It's Draft Day Open Thread: Threat Level Feaster

bookofloob
June 30 2013 12:29PM

It's been asserted by more than a few people that today is "The Most Important Day In Calgary Flames History", which, by the way, isn't true, but is one of those fork in the road moments for the organization, and need not be taken lighlty.

Flames fans, rightfully so, are TERRIFIED about the developments about to unfold today. Many of them are looking at their watch and wondering if it's too early to hit the sauce. For the record, I'm writing this now because it's too early for the liquor store to be open.

In an effort to kill time and to agitate an entire fanbase, I thought I'd take a minute to offer a little bit of a Draft Primer that touches on the picks held and some of the rumours surrounding the Flaming C.

Those Three Firsties

Too slick

photo via Mika Kylmäniemi

The Flames, as you all no doubtedly are aware by now, hold the 6th, 22nd, and 28th draft picks in the first round. There's been endless debate as to what should happen to those picks, and needless to say, none of us anywhere have any damn clue as to what is going to happen. The Flames drafted Mark Jankowski last season, so the brass has set a precedent of erratic behaviour that really none of us have a read on.

That said, assuming none of the picks are traded (more on that later), there's a fairly good consensus that the 6th overall pick should yield one of Elias Lindholm, Valeri Nichushkin, or Sean Monahan, with the outside possibilities of Alexsander Barkov or Rasmus Ristolainen getting casual mentions as well.

Jay Feaster, allegedly a GM, has said some petrifying things regarding this pick. As an example, he's been quoted as saying that it will be a factor if the player selected isn't willing to come over to North America right away (via Ryan Rishaug), likely speaking to either Nichushkin or Lindholm, both of whom are better options for the Flames than Sean Monahan, but you know, ENIGMATIC, so...

Another dumb thing that's been rumoured relatively heavily this morning is the 6th pick going to Philly in exchange for Braydon Coburn and (something else). I don't know what the other piece involved would be, but it's not going to be Sean Couturier, and Braydon Coburn is not worth giving up the 6th pick for, so if this happens, I hope you've got your Jager Bombs ready. We're going to need to drink to forget.

There's whispers of a deal between the Flames and the Winnipeg Jets as well. there's no word as to what or who is involved, but it's got to be Olli Jokinen, because why wouldn't it be? Don't trust whatever you see, and if you happen to be in Jersey right now and see Jay Feaster, hit him.  Right in the mouth. When you do it, you can say something awesome like "I'm supposed to tell you that Lanny sent me" or something. I don't care, just knock some sense into the man.

However...

Tyler Seguin

picture via slidingsideways

On the positive side, there have been rumours as well that the Boston Bruins, inexplicably, are looking to move young Tyler Seguin, and that the Flames are in on him.  I'm not sure where the rumour originated from, but it's been talked about enough to talk about here, so shut up and listen!

The deal seems to be Seguin for the 6th, and the adorable Johnny Gaudreau. I know you all know that Flames Nation is high on Johnny Hockey, and if he were traded, a lot of you bought your Gaudreauby Baker shirts and are now nothing but rags to you, but make no mistake, if the Flames could pull off THAT deal, it's a total win. The Bruins allegedly souring on Seguin is their own misguided vision, not Calgary's.

There's a lot of bunk rumours out there that Seguin has a bit of a coke problem and some attitude, and certainly some of the things he says and does will not make him seem like a generally good person, but rumours are rumours, and hockey is hockey, and Seguin can play hockey. He had an off year (this season doesn't count anyway), but this is a Number 1 center waiting to happen, and the relative uncertainty surrounding Gaudreau makes the risk worth it.

22 and 28

No one has a damn clue what's happening with these picks. Our own Ryan Pike and Christian Roatis have profiled several potential targets for the Flames at these picks, and do a better job profiling any of them than I would, so you should check those out if you haven't yet.

The stronger likelihood here is that these picks get dealt. I don't know to whom or to where, but while distressing, it's a lot less to be concerned about than mismanaging the 6th pick. Still, have an extra shot or two ready just in case.

