Flames qualify 9

July 02 2013 03:37PM

Busy Day.

According to the Flames, they have qualified the 9 guys listed above. Greg Nemisz and Paul Byron both get another chance, as I guessed they would in an earlier post today, although I suspect it's entirely for organizational depth purposes and not because they are seen as legit prospects anymore.

Absent from the list are Bryan Cameron, Gaelan Patterson, Brady Lamb and Akim Aliu.

Cameron was a free agent signing out of the OHL three years ago. A high goal scorer at the time, he never found a way to translate that succes at the AHL level. Patterson is a former 7th round pick of the Flames who beat the odds by simply playing 3 years of pro hockey, albeit most of them were in the ECHL.

Akim Aliu was a heartwarming story when he was acquired by the Flames, but it was fairly clear on multiple viewings that he didn't have the skills to be an NHL regular. He has bounced around for years since being picked in the second round by Chicago and I miagine he'll have a tough time landing another contract, at least as far as the AHL is concerned.

Lamb is perhaps the most surprising of the guys not being retained. A college free agent signing, Lamb only played 51 games for the Heat and apparently didn't show enough to garner another deal.

#1 jeremywilhelm
July 02 2013, 03:38PM

Thank god! I was so worried that they weren't going to qualify anyone!

#2 aloudoun
July 02 2013, 03:39PM

So many "B" names...

#3 kittensandcookies
July 02 2013, 03:47PM

If only he was named Akim Baliu.

#4 RexLibris
July 02 2013, 03:53PM

So Nemisz gets another shot.

I'm a little surprised, and I also would have thought they might make a choice between Byron and Bouma. Feaster has done some work on the NHL roster, I'll be curious to see what he does later this summer to address the Heat.

#5 Baalzamon
July 02 2013, 03:55PM

Expect Brodie to reject the Qualifying offer and to be signed to a longer contract immediately afterward.

#6 Primo
July 02 2013, 03:56PM

Now that these guys are qualified what are the next steps in this process? Timelines?

#7 aloudoun
July 02 2013, 03:58PM

What would be a good contract for Brodie? I would think 8-10 million on a 3 year deal? Am I way out to lunch?

#10 beloch
July 02 2013, 04:13PM

I actually thought Aliu had some upside and might develop into a NHL player... if only he had a bit more discipline. He's also a bit lacking in the sense department, which the Flames seem to be placing a premium on these days. I'm willing to bet he'll be picked up by another team.

#12 exsanguinator
July 02 2013, 04:20PM
RexLibris wrote:

So Nemisz gets another shot.

I don't think it's as much about giving Nemisz another shot, I figure it's more about keeping him on the farm to be a good role model for the younger players coming up. I guess before last season he did a ton in the off season to stay in game shape and all that. He's a real team player, a character guy that's good to have around.

#13 RexLibris
July 02 2013, 04:29PM

Omark not qualified by the Oilers.

Presumably this would make him a free-agent, and an NHL-ready right wing powerplay specialist whose possession numbers aren't too bad.

The Flames are pretty quickly filling up roster spots, so I doubt there is strong interest, but it would make for a very interesting storyline and one could argue you'd have one heck of a motivated player, at least for the BoA games.

*Correction, it appears the Oilers retained his rights due to a qualifying offer left over from last year. My mistake.*

#14 ChinookArch
July 02 2013, 04:59PM
aloudoun wrote:

So many "B" names...

Yeah, real good day if your last name starts with "B"

BTW. Full marks on the avatar. Nice work.

#15 ChinookArch
July 02 2013, 05:03PM
beloch wrote:

Troy Ward's report of Aliu character may be the worst I've ever heard. No team needs that in their dressing room.

#16 jeremywilhelm
July 02 2013, 05:12PM

Omarks a UFA. Sign me up!

#17 RexLibris
July 02 2013, 05:22PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

Omarks a UFA. Sign me up!

Sorry I jumped the gun there, I think.

Some conflicting opinions in OilerLand. The Oilers qualified him last year and he hasn't officially signed an NHL deal so as a stage 2 RFA he is basically in hockey limbo.

Feaster could probably get him for a 2015 3rd round pick at this point.

