Five things: Jay Feaster and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Very Bad Week

Ryan Lambert
July 04 2013 08:16AM

 

 

(Author's note: If you are one of those people who thinks I am too negative about the way the Flames are run, I advise you skip this column for reasons which the headline should make obvious. There's nothing here for you.)

1. Let's get the good thing out of the way

It has not under any circumstances been a good week for Jay Feaster, and while I guess, "Jay Feaster screwed up again," can't technically qualify as news in July 2013, it's at least important to note that he isn't totally terrible at his job.

Early this week he successfully acquired winger TJ Galiardi from the San Jose Sharks for the low, low price of a fourth-round pick two drafts from now. This is good business, as is signing him to a one-year deal for next to nothing. Getting even a warm body to fill out the NHL roster for almost no cost at all, in terms of assets or money, is a very good thing.

There are concerns there, of course. That Galiardi won't even come close to replicating what he did in his rookie year, which was no especially great shakes itself, is obviously front and center, because he couldn't even succeed in terms of production when he was inexplicably slotted onto San Jose's top line.

But again, it's a low-cost deal with no risk beyond this season if it doesn't work out, and you'd rather they give that kind of deal to a 25-year-old than a 34-year-old just for the sake of getting Experience In The Room or whatever nonsense they could cook up. That's because, if he succeeds, you don't have to have any qualms about giving him another three years without expecting everything to flatline at some point during the deal.

Now, with that praise having been doled out, it's time to get into the far larger number of things Feaster screwed up since last we spoke. You've been warned. Twice.

2. The first bad thing

Not long after 5T was published last week came news that the Flames had traded Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich for David Jones and Shane O'Brien, which is a trade I don't really understand at all.

On the surface, it's the team moving its famous "post-apex" players for those that are decidedly "pre-apex," though taking on an addition $500,000 in salary to do so. That's an extremely negligible amount of money, but it grows to an additional $2.5 million against the cap in 2014-15 because O'Brien is signed for an additional year beyond what Sarich was.

So what's the problem with this trade: It's what it represents. The words people used in talking about this deal are the ones Feaster has been parrotting needlessly since everyone in the front office realized how bad the team was late last season. "Bigger," "harder to play against," the ideals of an era long gone. O'Brien is an obvious upgrade over Sarich, because just about anybody would be (Sarich really only succeeded by even meager terms because his competition was garbage, though it should be noted O'Brien's better performance in terms of corsi relative was also against relatively low-quality opponents).

Jones, meanwhile, may be younger than Tanguay but he's also appreciably worse, signed for the same amount of time, and for more money. He was good a few years ago, and the theory is that the Change of Scenery will do him good, but I'd really like to see it before I start believing it.

This was a deal made with a good idea in mind, so credit there, but the execution was certainly lacking.

3. Another mistake

That, I suppose, brings us to the two other obvious screw-ups, both of which were made at the draft. I'm not hugely in favor of taking Sean Monahan over Valeri Nichushkin (Monahan being the one guy in the consensus top-6 I wasn't totally sold on, based on the information available to me), but it's probably the safer pick, so I can't really begrudge it. 

However, when it comes to Emile Poirier, though, I thought that pick was outrageous. Not specifically because I don't think the player can turn into an NHLer, per se — though I'm always dubious of a highlight reel that's nothing but him blowing the doors off some poor-skating CHL defenseman to the outside, and of first-round QMJHL wingers in general — but because few had him going at No. 22. Judging by his reaction when his name was called, that included Poirier himself. This was made more troubling by the fact that Hunter Shinkaruk was just sitting there, waiting to be chosen several picks after everyone assumed he'd be taken.

Of course, Feaster assures everyone that Poirier was safely inside Calgary's top 10 draft-eligible prospects, which seems odd for a guy for whom the buzz was that he "might" go in the first round. Kent called it a "no brainer" when Shinkaruk was there at 22, and yet here we are with that player as Canucks property and Poirier already talking about making the team. Woof.

This goes back to Calgary's supreme confidence in its scouting, because even a decent pick at No. 28 like Morgan Klimchuk, whom they swear they had at No. 13, shows that if they have a plan, they don't deviate. Meaning that a team which hasn't drafted particularly well in forever is putting all its faith in internal scouting, and not deviating from its plans no matter what.

