FN Weekend Open Thread - What are you Looking forward to in 2013-14?

August 10 2013 10:47AM

The Calgary Flames will enter next season as one of the favorites to finish last in the league. The club lacks offensive fire power, will probably be playing kids at key positions and its goaltending is a complete enigma. If everything breaks right, the Flames might be competitive night-to-night, but it's much more likely to be a long, painful winter here in Calgary.

Which doesn't mean there won't be reasons to watch. Ironically, I've found a lot of fans are actually more interested and optimistic about the team than they have been in a long time, if only because this year represents a new dawn which has been too long delayed. The overall record won't matter as much as the development of certain key pieces.

With that, here's what I'm looking forward to this year:

- Watching TJ Brodie

The kid went from possible NHLer to possible top-two NHLer in the space of 40-games last year. His development over the last 12 or so months has been incredibly rapid - in fact, one of the steepest curves we've seen out of a blueline prospect of his age in a long time.

Brodie has his bridge deal and I'm willing to bet he's at least top-3 on the back-end in terms of points and ice time this season. In fact, if he somehow manages to take another step forward, he'll do better than that.

- Mikael Backlund emergence

If he can stay healthy, Backlund is poised to put together a career best season and finally establish himself as a primary contributor. He's already the best two-way center on the team, so all he needs is to stay out of the infirmary and put a few more points on the board. It will be very interesting to see how Bob Hartley deploys him this year.

- Sven Baertschi development

Sven had an up-and-down first season, but it ended with him putting together a seven game point streak and lookin much more comfortable at the NHL level  than he did on his initial foray in January. While the wings will be somewhat crowded in Calgary to start the year (Glencross, Cammalleri, Hudler, Jones, Galiardi, Stempniak), there's no question Baertschi is perhaps the most naturally talented offensive player amongst them.

It's easy to forget that Baertschi hasn't even turned 21 years old yet (he will in October) and that last year was essentially his 19-20 year old season, year most prospects spent in junior hockey. For him to simply make the team and play a regular shift will mean he's ahead of most player's development curve, let alone if he plays a top-six position. Keep in mind Claude Giroux (my personal "hopeful" comparable for Baertschi) played in just 42 games as a 20-21 year old and  scored 27 points (0.64 PPG).

That is my benchmark for Baertschi - if he can match or exceed around 0.60 PPG this year, it will probably be a really good season for the kid (who is still technically a rookie BTW).

- The debut of Corban Knight

I don't really know what to expect from the college stand-out, so I really just want to see how he handles himself against NHL competition. I am assuming he'll make the team out of camp and that he'll play a "two-way" role from the outset, but beyond that, who knows...

- What can Feaster get that the deadline?

The Flames are almost certainly going to be sellers again at the trade deadline. They liquidated all of their "big ticket" items last April, but they still have some guys who might bring in a few useful futures, performance depending. Mike Cammalleri could land another first rounder if he can put together a strong season. With an expiring contract and 25-30 goal pace, Cammalleri should be one of the most sought after rentals on the market.

After him, guys like Lee Stempniak and Matt Stajan may attract some interest. If either guy has another good season the Flames may try to re-sign either or both, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to move on to greener pastures. If so, Feaster should put them on the auction block.

What are you looking forward to this year? Share in the comments.

#1 coachedpotatoe
August 10 2013, 02:12PM

First I want to say why I joined the flames nation; it had to do with part in the comments code that says write as if your mom was reading over my shoulder. So in saying this I must say how disappointed I am at the picture attached comparing the Flames season to the Christ on the Cross. I get the freedom of the press etc and I won't keep people bored by talking about my faith but I had to mention this. As a Flames fan what excites me most about this season is finally seeing what the plan is; are they paying lip service to the rebuild by hiding the prospect or are they going to see them play in every situation. This will be along season but player development at the NHL, AHL, CHL and in the US college system is what I look forward to, I can't wait.

#2 chillout
August 10 2013, 08:24PM

@coachedpotatoe

wow seriously??? I think someone needs to look on the bright side of life.....instead of looking for anything to somehow offend you and your religion. Totally sick of the hypersensitivity hardcore religion types display all the time. Just looking for a reason to complain and twist the meaning of things so that you can sensor it.

#3 chillout
August 10 2013, 11:20PM

@coachedpotatoe

I did read your apology, felt I had to make my point regardless.

#4 Uks YA
August 11 2013, 10:47PM

you know why your going to finish last??

because your team trades away Brett Hull, Marc Savard and give away Martin St.Louis LOL!!!!

then look at feasters draft record??

are u sure feaster aint a Oiler fan??