ALL THE PICKS

The Flames will also strut their stuff at the podium for picks 67, 135, 157, 187, and 198. There's not a whole lot to note in here, because drafting past even the second round is pretty volatile. Of note, with that third round pick, there's an outside chance the Flames could draft Jordan Subban, but this is mostly interesting because of the name, and not as much because of the player (not that he isn't good)

Also, assuming the team didn't foolishly draft a goalie in the first round (oh yeah, a real possibility. We all joke, because we've run out of tears), this might be where the team selects a goaltender, if they truly believe they need one, which, I don't know, I guess you can never have too many. If a Jussi Saros or Calvin Petersen is still available, it's worth a look at.

Eh Vinny

Vincent Lecavalier

Pic via Jennifer Kuhn

According to Elliotte Friedman, the Flames are one of the teams interviewing newly employable Vincent Lecavalier today. There are apparently about 8 or 9 teams interested in Vinny (including Atvomobilist, one of the worst and poorest teams in the KHL), but you'd have to believe only a portion of those teams are doing more than kicking tires.

The Flames, I'm sure, would love to sign Lecavalier, and honestly, if it were on a one year deal (two max) at a responsible dollar figure, I'd be okay with it. It seems unlikely that that would be the case, however, as the more teams in on him, the higher the price tag, at which point Feaster and friends should just casually bow out. The team is finally absolving itself of a bad contract era, and bringing in a new one is no way to usher in a new aeon of Flames hockey.

Drink Up

I know I haven't presented an overly rosy portrayal of how this day could shake out for your Calgary Flames today, but I just really don't trust the decision makers on this team. Given the rumours swirling around the team, some dumb quotes by Jay Feaster, MARK JANKOWSKI, and so on and so forth, it's hard to have any kind of confidence inspired.

That's why I'm off to go stock up on supplies. The draft kicks off at 1 PM Calgary time. Make a game out of it. Do your own thing. Me, I'm going to build a bunker out of empties and I'm preparing  to hide in it until Connor McDavid is draft eligible.

01f20cee6c900dc633fe87a421630f41
The Book of Loob is the Nation's resident expert in flim-flammery and twaddle. An unabashed Flames fan, when BoL is not intellectually bankrupting Flames Nation, he can be seen rooting for Blair Jones, often to excess, at Book of Loob. Follow him on twitter here.
#1 Kmp
June 30 2013, 04:01PM
BJ wrote:

I like that Feaster said they were all in the top 13 on his list... so at least they are sticking to their list... maybe not the picks we would have made but you have to like that they are taking they players they think are the best available.

The other 10 on the list were what to order for lunch, it's rumored they went off board on that decision.

#2 Veggie Dog
June 30 2013, 05:02PM

From Twitter

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell Holy justification, Batman! Gillis on Schneider: "Our plan 3 yrs ago was develop Cory and move him for a high pick and that's what we did."

Harrison Mooney ‏@HarrisonMooney Mike Gillis after dropping his sandwich: "Three years ago, I hatched a plan to drop this sandwich."

#3 RKD
June 30 2013, 01:42PM

We need talented centers, keep 'em coming!

#4 Brent G.
June 30 2013, 01:48PM

Nurses sister is smoking hot

#6 schevvy
June 30 2013, 03:21PM

That was bad. Jankowski 2.0

#7 CanadianManiac3
June 30 2013, 03:23PM

Holy F***, are they f*** retarted ? Shinkaruk is available and they take a player who's compared to Ruutu. F*** this stupid S***.

#8 Michael
June 30 2013, 03:23PM

What is wrong with this team? Who cares that Craig Button thinks he was a first rounder, everyone else ranks him as a middle second rounder. Pathetic, Button should have been fired years ago, and I think Feaster should follow.