Is Poirier going to be a better NHLer than Shinkaruk? I don't know. But I know that every other hockey person on earth didn't think so on Sunday afternoon. I can't go around putting a lot of faith in the thinking that led to an off-the-board-of-picks-that-were-off-the-board pick like Mark Jankowski. As it was put to me at the conclusion of the first round: The fact that we're using "It could have been worse" as praise for the team's drafting at this point tells you everything you need to know. Especially when you're talking about The Most Important Draft In The History Of The Calgary Flames. 

The other guy who they shouldn't have drafted is Keegan Kanzig, who objectively sucks at hockey, and was selected when a number of more enticing prospects including Jordan Subban were still available.

You just really can't trust the Flames to not screw things up at draft time. That's the lesson here.

4. Comments on Lecavalier

And you can say the same thing about the lip service paid to the rebuild. The second an over-30 player in which the Flames had any interest came on the market (Vinny Lecavalier), all pretense of pursuing only "pre-apex" players went directly out the window.

Jay Feaster practically performed an interpretive dance routine in talking about how badly he would like Lecavalier in Calgary, all but screaming that when it comes to players of his ilk (assumedly, this means 33-year-old second-line centers who had just been bought out and whom Feaster had previously managed) "transcend post-apex." That, for those scoring at home, is shorthand for "All that stuff I've been saying is BS." This is the guy being trusted to rebuild the Flames. It's insanity.

The only reason that we're not talking about Lecavalier being on the team as a result of the team having been so thoroughly mismanaged to this point that it's no longer a prime free agent destination, if it ever was one, which is debatable. Thankfully, the Flyers, too, are in the business of giving out questionable free agent contracts, and they at least present the illusion of success.

5. Brodie's fixing to be offer-sheeted

Just prior to my writing this, it was revealed that Jay Feaster has yet to even open negotiations with TJ Brodie about a new contract, since he is about to become a restricted free agent starting tomorrow.

We've been told that this is fairly common practice: GMs and player agents alike are fairly happy to wait around, let UFAs set the market, and then negotiate a deal toward the end of summer. Okay, fine.

But there's a problem for Feaster specifically, and something that should give people pause overall. Feaster is the most recent general manager to do the worst thing a person in his job can do: He offer sheeted another team's player. This makes him and the Flames' RFAs, of which there are several, targets. And of those targets, only a small number would actually be worth the trouble. At the very tipppy-top of that list is Brodie, who teams in the market for defensemen — say, I don't know, Colorado — would likely do very well to add.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see someone pay Brodie a little more than market value on an offer sheet just to twist the knife with the Flames' rebuild plans. And maybe that GM will actually have the benefit of understanding how NHL waivers work.

6. B-B-B-BONUS-S-S-S-S THING

There is, of course, a way for Feaster to redeem himself. Yesterday, for seemingly no good reasons, the Wild and Sabres bought out two players that Calgary should be targeting hard. Tom Gilbert, a 30-year-old former Oiler though he is, could provide help in the near-term and maybe create some flexibility to trade someone with actual value (Giordano) while they still have it.

Gerbe, meanwhile, is just 25 and was completely misused by Lindy Ruff in each of the last two seasons — largely in a checking role — and is certainly worth a shot with another club that, say, has plenty of minutes to go around in its top six and needs warm bodies. He's being bought out, by the way, on a deal that pays him just $1.45 million against the cap for next season only. Someone would be wise to at least give him another chance, because he's just two seasons removed from scoring 16 goals in 64 games.

Get either one of these guys, and that's a step back in the right direction.

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
Yer ol' buddy Lambert is handsome and great and everyone loves him. Also you can visit his regular blog at The Two-Line Pass or follow him on Twitter. Lucky you!
Avatar
#51 the-wolf
July 04 2013, 12:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

"Regarding the negative feedback Lambert gets here, I say puck them. Lambert is not Kent or Azevedo or BoL, he's Lambert. He's got his own style and his own views and like it or not, he knows hockey and he knows how to produce content on the subject. I come to FN daily and there's always something to read that's sincere and worth my time."

Agreed. There's a subset on FN who rather than just counter with a logical argument feel as though they have to make personal attacks on him all of the time as though he's not entitled to an opinion. Juvenile, to say the least.

Avatar
#52 McRib
July 04 2013, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Really don't agree with anything this article points out.... Especially our drafting... Everything I have read so far has our draft in the Top. 10, some as high as first (a firm that loves Poirier).

