Development Camp 2013: Tim Harrison

Ryan Pike
July 12 2013 02:59PM

(finding a pick of Mr. Harrison is difficult)

(Ryan is attending many of the development camp sessions this week. He is going to share his thoughts as much as possible and will also add brief player interviews this one from time-to-time).

You could be forgiven if you didn't know who Tim Harrison was when he was drafted in the sixth round of last week's NHL Draft. The high school senior is hardly a household name, and boasts a light smattering of information regarding his hockey career throughout the hockey-related web.

The 19-year-old even chuckled a bit at the mention of the mystery surrounding him following the draft.

I had the chance to catch up with the 157th overall pick of the Calgary Flames at their annual development camp this week at Winsport.

---

Ryan Pike: WHEN YOU WERE DRAFTED, TWITTER EXPLODED WITH “WHO'S TIM HARRISON?” HOW WAS YOUR DRAFT EXPERIENCE OVERALL?

Tim Harrison: It was a pretty cool experience. People not knowing my name, obviously all the hoopla about people not finding out who I was until a little bit after the draft, but it was a cool experience. I was in my family room, just with my family. It was cool to share that whole experience with my family, just in the comfort of my own home. The surprise factor made it that much better, not knowing that I was going to go, but eventually ending up in Calgary is a dream come true.

YOU'RE HEADING TO COLLEGE IN THE FALL. WHAT'S YOUR MAJOR AND YOUR GOALS FOR THE YEAR?

I'm going to Colgate University. I'm kind of focusing on sociology. I haven't declared yet, but I think that's the path I'm going to take. My goals for school are obviously to pass my classes, make sure I'm eligible to play in that regard. [Chuckles] Hockey-wise, I think I want to come in and work my hardest, contribute as much as possible. I know I'm not going to put up 50 points, but if I can be a character guy, put up a couple points, block some shots and play my role, I think I'll have accomplished a successful year.

IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME WEARING A FLAMES JERSEY AND YOU'RE THROWING HITS OUT THERE IN YOUR FIRST SESSION. CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOUR GAME FOR ANYBODY THAT'S NEVER SEEN YOU PLAY?

I'm a pretty energized guy. I like to move my feet. I'm a big guy, but I think once I'm at full throttle I think I can get moving and use my body to my advantage. I think I can turn my skill level up a bit. I like to hit guys. I like to block shots. I like to just be a full-on energy guy out there.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his fourth season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers and the Wrestling Observer.
#1 Avalain
July 12 2013, 03:04PM

That's what a camera phone is for!

#2 Baalzamon
July 12 2013, 03:07PM

Seems like a good kid.

Hopefully his brain doesn't explode from the stress of that sociology degree.

#3 vowswithin
July 12 2013, 03:10PM

Here Ryan here is a custom picture of him I just made for you. http://i42.tinypic.com/b7djc6.jpg

#4 ChinookArch
July 12 2013, 04:17PM

@Baalzamon

Easy does it. The kid's 19, and many of us struggled at that age with what kind of degree to major in. Hell I'm more than twice his age, and I don't know what I'd major in, if I were to do it again today.

Besides all the hot girls majored in sociology (and PhysEd).

#5 schevvy
July 12 2013, 04:20PM

This guy is officially Charlie Simmer's favourite player. Likes to move his feet!

#6 Colin.S
July 12 2013, 04:29PM

Looking around a few different Twitters and news places, nobody has had anything negative to say about this kid, which for a nobody drafted late is already a good thing. In fact a few had some really positive things. Again he's not gonna be a top 6 most likely, but if we managed to find a good bottom 6 kid in the 6th round, that's a win.

#7 Clay
July 12 2013, 05:50PM

FEET MOVING

#8 gotommygo
July 12 2013, 06:17PM

@ChinookArch

nobody understands Baalzamon`s sarcasm, but you have a good point with the girls

#9 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
July 12 2013, 08:14PM
schevvy wrote:

haha!!!! beat me to it!!

#10 karimeeloranta
July 13 2013, 03:47AM

"Once I'm at full throttle I think I can get moving..." This may explain why he didn't go earlier in the draft...

#11 Lober
July 13 2013, 10:33AM

Monahan looking good at scrimmage just scored a nice goal, assisted by Johnny G

#12 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 10:40AM

Mark the date people. I actually had a positive impression of Ryan Culkin after that first period.

I know. I'm shocked too.

#13 BurningSensation
July 13 2013, 11:06AM
Lober wrote:

Monahan looking good at scrimmage just scored a nice goal, assisted by Johnny G

When you say 'a nice goal' what do you mean? A super slick deke? A laser blast from the point? Picking the corner with a one-timer?

Oh god I hate the off-season. And baseball. I freaking hate baseball.

#14 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 11:20AM

@BurningSensation

Gaudreau fed Trey Lewis at the point with a slick pass. Lewis fed Monahan in the slot, and Sean beat Brossoit with a quick snapper.

#15 BurningSensation
July 13 2013, 11:23AM
Baalzamon wrote:

A center who camps out in the slot and who owns an accurate snap shot?

Be still my heart!

#16 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 11:30AM

@BurningSensation

If you have access to a computer, they're streaming on the Flames website. We're between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

#17 BurningSensation
July 13 2013, 11:38AM
Baalzamon wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, but;

"We're sorry, the format of this content is not compatible with your device"

You'd think a big time organization like the Flames would have Apple compatible feeds.

#18 schevvy
July 13 2013, 11:45AM
BurningSensation wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, but;

"We're sorry, the format of this content is not compatible with your device"

Agreed. It's 2013 and you can't watch it on an iPad? Brutal. Same problem for me

#19 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 11:46AM

Sven just got his second assist. 3-1 Black.

Berra didn't have a chance on that release from Granlund.

#20 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 11:50AM

Linden Penner with his 2nd of the game. 4-1 black.

#21 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 12:03PM

It's astonishing that Kanzig only had seven points last season. The guy is solid. He keeps the zone very well, he's reasonably mobile, and he can handle the puck. Really impressed with him in this one. We might have a legit shutdown defender here.

#22 Luc
July 13 2013, 12:12PM

cant wait for the full write up today. Did Berra have a tough outing or were the goals quality?

#23 clyde
July 13 2013, 12:17PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Imagine how good he could become when he stops growing. Obviously a project but by all accounts, he is a kid who will work extra to get better and is very coachable and intelligent too. Maybe not quite the Coke Machine some on here called him before ever seeing him play.

#24 Scary Gary
July 13 2013, 12:24PM

@Baalzamon

Kanzig had a ton of ice time, basically every other shift. If he can gain some foot speed you never know.

#25 suba steve
July 13 2013, 12:37PM

The Flames scouting staff earned a great deal of trust from me in 2011. That's why I am happy to wait and see on guys like Janko, Poirier, and Kanzig. No one hits a home run with every pick, but Flame scouts obviously see potential in all their picks. Those that are critical of "off the board" draft picks from their keyboards, well what the hell do they know anyway?

#26 BurningSensation
July 13 2013, 01:28PM

I honestly can't think of a more shocking development from training camp than the possibility of Kanzig actually being a real player.

#27 Burnward
July 13 2013, 03:00PM
BurningSensation wrote:

Not trying to be a dick with this question...but have you seen the kid play before?

#28 BurningSensation
July 13 2013, 03:40PM
Burnward wrote:

Not even on YouTube.

I shared Kent's disapproval of taking a coke-machine with our 3rd pick, but unlike others I have been hoping like mad that there was a positive upside to Kanzig that went beyond what he can do with his gloves off.