Flames take Emile Poirer 22nd overall

June 30 2013 03:39PM

Émile Poirier

- pic via flovalser

Although consensus top-10 offensive talent (and Calgary born) Hunter Shinkaruk was still on the board when the Flames took the podium, the Flames instead chose to be the first team to go well off-board in the first round by choosing QMJHL left winger Emile Poirier.

Ranked 57th in the NHLNumbers concensus rankings, Poirier scored 70 points in 65 games for Gatineau, including 32 goals (NHLE = 25). He also had 101 PIM's, suggesting a bit of an edge to his game. Poirier is 6'1" and 183 pounds and known for good speed and quality offensive instincts.

Jay Feaster claimed the team had Poirier amongst their top-10 available prospects. The 18-year old led his team in scoring by a full 16 points, and the guy who was second is 19 years old, so Calgary may have found something with this pick. It's too bad they weren't willing to gamble by waiting to see if he could drop to 28 given his consensus rankings, but we'll see how things sort out down the road.

#1 bookofloob
June 30 2013, 03:40PM

ANGER

#2 Ryan Lambert
June 30 2013, 03:41PM

I just want to point out that all my pessimism about Feaster's drafting ability is now vindicated.

#3 LanderW
June 30 2013, 03:42PM

Not anger from me, but bafflement and perhaps frustration. Still, reading up on some scouting reports of Poirer leads to some positive thoughts as well..

Time will be the greatest judge.

#4 Scott Lemieux
June 30 2013, 03:43PM

Fester: "we had a strategy coming in and we're going to stick to it."

So, if I understand correctly, he had a draft strategy in which the other players available at the time of the pick wasn't taken into account? Ye gods that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I expect Feaster to take a goalie with the 28th pick now.

#5 sathome
June 30 2013, 03:44PM

"Off the board" may be my new least favorite phrase.

#6 Skidplate
June 30 2013, 03:45PM

Feaster still the smartest man in the room. Groan..... Why not trade down? They must know that he was available later.

I am sorry, Flames fans. At least he didn't go off the board at #6.

#7 MC Hockey
June 30 2013, 03:46PM

Lets wait and see what happens with this Poirier...calm down a bit!

#8 Parallex
June 30 2013, 03:46PM

Reading a lot of positive scouting reports... from the video I've seen he's got really really really good wheels. 6'2ish and if PIMs are any gauge some edge.

I have no complants.

#9 Rocknrolla
June 30 2013, 03:47PM

That was a reach folks!

Good pick in Monahan tho

#10 CDB
June 30 2013, 03:48PM

I like what I've read about him. Don't understand why he was ranked so low, which scares me as there must be some weakness in his game. I'd they truly wanted him that bad(claiming he was in their top 10), take him at 28 or trade jnto to second round. He would have been available

As for Shinkaruk, there were clearly some concerns regarding his game since this concencua top 10 pick fell. That happens, and I would have liked the flames to get him but lets not act like they passed on Drouin. Also, ya nice story that he's from Calgary but drafting because its a feel good story with the hometown kid is asking for trouble. See Montreal havin to draft French players or some flames Hitmen picks (Brent Krahn, at draft in Calgary). Jus pick the best player. So while I get the outrage if people wanted him picked because of the player he is, drop the hometown hero angle

#11 Skidplate
June 30 2013, 03:49PM

Calgary is proud to select from Portland: Oliver Bjorkstrand

#12 TheBear64
June 30 2013, 03:49PM

Feaster is a moron. Calgary deserves better than to be saddled with this idiot. Pass up on a great offensive player (remember, we need offense, guys?) for a guy way out in left field. Another Jankowski move. He was on nobody's radar, and could easily have been picked up at 28th. Meanwhile you hand Shinkaruk on a silver platter to your biggest rival. Vancouver must have been stunned to see Feaster take a pass on Shinkaruk.

#13 Kurt
June 30 2013, 03:50PM

Good thing Feaster traded JBo for a guy we could have drafted in the 3rd round. Astonishing fail.

#14 Skidplate
June 30 2013, 03:50PM

I keed, I keed.

I bet it is Ryan Hartman

#15 suba steve
June 30 2013, 03:51PM

Looks like a lot of picks are "off the board" at this point. Not unlike last year, who was going to guarantee that this player would be available at 28 or in a pick acquired in round two?

#16 Justin Azevedo
June 30 2013, 03:51PM

brutal pick

#17 Skidplate
June 30 2013, 03:51PM

@Kurt

I didn't even think of that. WOW!

#18 Scott Lemieux
June 30 2013, 03:53PM

Wow, Flames actually had Poirier's jersey ready:

Was just completely unwilling to adapt to Shinkaruk being available. What an embarrassment.

