FN Weekend Open Thread - Dev Camp Thoughts

July 13 2013 01:11PM

It was the development camp scrimmage this morning and more than a few folks showed up to watch (my guess is between 500-100). Ryan Pike is busy gathering player interviews as the camp progresses, but for now this thread is share the thoughts and impressions of anyone who has taken in the action thus far.

Today was my first exposure to the kids and so my observations are limited. In a single contest like this a lot of guys kind of fade into the woodwork, especially because the area seating is concentrated on one end of the rink (making it hard to scout action at the other end). Still, here's what I came away with.

- Mark Jankowski looks bigger. In fact, he appeared to be the second tallest player on the ice behind Kanzig. He's also still very toolsy, but relatively low impact. Janko would appear in the thick of things now and then, but disappeared for long stretches as well. I had to specifically look for him in the latter half of the game in order to notice him on the ice.

- Turner Elson was one of the stand-outs this morning. Smallish, but a buzzsaw of activity, he also made a number of nice spin-type moves in the offensive zone and set-up one of team Black's goals after a nice deke off the boards and out of the corner. Had another high-end chance after going wide and driving the net. A pleasant surprise.

- Another unexpectedly good performer was Trey Lewis, the undrafted captain of the Halifax Mooseheads. Lewis seemed to be a decently poised defender who wasn't shy about communicating or jumping into the rush at times.

- Bill Arnold was also a stand-out at times. He was much more mobile that I remember or expected and seemed to make consistently strong plays with the puck.

- John Gaudreau played a lot with Sean Monahan for team red and they were usually the line that drove play into the offensive zone. Gaudreau is faster this year and he doesn't look as freakishly undersized either.

Monahan was solid all over the ice. Despite being a younger guy he rarely panicked with the puck and was never victimized on a bad play or missed read. He also scored Red's only goal.

- Pat Sieloff was a guy who seemed to struggle with frustration/keeping his emotions in check. His signature is playing with an edge, of course, but a guy with a short fuse can cause problems on the ice because it can lead to poor decisions and bad penalties.

- Michael Ferland had a rough go. Plays died on his stick more than once this morning and he seemed to have problems both with execution and decision making.

- Sven Baertschi was one of the most dangerous guys on the ice for Black of course. He played mostly with Granlund and they combined for a goal and more than one high-end scoring chance. I didn't notice Granlund as much, but a few others there were raving about him.

- Keegan Kanzig is big.

That's about it from me. Share your own impressions in the comments.

#1 Jeff Lebowski
July 13 2013, 02:10PM

I was at scrimmage too. To my eyes most of the game was played in the Red team's end (4-1 score). There were some big guys out there so it was good to see the younger guys hang in physically.

There were definite times throughout the game where guys sat and conversely times when guys seemed to play a lot. I think coaches were just trying to see some situational hockey and how guys responded. It definitely wasn't a roll all the lines throughout the game type deal. Monahan, Janko, Agostino et al sat for stretches as others got looks.

Monahan: Smart, effective player all over the ice. Good on draws and picking up the dangerous guy defensively. Nice shot for Red's only goal. He's a young guy but he steps in and just plays with savvy. When he skates the puck he shifts guys to make open ice for himself. Head up, really good thinker and passer. Super poised. I have no doubt he will play and make an impact in NHL. Very happy to see.

Knight: He's a solid guy. Strong on draws, strong, heavy skater. Lot's to like but nothing flashy about his game.

Jankowski: Heads up player. Nothing horrible, nothing amazing. Good thoughts (he was a guy who played more early but less later). Won some draws against Knight. He's not puck focused, he constantly surveys the ice and he has a feel to get the right spots at the right time. The thing to remember is not only is he still growing, but the amount of growth (5'9 to 6'3.5 in a small amount of time). I think everything is going to smooth out for him and he will really show everything. He could be more assertive as well. This may sound silly but: some guys when they want the puck everyone in the arena can hear it (IGGY!). Jankowski is a little shy to be vocal right now. He is very young. He will be good. No doubt.

Granlund: He got better as game went on. Extremely well placed shot, inside post above pad on Berra. That's talent. He seems like the kind of guy who needs a good play to get him going. When his confidence gets a boost he comes alive. He played well after his goal.

Kanzig: He was noticeable for his ability to skate. He jumped in a couple of times and he is physical. The kid works hard and his skating is good (not just good for a big guy - he keeps up with the play). JohnnyG beat him wide early but I can't recall him getting beat like that again.

Elson: He's a quick, aggressive guy who threatened many times.

Culkin & Kulak: Both these guys showed well. They were on opposite teams but both showed good offensive instincts, made good passes and were sturdy against bigger players.

Poirier & Klimchuck: Showed some flashes. Poirier especially got better as the game went on. He was on the puck and in the third his line had some good control. Klimchuck scored a nice SO. I like them and think more is to come with scrimmages etc.

