Flames qualify 9

Kent Wilson
July 02 2013 03:37PM

Busy Day.

According to the Flames, they have qualified the 9 guys listed above. Greg Nemisz and Paul Byron both get another chance, as I guessed they would in an earlier post today, although I suspect it's entirely for organizational depth purposes and not because they are seen as legit prospects anymore. 

Absent from the list are Bryan Cameron, Gaelan Patterson, Brady Lamb and Akim Aliu.

Cameron was a free agent signing out of the OHL three years ago. A high goal scorer at the time, he never found a way to translate that succes at the AHL level. Patterson is a former 7th round pick of the Flames who beat the odds by simply playing 3 years of pro hockey, albeit most of them were in the ECHL.

Akim Aliu was a heartwarming story when he was acquired by the Flames, but it was fairly clear on multiple viewings that he didn't have the skills to be an NHL regular. He has bounced around for years since being picked in the second round by Chicago and I miagine he'll have a tough time landing another contract, at least as far as the AHL is concerned.

Lamb is perhaps the most surprising of the guys not being retained. A college free agent signing, Lamb only played 51 games for the Heat and apparently didn't show enough to garner another deal.

 

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
Former Nations Overlord. Current Fn contributor and curmudgeon For questions, complaints, criticisms, etc contact Kent @ kent.wilson@gmail. Follow him on Twitter here.
Avatar
#51 Colin
July 03 2013, 07:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Ca$h-Money! wrote:

He is also said to have played upwards of 30 mins a night. If that's true you have to question his ability to produce points. Not saying he's not NHL caliber, but maybe not top 6.

Just a different take on how to break down the stats coming out of junior. We shall see.

All depends what zone he is playing 30 minutes in, if he is playing pretty well 90% of the time in the defensize zone (not likely but his team was BAD, VERY BAD!) then there is little oppurtunity to put up points. It's to bad there isn't a lot more stat keeping or public stats shown on a lot more of these situations, because without that knowledge it's a lot of guess work.

Avatar
#52 RexLibris
July 03 2013, 07:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

So, impromptu poll: Do Flames fans want to see Monahan play for the NHL team this coming season?

Regardless of what is in his best interests, but if he plays the first twelve games of the 2013-2014 season on the Flames' roster, will you be excited and happy to see him?

Just curious as to the thoughts of fans on which direction they want to see this coming season go.

Avatar
#53 Colin
July 03 2013, 07:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
RexLibris wrote:

So, impromptu poll: Do Flames fans want to see Monahan play for the NHL team this coming season?

Regardless of what is in his best interests, but if he plays the first twelve games of the 2013-2014 season on the Flames' roster, will you be excited and happy to see him?

Just curious as to the thoughts of fans on which direction they want to see this coming season go.

NO to him playing at all on the Flames, there is ZERO benefit to it. Think of the Baertschi scenario where he put up a bunch of goals during his emergency call up. If something like that happened they'd play him more than the 11/12 games and start up his ELC when we don't need to next year. This team is shaping up nicely to get another top 5 pick with the young guns already playing. Putting Monahan on the team isn't going to affect the standings all that much, maybe moves us from the 4th overall to the 6th overall at best, no sense right now.

Avatar
#54 Baalzamon
July 03 2013, 07:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Ca$h-Money! wrote:

He is also said to have played upwards of 30 mins a night. If that's true you have to question his ability to produce points. Not saying he's not NHL caliber, but maybe not top 6.

Just a different take on how to break down the stats coming out of junior. We shall see.

And MacKinnon didn't? Their scoring rates are actually not that far off (SM 1.34, NM 1.7) when you consider that MacKinnon had a winger that put up better than 2 points per game.

If that's a concern with Monahan, it's DEFINITELY a concern with the #1 pick.

Avatar
#55 Burnward
July 03 2013, 08:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Baalzamon

Yep, Monahan carried that crappy team on his back.

Avatar
#56 BurningSensation
July 03 2013, 08:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
RexLibris wrote:

So, impromptu poll: Do Flames fans want to see Monahan play for the NHL team this coming season?