Valeri Nichushkin over Sean Monahan... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If FN was doing the drafting they would get every bust in the league, their is a reason people fall on draft day and name me one player that fell over concerns of character who is a star NHLer?!?! Can you say Alexander Radulov?? Nichushkin refused to lift a weight at the NHL Combine and only interviewed with certain teams. He walked out of one interview when they asked him if he would play in the AHL. What a joke you really want him on your team...

Its funny the only people who think Emile Poirier was a bad pick was ISS, NHLCSS and Corey Pronman. Two of which are based out of Florida and hardly watch a game if any!! Every other person in the Hockey World had Poirier going 20-30 and all are incredibly high on him.

Its actually fitting Vancouver drafted Hunter Shinkaruk, no one has drafted more busts than Mike Gillis recently and after falling ten spots, teams clearly had problems with how Shinkaruk interviewed. Does not surpise me as I have met him, he is Elbow Park as they come.

Avatar
#53 Kurt
July 04 2013, 12:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
BurningSensation wrote:

You mean if you follow the rabbit trail we traded JBo for;

Rito Bera (lilely backup next year) Mark Cundari (likely a top 6 D-man for us next year) and Emile Poirier (a probable future 2nd or 1st line winger)

Looks OK to me for a $6M+ a year defenseman who can't score.

For comparisons sake, lets see what the Leafs get for Phaneuf.

I fully admit the trade will take 3-4 years to accurately judge. That I do not debate. I'm just saying that's some big shoes to step into. You just said it'll work out if all 3 assets basically turn out to be ideal and hit their max ceiling. Its highly unlikely all 3 even pan out never mind excel. Billing Poirier as a 1st line winger is a BIG stretch at best. Possible yes, but hardly any late 1st rounders turn into 1st liners.

But I digress... As I said nobody knows or will know for a few years if anything works out. Perhaps all 3 make it and the trade is a home run. That is possible.

My reservations are based on my personal experience. Many of my close buddies are Coiler fans. For years they were feeding me BS about their latest and best prospect and pick who was going to save the team and be the next allstar superstar. Robert Nilson, Andrew Cogliano, or in 2007 when they had 3 1st rounders = Gagner, Alex Plante (just cut loose by the team), Riley Nash (complete bust). As Flames fans we haven't been so terrible or desperate that we've had to put our hope for the future on 18 year olds... until now. We just haven't had high picks nor a terrible team so we haven't paid too much attention, nor put too much pressure on our kids. I think we need to be very careful to keep expectations in check until these guys prove something in the NHL. Even the most highly touted prospect is still a big time risk until they earn a full time NHL job.

For example... Every heard of this guy >> Frozen Four MVP. Hobby Baker finalist. Despite his diminutive size, he makes up for it off the ice with his strong build. On the ice he is known for his skating ability and scoring touch as evident with 68 points in 43 games in NCAA. He models his game based after Martin St. Louis of the Tampa Bay Lightning and Danny Brière of the Philadelphia Flyers, who are also known for their small size and on-ice ability. Johnny G? Nope, Nathan Gerbe, who is currently on waivers after being completely unable to translate his NCAA dominance to the NHL....

Lets just wait until some of these guys prove themselves in the NHL..... Otherwise we look just as dumb as delusional Coiler fans.

Avatar
#54 McRib
July 04 2013, 12:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Here is a question for all the critics?!?! If Emile Poirier was like you say, "supposed to go in the second round"?

Why is he invited to the World Junior Team Development Camp and Morgan Klimchuk a basic lock for the first round, who performed exceptionally well at the U18s for Canada in the past not?!?!!? Honestly 23-30 picks all would have taken him thats how much hype he had on draft day with NHL teams. Hometown Montreal was dying to get him at 25, but they "knew" it was very unlikely.

Maybe I am a blind fan of the Flames, because I like the Mark Jankowski pick (toolsy late blooming power forwards with plus skating are hard to find), but you have Emile Poirier wrong he was always going 20-30 and would have gone higher if the season was a few months longer, I mentioned him multiple times on this board as a possible first round target. Clearly no one listened, honestly for me the Flames drafted three future building blocks at forward in this year first round I am through the roof! Not to mention Eric Roy in the fifth the rest is just gravy.

Avatar
#55 Baalzamon
July 04 2013, 12:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@McRib

" name me one player that fell over concerns of character who is a star NHLer?!?! "

Isn't that the reason Getzlaf fell? Albeit in probably the best or second best draft ever.