Although it was a controlled scrimmage, it was nice to see very few hard of the glass plays. You see guys looking (and having ability) to make plays. Sometimes those plays didn't work out but hopefully it reflects on the org preference on hockey IQ.

Johnny and Sven were the ones to elicit the oohs and ahhs but Calgary doesn't have that get you out of your seat (Drouin), elite talent. That being said, the depth of good to really good offensive players is promising. If they can get some elite, top, game breaking talent...

#2 punkyeti
July 13 2013, 03:28PM

Pretty fun watching you guys eat your words regarding Kanzig.

Carry on.

#3 BurningSensation
July 13 2013, 03:38PM

@Clay

"He (Kanzig) was the fittest player in camp "

My day just gets better and better.

#4 punkyeti
July 13 2013, 04:47PM

@theCalgaryJames

When people are calling him a coke machine and freaking out about the pick, it seems like the kid has shut up at least a few haters.

While I'm not saying he's the next Chara, its nice to see that the kid might be more than a "pop dispenser"

#5 beloch
July 13 2013, 04:55PM

@Kent Wilson

What I'm getting out of the comments on Kanzig so far don't jive with his assessment at the draft as a player whose only possible use was as an enforcer. It sounds like he might have some potential upside beyond that. If that's true, then the Kanzig pick looks less like a waste and more like a gamble on a long-term project. It's better to hear the the eggs haven't been laid yet than to hear we picked a dead chicken!

#6 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 06:53PM

@J.P.

Arnold played with Poirier and O'Donoghue. Jooris and Penner were with Elson.

#7 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 07:53PM

Guys: Reinhart was invisible because HE WASN'T PLAYING.

#8 shimbo11
July 13 2013, 07:59PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Guys: Reinhart was invisible because HE WASN'T PLAYING.

He looked noticeable in shorts, with a towel around his neck. He took some good shots on the goalies while the other kids were interviewed... Too funny.

#9 everton fc
July 13 2013, 09:14PM
shimbo11 wrote:

Ferland absolutely rifled a shot. It was probably the hardest shot I saw today. He does seem to have some good raw tools. Even his hands seemed pretty good. Definitely coughed up the puck a few times.

I think the organization will work hard to make Ferland an everyday player. I'm still pulling for him.

How did Eric Roy look?

#10 RexLibris
July 13 2013, 09:52PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Guys: Reinhart was invisible because HE WASN'T PLAYING.

You just look for any excuse for that guy, don't you? Sounds like a standard "doesn't show up for the big scrimmages" kind of player.

;-)

#11 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
July 15 2013, 02:12AM

I call bullshit on the Horvat-Domi WOWY if the intent is to believe that Domi is the better all-around player. The boys at BRoad Street Hockey had an interesting article up on prospect usage, and while it is reliant on proxies to calculate qaulity of competition, it is nevertheless illuminating.

First off, it contends that Monhan faced some of the toughest minutes in the entire OHL. Secondly it shows that Domi faced significantly lower QOC than many of his teammates. While that article does not state exactly who these teammates are (six faced tougher forwards regularly, while five played as many or more minutes against the premier defencemen of opposing teams), it is apparent that Domi was not consistently playing against the opposing teams`top lines.

Based on evidence from other articles and scouting reports, Horvat was one of the players doing the heavy lifting. Thus it might be that Horvat scored more with Domi because he faced weaker comp with more O zone starts when paired with Domi, than when he was apart.

Without advanced stats, we cannot be absolutely certain, but there is a very strong case that Horvat simply played some of the toughest minutes on his team. In that regard, many scouts peg him to be a player in the mould of Bergeron and Kesler.

In other words, he doesn`t suc just because he was drafted by the Nucks and based on one WOWY without context.

For more on the aforementioned article, follow this link: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/6/26/4455830/draft-prospect-toi-quality-of-competition

p.s.: McRib, for a guy that really highlights the competency of private draft firms such as Redline and Mckeens, it`s rather interesting that you would single out Horvat as a potential bust, but quote these very sources to pump up the Flames` draft picks, especially Poirier.

FYI, Horvat was ranked 14th by Mckeens, while Redline had him going 7th in their mock draft. It`s great to cheer for one`s own prospects, but to denigrate those of other teams, without any real evidence -or, in this case, selective use of sources -is rather misleading and disingenuous.

#12 Colin.S
July 13 2013, 01:23PM

The guys doing the broadcast(mostly Kerr) seem to have a love affair with Kanzig, for almost the entire second period that seemed to be the most of what he talked about.

I didn't mind what I saw of Kanzig, he was big, not very mobile, but he did something that was really nice, and that was frequently shoot the puck from what I saw of him(it's hard to distinguish some of those guys with camera angles and such). He has a good shot and it was nice seeming him get a pass and then try a shot. Though again if that shot didn't get through he had a bit of a hard time in transition.

#13 TheRealPoc
July 13 2013, 01:31PM

Kanzig was a Corsi monster this morning! Tons of shots from the point.