*I'm not starting a new thread to debate the trade value of Omark, please, so please, no 40-comment thread on whether he is worth a 3rd or a 5th or a box of hockey tape.*

;-)

#18 RexLibris
July 02 2013, 05:23PM

oops

#19 Jibmeister
July 02 2013, 05:27PM

Aliu had no hands or offensive upside either. Maybe he could have been a pugilist at the NHL level with a bit more sense, but that's it.

I fully agreed with you, until I saw this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFe2e8nh_c

#20 RexLibris
July 02 2013, 05:41PM

Flyers get Lecavalier.

Were I in Feaster's shoes I'd be calling and inquiring about Couturier.

#21 jeremywilhelm
July 02 2013, 05:48PM

Holmgren has seriously messed up that team.

#22 RexLibris
July 02 2013, 05:55PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

Holmgren has seriously messed up that team.

This is the Flyers, from what high perch have they descended?

Now Gillis is taking a good roster and running it right off the rails. I can't wait to see how Luongo deals with the organization and Tortorella after this latest episode.

The problem with the Flyers, at least from an outsider's perspective, is that they end up falling into so many good prospects like drafting Couturier at 8th overall, and it just allows them to keep operating this way.

They really do seem to be one of the last holdovers from the old pre-cap spending days, trying to buy a team.

#23 BurningSensation
July 02 2013, 05:56PM
ChinookArch wrote:

Yeah, real good day if your last name starts with "B"

BTW. Full marks on the avatar. Nice work.

"All I've had today are like six gummy bears and some Scotch"

Greatest. Show. Ever.

#24 BurningSensation
July 02 2013, 05:57PM
RexLibris wrote:

Sorry I jumped the gun there, I think.

Feaster could probably get him for a 2015 3rd round pick at this point.

;-)

Put me down for 'box of tape'

;-)

#25 Veggie Dog
July 02 2013, 05:58PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

Holmgren has seriously messed up that team.

Yeah, -380k salary cap room, and only Steve Mason signed as a goalie. Next year, Giroux, Schenn, and Coutourier all FA's hahahahahah. Giroux at least needs a big raise.

#26 BurningSensation
July 02 2013, 05:59PM
RexLibris wrote:

Flyers get Lecavalier.

Were I in Feaster's shoes I'd be calling and inquiring about Couturier.

Couturier will be the teams 3rd line C and likely get a break playing against the heavies now that Lecavalier is on board to do some heavy lifting.

He's everybody's target, and unlikely to be going anywhere.

#27 Colin.S
July 02 2013, 06:06PM

Well at least all the playres that should be qualified were and bunch of them let go. Now hoping to hear a Brodie and Backlund contract in the near future.

Also RE: Cameron, from what I understand he was described as a bad skater when we signed him, and kinda like the Howse situation, just cause the guy can put up points in junior, he need some sort of skating ability to even think about translating those points to the NHL.

#28 Baalzamon
July 02 2013, 06:12PM

@Colin.S

Indeed, though with Cameron he put up that 50 goal season as an overager, whereas with Howse.. hard to say really what happened to him, only that he didn't play a pro game, and thus his numbers didn't translate.

And yes, it certainly helped that he didn't move all that well for a smallish guy. Though he did have a decent top speed IIRC.

#31 ?
July 02 2013, 06:24PM

@Baalzamon

If I remember correctly, Howse showed up in his first pro camp out of shape. Fell out of favour quickly. When I watched him in Chilliwack back in his WHL career, all I really noticed was his shot. He had a great shot, but he had bad skating, as you and Colin both mentioned.

I guess the fact that he was a completely one-dimensional player sunk his chances at a shot in the pros.

#32 Burnward
July 02 2013, 07:04PM

Re: Philly

Wonder what the cost would be for both Schenn's...

#33 Q
July 02 2013, 07:19PM

How does Holmgren have a job? This just oozes with desperation! This guy wizzes more money away than any gm out there! Buy out old garbage and then sign old garbage! Is he slipping something in the owners drinks or what? This is hideous. Complete cap hell!!!!!! Nice work by jay getting galliardi! Cheap utility player . Safe to say cammi is all but gone with another LW on the roster! Hope we at least get a pick for em. So nice to have a load of dough to spend and maybe Monahan makes the team! Excited for our season ahead!