Avatar
#56 the-wolf
July 04 2013, 12:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
McRib wrote:

Really don't agree with anything this article points out.... Especially our drafting... Everything I have read so far has our draft in the Top. 10, some as high as first (a firm that loves Poirier).

Valeri Nichushkin over Sean Monahan... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If FN was doing the drafting they would get every bust in the league, their is a reason people fall on draft day and name me one player that fell over concerns of character who is a star NHLer?!?! Can you say Alexander Radulov?? Nichushkin refused to lift a weight at the NHL Combine and only interviewed with certain teams. He walked out of one interview when they asked him if he would play in the AHL. What a joke you really want him on your team...

Its funny the only people who think Emile Poirier was a bad pick was ISS, NHLCSS and Corey Pronman. Two of which are based out of Florida and hardly watch a game if any!! Every other person in the Hockey World had Poirier going 20-30 and all are incredibly high on him.

Its actually fitting Vancouver drafted Hunter Shinkaruk, no one has drafted more busts than Mike Gillis recently and after falling ten spots, teams clearly had problems with how Shinkaruk interviewed. Does not surpise me as I have met him, he is Elbow Park as they come.

I've never been a Pronman fan. I stated prior to the draft that I thought he was over-wordy in order to try and sound informed, but his reports often just repeat the same info 2 or 3 fold.

I've heard Shinkuruk interviewed at length twice and he was very engaging and humble. I know NHL team interviews are far different than media interviews, but I really can't see that as being the reason he dropped.

IMO, Shinkutuk was picked where he should have been based on a combo of his talent, size, hockey IQ and performance history. He was never on my taget list and maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I have no issues at all with Poirier even though I was totally unfamiliar with him when he was selected.

Lastly, I'm unfamilar with ISS's record, so no comment, but I've never a big fan of CSS or the way they rank. Can't be bothered to pay for a draft report, so no comment on Red Line or McKeen's either. I usually just go off THN, TSN and TSR, plus some additional online digging at random on guys I like in order to try and find consensus.

Avatar
#57 McRib
July 04 2013, 12:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Baalzamon

He was also no where close to being a projected Top. 10-12 like Shinkaruk, he was all over the board at least from my memory could be wrong, I know Calgary liked him instead of Dion at one point. You know who was supposed to go second round that year from some people's perspective and Anaheim "reached" for him... Corey Perry!!

Avatar
#58 piscera.infada
July 04 2013, 12:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Kurt

I'm with you on not pinning all our hopes on the 18 year olds coming up. That said, it's not a logical reason to start tarring and feathering the guys who made those picks. If anything all it does is give yet another reason to preach patience.

Rebuilding a franchise (from what is essentially ground-zero) is going to be full of ups and downs. Therefore, it is really nonsensical to get too high or too low on anything we do 2, 3, or 4 years before it should reasonably pay off.

That is the crux of my problem with some of the posters here (and Flames fans in general). Did I like the first round? Yes, as far as first rounds go, we did well. Do I think our rebuild is done? Hell no. Just because it isn't I'm not going to take out my frustrations on Feaster picking Poirier over Shinkaruk, nor am I going to fret him going all loose-cannon on a 3rd round pick (Kanzig).

I don't think this draft and the two trades made around it are a microcosm of our rebuild - honestly we have no idea what that even looks like yet. I do think we got some reasonable pieces though. Just my - very lackluster - opinion.

Avatar
#59 McRib
July 04 2013, 12:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@the-wolf

USA Today features some Red Line stuff monthly, you should check them out !! Attached is RLRs Mock Draft.

Quote on Emile Poirier "Hear that? It’s the sound of fervent praying as the Habs try to subconsciously will the rest of the league into staying away from this hometown Montreal stud. If they land him at #25, it will be the biggest steal of the draft."

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/RLR-Mock-Draft-June-2013.pdf

Avatar
#60 kurt
July 04 2013, 01:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
piscera.infada wrote:

I'm with you on not pinning all our hopes on the 18 year olds coming up. That said, it's not a logical reason to start tarring and feathering the guys who made those picks. If anything all it does is give yet another reason to preach patience.

Rebuilding a franchise (from what is essentially ground-zero) is going to be full of ups and downs. Therefore, it is really nonsensical to get too high or too low on anything we do 2, 3, or 4 years before it should reasonably pay off.