The thing I noticed about Granlund the most was the maturity of his decision-making. Never really made a poor play or a really bad read. That's probably the byprodct of playing with men in Finland for the last few seasons.

Pretty obvious that Gaudreau and Baertschi are a class apart. Monahan was really good too. And Arnold looked very sharp from what I saw. Overall, some really good signs from the first scrimmage.

#14 Austin
July 13 2013, 01:35PM

Kanzig was out there for a ridiculous amount of time, in fact I think he was out there more than any other defenseman, but I didn't watch the first period so I'm not sure. He made a couple dumb plays but in general he was more mobile than I had originally thought.

I also liked Granlund a lot and he looked much more noticeable this time around.

Poirier is a fast skater with some offensive flair, it seemed like for a few shifts, him and Arnold were unstoppable. I was pleasantly surprised by Arnold as I thought of him more as a grinding C but he displayed some ability as a two-way pivot.

I barely saw Klimchuk at all in the last two periods. I didn't notice Monahan that much but he didn't do anything bad to make me notice him in a negative way, and When I did see him he looked good. Like Kent said, Baertschi looked pretty dangerous whenever he was out there.

As for the tryouts, I liked MacKenzie, Jooris, and Penner the most as they all stuck out more than the other try outs in a positive way.

Knight seemed feisty when he was around the net, I didn't see much from Gaudreau other than that he is really fast.

I didn't focus much on the other defenseman too much do I'm curious to see what others thought of them.

#15 Trianglereverie
July 13 2013, 02:33PM

I echo a lot of the sentiment so far.

Kanzig BIG, seemed to be front and centre of a lot of attention. I also noticed it was like he was out there every other shift. But maybe that's because coaches wanted to see how the prospects dealt with the most NHL-like physically mature person on the ice (which was him)

Impression: I was pleasantly surprised with Kanzig to the point that I think with a solid year in the AHL under Ward he could be a 4,5,6 guy on this young team within by the 2014/15 season. Still needs to work on his skating a bit though.

Monahan was brilliant off the puck. Again his awareness and on-ice maturity showed. At this point I'd still give him a year in the AHL or back with Ottawa but I think that he would not be hurt if he does jump in right away this year.

Arnold, Gaudreau, Agostino all showed flare and upside sweet hands. Gaudreau is by far the most developed out of the NCAA guys but I think with another year for Agostino and a 2 for Arnold there's definitely something there.

Thought Giles played well in net from what we saw but will likely end up being the main guy or back up in Abby next year.

Felt like Poireir and Jankowski disappeared a lot. But when they did pop up with the puck you could see their potential to make things happen. Coda Gordon (a 6th rd pick) also showed some filthy mitts and again the Flames scouting staff seem to be showing that they're finding kids that can definitely play. Question will be can they translate it to NHL.

Both Kerr and Steinberg couldn't shut up about Granlund and that's a good sign. He was by far one of the best players on the ice and it's definitely a good sign that he appears to be really adapting to the smaller surface I would not be surprised to see Granlund starting the year with the young guns 2.0 unless he completely fails at the Abby prospect Tournament and main camp.

Noticeably Missing (or not noticeable): Roman Horak - Today was not Horaks day hardly saw him on the puck and for a guy whose suppose to be one of the more developed prospects that was depressing. He should have been driving possession and taking advantage of these kids. I could barely find his 21 when he was out there.

Like Kent said I think Penner definitely made himself stand out from the group of invites he had a solid scrimmage 2 goals. Tray Lewis (from halifax) was a beast not afraid to throw the body around but without sacrificing his position. Overall thought these two had the best camp out of the invites.

I really like Seiloff's defensive play. I just hope he doesn't jump into the rush (that's not his game) and he appeared to be trying to show that he's been working on it. Honestly, when he uses his body for position and works the guy down low he was at his best. But as Kent mentioned seemed to be easily agitated. However that in my opinion is never a bad thing. Shows his competitiveness. I'd like to see him and Wotherspoon at main camp against the NHL guys and just see how they compare. To be honest I don't think either of them or even Kanzig could be worse than Butler at this point or how Babchuk and Sarich were.

But the true MVP: was Torie Peterson as Rob's colour lady when she came on. Very good job. She's done her homework on the prospects.

#17 ChinookArch
July 13 2013, 02:50PM

I attended as well, but missed the 1st period was was forced behind the glass, in the concourse with a view of about 2/3 of the ice. Kanzig was a pleasent surprise. He skates well, and and puts his body between the player and his net very well when defending. He is not afraid to pinch in, on the offense side of the ice either. He came down several times to drive toward the net, and wasn't caught out of position. He's still raw, but if he manages to grow into his huge frame, the Flames might have of found a gem. And, for the record I was none to happy about the draft choice, until today that is.

Baertchi was easy to spot, and he was easily the most talented and poised player on the ice.