#9 please cancel acct
June 30 2013, 03:25PM

How in hell could anyone justify this pick.It could have been had at 40

#10 lionlager
June 30 2013, 03:26PM

Man Feaster always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

#11 flameon47
June 30 2013, 03:26PM

Pretty sure I cursed about 100 times in the past 10 minutes.

#12 BJ
June 30 2013, 03:27PM
Brent G. wrote:

I'm not saying the pick was good or bad but frankly understand the people making the pick is smarter and more informed than anyone on this site. Calm down people. Notice how everyone else passed on shinkarik? There's obviously a reason for that

I agree half way.... I like that Calgary is clearly choosing who they think is the best pick... I think they could have gotten him later though... the thing could be that maybe he was in Montreal's sights???

#13 Michael
June 30 2013, 03:28PM

@Scott Lemieux

Feaster needed the pistol to shoot himself in the foot with the Poirier pick

#14 the forgotten man
June 30 2013, 03:28PM
Brent G. wrote:

Wow, pretty naive man...aware of the world you live in? When I was like 16 years old I still believed most adults were competent...by 25 I finally figured out the jig was up. This was a horrible pick, period...stop. Save the PR BS for Calgarypuck.

#15 ChinookArch
June 30 2013, 03:29PM

Great, just f***in great. Now I'm raging.

#16 BurningSensation
June 30 2013, 03:30PM

I'm having another Guiness to make this more sensible. So far, it's not working.

#17 Scott Lemieux
June 30 2013, 03:30PM

There is not nearly enough bourbon in my house to keep watching this.

#19 Kevin R
June 30 2013, 03:30PM

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could have traded down for this shight. We could have given Montreal our 22nd for their 33 & our 35 back. I don't even care what 28 is going to be, probably someone ranked in the 80's but sure glad feaster sticks to his guns. This is ridiculous.

#20 CanadianManiac3
June 30 2013, 03:31PM

I hope Shinkaruk burns Calgary for years and years to come.

#21 Veggie Dog
June 30 2013, 03:31PM

Bets on Feaster still being a GM when Poirier and Jankowski put on enough weight to play?????

#22 Charleston Kingsley
June 30 2013, 03:31PM

Bizarre move...

#23 FireOnIce
June 30 2013, 03:33PM

@Veggie Dog

IIRC, Jankowski was 3 or 4 years out, at least. If they miss the playoffs one or two more seasons, I'd say that Feaster isn't around to deal with any potential fallout from these picks.

#24 Southern_Point
June 30 2013, 03:33PM

I'm so mad

#25 Burnward
June 30 2013, 03:34PM

Bergevin wins best suit. Hands down.

#26 BurningSensation
June 30 2013, 03:36PM
Burnward wrote:

Bergevin wins best suit. Hands down.

Bergevin's still wearing his high school graduation suit.

#27 Karimeeloronta
June 30 2013, 03:36PM

I have just finished sharpening the tines on my pitchfork. Uncle Fester must go. You go off the board in shuffleboard, not when a devastated city calls out for a rebuild. WTF is this? Better be a follow up trade involved.

#28 the forgotten man
June 30 2013, 03:40PM

Horrible draft so far...no Nischukin or Shinaruk...rebuild set back another 2-3 years. If Feaster is drafting this time next year I will be forced to switch to Lacrosse full time.

#29 schevvy
June 30 2013, 03:42PM

Monahan = good pick

Porier = absolutely awful

#30 the forgotten man
June 30 2013, 03:44PM

It's always worth waiting to see how guys turn out before getting too worked up about draft picks, but...damn.

Agree Kent, but I need Hope...I feel no hope with Feaster et al. Ergo I am a Sad Panda.

#31 flameon47
June 30 2013, 03:44PM

At this point all my faith i had in feaster, as little faith as it was, has been lost. At this point i wouldn't be surprised if Feaster trades our 28th pick to San Jose for Scott Gomez and then goes on to sign him to a 8 year 56 million dollar contract.