#5 NHL93
August 10 2013, 10:57AM

I'm looking forward Feaster's truffle-shuffle.

#6 Robear
August 11 2013, 12:47PM
Baalzamon wrote:

I'm looking forward to "The Flames are pleased to select, from the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League, Defenseman Aaron Ekblad!"

Mostly, I'm looking forward to a season that isn't mired in doom, gloom, nostalgia, and denial.

Getting Ekblad would be awesome, and an outcome that I think is entirely plausible given the makeup of this team. Unless Ramo comes in and steals games regularly, this team will struggle mightily to string wins together.

I do have to say that I'm surprised at the thread of optimism that seems to be surging through the FN threads. Even with all the hope and potential placed on our suddenly more prosperous farm system and prospects, they haven't proven a lick in the Show. I would still much rather be having the debate about Iginla re-signing after another close playoff miss at the end of season.

I fear that people underestimate how much it sucks to lose regularly, as this team will over the next 3-4 yrs before the kids get enough game to compete at the NHL level.

I'm also a believer that success breeds success. Being brought up in a losing culture like that up North, extends out the losing seasons for several years, as a "winning" attitude gets re-learned. Hopefully those people who are excited for the 2013-14 season are still "excited" in 2015-16 for anther season where we will be out of the playoff discussion before the beginning of March.

#7 RexLibris
August 10 2013, 03:54PM

Personally, I'm looking forward to Feaster's next contribution to the sporting lexicon. We've had intellectual honesty, post-apex, and so many wonderful other witticisms. I can't wait for this season to start.

#8 chillout
August 11 2013, 07:55PM

@Jeff In Lethbridge

lol you're hilarious!

#9 s_yav14
August 10 2013, 02:15PM

Playoffs

#10 chillout
August 10 2013, 04:22PM

@coachedpotatoe

that's from a monty python movie so don't get your feathers too ruffled. Besides....actually never mind not going to talk religion. just get over yourself is all i'm going to say.

#11 s_yav14
August 10 2013, 02:15PM

Playoffs

#12 BurningSensation
August 10 2013, 03:53PM

"Life's a piece of sh*t, when you look at it..."

Things I am looking forward to;

- Kari Ramo establishing himself as a #1 goaltender

- TJ Brodie arriving as a legit 1st pairing defender

- Beartschi scoring 30 goals and winning the Calder

- The signing/debut of Johnny Gaudreau

- Corban Knight's two-way game

- Backlund's offense improving with his underlying stats being EXCELLENT

- Sean Monahan absolutely tearing up the OHL

- Mark Jankowski sticking it to Ryan Lambert by leading Providence in scoring and making a run at the Hobey Baker

- John Gillies winning the Hobey Baker

- The aquisition of another 1st rnd pick (or multiple 2nds)

- The Oilers missing the playoffs. Again.

#13 coachedpotatoe
August 10 2013, 04:49PM
chillout wrote:

My feathers are just fine, I've seen the movie, many times when I was young and thought it was funny and has it's place. Even here. But comparing whatever our hockey team and us as fans will go through with the cross whoever is on it is a bit much. I will just leave it be and get back to talking hockey.

#14 ChinookArch
August 10 2013, 11:42AM

"Keep in mind Claude Giroux (my personal "hopeful" comparable for Baertschi) played in just 42 games as a 20-21 year old and  scored 27 points (0.64 PPG)."

That is high praise of Baertschi, I hope your right. I"ve liked the comparisons to Eberle myself, but I see why you like Giroux as a template.

I'm looking forward (okay wishing and hoping) that Camelleri and Stempniak tear it up this year, so Feaster can garner a real nice return for each. And then that's where the hope fades, since Feaster just hasn't been great at getting good returns IMO.

I'm really hopeful one of the goalies emerges as a true #1.

#15 Stephen Thakkar
August 10 2013, 06:12PM

It is all about the kids no doubt about it, Personally I would like to see ourselves find a number 1 goalie so we don't find ourselves in an Edmonton mess, (you suck Dubnyk). Personally I would rather Monahan spend another year in Junior, there really isn't a need for him at the NHL level right now, let him tear up junior another year and bring him back when we start getting closer to being able to actually compete. I am, for some strange reason, very excited for this season

#16 Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea
August 10 2013, 11:37AM

I'm also looking forward to the Canucks continuing to deteriorate as their window slams shut. They are in the early phases of denial that plagued us in the Sutter era. I told my Canuck friends out here three years ago that the Flames would win the cup again before the Canucks did and I stand by that. Of course they laughed at me - the poor fools.

#17 Michael
August 10 2013, 11:52AM

What am I looking forward to, a top three draft pick! Day in day out this team isn't likely to be very competitive, so its pretty much snooze though most of the regular season.