Knight, Monahan, Lewis and a kid had to look up to figure 3x to figure out who he was were noticeably good. Agustino was good with the limited ice time he got as well.

Guadreau was fun to watch, and I don't know of another player as instantly fast as he is - unreal!

I walked away happy about Monahan and knight and encouraged about Kanzig, and excited about Guadreau.

Next year I'll show up earlier.

#18 Scary Gary
July 13 2013, 03:11PM

Two cents:

Kanzig played virtually every other shift (he isn't hard to miss), his skating could use some work as others have said but man he has a long stride, three strides and he was out of the zone. He looked off balance at times. We'll see how this goes.

Wotherspoon didn't get much ice time from what I saw as I was watching for him but he didn't seem to do anything wrong so that's good

Sieloff was throwing the body a lot in the second, a bit scrambly and out of position at times but his skating looked competent enough.

Poirier was quick but seemed a bit outmatched with all the size on the ice.

Jankowski is definitely bigger, as someone who was also a late bloomer (5'9 at 16, 6'3 at 17) I can understand what he's going through. He looked a bit slow on the draws as he lost the first three but got better later on. He's a guy I was watching for; he didnt look out of plce, just young. He definitely has potential.

Knight and Horak both looked loft the most part as they should, a little older, filled out and overall fairly solid.

Gaudreau was breathing hard in the first but set up a nice goal by Monahan. As others had noted he seems to have filled out a little, and is fast and exciting to watch. He didn't do too much on a penalty shot in the first which resulted in a disappointing groan from the fans (poor guy). He got better as the game went on. Overall this kids obviously has high end skill.

Monahan looked pretty good, big, strong, solid with the puck, nice shot, and made good decisions.

#19 Clay
July 13 2013, 03:11PM

I was expecting Kanzig to be negative value after Kent's fit on twitter (pull yourself together!). I actually met him a few weeks before the draft. He's a friend of my cousin from Athabasca. Reminded me of Conan the Barbarian at the time.

He probably didn't warrant the 3rd round pick, but he can play hockey. He was the fittest player in camp as well, which isn't easy for such a big guy. He is definitely committed to improving all aspects of his game.

He is a project, but nice to see the project is someone with this level of commitment. Howse and Ferland were projects, but we've yet to see them drop the weight.

Kanzig needs a lot of refinement, but if anyone remembers, Chara was a pretty bad player in his draft year. Sometimes tools aren't everything. Kanzig actually held his own.

#20 Clay
July 13 2013, 03:15PM

Should point out I don't think Kanzig will become Chara... More so that its nice we have a project that works this hard.

#21 NHL93
July 13 2013, 03:30PM
Clay wrote:

I also thought about Chara today while watching Kanzig lumber around. Chara was considered a project at the time, then won some sort of 'most improved player' award a few years into his career. You just never know.

#22 Trianglereverie
July 13 2013, 03:56PM

Kanzig was the fittest player at camp. 7% body fat, pure muscle type fit. Clay was referring to physique not necessarily agility or mobility though.

Reinhardt is injured apparently which is why he wasn't noticeable. He didn't play.

I would be hesitant to compare Kanzig to Chara. Also. Kanzig seemed to have decent hockey IQ despite initial reactions. Proof that you really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

And Hanowski did indeed lose apparently 15 lbs (according to testing). But I wasn't impressed by him today. His skating still needs a lot of work and he looked lost for the pace of the other prospects today. We'll see I definitely think the deal -that shall not be named- was more for Agostino than Hanowski. I think Hanowski's future in the NHL If he has one will be heavily reliant on special teams or as a 4th line grinder and he's going to have to work hard just for that. Time will tell.

#23 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 04:06PM

For me, Black's defensemen stole the show. Which likely contributed a whole lot to their dominance. And I completely disagree with Scary Gary about Ramage. He was definitely one of the best players out there. For some reason, though, he looked like he was by far the smallest defenseman. Maybe it's just because he generally played with Kanzig.

A note on Horak: I think he was hurt by being forced to play with Hanowski and Ferland for the entire game. Though he did get Red's first scoring chance/shot of the game.

Ramage: His skating is much much better, and he seems far more comfortable with the puck than he has. Didn't really engage physically, though, which is disappointing.

Kulak: It is sooooo tempting to compare him to Brodie. He is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Defensively he was identical to Ryan Culkin (who, btw, impressed me for the first time ever) if a tiny bit smaller. Offensively, it wasn't even close. Kulak is very good with the puck, and forced Brody Hoffman to make an excellent glove save on the first slapshot of the game (which Ramage followed up all of 30 seconds later with a shot that nearly trickled in). To attempt to get away from setting ridiculously high expectations for him, I'll say that Kulak right now (age 19) looks a lot like John Negrin did at age 20.

Sieloff: He's become much more comfortable with the puck, and he was mostly good. He tended to try to rough people up while the play was still going. FOCUS!!!

Kanzig: Far better than expected. How he only scored seven points last season is a mystery. He just might be a player, folks.