#19 the forgotten man
June 30 2013, 03:54PM

Nischukin/Shinaruk vs. Monahan/Poirier...Interesting times.

#20 vetinari
June 30 2013, 04:00PM

May I offer another suggestion for the next edition of the T-shirts?

"Feaster: Off the Board"

#21 vetinari
June 30 2013, 04:02PM

double post

#23 ChinookArch
June 30 2013, 04:05PM
Ryan Lambert wrote:

In fairness, you may want to wait for Shinkaruk to shine and Poirier to fail before you are vindicated.

#24 john peart
June 30 2013, 04:23PM

Really disappointed here .... why does Feaster continue to think he is so much smarter than every other hockey person alive .... seriously ..... not taking the Calgary kid and going with a guy that for sure would have been on the board at 28 ...... SERIOUSLY ?

#25 john peart
June 30 2013, 04:25PM
MC Hockey wrote:

Lets wait and see what happens with this Poirier...calm down a bit!

It is not the player, it's where we took him .....

#26 the forgotten man
June 30 2013, 04:30PM
john peart wrote:

Exactly...there is an incredibly fine line of success and failure at the top level of anything due to limited / talented resources (players and management) and fervent competition...due to abysmal draft pick management and arguable draft talent management, the Flames once again find themselves on the wrong side of the street...due to the very precarious position the Club is already in, it has almost zero room for error and arguably needs to make a number of incredibly daft trades / picks to find themselves within even sniffing distance of a Stanley Cup run in the next 5+ years.

#27 BJ
June 30 2013, 04:38PM

It's not the pick I would have made but it is a little out of place for us fans to cut down this pick so soon... let's give give this kid a chance at least.

#28 BJ
June 30 2013, 04:41PM

After the quality Feaster has picked up the last two years I think he gets the benefit of the doubt here... Baerstshi and Gaudreau were all picked on account of their draft philosophy...

I wouldn't have selected Klimchuk either but he was one of your (FN writers) targets.

#29 BJ
June 30 2013, 04:44PM

Santini at 42... wish we had a second round pick

#30 everton fc
June 30 2013, 05:03PM
the forgotten man wrote:

Nischukin/Shinaruk vs. Monahan/Poirier...Interesting times.

"This".

Amazing they felt Monahan a better pick than Nichuskin. And everyone would have picked Shinaruk over Poirier.

I do know Poirier is a gritty power forward unafraid of dropping the mitts. Question is - would he have been available with the 4th pick? Poirier, that is....

I would have taken McCarron over Poirier. And Shinaruk.

I would have taken Erne over Klimchuk. And Hartman.

Lipon still available. I'd take him in Round 3, if he's there to be had.

#31 44stampede
June 30 2013, 05:10PM

So trade down Feaster. What an idiot.

#32 schevvy
June 30 2013, 05:12PM

@everton fc

McCarron over Shinkaruk?? Really? I know he's big but nowhere near the offensive upside. Moot point now anyway

#33 everton fc
June 30 2013, 05:16PM

Maybe your right, Shevvy. Here's hoping Lipon still available with our next pick.

#34 RKD
June 30 2013, 05:28PM

Time will tell who wins this pick, does it say something the Poirier was taken higher and Hunter dropped from a potential top 10-15 and fell to 24? Why did so many other teams pass on this guy?

#35 Robb
June 30 2013, 05:38PM

I was surprised at the pick but our draft record since Weisbrod took over tells me to give them the benefit of the doubt. Remember, we were not the only team to pass on Shinkaruk..

#36 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
June 30 2013, 05:38PM

Mckeens had Poirier at 26. So not that big of a leap as some suggest.

#37 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
June 30 2013, 05:48PM

Here`s the Mckeens report:

Led Gatineau in goals, assists, and points during a breakout second season - and was an even bigger driving force in the playoffs (10-6-4-10, 39 shots) .. the Montreal native was selected 38th overall in the 2011 QMJHL draft .. SCOUTING REPORT .. a bustling sparkplug with skill, poise, and smarts .. powered by an exceptional engine and great tenacity - sticks with plays .. suffocating 200- foot presence - all over the ice .. skating can progress in areas .. needs to work on improving his lateral skating - and smooth out a stride that is slightly stiff and features an odd lunging shuffle .. feet stumble and move like flippers, altering angles unpredictably .. despite his mechanics however, he boasts a lethal acceleration gear .. shoots off the mark boosted by a rapid second and thirdstep burst that gets him to top speed rapidly - and is sustained by a steady, determined stride pattern .. dials up instant intensity .. opportunistic - and with a flair for getting breakaways .. creates opportunities with his hustle, game-reading, and startup quickness - and can capitalize thanks to fine stickhandling abilities and some sweet in-close finishing moves .. manages the puck intelligently, demonstrating excellent positional awareness and execution skills .. assesses risk judiciously - refrains from attempting low-percentage plays that might sacrifice possession .. adept at one-timers - packs a heavy, accurate slapshot .. productive and diligent player away from the puck - provides steady and stout lane coverage .. goes hard to the net - and to the heart of traffic - taking directs routes .. proficient at busting the zone, closing gaps, and rushing an opponent into premature actions .. excels as a defensive leftwing lock for linemates - igniting release plays exploiting his solid passing skills and his ability to slow the game down and process alternatives .. a well-rounded prospect and heart-and-soul type who will go to the wall.