#18 Glenn
August 10 2013, 12:14PM

"Ironically, I've found a lot of fans are actually more interested and optimistic about the team than they have been in a long time"

I think fans are excited by the unknown and the hope that comes with that. In the last number of years it has been only the fear that comes withing already knowing the same old same old.

Hopefully their one of the goalies will work out. If not, we should easily get a top 3 pick. See, that's not all bad either.

#19 RKD
August 10 2013, 01:07PM

My list is pretty much identical, I am looking for Backlund to have a career high this season if and only if he can stay healthy.

I'm expecting Baertschi to keep progressing and take some larger steps forward, he said in an interview a while back he wants to be the face of the franchise. He's going to have play really strong and be consistent.

Brodie should be about the same as last season, I don't see him going backwards if he can keep progressing that is certainly going to pay big dividends for the Flames and himself down the road.

Corban Knight was one of Florida's top guys in the system, if he can be a strong face-off guy then his value to this team will be crucial.

What about the vets? I'm watching to see if Gio can regain the form he had before his left leg hamstring injury. Is he going to be the Gio of old or the Gio who struggled in a top 2 role and made some of the most brutal giveways last season? It wasn't just his body, his head wasn't in the right place at times.

Can Cammy regain his scoring touch, how will Glencross do in a larger role? Will Hudler be checked out on rebuilding team or will he excel. Without Iggy, Tangs, other guys don't have to be in shadows, the spotlight will shine brightly on a lot of the vets too.

#20 Demetric
August 10 2013, 01:48PM

looking forward to the surprising amount of chemistry, heart and desire the team will have this year and the wins that will follow inexplicably.

#21 schevvy
August 10 2013, 11:17AM

I am looking forward to having Red Hot as the team's official goal song. (how awesome would that be)

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to watching Sven hopefully get as many opportunities as possible to succeed. I have a feeling he's going to be a bright spot this year. Also want to see Brodie continue to develop, and am curious to see how big of a loss J-Bo is to the D core (spoiler alert: huge loss)

I'm also curious to see how bad the line of McGrattan, Jackman and Begin (you just know he'll be re-signed) will be. GRIT

#22 negrilcowboy
August 10 2013, 11:26AM

Personally,I am looking forward to an exciting season with Intellectual Honesty throughout the nation. Lets hope the fans, ownership and organization as well as the players are realistic in their veiws. This is going to be a year of ups and downs, of growing pains, therefore exceptance on all levels is paramount. Lets hope and pray there is not any ridiculous statements of dilusion or grandeur permeating from the ivory tower.

#23 piscera.infada
August 10 2013, 12:15PM

Of the list above (and aside from Knight, because I don't want to beat that dead horse again) I'm most excited to see what Backlund can do with real opportunity. He should get some nice pp time for a change and some awesome offensive opportunities outside of that.

Like most Flames fans, I know this is going to be a long season that will likely be hard to watch, but I'm still extremely excited.

Above and beyond the list Kent created, I'm really excited to see if we sign the two college guys - Gaudreau and Agostino - after their season is over, and if they play a few games at the tail end of the year. I don't think I need to state how excited I am for Gaudreau, but I'm equally excited for Agostino. I really (and I mean really) like the guy as a player. He fits the bill for exactly what I think this team will need in a second line winger in a couple of years. Mark my words, this kid will be similar to Ryan Callahan! Although, obviously not a centre (but you know what I mean).

#24 Emir
August 10 2013, 12:30PM

Lots to look forward to this year, and all of it has been mentioned.

what I'm personally looking forward to is actually being able to go to a game. Ticket price isn't an issue, but availability is. Going to make it a lot easier for the people to go and see a game and that makes me happy.

#25 Baalzamon
August 10 2013, 02:10PM

#26 suba steve
August 10 2013, 11:56AM

I know the conventional wisdom says that Monahan needs to go back to his junior team, and if it is obvious from his play, then that is what should happen. However, every so often a non first overall makes the leap and blossoms (eg. Skinner). Hey, it could happen?

Looking foreward to:

-the trade deadline

-Sven progressing

-TJ progressing

-seeing Monahan against NHL comp.

-following prospects to monitor their progression (Janko, Poirier, Klimchuk, Gaudreau, Kanzig, TSpoon, etc.)

-watching draft eligible high end players, knowing that the Flames will get a chance to call one of their names next summer

Yes, I am more excited about the coming season, because I know we now have hope of improving over the longer term. With last years squad I was just hoping for losses to improve draft position. This year the losses will come, but watching the kids learn and improve, that takes all the sting out of the losing.

