FN Weekend Open Thread - News and Notes

Ryan Pike
August 17 2013 10:36AM

As we bowl headlong into the last two weeks of the NHL's off-season, it's probably time for a quick news and notes update for the weekend. After the jump we'll talk about the Flames new ECHL affiliate, the changing of guard in radio media and look at where some former Flames prospects have ended up.

THE ECHL SHUFFLE

The Calgary Flames will have a brand new ECHL affiliate for the 2013-14 season. Their previous affiliate, the Utah Grizzlies, announced last week a new partnership with the hated Anaheim Ducks, now a bitter divisional rival of the Flames. While the ECHL has hardly been a priming ground for high-end NHL talent, particularly for the Flames, who've developed such notables as Adam Pardy and Brennan Evans via the ECHL route, it's useful for giving really raw players somewhere to work the kinks out. It also allows the team to make room for better players at the AHL level if there's a traffic jam.

I'd expect the Flames to have an ECHL affiliation of some kind in place for the year, if only to give one of their three minor league goalies somewhere to play regular minutes. As of today, the Las Vegas Wranglers, Colorado Eagles, Alaska Aces and Fort Wayne Komets have no NHL parents. Calgary has previously partnered with Las Vegas, so maybe they'll get that going again

THE RADIO BOOTH SHUFFLE

Things keep changing on the radio front for the Flames as well. Veteran colour man Mike Rogers retired a few weeks ago – and will be missed on the Fan 960's broadcasts – although Hall of Famer Peter Maher will definitely return for yet another season behind the mic. No word on who'll be replacing Rogers, although it definitely won't be Andrew Walker, who's off to Toronto to join the Fan 590.

On the AHL front, Ryan Pinder won't be returning to the Abbotsford Heat play-by-play booth – though something tells me he won't be a free agent for long, as Pinder's very talented and has been great in his fill-in role on the Fan lately. However, the Heat have found another up-and-comer to fill Pinder's shoes in Brandon Astle. Formerly of the BCHL's Langley Rivermen, Astle will call every Heat game this year on a yet-to-be-announced radio platform (and also handle PR duties). Kent and I will begin sending him poorly-worded requests for farm team info shortly.

THE GOAL SONG

The Flames finally abandoned Duck Sauce's “Barbra Streisand” as their goal song. Thank goodness. Now if they bring back “Shot Down In Flames,” we may have something to be happy about. As much as I hate over-playing classic rock in arenas, that AC/DC track was the best of all possible goal songs for this team.

Feel free to add your preference in the comments.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

Mitch Wahl signed with EC Salzburg in Austria last week. He's yet another farm team player to find a gig in Europe, presumably because he couldn't garner much NHL interest. Since the season ended, Danny Taylor (Farjestad), Ben Walter (Orebro), Dustin Sylvester (Vienna) and Barry Brust (Zagreb) have found European employment. Leland Irving hasn't solidified a gig for next year, European or otherwise. That's a huge surprise given his rough season last year, frankly.

Tyler Ruegsegger, who I had hoped would sign an AHL deal with the Heat, instead signed with the Hershey Bears. He had 18 points in 67 games in a depth role last year in Abbotsford and looked pretty good in the games I saw.

Needless to say, the Heat will be a very different, very young team in 2013-14.

CAMPS GRADUALLY BEGIN

Things are starting to get rolling for junior teams, as the KHL has begun training camps and pre-season tournaments. I haven't heard much regarding Rushan Rafikov, except I've been given the impression that he'll be headed back to the junior league (MHL) and the Loco Yaroslavl club due to Yaroslavl Lokomotiv having too many established defensemen already on their roster.

Training camps have already begun in the QMJHL, while things start to get going in the OHL and WHL in the next seven-to-ten days. After that, Flames rookie camp opens on September 3, with the young stars rookie tournament slated to go form September 5 - 9.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
#1 Kypreos
August 18 2013, 01:54PM

Burn it to the ground!

Nickelback

Works well with the rebuild we are going through....

#2 Kurt
August 18 2013, 09:54AM
BurningSensation wrote:

For the pure irony, how about 'Sabotage' by the Beastie Boys?

How bout "Loser" by Beck....

I'm a loser baby.... so why don't you kill me.

#3 Kypreos
August 17 2013, 02:06PM

If I was to copy another NHL team.

Chicago is the best by far.

When you are there, you actually can't wait for them to score to hear that song.

#4 danglesnipelly
August 17 2013, 10:57AM

The chorus from "Fire" - Kasabian

#5 Baalzamon
August 18 2013, 10:27AM

@bookofloob

I'm definitely on board with "No country". There's no need for us to pander to stereotypes here.

Also, I can't think of any reason why any country song would make a good goal song. (Disclaimer: I am NOT saying that no country songs are good. I am saying that they're pretty much the worst genre to play for eighteen seconds after a goal).

#6 funkyjaman
August 17 2013, 06:48PM

Goal song, Alice n Chains Been Caught Stealing. Check it out.

