Through Two Hours...

Justin Azevedo
July 05 2013 12:23PM

kris russell (1)

Pic Via Scott Haselius

And the Flames haven't made a huge splash yet.

However, there are a couple moves to announce: G Karri Ramo's contract has been finalized and is said to be 2 years with an AAV of $2.75 million. The Flames also traded a 5th round pick for D Kris Russell, who will likely play top-4 minutes for the Flames this year, and then signed him to a 1-year contract worth $1.5 million.

Ramo has been covered extensively here, but the pick for Kris Russell doesn't make much sense when the Flames could've had him yesterday for free. At least the pick is mostly worthless and Russell is on the right side of 30. Ideally, Russell is a 5D, which is likely where he'll play this year. Russell still has some upside to him as well, so good move overall.

C Corbin Knight also signed his deal, which has a base of $810K anually over two years, with bonuses up to $3.75 million.

Update: D Chris Butler has signed (1 year, $1.7 million) and the Flames have also signed 24-year-old D Chad Billins out of the AHL to a contract as well (1 year, $925k). Billins scored 10 goals and added 27 assists in 76 games last year in Grand Rapids, for an NHLE of 16. He likely has some upside and will battle for a bottom-pairing spot next year. He'll be 25 when the season starts and was undrafted.

More to come.

A9d138d0e612f28cd46f9b7057ed715d
Justin is a 23-year-old Flames fan who also happens to be pursuing a double major at the University of Calgary. He has played hockey at high levels, enjoys wearing shorts and tends to drink far too much Grasshopper. Please don't hate him.
#1 Q
July 05 2013, 12:26PM

Where r u guys getting your UFA news. You are all way ahead of me! I'm on tsn.ca, sportsnet, and you're announcing the Weiss deal before any of those sites.

#2 Robert Cleave
July 05 2013, 12:29PM
Q wrote:

Twitter's a mile ahead of those sites.

#3 jeremywilhelm
July 05 2013, 12:29PM

The Russell move was stupid but whatever. Feaster has messed up too bad yet....

#4 jeremywilhelm
July 05 2013, 12:30PM

Signings that are complete garbage:

Clarkson Bozak Gordon Weiss Clowe

That's some really bad GMing there.

#5 Austin
July 05 2013, 12:32PM

Why is it stupid? I'm sure Feaster has some reason for doing it.

#6 Austin
July 05 2013, 12:32PM

Why is it stupid? I'm sure Feaster has some reason for doing it.

#7 Austin
July 05 2013, 12:32PM

Why is it stupid? I'm sure Feaster has some reason for doing it.

#8 loudogYYC
July 05 2013, 12:32PM

Unfortunately this is the exact kind of execution that makes Feaster & co. seem so unqualified for such an important job. He preaches the importance of draft picks and assets and gives one away when he could've had a player for free!

#9 Austin
July 05 2013, 12:33PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

Signings that are complete garbage:

Clarkson Bozak Gordon Weiss Clowe

That's some really bad GMing there.

Clarkson is brutal, Bozak and Clowe are bad, but Gordon is fine and so is Weiss.

#10 LanderW
July 05 2013, 12:36PM
Austin wrote:

How many lockouts and bad, bad contracts do people have to sit through before GMs LEARN. Srsly.

#11 Parallex
July 05 2013, 12:42PM
loudogYYC wrote:

Not quite free... claiming him would have moved the Flames to the bottom of the waiver priority list. That's a cost albeit a small one.

Regardless he was free yesterday, today is not yesterday. I would presume they wanted a different defenseman (Ference or Scudari would be my guess) but found the price prohibitatively expensive or was rebuffed. Thus onto Plan B which they knew would be cheap.

#12 RexLibris
July 05 2013, 12:44PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

Signings that are complete garbage:

Clarkson Bozak Gordon Weiss Clowe

That's some really bad GMing there.

I'd put the Ference signing in there before the Gordon one.

Clarkson is an overpay, same with Bozak. Clowe and Ribeiro we'll have to wait and see, I've never been a fan of the latter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was not Kris Russell available on waivers the other day for nothing?