That is the crux of my problem with some of the posters here (and Flames fans in general). Did I like the first round? Yes, as far as first rounds go, we did well. Do I think our rebuild is done? Hell no. Just because it isn't I'm not going to take out my frustrations on Feaster picking Poirier over Shinkaruk, nor am I going to fret him going all loose-cannon on a 3rd round pick (Kanzig).

I don't think this draft and the two trades made around it are a microcosm of our rebuild - honestly we have no idea what that even looks like yet. I do think we got some reasonable pieces though. Just my - very lackluster - opinion.

AGREE! All I'm asking for is realism..... MOST likely Poirier isn't going to be a 1st fwd, but MOST likely neither is Shinkaruk. Nobody knows, but we will in a few years.... Its not bad to be optimistic. But counting on players reaching their ceilings as part of the plan for a rebuild is risky business. I just like some objective realism.

I think the key point from your comment is idea of patience and time. This is going to take time. 3-4 years. Slow and steady. No crazy expectations on anyone we drafted this year. I'm actually fairly happy with the draft this year. We still lack any elite talent, but hopefuly we get another top 5 pick next year and get a true superstar.

Avatar
#61 Jeff Lebowski
July 04 2013, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I really don't know how Gerbe was used, if he just can't produce but that guy is incredibly gifted at handling the puck. Magic hands in that dept.

Avatar
#62 McRib
July 04 2013, 01:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@kurt

Emile Porier can skate like the wind (youtube) with great size, he plays with a chip on his sholder (101 PIMs) and took his game to another level offensively despite weak club when it mattered most willing team to upset of Rimouski in the first round (26 pts in final 20 games). You can write him off as a first liner, but he has Corey Perry written all over him for me. Hunter Shinkaruk is a Sam Gagner second line PP scorer for me. 6'2" Forwards that can skate like the wind are hard to come by.

Avatar
#63 piscera.infada
July 04 2013, 01:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@McRib

He's not writing him off as a first liner. He's just saying the pragmatic approach is to not EXPECT it of him.

Not saying you're expecting it. But we kind of did the whole "Backlund first line centre" thing for awhile, and it didn't happen. So there were a couple years of disappointment there.

If Porier ends up as a second liner, who can score and help this team. I'll be entirely happy with that, regardless of where Shinkaruk ends up. If he kills it on Van, maybe he would have blown big chunks (for lack of a better saying, term, etc.) in our development system... We just don't know.

Avatar
#64 Captain Ron
July 04 2013, 01:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Danger wrote:

Warning: This post is largely about writing style, not hockey. Feel free to skip it if you're not interested in that. Also, it's a long one. Like RexLibris long.

I usually refrain from commenting on tone or writing style on FN - it's a hockey blog, not a literary magazine, after all - but today I'm making an exception because of all the bile that has been directed at Lambert's writings as of late.

I enjoyed this week's 5T (as I often do), but I especially liked the fact that in spite of extra warnings about pessimism, this was actually a pretty balanced take with several (mildly) positive comments. Given the kind of week it's been, I don't think you could honestly have said any nicer things about the Flames' moves.

Obviously, the tone was still a bit snarky, but that's just Lambert's writing style. Personally, I enjoy a bit of snark so I really don't see it as a problem. I have no idea if I am in the majority or the minority on this matter, but certainly the people who don't like the acerbic stylings of Mr. Lambert are very vocal about it. I therefore think it's only fair that I should speak up and express my appreciation of this kind of writing.

I'm not saying that those who dislike this kind of writing are wrong, just reminding them that taste is subjective. Plus, it's not like Lambert is making up all the questionable things Feaster has done. For whatever reason, our GM seems determined to make one questionable or just bad move for every decent or good move he makes. He does make some good moves, to be sure, but that makes it all the more mystifying and frustrating when he goes out the very next day and makes boneheaded mistakes.

Nice Lambert apologist comment. You sound like his Mom. "Oh he was a little bit snarky today but that's just my Ryan."

His "attack ad" style of writing is the reason that some "bile" is directed his way in the aftermath. Not everyone likes it.

Since some one has already done it for me I won't bother to criticize his suggestions that we "seriously" look at signing Tom Gilbert. After all Jay Feaster and Flames management I will assume can redeem themselves in his eyes if they do this:

"There is, of course, a way for Feaster to redeem himself. Yesterday, for seemingly no good reasons, the Wild and Sabres bought out two players that Calgary should be targeting hard. Tom Gilbert, a 30-year-old former Oiler though he is, could provide help in the near-term and maybe create some flexibility to trade someone with actual value (Giordano) while they still have it."