Regardless of what is in his best interests, but if he plays the first twelve games of the 2013-2014 season on the Flames' roster, will you be excited and happy to see him?

Just curious as to the thoughts of fans on which direction they want to see this coming season go.

What I want most is for Monahan to dominate and thrive. If he's ready and able to do so at the NHL level, then he can stay and I will be happy for the Flames to burn a year of his ELC. If he's not ready to take on the NHL, send him back to jr so he can have success there.

If we bring him up to anchor a 4th line checking unit for 5min a night it hurts him in every way possible, while burning a year of his contract - which is how the Oilers do things.

Avatar
#57 Burnward
July 03 2013, 08:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@RexLibris

If he makes the team and is ready to go...I'm fine with seeing him in the show next year.

If it's clear in pre-season that he is over his head and they force feed him to the wolves...then I'm going to have a real problem with it.

Avatar
#58 Kevin R
July 03 2013, 08:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
RexLibris wrote:

So, impromptu poll: Do Flames fans want to see Monahan play for the NHL team this coming season?

Regardless of what is in his best interests, but if he plays the first twelve games of the 2013-2014 season on the Flames' roster, will you be excited and happy to see him?

Just curious as to the thoughts of fans on which direction they want to see this coming season go.

I guess Rex, if looks good in preseason then give him some games at the start before sending him back to the OHL. Like many here, expectations are very low next year, to the point of a top 5 pick in 2014. Now if he is just killing it & is playing at a Calder nominee pace, how do you not keep him up? I Nugent put up some good points but his body size was not NHL level & the Oil may have caused this kid to be Hemsky 2, lots of talent, always getting injured. Yapukov was fine & so was Hall but these kids had size to them just like Monohan. But I don't think too many Flames fans are expecting Monohan to step in & lead us to the promise land. I don't think Flames Management is either hence the trades for the likes of Jones & Galiardi.

Avatar
#59 piscera.infada
July 03 2013, 09:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@RexLibris

I really wouldn't mind seeing him in a few NHL regular season games, then send him back to the O, with him having knowledge of what he needs to improve on to be successful in the bigs. It's unfortunate that he has one year of eligibility left in the CHL. I'm not too sure how much he will actually get out of playing for the '67s, if the team is as bad as it was this past year. Man, do I wish he could go to the AHL this year - I feel like allowing him to play against some grown competition would be best for him. Unless, of course, the 67s get some kind of players that can help him truly dominate.

Avatar
#60 Avalain
July 03 2013, 09:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@RexLibris

Obviously the best scenario is that he is does AMAZING in camp and is ready to play in the NHL. He comes in, adapts really quickly to the level of competition, and thrives. So with that in mind I'd rather see him play in the NHL this year.

What I don't want to see is him pushed into it for political/marketing reasons and having him languish on the 4th line for 20 games before being sent back to juniors.

Basically, if he's ready to play in the NHL and receive a decent number of minutes, great. If he ends up being the steal of the draft at 6, even better. That being said, as long as he does ok in camp I'd really like to see him get a few games in the NHL just to give him a basis for comparison. I think sometimes it's hard to focus on how much you need to improve when you're way ahead of everyone else around you. Not saying that Monahan is like this, but I still think it would be good for him to get a true feel for where he has to be to take the next step.

Avatar
#61 maimster
July 03 2013, 09:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@RexLibris

I want him to look great in training camp and play a few (less than 10) games with the Flames early in the season, and then go back to the OHL. Important thing is that they be honest with him, tell him the plan - if this kid is as high character as everyone says, he'll be OK with the taste of the NHL and it'll give him something to shoot for the following year.

Avatar
#62 meat1
July 03 2013, 09:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I have a question....

Ok folks, where does Iggy sign? And for how long? And for how much?

Avatar
#63 Avalain
July 03 2013, 10:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
piscera.infada wrote:

I really wouldn't mind seeing him in a few NHL regular season games, then send him back to the O, with him having knowledge of what he needs to improve on to be successful in the bigs. It's unfortunate that he has one year of eligibility left in the CHL. I'm not too sure how much he will actually get out of playing for the '67s, if the team is as bad as it was this past year. Man, do I wish he could go to the AHL this year - I feel like allowing him to play against some grown competition would be best for him. Unless, of course, the 67s get some kind of players that can help him truly dominate.

