind that a player of that stature would be overlooked by the five teams drafting ahead of that pick."

Not for me. If that happens (it won't), it'll be because he's injured.

Does anyone else see a (remote) possibility that Nashville takes Monahan?

I can see it. I don't think NSH would have a strong Euro scout group because they are a budget team. And with Barkov being injured, they may very well go for the safer NA centerman. It's unlikely, but there is a slim chance.

I wouldn't say that is the only possibility either. Nothing ever goes according to the list because everyone works off a different (their own) list.

Avatar
#43 JayP
May 17 2013, 11:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Kent,

Have you looked at Monahan's numbers from his season prior to last? Seeing his ES/PP splits from that season where he had a couple of other dominant players on his team could make things a little more clear.

Avatar
#44 Dank
May 17 2013, 12:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I'd rather have Lindholm, because he seems to have a higher ceiling than Monahan, but I really do like Sean Monahan. I think the fact that he's one of the older players in the draft is moot. Wasn't SVEN one of the older players in the 2011 draft?

Avatar
#45 SmellOfVictory
May 17 2013, 03:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Dank wrote:

I'd rather have Lindholm, because he seems to have a higher ceiling than Monahan, but I really do like Sean Monahan. I think the fact that he's one of the older players in the draft is moot. Wasn't SVEN one of the older players in the 2011 draft?

Yup, Sven was roughly equivalent to Monahan age-wise. It's not always the worst thing in the world, but it is something to keep in mind. Other other things being roughly equal, it's generally a smarter move to go with the younger of two players. A year can mean a lot.

Avatar
#46 EugeneV
May 19 2013, 04:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Parallex

I'm not sure if the OHL is less of a "men's league" than anything barring the NHL, AHL and possibly the KHL. So please stop using that analogy.

Avatar
#47 EugeneV
May 19 2013, 05:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Sean Monahan Born: October 12, 1994 6'2" 193lbs

Regular Season Ottawa 67's

Age GP G A Pts +/- Pim 2012-13 18 58 31 47 78 -18 24 2011-12 17 62 33 45 78 25 38 2010-11 16 65 20 27 47 24 32 Total: 185 84 119 203 31 94

I WENT THROUGH ALL THE 2011-12 GAMES AND PLEASE FIND BELOW THE STATS YOU NEED.

2011-12 PP points 23 29% ES points 55 71% Total pts 78 100%

I really hope the Flames don't pick another Backlund (Lindholm) and go with Monahan.

Canadian boys will skate through brick walls to win a cup. Europeans will hope to sip Espresso's on the way back to Europe to play at the World Championships.

Avatar
#48 Jackson
May 20 2013, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Nichushkin may be the best bet for Calgary.

Avatar
#49 the-wolf
May 21 2013, 07:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
EugeneV wrote:

Sean Monahan Born: October 12, 1994 6'2" 193lbs

Regular Season Ottawa 67's

Age GP G A Pts +/- Pim 2012-13 18 58 31 47 78 -18 24 2011-12 17 62 33 45 78 25 38 2010-11 16 65 20 27 47 24 32 Total: 185 84 119 203 31 94

I WENT THROUGH ALL THE 2011-12 GAMES AND PLEASE FIND BELOW THE STATS YOU NEED.

2011-12 PP points 23 29% ES points 55 71% Total pts 78 100%

I really hope the Flames don't pick another Backlund (Lindholm) and go with Monahan.

Canadian boys will skate through brick walls to win a cup. Europeans will hope to sip Espresso's on the way back to Europe to play at the World Championships.

Thank you for that info. That clarifies things for me. Obviously his pp/es split this year was due more to linemates.

Comments are closed for this article.