#13 Michael
July 05 2013, 12:50PM

I think the Flames should make a major splash and make Feaster 'the best GM not in the NHL'

#14 CFan in Vic
July 05 2013, 01:03PM
Michael wrote:

Ha ha ha. Awesome.

#15 Flamesboi
July 05 2013, 01:16PM

To those that believes we should of picked up russel at waivers but if we'd done that, it will change our waiver priority.

#16 jeremywilhelm
July 05 2013, 01:16PM

@RexLibris

Gordon for 3 years? Big overpay.

On the scale of today, the Russell situation is a small blip.

#17 RexLibris
July 05 2013, 01:17PM
Michael wrote:

He is putting up some very post-apex stats.

#18 WildBill_1485
July 05 2013, 01:18PM

Saw Jay Feaster on the midway at the Stampede crushing deep-fried snickers bars......

#19 RexLibris
July 05 2013, 01:26PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

Gordon for 3 years? Big overpay.

On the scale of today, the Russell situation is a small blip.

The $3 million is a lot more than Belanger, and now it is highly dependent on performance and deployment. If he can function as a Horcoff replacement on the PK, win faceoffs, and chip in 20 pts a year, then perhaps it is worth it.

This was a risky move but there weren't many other options.

#20 jeremywilhelm
July 05 2013, 01:31PM

Sam Reinhart is gonna look good in Flames silks. He's a special kid.

#21 jeremywilhelm
July 05 2013, 01:32PM

@RexLibris

Yep. I like Gordon. But 4 years? That's an ugly term for that money.

#23 Robert Cleave
July 05 2013, 01:39PM

Hell of trade by Ottawa and Anaheim. Bryan Murray's owner might be broke, but he has enough jam to make big moves.

#24 BurningSensation
July 05 2013, 01:48PM
Parallex wrote:

THIS.

I believe that Russell was 'Plan B' in the event they missed on Ference - who got one of the stupidest contracts the Oilers have ever handed out.

#25 Q
July 05 2013, 01:49PM

Wow, with all the signings we are guaranteed 30th

#26 jeremywilhelm
July 05 2013, 01:57PM

7 years for Hamonic. About on par with Josi. Hamonic is probably better.

#27 Rob Ravage
July 05 2013, 01:58PM

Am I the only one a bit ticked that Seguin and Ryan were available during the draft but no word on if Feaster tried to offer something including one of our later 1st rounders and instead took Poirier? You mean Boston wouldn't have let Seguin go for a first rounder and prospect &/or any one of our expendable roster players? How about Cammi, prospect and late 1st round pick to Anaheim for Ryan and their 2nd round pick? Darryl was bad because of horrible contracts. I'm not pointing fingers at Jay, I'm convinced he's just the puppet and Ken King, Murray Edwards et al are the ones pulling the strings.

#28 Lordmork
July 05 2013, 01:58PM

Part of me was hoping that Feaster could work some magic and bring some younger players onto the team, or at least some players who would improve the team overall. But it seems increasingly clear that the cost of that would be prohibitive. So I'm OK with filling up the team with local boys and running for a high draft spot this year while our prospects mature in the AHL. I don't think we run any risk of making the playoffs with our current roster.

#29 Colin.S
July 05 2013, 01:59PM

I have a very very bad feeling that Brodie is in play, we have Wideman, Giordano, Cundari, Russel, Smith, Butler and SoB. We already have a full compliment and one extra just there, nevermind if we sign anyone else.

#31 Lordmork
July 05 2013, 02:01PM

@Rob Ravage

According to a post in the UFA thread, the cost for Seguin would have looked like Sean Monahan, Morgan Klimchuk and John Gaudreau, for a player with an expensive contract and apparently partying problems. If that really was the cost, I would be extremely nervous about such a deal.

#33 mattyc
July 05 2013, 02:03PM

@Colin.S

Smith and Cundari are probably replacement level right now, and Butler isn't far ahead/behind... Wideman Gio, Brodie and Russell as a top 4 with Butler SoB Smith is how I see it falling - although we could probably still use another top 4 d (who wouldn't)...