Wotherspoon: He's so steady. He spent the majority of his time with Kulak, and they spent most of the game stifling Red's offense. I'm looking forward to Wotherspoon's first pro season. He'll never be a scorer, but he tended to make smart plays with the puck. Defensively, he's solid. And in case you're wondering, yes, I was looking for him. Otherwise I would never have noticed him.

Culkin: Made some good plays in the defensive zone. His play without the puck is far more impressive than with. He may yet make a player. His skating is far better than it was when I last saw him (which was quite a while ago, in truth).

Granlund: His skating is better, and he showed more willingness to engage than he has. His shot is still underrated, but at least the people there got to see that laserbeam he put on Berra.

Linden Penner: He scored a couple goals. And yet, I didn't notice him at all.

Bill Arnold: Do you all see why he's my favourite? The guy is gold.

The goalies: Gillies looked great, and I'm actually surprised Black managed to score on him. Brossoit looked shaky at first, but he was far more settled in the second period before he was replaced by Ortio, who was the only goalie who didn't surrender a goal. Hoffman's stat sheet probably reads more impressive than he was. He laboured a little bit, but the only shot that beat him--somehow--was Coda Gordon's game winner. Granted, Black wasn't as dominant in the second as the first and third. Berra got victimized a little in the third, since that was Black's best period. He got a bit rattled after Arnold's line crashed the net 400 times, and the goal from Granlund kind of ended it for him.

#24 theCalgaryJames
July 13 2013, 04:17PM
punkyeti wrote:

Pretty fun watching you guys eat your words regarding Kanzig.

Carry on.

I'm not saying the dude can't play but I do think its a little silly to play the 'eat crow' card after less than a week of a development camp... Your cart is WAAAAY before your horse

#25 McRib
July 13 2013, 04:26PM

Why are Baertschi, Gaudreau, Monahan here at this camp?!?!? Haha. All are ready for the big time. Surprised Max Reinhart was hardly noticeable, he needs another year in the AHL as I would take Knight over him at this point.

Emile Poireir & Morgan Klimchuk both had a few nice shifts, good upside but other than that they seem to be headed back to junior, which is a good thing. They will also get time in Penticton this isn't as important for them as NCAAers, invitees and older guys off to Pro. The Flames seem to limit ice time with this in mind.

Mark Jankowski was able to sneak into the slot a couple of times and almost scored a few working it nicely with Kenny Agostino. Jank just seems to be oozing with potential for me, great hockey IQ to sneak into the slot and get shots on net off balance. Once he starts rolling he will be a big scorer, his coach said he regularly had 5-6 scoring chances a game last year and I see that, just needs more confidence. He was very noticeable for me although he didn't get much ice late.

Bill Arnold looks very solid he could be a contributor in the AHL this season. Corbin Knight didn't do much offensively, but he saved a couple goals defensively and should easily be in the running for the fourth line spot.

The biggest surprise performance for me was that AJHLer Linden Penner with two goals was unable to watch Whitecourt this season but he put up almost a point a game on a team that had two former QMJHLers taking up most of the quality ice time in front of him. He didn't do much other than score two, but still for a first year eligible Jr. A to pocket two its saying something. The Flames might want to try and sign him as he is only a 1995, and send him to the WHL. If he goes NCAA he will most certainty be drafted next year by someone. Saskatoon owns his rights (10th Rounder).

Agree with Kent Trey Lewis was solid was glad we invited him to this camp. Keegan Kanzig was surprising only saw him midseason last year game already has improved by leaps and bounds, as he made some nice pinches... never seen that side from him at all.

Coda Gordon was also very solid if he can ever fill out those stick legs he has serious offensive potential, nice two point effort. Brett Kulak was quiet but still impressive he was the best defender for me. Granlund has added some size which makes me warm to him playing in NA this season, offense potential was always there for me.

Roman Horak, Ben Hanowski and Micheal Ferland had a rough go especially considering their age, even Craig Conroy said he expected more from them.

#27 suba steve
July 13 2013, 05:18PM

People like the look of Kanzig playing against other prospects in a scrimmage. I'll gladly eat crow if he becomes a player, but we're literally years away from knowing if he's actually a player. Guys like Matt Pelech and John Negrin looked like stars in these things before too.

You're not counting your chickens before they've hatched - the eggs haven't even been laid yet.

Agree with you 100%. However comments by yourself and many others on draft day, and since, were just as guilty of pre-judging this player/pick.

I think that we are all relieved at this point that the Flames scouting dept were not just drawing names from a hat or throwing darts at a board, and that they appear to have seen something in a player that others may have missed/undervalued. And yes, I totally agree that Kanzig has a long way to go before he is considered a legit threat to make an NHL roster.

Also, thanks Kent for keeping the content coming.

#28 TRAV
July 13 2013, 05:49PM

Prospect scrimmage had some intensity to it. Tone seemed to be set early by a somewhat dirty hit by Martin on Agostino. Kanzig was throwing his weight around a bit and Hanowski was chirping pretty hard at the faceoff dot.