#27 Colin
August 10 2013, 12:01PM

I think the most interesting thing for me will be our UFAs.

With guys like Stajan and Camm set to be UFAs the way the season rolls around could determine what happens to them. If either of them have a crappy year, cut them loose at the deadline and tank even harder. If either of them have a good year, talk about an extension before the trade deadline, if one can't get done, trade em. Nobody is going to trade for the rights to either player and just because they had a good year doesn't mean the team will and they may not want to stick around for that rebuild, get what you can and look to the future.

On resigning either of them however, if their contract demands are greater than 3 or 4 years, dump them and be quick about it. There is no senese in signing either of them to lengthy contracts, but neither of them is a terrible player to have around to fill holes in line ups and having one or both of them on shorter contracts is perferable to what Feaster might do in UFA land.

#28 Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea
August 10 2013, 03:38PM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

I don't think it was meant to be insensitive to any particular faith. The photo is a still from the scene in 'Life of Brian' where they are singing 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life', as a reference to an optimistic outlook. And, if I may say, crucifixion was a common form of execution back in those days - Christianity does not have the monopoly on 'cross' references.

#29 chillout
August 10 2013, 04:24PM

link to the clip from life of brian. always look on the bright side of life!

#30 Victoria Flames Fan
August 10 2013, 04:48PM

I am looking forward to seeing Jon Gillies in a Flames jersey (maybe not this year), after he stoned Canada today.

#32 Jeff In Lethbridge
August 10 2013, 07:10PM
Victoria Flames Fan wrote:

That's what I was thinking!!!

next best goalie in the NHL in the pipes!

#33 coachedpotatoe
August 10 2013, 08:35PM
chillout wrote:

Dear chill; Have you not read my apology for being over sensitive, I get the point. I have moved on,hope you can.

#34 Kenta
August 11 2013, 04:21AM

I'm looking forward to seeing if any of our European goalies will pan out.

I also look forward to the day Ken King no longer has any meaningful role with the club.

#35 Jeff In Lethbridge
August 11 2013, 06:26PM
chillout wrote:

who are you calling hypersensitive? talk about calling the kettle black... why don't you quite being so sensitive?

#36 Kurt
August 10 2013, 11:17AM

This is SOOOOO true.

"Ironically, I've found a lot of fans are actually more interested and optimistic about the team than they have been in a long time, if only because this year represents a new dawn which has been too long delayed. The overall record won't matter as much as the development of certain key pieces."

I hope we get exactly the amount of wins it takes to get 30th place. 1 less point than 29th, whatever that is. But I'm excited and not completely frustrated for the first time in 4 years.

I'm cheering for the Cammy types this year more than the Sven's. I want the kids to develop, but I'm good with slow and steady progress without any crazy expectations. But the vets with value, I want to pump and dump, so I hope Cammy gets a boatload of goals by the trade deadline. That would be ideal.

#37 Flamesbrain
August 10 2013, 11:44AM

From a flames perspective I am looking for that surprise story like Horak, Hanoski or someone else surprising everybody.

From an NHL perspective I am looking forward to seeing how the dynamics of the reallignment and new divisions plays out. I think that it might take some teams down to the Flames level that we may not anticipate?

#38 T&A4Flames
August 10 2013, 11:58AM

The kids, it's all about the kids. Baertschi, Brodie and Backlund I'm very excited to watch with the big club. But who else gets on the big club. Another 'B' in Bouma? Knight? Horak?

I'm also so interested to see what we have in our goalies. Is Ramo the real deal? Will Berra surprise and surpass Joey Mac and Ramo. What about Ortio and Brossoitt? Gillies further development and hopefully a magnificent showing at the WJC's (except losing gold, barely, to Canada).

. Speaking of which, i am excited and hopeful that Monahan, Poirier, and yes even Janko and Sieloff in the WJC's. mot to mention hopefully others like Klimchuk. Janko's development is something I'm very very, nervously excited for. I do expect a good year for him. Sieloff, Wotherspoon, Gaudreau.....so much to pay attention to and get excited for.

There is still stuff to be sorted out league wide, will CGY and their cap space come into play? The trade deadline, the draft. So much anticipation.

#39 Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea
August 10 2013, 12:16PM
Flamesbrain wrote:

Great points. This is the best year in ages for the potential for upside surprises. Funny how we're all getting so stoked for what could be their poorest season points-wise ever.

We may also have a long tough road to the playoffs given the new alignment.

#40 T&A4Flames
August 10 2013, 12:33PM
Colin wrote:

I think the most interesting thing for me will be our UFAs.