#38 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
June 30 2013, 05:58PM

In other words, the kid`s got high-level puck possession player with top-six scoring prowess written all over him if this write-up is to be believed. The Flames apparently think so as well.

#39 clyde
June 30 2013, 06:18PM

He is on team Canada's try out roster this summer too

#40 Trippinvdub
June 30 2013, 06:54PM

I think this kid is going to surprise allot of flames fans, Montreal was really high on him. He has allot of really good tools in his arsenal and can make dmen look silly...

Got to wonder if there is still a deal I bthe works with Seguin and Johnny hockey? Boston has made no secret that they want him...

#41 lionlager
June 30 2013, 06:56PM

I was livid when Shinkaruk wasn't called, but I'm slowly getting over it. This Poirier kid has crazy wheels on him. Craig Button had him at 18 or something. He was going to get picked by MTL, so Feaster and company's hands were forced. I guess.

The bigger question is why did Shinkaruk drop so far? Might be something about him that many teams didn't like... something that maybe came out during the meetings. Attitude perhaps?

I love the Klimchuk pick. The kid is pretty well spoken as well. That was Iggy's pic he was chosen with. No pressure kid!

#42 piscera.infada
June 30 2013, 06:56PM

@If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin

I like that write-up. Pronman (the FN bible author) also thinks highly of him - both in his ability to finish, make plays, and drive possession. -I'm not a huge fan of the pick, but I get it.

As for Shinkaruk, methinks there has to be some reason he tumbled so far. I've heard from some buddies in the 'dub that he's a renowned ass in the dressing room, and his teammates would rather not play with him (not taking it as gospel, but there could be something to it).

#43 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
June 30 2013, 07:06PM
piscera.infada wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty amazed myself that they didn`t take Shinkaruk at 22, but there must be a reason he fell to the Canucks. He might make all the teams that decided to pass on him look silly in the future like Eberle, but there must be some big question marks.

Really, really like Poirier, though. Isn`t there a liquor named after him, too? That would be a bonus!!!!!

#44 icedawg_42
June 30 2013, 07:22PM

Just watched some highlight stuff for Poirier...all I can say is ...holy crap that kid has wheels.

#45 BJ
June 30 2013, 07:36PM

Only thing I can think now is that he is just across the river in Gatineau from Ottawa so the Flames - obviously - would have scouted the shiznat out of Monahan... they probably have seen Poirier a lot and have a better book on him than many of the other teams...

Maybe they were worried the Habs would take him at 25? Maybe Mcarron was payback taking one of Weisbrod's College guys?

#46 Willi P
June 30 2013, 07:36PM
icedawg_42 wrote:

Wowee, pretty impressive indeed.

#47 Ed Wailin'
June 30 2013, 08:07PM

Seems like feaster & Co. are weighing the "hockey sense" angle heavily. Smart if the kid interviewed well and actually wants to be here. Which is a tough sell I think.

#48 McRib
June 30 2013, 08:28PM

Emile Poirier was listed 26 by McKeens and 21st by Red Line Report? How was that a reach?? People were worried apparently Hunter Shinkaruk didn't interview well at all spoiled rich kid!! Quote from RLR on Poirier "Improved so quickly he'd have been top 15 in 2 more weeks!! Love the pick!! Love all three first rounders! Hate every other pick they had mind you outside of decent value from Eric Roy. Keegan Kanzig was laughable in the third he cannot skate!!

#49 McRib
June 30 2013, 08:30PM

Emile Poirier and Klimchuk could honestly end up as two of the most dynamic forwards in this draft and Sean Monahan is a 15-20 year first/second liner!! Three home runs in the first round!!

#50 everton fc
June 30 2013, 09:03PM

Good stuff here about Poirier. He's a good open-ice hitter, as well, it seems.

Eric Roy will hopefully surprise on the farm next season. I've liked him for a while.