Players that stood out: Monahan- smooth skater. Heads up with the puck. Played with confidence and obvious skill.

Knight- very strong skater. He's both fast and seems sturdy on his feet. Solid on faceoffs though didn't seem to generate a whole lot in the offensive zone.

Granlund- He seemed to be open and to win puck battles. Showed good finish on his goal with very quick and accurate release.

Jooris- Don't know much about this player other than I kept looking at my sheet to see who he was. Very fast and tenacious on the forecheck. Generated lots of scoring chances with his line. Ironically I think that his whole line are undrafted invites. Curious to know others thoughts on his game.

Lewis- In practice he seemed to be weak on the puck and I wasn't overly impressed with his compete level. In the game today he stood out for joining the rush, making some good passes and playing with energy. He did cough puck over which resulted in black goal.

Kanzig- I really wasn't sure what to make of this guy. I have been a long time reader here and know that he got just blasted in most posts. (pretty sure a pop machine was the illustration next to his name) In practice it is obvious that his foot speed is not yet there. Today in the game he caught my attention most times he was on the ice. He was beat by Gaudreau wide but other than that he impressed me. Made some strong headsup passes. Made some hits. Used his reach well and was very involved offensively. I can't believe that he only had seven points last year. I couldn't believe that a rookie in his first camp would play with such confidence and boldness. I am NOT saying that this guy is going to be an NHL player. In fact it is far more likely that he will follow the path of most 3rd rounders and fizzle out. I am willing to say that he has potential to be a player. Most on here, including myself would not have said that this was even a possibility.

Baertschi played with confidence. So strong on the puck for his size. Made a great pass by showing poise and patience down low.

Gaudreau- Fun to watch. Agree that he seems bigger. Watched as guys would line him up and he'd dart out of the way. So creative with the puck. Probably a player who really benefits from getting to know his linemates.

Horak- I thought that he wan't great but showed his experience. Multiple times whens tuck in his own end the puck would come to him and he'd make a strong play to get it out, or dish to a linemate.

Really like Berra in practice. Big, quick and works hard. I think that this will be an interesting year for him. Curious to see how he looks in main camp. His D today seemed to be overly matched down low. Black was dominating in the crease and corners.

Looking forward to Monday's scrimmage. Hopefully easier to get a seat.

#29 J.P.
July 13 2013, 06:44PM

Highlights for me: 1.Gaudreau threading the needle to pass through a defender to send a guy in. 2.Jankowski's has huge reach! 3.Jooris, Arnold, and Penner had great chemistry and to me they were the line that stood out. 4.Ferland did cough up the puck a lot, but has a bullet for a shot. 5.I saw Granlund cleanly beat Monahan three times in a row on the draw in the third. I don't know if that is good to see for Markus or something to worry about for Sean. 6.Agostino and Elson were all over the place! They potentially could be two great high energy players! 7.Great turnout at Winsport! Glad to see people excited and optimistic about the Flames!

#30 TRAV
July 13 2013, 06:56PM

@Kent Wilson

Kent,

Was Kanzig better/ worse or exactly what you expected? I thought he showed more potential than many of our other prospects. (extremely small sample size:)

#31 Clyde
July 13 2013, 07:01PM
suba steve wrote:

Also, thanks Kent for keeping the content coming.

Kent also declared the middle Reinhart a bust at 19

#32 HongKongHockeyFan
July 13 2013, 07:06PM

As I currently live in Hong Kong and don't often get a chance to watch live hockey of such caliber, I hope my impressions are not too off base, particularly since I was focusing on a few players and started chatting more with a pal of mine during the second and third periods. However, I think I will have to echo many of the similar thoughts expressed in earlier comments.

Overall Team Play: Although I recognize that scrimmages are typically played more loosely than in real game situation, I came away disappointed with what I saw. Although I recognize there would be very little chemistry between any of the players, it doesn't seem many (or any) of the prospects have the ability to take control of play.

The probably most noticeable stand out feature of the overall team paly was team black's defense, which included Ramage, Wotherspoon, Kulak, Sieloff and Kanzig. They were able to breakout, pinch and generally control play, which probably explains why team black came out victorious. Team white's defense, which included Culkin, Martin, Gilmour, Roy, was caught chasing a lot more.

Offensive Standouts: Baertschi and Grandlund. Sven showed he is probably our most skilled player in my mind. Grandlund looks better than I thought he would. Monahan also made some good passes and demonstrated he does potentially have high-end distribution skills. Turner Ellson also stood out.

Offensive Disappointments: Knight. I'm not sure what to think of Corbin Knight as I tried keeping a close eye on him but he did not do much. Reinhart was no where to be seen.

Neutral: Poirer, Klimchuk and Jankowski. Poirer has some speed and grit I think. Jankowski is a big kid but I agree he looks hesitant and not fully engaged. Did not display any high-end puck handling skills.