#34 MC Hockey
July 02 2013, 07:19PM
Veggie Dog wrote:

Note the Flyers gain about 4.9M in cap space as Pronger will be on Long Term Injured Reserve

#35 MC Hockey
July 02 2013, 07:20PM
Q wrote:

See comment 34. Pronger on LTIR gains you 4.9M cap space so lots of room to sign a goalie. He is re-making his roster to be more competitive and complete.

July 02 2013, 07:28PM

Byron really should've just been signed to an AHL-only deal. Whatever.

#37 Q
July 02 2013, 08:00PM

@MC Hockey

You're defending Holmgren? Wow! Holmgren is a Sutter certified moron! I don't care how much cap space he cleared! He's hosed this team for yrs and 5 yrs for a crap vinni? Come on!

#38 MC Hockey
July 02 2013, 08:53PM
Q wrote:

Vinny can fit it nicely behind Giroux on that team so for that team it makes sense. I agree however that Holmgren picks too many "big guys" or "big stars" to play there...such as the first round draft choice which was a reach.

#39 Maimster
July 02 2013, 08:54PM

Not too many alphabetical listings where Paul Byron comes in 7th place out of 9, I wouldn't think.

#40 Clyde
July 02 2013, 10:21PM

I see some on here would like us to sign Omark. Why? He is useless and couldn't play for the 30 th place team

#42 MC Hockey
July 02 2013, 10:54PM

Part of the reason the Oilers were 30th is because they went with players like Hordichuk rather than Omark.

I don't think Linus works for the Flames at this point frankly. But he probably deserves another shot at the NHL considering some of the other players who pull paychecks in the league.

So Kent, Do you think the Flames could use him then?

#43 aloudoun
July 02 2013, 10:56PM

@BurningSensation

It is one of the best shows. Cant wait to watch more episodes.

I am curious to see what this roster looks like come September (or even after this weekend). The roster and depth chart doesnt make much sense but to Feaster's credit I guess thats part of rebuilding. There is something to be said for the relative excitement of new players coming in and competing for a spot, not an old guard thats guaranteed a job regardless.

#44 Clyde
July 02 2013, 10:59PM

You could probably say that about scores of players. I don't see Omark as an NHL player. He was a YouTube sensation and not much else. Kent, any idea if the aflames are looking at Russell, Blum or perhaps Gilbert?

#45 Justin Azevedo
July 02 2013, 11:57PM

@RexLibris

honestly, i think it's because snider wants a championship before he dies.

#46 negrilcowboy
July 03 2013, 12:02AM

I hand not heard any character report from Ward, although it's an open secret that Aliu was dogged by similar concerns elsewhere.

windsor,sudbury,london. the guy simply is a bad egg.

#47 ColinS
July 03 2013, 01:25AM

Reading over on OilersNation, it looks like Jonathon Blum will not get a QO if they can't trade him, when are QO's due? And should we just give Nashville a 7th to get his rights to give him a QO.

I know we are ripe with bottom defenders, however he fits the current Feaster Mold, early 20s, bit of an underacheiver. His Corsi is better than Weber/Josi, he was tied for best on-ice SV%, and reading what ON said about him, is that he's seen as an offensive guy with Defensive liabilities, quite frankly I don't see why we don't pick him up for the year, probably is an improvement over Butler.

#48 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
July 03 2013, 01:33AM

This probably isn`t the place to post this, but I read this very interesting article of how to use proxies to estimate the quality of competition in lesser leagues like the CHL. According to the data, Monahan faced probably the toughest competition of any CHL player, which makes his stats all the more impressive. link: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/6/26/4455830/draft-prospect-toi-quality-of-competition

#49 Ca$h-Money!
July 03 2013, 06:24AM
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

He is also said to have played upwards of 30 mins a night. If that's true you have to question his ability to produce points. Not saying he's not NHL caliber, but maybe not top 6.

Just a different take on how to break down the stats coming out of junior. We shall see.

#50 BJ
July 03 2013, 06:51AM
Baalzamon wrote:

The main issues with Howse (and a lot of prospects I imagine) are the little things like diet and being in shape and doing the things necessary to commit to becoming a pro athlete. It is not easy and it is not the life for everyone.