Development Camp 2013: Jon Gillies

Ryan Pike
July 24 2013 08:26AM

PC #32 Jon Gillies

- pic via D. Mahoney

Let's be honest - the Calgary Flames have had a pretty rough time drafting and developing goalies over the past 10 to 15 years (or since Mike Vernon if you want to get technical). 2006 first round pick Leland Irving has quietly departed the organization, while recent history has names like Kevin Lalande, Matt Keetley, James Spratt, Curtis “McBackup” McElhinney and Andrei Medvedev as painful reminders of their inability to home grow netminders.

But things have seemingly turned around recently, with 2011 pick Laurent Brossoit likely joining the pro ranks this fall, European netminder Joni Ortio returning to North America from Finland and college sensation Jon Gillies looking to build upon an excellent freshman year.

In fact, Gillies has been cited by some observers as Calgary's best prospect. With great numbers for Providence College, a World Junior gold medal from Ufa – and the inside track on the starting job for Team USA's junior squad this winter in Sweden – Gillies is doing a good job acquitting himself as a developing goaltender. The 2012 third round choice of the Flames is entering his second year of a business management degree at P.C.

I had the opportunity to speak with the 6'4”, 220 pound native of Concord, New Hampshire at Calgary Flames development camp earlier this month.

Ryan Pike: Walk me through your last year. What was the experience like?

Jon Gillies: It was a whirlwind, that's for sure. It was definitely a dream year. If anyone had told me I would've done that at the beginning of the year, I probably would've laughed in their face. But, I mean, step by step, at the beginning I didn't know what to expect coming here. I hadn't skated much and it was kind of a bit of a wake-up call, showing me where I needed to be at the pro level.

I went into school with the mindset that I was gonna work my hardest and give my team a chance to win every night, and I was successful in being able to do that, thankfully. I had great teammates in front of me and a great coaching staff with their belief in me, and World Juniors was unbelievable. I got to play a couple games there, exhibition, and one period. Watching John Gaudreau, what he did was unbelievable. I had a front-row seat, watching him dangle defensemen, going back-bar and in, stuff like that.

I also, even though I didn't play I came back with a gold medal from that tournament because John Gibson is the best in the world, and I picked up little things that he does and stuff like that. That was fun. And we exceeded all expectations from a team standpoint with 13 freshmen. Nobody thought we were going to make the Hockey East tournament or anything like that, so definitely a stepping stone to build on this year.

Did you expect to be able to come in and be an everyday starter and a difference-maker for your college team?

In talking to them, I kind of knew the opportunity was there, and I mean, I didn't have any expectations. The only thing I expected from myself was that when I was in there, I was gonna give my team a chance to win every night, I was going to compete, and that's what I was able to do.

What are your expectations for this year? Obviously you want to have a better year than last year, but you set a pretty high benchmark to achieve last season.

Yeah, I don't know if you can look at it like that. If you look at it like that, you're probably not going to do as well. It's going back to basics, going back to the same things that made you successful this year, which for me was giving my team a chance to win every night, competing in practice and in games, and focusing on my off-ice strength and my focus. It's a high benchmark to try to supersede what I did last year, and I'm not going to try to do that. I'm just going to play my game.

Do you have a timeline in your head for your future? How are you going to know if you're ready to leave college? Is it definitely going to be a four year commitment, or is it something you look at year-by-year?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it at all that way. But I don't really think about it too much because that's out of my hands. The only thing I can control is how well I play and how well I develop. And when they feel I'm ready, I'll go because they know best, and they have my best interests and their best interests in mind. But until then I'm going to help my Providence College teammates.

Is it helpful that the Flames have so many goalies under contract? There's not much more room this year for goaltenders at the pro level, but maybe in the next couple years you'll be keeping an eye on how many goalies have deals?

I'm not looking that far ahead. I'm just taking it one day at a time right now. There's going to be a good battle up there in Abbotsford with Reto [Berra] and Joni [Ortio], and even at the top level with Joey MacDonald and Karri Ramo. It's gonna be fun to see how it plays out.

Flames development camp profiles

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
July 24 2013, 10:06AM

Here's hoping he can keep it up this season.

#2 chillout
July 24 2013, 01:38PM

If he doesn't get 15 shutouts and better than .927 save percentage then I say we turf him. This is his last chance to impress me. Oh and fire feaster.

#3 Rockmorton65
July 24 2013, 09:14AM

Another talented player with his head screwed on right. Man, I'm excited about the direction of this team.

#4 Bean-counting cowboy
July 24 2013, 09:25AM

I like this kids chances!

#5 Burnward
July 24 2013, 09:51AM

We will hate him, so much, soon. For that, we will love him.

#6 @Gingras34
July 24 2013, 10:11AM

Great job Ryan.

Kid has a great attitude. Looking forward to following him more this season.

#7 McRib
July 24 2013, 11:42AM

Think some might be interested, as it seems former Whitecourt Wolverines Linden Penner the Developmental Camp invite who stood out with two goals appears to be headed to Everett as Saskatoon (Drafted 218 dropped him from their projected list).Where he will get plenty of ice time to impress.

If he comes out of the gates flying the Flames should take a gamble and sign him, instead of trying to get him at the draft seems like a player to me. Glad he is not going NCAA for the sole reason that we can talk to him this season. Wonder if the Flames impacted his decision to head to the 'dub?!?!?

#8 beloch
July 24 2013, 01:10PM

There's not enough crazy in that kid to play in the NHL yet. Not unless there's something you left out... Any nervous twitches? Does he call his stick Janine? Has he ever picked his feet in Poughkeepsie?

But seriously, I am excited about this kid. Maybe his stats are all the crazy he needs!

July 24 2013, 01:36PM

@beloch

Yeah. Goalies are voodoo and goalie prospects are especially hard to predict, but there are few things more valuable than a kid who steps in at a young age and becomes a better than average starter in the NHL. It solves all sorts of problems.

I have no idea if Gillies is that level of talent yet, but his freshman season is certainly one of the best years we've seen from a Flames puckstopping prospect in a long time.

#10 Avalain
July 24 2013, 02:12PM
chillout wrote:

Don't you mean .972 save percentage?

#11 chillout
July 24 2013, 05:06PM

@Avalain

oops! was typing on my phone. either way if he can't show he's the greatest ever I want him gone.

#12 ChinookArch
July 24 2013, 05:23PM

It's nice to see that the Flames are well stocked of good goalie prospects, but I find it hard to get excited about young goalies. The position is such a crap shoot where projecting talent is concerned. Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next few years.

#13 Flamesbrain
July 24 2013, 05:37PM

As Brent Krahn was a 1st rounder in 2000, I think he should be added to the long list of Goalies that did not meet the high expectations.

As a result I am not big on drafting Goalies in the first round. I think its easier to give Laurent & John more leeway as they are later rounds.

#14 Victoria Flames Fan
July 24 2013, 06:35PM
beloch wrote:

I have been thinking the same thing... in interviews both Gillies and Brossoit seem too sensible, mature, normal to be good goalies.

#15 Flamesbrain
July 24 2013, 06:45PM
Victoria Flames Fan wrote:

As it looks like Ilya Bryzgalov "crazied" himself out of an invite to the Russian Olympic team, having 2 normal goalies sounds just fine to me.

#16 jeremywilhelm
July 24 2013, 11:07PM

Gillies EVSTR% is above .945 (or around there, the stats are a bit difficult to find). That's uh, pretty solid.