No mention of Minny's goaltending save percentage of somewhere around .875 last year with Gilbert on the ice though. Must have been his on ice partners fault.

On top of that we could add another smurf who was possibly underutilized in Buffalo.

Yup this is just what the Flames need. Of all the players that will be available we should "target" these two guys.

After criticizing Feaster for things such as draft choice preferences in the first round that may or may not work out based on the general consensus of others he obviously holds in higher regard than him, he lays that last bit of brilliance on us.

For the most part RL reaps what he sows. I'm sure he knows that.

Avatar
#65 McRib
July 04 2013, 01:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@piscera.infada

Understand everyone here has been let down by the Flames before, but Backlund is nowhere close to the skater Poirer is not to mention he has plus size with similar offensize number game should translate to NHL better.

After watching Hunter Shinkaruk all season it doesn't surprise me he fell. After watching one YouTube of Emile Poirier, I actually can't understand how he only went 22...... The only thing I am worried about in terms of Vancouver is Bo Horvat.

Considering Colton Gillies went 16th his draft year, only because he had size and could skate. Porier has the similar wheels/frame combination, but unlike Gillies he doesn't have hands of stone, Zero Hockey IQ he has good hands and a plus shot. People who like Poirier say he could be the steal of the draft, count me as one.

Avatar
#66 piscera.infada
July 04 2013, 01:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@McRib

You're misunderstanding my line of thought. I really like the Poirier pick (for all the reasons you mention). I'm just not betting the farm (that I don't own) on him being a first line winger. I see him - as it stands, at this very moment - as a second line guy, with first line upside.

As Kurt said though, assuming all our prospects meet or exceed their ceiling is a risky business. All I'm saying is that as much as I like Poirier, Monahan, and Klimchuk - I wont go ass-over-tea-kettle if they aren't our first line in the future. I have no doubt in my mind that they will contribute to the Flames moving forward - but I'm under no illusions that you can cherry pick two of those guys and bill them as the next Getzlaf and Perry.

Avatar
#67 Kurt
July 04 2013, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
McRib wrote:

Emile Porier can skate like the wind (youtube) with great size, he plays with a chip on his sholder (101 PIMs) and took his game to another level offensively despite weak club when it mattered most willing team to upset of Rimouski in the first round (26 pts in final 20 games). You can write him off as a first liner, but he has Corey Perry written all over him for me. Hunter Shinkaruk is a Sam Gagner second line PP scorer for me. 6'2" Forwards that can skate like the wind are hard to come by.

If he had Corey Perry written all over him he would have been taken top 3, probably 1st overall.

Corey Perry won the Hart Trophy and Maurice Richard. If you expect that from Porier, I don't even know what to tell you. Wow...

Avatar
#68 McRib
July 04 2013, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Kurt

Corey Perry was drafted 28th overall in a very deep draft much like this season!!!!! At the time of the 2003 Draft most in the Hockey World looked at Anaheim selecting him as reaching, because many felt he should have gone in the second round. They both put up eerily similar numbers their draft years and play an identical up-tempo forecheck high pressure game, thanks to a much sought after plus Size/Skating combination.

Obviously Corey Perry is best case scenario, but in deep draft years certain players tend to fly under the radar and like Corey Perry I think and so do most out east, Emile Porier is one of them.

For you to say that someone great should go third overall because they are currently a great NHLer, clearly shows how clueless you are to the Drafting Process!! One of the best players in the NHL Pavel Datsyuk went 171st in the Draft!! Not too mention countless others that you would consider "Steals" something that Poirier is looking like to me.

Avatar
#69 McRib
July 04 2013, 02:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@piscera.infada

The one thing that people seem to be missing is the absolute strength of this seasons draft!!!! If this was any other draft year (6, 22, 28 picks) would still make a skeptic out of me, but this is the deepest draft in a decade, since 2003!!!