#34 McRib
July 05 2013, 02:03PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

7 years for Hamonic. About on par with Josi. Hamonic is probably better.

Honestly I think both Travis Hamonic and Roman Josi could easily become Top. 2-3 Defenders.. Don't understand the fuss about those contracts at all. Smart to lock players down before they hit Apex. Paying Travis Hamonic $3.8 Million/per in a year or two has a better chance of being a genuis decision, rather than a bonehead one in my eyes. Feel the same with Josi... What does TJ Brodie get now?!?!?! Something similar!?!?!

#35 aloudoun
July 05 2013, 02:04PM

Cundari actually looks promising. I think he will a least start the year in Calgary.

#36 McRib
July 05 2013, 02:08PM

@aloudoun

Like Cundari as well but should never be paired with Russell... A couple power forwards would clear that pairing out. Haha.

#37 Rob Ravage
July 05 2013, 02:12PM
Lordmork wrote:

@ Lordmork

If the deal had been done at the draft, I think that late 1st rounder would have looked attractive to Boston as they would have 2 picks close together and Monahan wouldn't have been an issue. Agree that he needs to mature...but many are like that and can be guided properly with the right teammates and coaches (C. Pronger,P. Kane, PK Subban, Getzlaf etc..)

#38 Smokey
July 05 2013, 02:13PM
BurningSensation wrote:

THIS.

Its our Wideman contract. Two years he will look good as a top four, the last two we will pay him in the minors.

#39 Parallex
July 05 2013, 02:15PM
aloudoun wrote:

Gio, Wideman, Brodie, O'Brien, Russell, Smith, Butler... I'm not seeing a spot for Cundari (plus he'd also have to beat out Breen and other candidates).

#40 Lordmork
July 05 2013, 02:17PM

We just signed Butler and Chad Billins, via Wes Gilbertson on twitter. 1.7 million for one year for Butler, Billins to a two-way, one year deal for $925 000.

#41 dotfras
July 05 2013, 02:22PM

Billins an AHL All Star selection last year. Looks decent enough to add some depth on the farm.

#42 Lordmork
July 05 2013, 02:27PM

Another B player to add to our collection.

#43 Parallex
July 05 2013, 02:28PM
dotfras wrote:

Clay Wilson 2.0? He's only 24yo so maybe some upside still left in there.

#44 McRib
July 05 2013, 02:29PM

@Rob Ravage

No, it was with almost certainty (95%) the 6th pick, everyone in NJ was saying the same thing, even Feaster was saying they might trade that pick (for Seguin is what he was talking about). It was common knowledge. Not sure if it would have also included our 22nd, 28th or another prospect, but the 6th and John Gaudreau was a must for Boston!! They needed to replace Seguin with either a Top Pick or Player, but our 6th made the deal for us.

#45 jeremywilhelm
July 05 2013, 02:31PM

@BurningSensation

Plan B to Ference? I'd say Russell was plan A to Ference is terrible now

#46 bill
July 05 2013, 02:39PM

I think Chad Billins was the transcending post apex steal of free agency so far.

#47 BurningSensation
July 05 2013, 02:40PM
Rob Ravage wrote:

@ Lordmork

My understanding is that Feaster actually took a proposal to ownership for Seguin and was rebuffed.

I also understand that the #6 overall was a non-negotiable portion of the offer for Seguin. So, yeah, Monahan, Gaudreau and another asset was the cost for him.

Part of me is glad it didn't happen.

#48 Sincity1976
July 05 2013, 02:40PM

I still want Brunner. I am glad to see Feaster avoiding some of the big fish. But there are still some small and mid sized fish worth hooking.

#49 BurningSensation
July 05 2013, 02:41PM
jeremywilhelm wrote:

Plan B to Ference? I'd say Russell was plan A to Ference is terrible now

I concur. Ference was attractive as a vet/lleader/local boy/former Flame, but is otherwise way overpriced for what he brings now.

#50 BurningSensation
July 05 2013, 02:42PM
Parallex wrote:

Smith is likely the odd man out in that situation. I think Cundari gets a long hard look based on what he showed last year, and Smith would have (minor) trade value if he gets squeezed.