Defense: It's all about Kanzig. He definitely stood which is a great thing given how controversial his selection is. Looks like he has high hockey IQ. Even though he still has lots of room to develop and improve his skating, I wonder whether his straightline speed will simply hold him back in the long run. But he looked good from a positional sense.

Other Thoughts: Was a little disappointed with Horak, however, I doubt he would stand out in this type of scrimmage. Hanowski's skating looks too weak yet. I like what I saw with Ferland, his skating does not appear to be a liability. As for Johnny Hockey, I came away a bit concerned with his play. He play's a small man's game. This is the type of game he should dominate, no hitting.

#33 Colin.S
July 13 2013, 07:08PM
TRAV wrote:

Kent,

He was better for me, but that was because I was expecting the absolute worse. I still think his skating was below average and was out of position from time to time.

But he shot a lot, which is good, a lot of these kids seemed to want to try fancy moves and he just shot things, which is nice.

#34 HockeyGuy
July 13 2013, 07:10PM

I think the best thing Poirier can do for himself would be to refuse to sign with the Flames and re-enter the draft. He will never be 'good' in the eyes of Flames fans that wished the Flames had Drafted Hunter Shink-a-rinky-dink. I am one Flames fan who is glad the Flames dodged Hunter at the draft. He is a 1-dimensional player who has never shown any depth. Good dodge JayFeast!

#35 shimbo11
July 13 2013, 07:50PM

I watched the scrimmage today at Winsport. I came away highly amused watching Kanzig. I was surprised at how much he joined the rush for an "immobile" defenseman. He also seemed less confident with the puck on his stick. Though he was better than I expected him to be.

I was impressed with Jankowski's reach. He seemed to be in position ussually as well. He seemed to play a perimeter game. Did anyone else notice how quick his shifts were? He was always the first one off on his line. Did anyone else think his shot took a long time to get off?

I was impressed how Granlund did against Knight in the dot in the last period (when I was paying attention. He seems to have a big league shot. Knight was really good in the dot. I did not pay too much attention to Monahan in the circle, except at the end. Someone commented beside me how he always lost draws on the one side. When I watched after that he was not having luck in the dot afterwards.

I thought our goalie prospects did well. I thought Berra and Ortio seemed fairly poised (even when Berra's team was being outplayed handily in front of him). Ni deficiencies screamed out to me from the goalies. I am excited to watch them develop.

It seemed the Arnold and Poirier line was developing chemistry and were flying at the end. They made some nice passes. I really liked the Linden/Jooris/Elson trio. They battled hard. Agostino was solid with the puck.

Overall the kids scrambled a lot, which can be expected for their first scrimmage together. To be honest I didn't watch the defenseman too closely, except Kanzig and Sieloff's spunky play. It was fun. I kind of wish they could pit the kids against lines on the parent club to see how they do/give them an idea of what to expect in the big league. I am excited to see which players can translate to the next level.

#36 shimbo11
July 13 2013, 07:50PM

#37 Jeff Lebowski
July 13 2013, 07:56PM

The other aspect of the scrimmage for me besides the ability of the players was the style of and pace of play.

There was little dump and chase. These guys were making plays out there and it was fast (as you would imagine for young guys trying to make impression). There was a lot of plays coming through the middle, lots of off the rush plays (maybe they were told no big open ice hits). Lots of completed passes. Also, there were some good board battles and physical plays (there were some oohs from hits). It wasn't perfect hockey but I liked the mix of skill and heaviness in the game. There are guys who will take things to the maximum physicality (willing to fight) so there is competitiveness and aggression but as mentioned, they could all also play. That's really very good.

When you put that as context, the players who stood out earned it. The ice was tilted (except when Monahan/Gaudreau) out there and there were guys on Black that played a lot (Kanzig, Elson etc) in a 4-1 win. Of course it is all relative but I was impressed with the quality and quantity of players who made plays in this style of game. Guys are at different spots on their development curves but if they can develop?

The Penticton tournament will be extremely telling. If they can make some of those kind of plays against the other teams it will be something. Without Gaudreau and the other college guys it will be interesting to see how the team fares. -From a purely talent or skills perspective, Ferland is really quite the potential player. During the game he wasn't at all noticeable but his wrist shot is powerful. Hard. His shootout attempt, although unsuccessful, showed some small man type hands. His movements are athletic and smooth. Plus the physical side of his game. Whatever the reasons why he doesn't get it, the Flames have to try everything to get him to buy in. Obviously it's up to him.

#38 shimbo11
July 13 2013, 08:03PM
Jeff Lebowski wrote:

#39 Burnward
July 13 2013, 08:53PM

Re: Kanzig

Funny how things change when you actually SEE the kid play, eh?

#40 J.P.
July 13 2013, 08:53PM

Thanks for the heads up! Jooris, Elson, and Penner was the line that stood out to me!