Well, I know what you mean by it being unfortunate that he can't play in the AHL next year, but technically it's fortunate for us because it does mean he's younger and has more potential for improvement.

Avatar
#64 Jeff In Lethbridge
July 03 2013, 10:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
aloudoun wrote:

So many "B" names...

that jumped out at me too, kinda weird isn't it?

Avatar
#65 Jeff In Lethbridge
July 03 2013, 10:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
meat1 wrote:

I have a question....

Ok folks, where does Iggy sign? And for how long? And for how much?

i think he signs in LA for 2 years, 8 mil (4 m per)

Avatar
#66 Jeff In Lethbridge
July 03 2013, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

What I am wondering is what Feaster et al are going to do about a goalie? I can't imagine they start the season as is... with a career mc-backup and a covey of untested long shots. Sure, we have lots of prospects, but NOTHING proven.

Avatar
#67 piscera.infada
July 03 2013, 10:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Avalain

Oh, totally agree. I'm not going to say "it's crappy he's too young for the AHL" - of course it isn't. I'm just not so sure how much Monahan actually gains from playing a third year in the OHL on a bad team.

Avatar
#68 Baalzamon
July 03 2013, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

What I am wondering is what Feaster et al are going to do about a goalie? I can't imagine they start the season as is... with a career mc-backup and a covey of untested long shots. Sure, we have lots of prospects, but NOTHING proven.

Actually, that's almost certainly exactly what they're going to do. Ramo and Berra are both about 27. If they're ever going to be ready, they already are. The Flames gain nothing by "developing" them, and could potentially lose a lot by bringing in another veteran and having one or both geting fed up and fleeing back to europe.

Avatar
#69 Baalzamon
July 03 2013, 10:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Baalzamon

I should clarify this by saying the Flames are very high on both Ramo and Berra, and seem to consider both of them ready.

Avatar
#70 the-wolf
July 03 2013, 11:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Baalzamon wrote:

I should clarify this by saying the Flames are very high on both Ramo and Berra, and seem to consider both of them ready.

Yup, now or never. This is the perfect season for the team to see what it has. If they both flop, so what? Team isn't going anywhere anyways next season and they'd get another high draft choice and move on to something else. If they do work, then that's good too.

Avatar
#71 ChinookArch
July 03 2013, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
aloudoun wrote:

It is one of the best shows. Cant wait to watch more episodes.

I am curious to see what this roster looks like come September (or even after this weekend). The roster and depth chart doesnt make much sense but to Feaster's credit I guess thats part of rebuilding. There is something to be said for the relative excitement of new players coming in and competing for a spot, not an old guard thats guaranteed a job regardless.

Karate? The Dane Cook of martial arts? No, ISIS agents use Krav Maga.

The only show that makes me laugh, thinking about it.

Avatar
#72 BurningSensation
July 03 2013, 11:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
ChinookArch wrote:

Karate? The Dane Cook of martial arts? No, ISIS agents use Krav Maga.

The only show that makes me laugh, thinking about it.

"All I've had today are like six gummi bears and some Scotch"

Avatar
#73 Kevin R
July 03 2013, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Anyone else think Tuebart or Peckham would be worth a look on a 2-3 year term for $8-900K per. Edmonton were so focused on fast tracking their young guys on the front end, they never gave the young guys on the backend a chance.

Avatar
#74 BurningSensation
July 03 2013, 11:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kevin R wrote:

Anyone else think Tuebart or Peckham would be worth a look on a 2-3 year term for $8-900K per. Edmonton were so focused on fast tracking their young guys on the front end, they never gave the young guys on the backend a chance.

Teubert's rapid fall from grace is fascinating, but his issues (chiefly skating related iirc), don't appear to be fixable.

Peckham is probably a legit NHL bottom six D-man, but I am not aware of why he was so unloved last year by the Oilers. The deadmenton team had huge gaps on the blue and yet Peckham still couldn't find his way on board, so it's a red flag for sure.