I fully expect Cammi and Stajan to be gone by the time next season rolls around. They should both be moved by or before the deadline. I like both guys, I just don't see the need for them with more youth about to be introduced to the big league. And, we still carry enough veteran presence in Gio, Wideman, GlenX and Hudler.

#41 Colin
August 10 2013, 01:02PM
T&A4Flames wrote:

You still have to ice an NHL lineup, and there is no garuantee that any of our prospects can make a meaningful impact at a top 6 position at this point in their development curves. Having one or both of these guys on another shorter contract is not a bad thing for the Flames. I don't see any value in starting a youth lineup strictly for the fact that we should be younger, I don't mind losing if you can see the goal in the long run as long as we are still competitive, but at the same time, if these kids can't handle top 6 minutes meaningfuly, I don't want to see the team go 10-72 or something simply for the reasoning of being youner.

Again, its the devil you know vs what Feaster might acquire in free agency, if the choice is Matt Stajan for another 2-3 years or for example Legwand for 6-7 years?

Theres a couple of good centers available in the offseason, but not much good after that. Stajan and Camm are young enough that neither of them should fall off a cliff and on a short contract is not the biggest deal if they did. We have tons of cap space and won't be competing for a cup for 2-3 years anyways. I don't mind keep some NHL guys around if it means proper development of our younger talent through the AHL, rather then thrusting them immediately into the NHL.

#42 Chris
August 10 2013, 02:47PM

Kent, I think this is a pretty funny statement:

"there's no question Baertschi is perhaps the most naturally talented offensive player amongst them."

No question and perhaps don't go we'll together. Haha. What kind of writing is that? Kidding aside, I am looking forward to seeing how our goaltending situation turns out... For better or worse.

#43 Kurt
August 10 2013, 03:16PM
ChinookArch wrote:

I'm really hopeful one of the goalies emerges as a true #1.

I agree. Giroux would be nice, but I think thats a bit lofty. I like the Eberle comparison. Either way, those would be nice homeruns. Finally, a homegrown/Flame drafted star... Hopefully the first of many more.

It'll be interesting to see. The Oilers let Eberle stew in the WHL for 2 full years along with consecutive cups of tea in the AHL. Probably one of the only things development wise I'd admire about the Oiler rebuild. I'd suggest the way we handled Sven was a little less ideal.

But to follow the Eberle or even Giroux's first year curve, he needs to have a substantial breakout this year. I just looked it up, and Eberle got 43 pts in 69 games (no idea why he missed 13 games?) Thats 0.62ppg which is almost the same as Giroux's 0.64 and Kent's target of 0.6 - which equates to 50pts. I honestly don't know if he can do on this team, but if he does we'll know we got something special.

#44 c
August 10 2013, 03:29PM
Baalzamon wrote:

I have heard a couple of others on different sites talk about Ekbald yet I did not see his name on any WJC tryouts. What makes him your choice?

#45 piscera.infada
August 10 2013, 03:40PM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

It's from the Monty Python movie "The Life of Brian", where they sing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". I'm not sure that makes it any better but you should take issue with the British comedy troupe, not FN - in context the picture is quite apt for this discussion.

Looking on the bright side is something we're going to need to do a lot as Flames fans over the next couple seasons. As long as everyone progresses there should be light at the end of the tunnel.

"I'm Brian and so is my wife!"

#46 suba steve
August 10 2013, 03:40PM

@coachedpotatoe

The attached pic is an out-take from Monty Python's Life of Brian. That scene includes the song Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. That I believe is the "message" in the pic. The bearded man is Brian.

I find no offence in the inclusion of this pic and can't imagine that any was intended.

Jesus is often displayed on a cross in church, where people may use him as inspiration to get through any crisis (large or small). Why does that depiction not offend you, where one relating to the Flames would?

p.s. You probably shouldn't see the film, and you should skip The Meaning of Life as well.

#48 c
August 10 2013, 04:52PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Since my last reply I went and did some research; he sounds like a cross between Pronger and Niedermier. I could see this type of player if he is as good as the information I read being a real force. The top prospect also sound like good fits.

#49 coachedpotatoe
August 10 2013, 05:16PM

This isn't a reference to JC: Christ isn't the only person in the world who was ever crucified. The joke is the juxtaposition between being crucified and looking "on the bright side of life".

Unfortunately that was how I took it, so my apologizes. I get the joke. I even enjoyed the movie although it has been years since I have seen it. I'm moving on.

#50 Skeittari
August 10 2013, 06:23PM

I regret waking up 3:30 AM to watch the Flames play and then going to work. But the regret stops at 4:00PM as I get back home to my wife and dog and realize it's only hockey. Repeat.