#32 FireOnIce
June 30 2013, 03:46PM

Wherever DomeBeers is, I'm pretty sure he's killed himself by now.

#33 Veggie Dog
June 30 2013, 03:46PM
BurningSensation wrote:

It might be because he is actually making a steal out of left field.

Obviously, but his love affair with NCAA and off the board picks seems to be pathological.

#34 Veggie Dog
June 30 2013, 03:48PM

@T&A4Flames

Someone projected to be in the 60's I bet.

#35 Baalzamon
June 30 2013, 03:49PM

okay Feaster... you've had your fun. People are lighting torches and sharpening pitchforks. Be very careful.

#36 ChinookArch
June 30 2013, 03:51PM

The Fan960 just reported that Luongo is not taking to the media. He's reportedly very upset.

I'm begining to like Mike Gillis' work, as a Flames fan.

#37 Burnward
June 30 2013, 03:53PM

Hey guys, we have prospects.

#38 Veggie Dog
June 30 2013, 04:10PM
FireOnIce wrote:

Best part of the day so far? LOLcouver traded their #1 goalie, and their former #1 is so upset he can't give interviews. Soon, they'll have no goalies, and the rest of us will get to laugh. Into our salty salty tears.

I feel bad for Luongo, he carried himself well through the whole fiasco.

#39 the forgotten man
June 30 2013, 04:10PM

3 Simple rules to building a team:

Draft the most talented player available irregardless of position.

In any trade, make sure you are getting the best player irregardless of how many bodies move.

No player is bigger than the Team...move assets at their highest perceived valuation.

The Flames continue to break these rules ergo 1 2nd round playoff since 1989...like seriously try to wrap your head around that level of futility...imagine someone in 1989 after the Flames won the Stanley Cup that this is the franchises fate for the next 25 years - today's draft does not incline me to think that we are any closer to the 2nd round :(

#40 FireOnIce
June 30 2013, 04:23PM

Buffalo trades Sekera to Carolina for Jamie McBain and #35 pick.

Again, I question Feaster's GM ability. He couldn't make the same deal for one of our garbage D-men?

#41 negrilcowboy
June 30 2013, 04:28PM
FireOnIce wrote:

Buffalo trades Sekera to Carolina for Jamie McBain and #35 pick.

Buffalo sabres rebuild or retool or whatever buzz word is currently in use is light years ahead of the Feasta plan.

#42 Baalzamon
June 30 2013, 04:48PM

Nickname suggestion for Poirier: Hercule Poirot.

#44 BurningSensation
June 30 2013, 05:14PM

@Kent Wilson

Jordan Subban in the 3rd would be a nice prize. I also likebig Bogdan at that spot.

#45 Baalzamon
June 30 2013, 06:50PM

This pick may be baffling for the simple fact that it isn't baffling. Good pick. *unties noose*

I believe Saros was already taken, Kent.

99th to Nashville.

#46 Aussie Flame
June 30 2013, 07:14PM

Found this from 25 june 2012

Tim Harrison, F, ’94 (Dexter)—Big 6’2” kid who plays a physical brand of hockey, but also has an offensive touch to his game. We think he will end up on a DI roster, most likely in a third line role.

#47 RickT
June 30 2013, 12:33PM

A great player with a coke problem is nothing new for Flames fans.

I would love if we could land Seguin.

Dream scenario is we offload a late first and a Gio-type player to Carolina for their 5th, and JG and #6 for Seguin.

#48 Stockley
June 30 2013, 12:34PM

Had a few laugh out loud moments while reading this. Especially the bit about punching Mr. Feaster in the mouth. I think we've all had day dreams about doing just that over the last couple years.

#49 Justin Azevedo
June 30 2013, 12:34PM

justin's top 5 available: mackinnon, drouin, barkov, lindholm, jones

June 30 2013, 12:51PM

Tyler Kennedy to the Sharks for a 2nd rounder. Useful middle rotation player for a team that really needs quality depth. Nice move.

BTW, we'll make this the open thread.