A year in which Ryan Suter went 7th, Dion Phaneuf-9th, Jeff Carter-11th, Dustin Brown-13th, Brent Seabrook-14th, Zach Parise-17th, Ryan Getzlaf-19th, Brent Burns-20th, Ryan Kesler-23rd, Mike Richards-24th, Corey Perry-28th, Loui Eriksson-33rd, Patrice Bergeron-45, Shea Weber-49, David Backes-62

Top Draft years like this you dont compare players to average first rounders. A 22 overall pick this year in all likelihood would be a Top. 10-15 any other year. You gotta ask yourself where would Corey Perry have gone in a weaker draft... Then compare that to a Morgan Klimchuk. Any other year a player like Morgan Klimchuk who was a top leading scorer at the U18s for a championship Canadian club would not be going 28th.

For me the Flames got three players that any other year would be Top. 10s (Monahan Top. 3), thats why I cannot be a skeptic. Top. 10 have a good chance of panning out. Look at the players who went in the first round... Most or all of them are already leading scorers or top two Scorers on their team, hence the deep draft year they are already better than first rounders or anyother top junior players older than them.

Avatar
#70 piscera.infada
July 04 2013, 02:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@McRib

It sounds like you have it all figured out. When Klimchuk wins a Richard and Hart trophy, then I'll pat you on the back.

One more time (and I'll get out of everyone's hair on this point); I like our first round this year - in fact, I really like it. However, to compare it to 2003 (AT THIS POINT IN TIME) has absolutely no leg to stand on. It's a baseless assertion until we see some (nay, all) of these guys play.

Avatar
#71 Flames Nation Who?
July 04 2013, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Umm this is more pathetic than all of the other FN posts. Can't you guys hire "editors" that actually understands the game and whom actually do researches on the topic they talk about. It seems to me their only goal of writing these bs are to trash the flames. LAMBERT MY A$$

Avatar
#72 McRib
July 04 2013, 02:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@piscera.infada

Hahah, Never said anyone was going to win a Heart Trophy @Kurt impied that I did, just said Emile Poirier's situation to when he was drafted and style of game was similar to Corey Perry's, that's it that's all.

I do think people aren't realizing how deep this draft is going to look in a couple years and to have three upside first rounders is a great thing!! In 2003 the first round produced 15-16 Franchise type players, considering we have three first rounders in the best draft since it, I just can't see us ending up with no less than Two Top.6 forwards (trying to stay conservative for you, Haha), plus Sven Baertschi/John Gaudreau. Thats a very decent start.

Avatar
#73 BJ
July 04 2013, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Flames Nation Who? wrote:

Umm this is more pathetic than all of the other FN posts. Can't you guys hire "editors" that actually understands the game and whom actually do researches on the topic they talk about. It seems to me their only goal of writing these bs are to trash the flames. LAMBERT MY A$$

Yup..lambert.typically I enjoy your writing but this post is foolish. You sound like a whiny kid who is crying because Feaster didnt make the exact moves you would have made... all in all it was actually a pretty good week for Feaster.

Avatar
#74 RJ
July 04 2013, 02:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Anyone know if there's any truth to the suggestion in this article that the Flames had a potential deal for Seguin squashed because ownership didn't want to pay Seguin's second contract?

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/source-seguin-peverley-traded-stars

Avatar
#75 McRib
July 04 2013, 02:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@BJ

Let me assume the role of cynic for a moment as being the hype guys isn't working for me at the present time.... "Pretty Good Week for Feaster" Haha. Or best week as a Flames GM?!?!?

If Lambert cannot get excited about the last couple of weeks he isn't going to like Feaster much tomorrow, because you know we are signing at least one overpriced FA!!!

At least by July 10th our shiny new prospects will be arriving into town and everyone other than Lambert will rejoyce at least a little.

Avatar
#76 piscera.infada
July 04 2013, 02:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@RJ

The article says nothing really. Perhaps if we knew what Boston really wanted it would be more fruitful getting worked up over.

Avatar
#77 McRib
July 04 2013, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@RJ

Yes, heard it would have included our sixth pick among other things (they wanted Gaudreau), was at the draft and people said it was fairly close to happening.

Glad it didn't as it seems Tyler Seguin has a bit of a partying problem in Boston and they were shipping him out to the highest bidder we were on a list of three-four teams actively talking with them.

Avatar
#78 RJ
July 04 2013, 03:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
McRib wrote:

Yes, heard it would have included our sixth pick among other things (they wanted Gaudreau), was at the draft and people said it was fairly close to happening.

Glad it didn't as it seems Tyler Seguin has a bit of a partying problem in Boston and they were shipping him out to the highest bidder we were on a list of three-four teams actively talking with them.

