June 30 2013 10:37AM
Rumors and Speculation continue to swirl in advance of the draft. Seems there will be a lot fo fireworks today and the Nation Network will be sure to have you covered.
For the Flames, the main event probably isn't the trades but the draft itself. For the first time in draft history, the club has 3 first round picks. Calgary has not chosen as high as 6th since 1998 when they took (sigh) Rico Fata. Today is an opportunity for the organization to significantly re-stock their rather barren prospect cupboard and take a firm step towards becoming a contender again.
Flames Draft Picks
The Flames have 8 choices as things stand, including:
- 6th overall (their own)
- 22nd overall (Blues)
- 28th overall (Pens)
Calgary has no 2nd round pick (Cammalleri trade) or 4th round pick (Corban Knight trade). Word is the club is trying to do deal Mike Cammalleri today, so it's possible he'll be moved to fill in the middle round gaps. Assuming anyone wants Im that is.
There is also a wide range of other rumors involving the Flames and such teams as Boston, Philly and Winnipeg, but there's no guarantee any of that will come to fruition.
Flames Draft Targets
As regular readers know, we have been covering potential draft targets here at FN for the better part of a month. Here's all those profiles again:
- Ryan Hartman
- Steve Santini
- Valery Nichushkin
- Nicolas Petan
- Josh Morrisey
- Elias Lindholm
- Aleksandr Barkov
- Sean Monahan
- Other Guys (Mantha, Erne, Klimchuk, Burakowsky)
Mock Drafts and other Resources
For more information on the draft in general, here are a few links to help you out today...
- NHLNumbers Top-100 Consensus Rankings
- Nations Network Mock Draft
- Future Considerations
- Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus
- CoppernBlue Comparables Series
- CHL prospect usage data <--- (this is awesome)
- Defensemen and the draft (summation: don't draft defenders high unless they are scoring more than 0.6 PPG at junior level)
- Why you shouldn't draft goalies in the first round (I)
- Why you shouldn't draft goalies...(II)
- Why you shouldn't...(III)
- Why you shouldn't...(IIII)
Click around before and during the draft. And be prepared to hurl your computer in disgust if the Flames pick Zach Fucale or a "defensive defenseman" with one of their first rounders.
Of course, FN will offer near instant analysis for any Flames related news that occurs today. Here's hoping Calgary can land some good talent this afternoon.