Avatar
#75 BurningSensation
July 03 2013, 12:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Baalzamon wrote:

Actually, that's almost certainly exactly what they're going to do. Ramo and Berra are both about 27. If they're ever going to be ready, they already are. The Flames gain nothing by "developing" them, and could potentially lose a lot by bringing in another veteran and having one or both geting fed up and fleeing back to europe.

There is a very thin line that the Flames need to walk in the next few years as they look to develop the talent they have on board (Baertschi, Brodie, and the kids; Agostino, Hanowski, Cundari, Monahan, Poirier, Klimchuk, etc.), and looking to finish low as part of collecting more high draft picks/higer-end talent.

Sign a few good vets (Horton, Filpulla, etc) + an unexpectedly great season from Ramo and you could find yourself knocking on the doors of the playoffs again, and miss out on the talent needed to rebuild into a winning team.

Fail to bring in some vets to cushion the kids and you could fail to properly push them in development (because they are guaranteed a spot) and foster a losing/entitled mentality (see: Edmonton), where the kids check out of being part of such a crap team and look to bolt as soon as they can.

So far though, so good. Feaster landed some really nice pieces at the draft, and has brought in guys (Jones, Gagliardi) who will play balls-out and can take hard minutes without turning us into a surprise contender for the 8th spot.

Avatar
#76 Baalzamon
July 03 2013, 12:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kevin R wrote:

Anyone else think Tuebart or Peckham would be worth a look on a 2-3 year term for $8-900K per. Edmonton were so focused on fast tracking their young guys on the front end, they never gave the young guys on the backend a chance.

No. Not in any way. There's a reason those two guys never really got their foot in the door.

Avatar
#77 MC Hockey
July 03 2013, 12:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
BurningSensation wrote:

Teubert's rapid fall from grace is fascinating, but his issues (chiefly skating related iirc), don't appear to be fixable.

Peckham is probably a legit NHL bottom six D-man, but I am not aware of why he was so unloved last year by the Oilers. The deadmenton team had huge gaps on the blue and yet Peckham still couldn't find his way on board, so it's a red flag for sure.

Agree Peckham COULD be a decent bottom 6 D-man player but apparently makes boneheaded plays sometimes and thus hardly even played up for Oilers last year.

Avatar
#78 MC Hockey
July 03 2013, 12:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
BurningSensation wrote:

There is a very thin line that the Flames need to walk in the next few years as they look to develop the talent they have on board (Baertschi, Brodie, and the kids; Agostino, Hanowski, Cundari, Monahan, Poirier, Klimchuk, etc.), and looking to finish low as part of collecting more high draft picks/higer-end talent.

Sign a few good vets (Horton, Filpulla, etc) + an unexpectedly great season from Ramo and you could find yourself knocking on the doors of the playoffs again, and miss out on the talent needed to rebuild into a winning team.

Fail to bring in some vets to cushion the kids and you could fail to properly push them in development (because they are guaranteed a spot) and foster a losing/entitled mentality (see: Edmonton), where the kids check out of being part of such a crap team and look to bolt as soon as they can.

So far though, so good. Feaster landed some really nice pieces at the draft, and has brought in guys (Jones, Gagliardi) who will play balls-out and can take hard minutes without turning us into a surprise contender for the 8th spot.

Agree, but I think you forgot that guys like Corban (The Golden) Knight will be playing along side Jones, Galiardi.

Avatar
#79 daz
July 04 2013, 12:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
BurningSensation wrote:

Teubert's rapid fall from grace is fascinating, but his issues (chiefly skating related iirc), don't appear to be fixable.

Peckham is probably a legit NHL bottom six D-man, but I am not aware of why he was so unloved last year by the Oilers. The deadmenton team had huge gaps on the blue and yet Peckham still couldn't find his way on board, so it's a red flag for sure.

The word on Peckham was that he was quite out of shape when the lockout ended, and never made it out of Krueger's dog house. He might be worth a try. Should be cheap.

Comments are closed for this article.