I know that Monahan is a very highly rated prospect, as is Gaudreau. But Seguin is a proven NHL player, who led his team in scoring two years ago, and has won a Cup, all at the age of 21. From reading comments from fans in Boston, Seguin was never a prototypical Bruin-type player and didn't fit the Bruins mold, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't thrive in another system.

I would think getting traded is a pretty good wake-up call, as is the media reports he was partying around so hard he wore the same clothes for three days in a row. A very public wakeup call seemed to work for Kane. We'll see if it works for Seguin.

I would have made that trade in a heartbeat. That's one potential positive on Feaster's record expunged by ownership.

Avatar
#79 BJ
July 04 2013, 03:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
McRib wrote:

Let me assume the role of cynic for a moment as being the hype guys isn't working for me at the present time.... "Pretty Good Week for Feaster" Haha. Or best week as a Flames GM?!?!?

If Lambert cannot get excited about the last couple of weeks he isn't going to like Feaster much tomorrow, because you know we are signing at least one overpriced FA!!!

At least by July 10th our shiny new prospects will be arriving into town and everyone other than Lambert will rejoyce at least a little.

Fair enough.... Im not trying to "hype" the last week but overall we added 3 good forawrds at the draft didnt draft a goalie in the first round and made a couple trades... how about instead of pretty good i say not bad.... cause that is what it was. "terrible it was not. "amazing it was not. But lets drop the dramatics inject some realism.

I dont see why the Lecavalier thing is a big deal either way. Feaster was asked a loaded question by the moronic media. He side stepped it... he knows Vinny... he is not going to say anything negative to the media.

One of the reasons I read FN is because for the most part it cuts through the media BS and offers some insight to fans.

The tanguay trade is realistic for his age and production the last couple of years.

Avatar
#80 McRib
July 04 2013, 03:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@RJ

Did you see what Dallas gave up?!?!? It was not just the sixth pick (Monahan) & Gaudreau by the way it was them and two-three other top picks prospects, easily one of Poirer or Klimchuk. Imagine if we walked away from the draft with just Poirier during a rebuild year....

Dallas just dismantled their AHL/Farm System completely, as I think Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith & Matt Fraser are legitamite NHLers. That is not what Calgary needs right now a questionable Seguin and all our good young guys out the door. Honestly don't be surprised if Carey Price gets traded as well then, similar rumblings at the draft for him, Montreal not happy with his extracurriculars.

Man Boston totally won this trade, IMO. Loui Eriksson had 29 points replacing Tyler Seguins 32 points. They dump Seguins big contract and all his question marks, as everyone in Boston said he paints the town red nightly and that’s all he cares about. He literally party's with all the Patriots Bad Boys (Vereen/Gronk). Plus Boston get two very legitimate NHL ready prospects in Fraser/Smith not to mention former first Morrow and dump Peverleys Salary.

Avatar
#81 BurningSensation
July 04 2013, 05:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@chillout

"Another thing for me was him complaining about Poirier's highlight reel and how he only has one move, but isn't Nichushkin's reel pretty much the same thing as well??(I haven't seen either reel). Just sounds a little hypocritical to me."

Nichushkin's highlight reel;

http://vimeo.com/66567397

Shows a 'sameness' in how he scores his goals. He comes down the wing with speed, drives the D-man wide or simply bulls his way into the slot, makes a nifty stickhandle and scores. I do REALLY like the move where he walks his defender along the blueline before he drives the lane and eventually makes a backhand pass to Kuznetsov.

Here's Poirier;

http://youtu.be/pIBLICwkIQk

Which shows (I think) a wider range of skills than Nichushkin's does. That said, at least some of Nichushkin's highlights are against either international competition (which is decidedly tougher than QMJHL), or from an actual men's league (the KHL), so his degree of difficulty is likely higher.

Avatar
#82 rj
July 05 2013, 02:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@McRib

I don't want to discount the possibility that every one of the first rounders won't be future NHLers. One or two of them might even become All-Stars someday.

But the failure rate of draftees to play even 200 games is pretty high. So when you have a proven player who has won a ring, and he's only 21, then Seguin is more than just a prospect, he's a proven top-6 player who hasn't scratched the surface on how good he could be.

Seems like a calculated risk, but it's one I'd take. We'll see in a couple of years whether I look like an idiot for suggesting it. lol

Comments are closed for this article.