#41 Baalzamon
July 13 2013, 09:33PM

@everton fc

Roy was hurt by the fact Red spent basically the whole game defending. When he did get the puck he looked okay. Defensively he looked a little better than I was expecting, but he didn't really engage physically. All in all, he wasn't really noticeable.

#42 TRAV
July 13 2013, 09:36PM

@everton fc

I didn't think he was great. On a few shifts he got hemmed down low and couldn't seem to contain the cycle. A little overwhelmed in his own zone was my take.

#43 McRib
July 13 2013, 11:36PM

Why was this scrimmage played on Joan Snyder Arena - Arena B (300 Capacity) and not at the Markin MacPhail Centre (3,000 Capacity)?? Are the Flames not aware of the turnout that was to be expected??

The World Junior Camp continuously sells out the MacPhail Centre, why would the Flames Top Prospects be any different especially with a best in the last two decades (Banner crop of 5 First Rounders, Hobey Baker Runners-up, etc) this year??

Frankly I would have been there if I knew it was at the larger rink... At least they provided the webcast, but prospects like Gaudreau, Arnold, who everyone is concerned might not sign with Calgary would have been even further impressed with the 2,500+ they could have got at the larger rink?!?! Time after time the Flames continue to under appreciate how educated our fans really are about hockey in Calgary.

#44 ultrathinzigzags
July 13 2013, 11:42PM

I thought Sieloff was one of the most fun to watch, sure played edgy and snarky, cleared out his crease a few times and even pinched a few times. He was ready to go with Harrison I believe it was... would have liked to see that!

#45 McRib
July 13 2013, 11:45PM

@Baalzamon

My Bad thought he was wearing 21 Red just watched via the webcast.... Can someone at FN post a link to the roster again Monday, can't seem to find anything other than the initial roster from the start of camp. Is Reinhart injured?!?!? Whats the scoop?!?!? Hahahhaha.

#46 ultrathinzigzags
July 13 2013, 11:49PM

@McRib

The only thing I can think of is that the MacPhail Arena is international dimensions?? Maybe they wanted to keep it North American size? I agree that would have made for a lot less grumbling..hoping for a seat Monday!

#47 Flamesbrain
July 13 2013, 11:52PM

@McRib

Ummm...on the webcast Kerr mentioned the concious decision to use the Joan Snyder arena because it is NHL sized ice for the Europeans to get used to it. He said the MacPhail is International sized ice and would not be appropriate for an NHL camp?

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the availibility of the webcast. Kerr did a great job and I liked Connie, Steinberg and Torrie as sidekicks.

#48 McRib
July 13 2013, 11:57PM

@ultrathinzigzags

Ahhhh, International dimensions makes sort of sense considering how big of a deal they made about the European Goalies having to get used to it, for me international ice would be a bigger issue for the forwards like Markus Granlund, but to each there own I guess. International Ice is also great conditioning and would showcase more skilled play(s).

Anyway the minute I heard it was going to be at the 300 Capacity rink I stayed far far away, as did most I knew that were thinking about going. If they had close to 1,000 people at the small rink, you have to think they could have had easily twice as many with the larger seating capacity.

#49 McRib
July 14 2013, 12:04AM

@Flamesbrain

Going to have to agree with others on this post, Torie Peterson was fantastic as a colour fill in!!! Wow, she always does a great job with the website articles so in that sense it was no surprise, but she was very well spoken. Kristin Hallett (outside of looks) is hard to stomach or awkward at times with prospects (did anyone watch the interview with Poirier and his family, lol). Wish they had Peterson interviewing more obscure people more often in situations like this with the new prospects, as she is much more knowledgable in that aspect. Kristin Hallett is a decent interviewer of current Calgary Flames players, but when all she has to talk to Bill Arnold about is solely his relationship with Johnny Gaudreau it gets old quick. It might be different if Bill Arnold was there because of Gaudreau, but he is a Top. 10 Prospect. If anyone isn't signing with the Flames it would be him, because he was treated like a coat tail rider of Gaudreau's for two years.

When Hallett was interviewing both Gaudreau & Agostino she failed to bring up the NJ connection, which was a great written piece earlier this week that would have been interesting to dig a bit deeper first hand. Not to mention Agostino played for Delbarton School in NJ, which is becoming a hockey factory of sorts and leading a new generation of Hockey players from NY/NJ, who have become infatuated with the sport. No market in the USA is increasingly turning out NHLers than NJ.

#50 Craig
July 14 2013, 07:42AM

I watched the scrimmage from the live stream, missed some of the first.

I liked Granlund I think he's going to come in to main camp ready to play but ultimately still play in Finland for another year.

Loved the connection between Monahan and Gaudreau, when they could get the puck out of their zone.

on Kanzig I wasn't really impressed, I think he stands out because he's huge so he's easy to notice every time he's on the ice. Too early to tell if he'll be any good, but it's encouraging to hear about his work ethic.

Love SVEN hope he really breaks out this year.