#7 BitGeek
August 17 2013, 10:51AM

#FlamesGoalSong

(I know this isn't twitter but it's hard to get out of the habit of using hashtags - i've mistakenly used them in email too - doh!)

Papa Roach - Burn http://youtu.be/MiiiI5WgbdU start at 0:43

#8 Peekin Saprykin
August 17 2013, 01:09PM

I'm thinking the chorus of Gasoline by Audioslave would be a decent, high energy choice that would be significantly manlier than Barbara Streisand. The song, not the actress. She seems kinda man-ish.

#9 BurningSensation
August 18 2013, 09:19AM

For the pure irony, how about 'Sabotage' by the Beastie Boys?

#10 Pete
August 17 2013, 02:20PM

Here's a couple of songs I´d like to hear watching games:

Or maybe something from Nightwish? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVNtnOFdP4Y

Feel free to disagree.

#11 bookofloob
August 18 2013, 08:42AM

Matters of personal taste and preference are a very debilitating barrier to fan voting on the new goal song. As an example, I've hated most of the options you've all listed here (as I'm sure you'd hate mine). We get too bogged down with themes of flames, fire, heat, burning, etc...it doesn't have to be that way. The most well known goal song in the league is Chelsea Dagger. That song has absolutely nothing to do with the Blackhawks, but that's exactly what you think of if you ever hear it.

Maybe the Flames should consider a contest where musically gifted Flames fans could pen their own goal song. Could be interesting. (No country)

#12 jeremywilhelm
August 18 2013, 11:30AM

The "Light em up" potion of the new Fall Out Boy song.

Not the greatest song but that part gets me fired up.

#13 Kmp
August 18 2013, 04:09PM

Some like it hot-Powerstation

#14 Rockmorton65
August 17 2013, 11:45AM

Joe Satriani's "Crowd Chant"?

#15 febreze
August 17 2013, 03:09PM

Goal Song:

'Nub' by The Jesus Lizard would wail.

or if you want something by a Canadian band go for the chorus of 'Crusades' by F*cked Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF9HOzCaZZI (starting at 1:15 into the song)

'Get It On' by Turbonegro would be perfect!

Hey Pete, your songs would be better suited for the end credits to a sequel for the film Kickboxer...lol

#16 bookofloob
August 18 2013, 08:45AM

(also, beloch's suggestion is a clear winner too)

#17 redricardo
August 18 2013, 12:36PM

A buddy of mine (from Saskatchewan... I know) suggested "Feeling Good" by the Sheepdogs. I laughed at him and made the obligatory "Feeling Good? It's gonna be a rough year! Most fans are going to be feeling wildly mediocre!"

But then as I couldn't get that chorus out of my head last night, I was wondering if he was on to something.

#18 Tenbrucelees
August 18 2013, 03:44PM

'Too drunk to f#ck' by the Dead Kennedys

#19 Word
August 18 2013, 07:02PM

I'm an Oiler fan so it pains me to make a suggestion other than Sharon Lois and Bram, but "Robbin Banks (Doin' Time)" by the Slew would be an unreal choice (also it would be a good intro song).

It's got electic guitar, record scratching, western sounding gun shots at the start and a mother truckin' cowbell.

Plus Kid Koala's participation gives it a Canadian connection.

#20 Scoring_guru
August 18 2013, 09:07PM

Did I miss the announcement that Mike Rogers was retiring on this site? I thought this website was about the Calgary Flames?

#21 RexLibris
August 18 2013, 09:33PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Given the number of "trashes" I've accumulated on this topic, apparently there IS a need for us to pander to stereotypes.

I'd second your "no country" suggestion in a heartbeat, but I don't actually have to listen to the goal song and any trashes I get are probably unrelated to my opinion on this topic, so I'm not sure I'm much help.

#22 Baalzamon
August 17 2013, 12:49PM

The interesting thing about Rafikov is he actually led Loko in defensive scoring last year. Apparently 10 points in 53 games is very prolific for a defender.

Why did they ever get rid of Shot Down in Flames? And for Duck Sauce?

I remember hearing that same Duck Sauce song in another rink last season. Not as the goal song... I think it was before a faceoff after either an icing or the goalie freezing the puck.

#23 McRib
August 17 2013, 02:39PM

@Kypreos

No way!!! You can't take the most recognizable goal song in the entire NHL and use it for yourself!!! Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis is Chicagos!! That would be like another MLB Closer taking Enter the Sandman from Mariano Rivera we would become the laughing stock of the league.

#24 Pete
August 17 2013, 03:25PM
febreze wrote:

Goal Song:

'Nub' by The Jesus Lizard would wail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF9HOzCaZZI (starting at 1:15 into the song)

'Get It On' by Turbonegro would be perfect!

That maybe. Couldn't help myself.

Had to put something up because the contest in Flames web pages is "Canada only".

Thanks for the intellectual honesty. ;)

#25 beloch
August 17 2013, 03:28PM

Fire isn't the only theme that suits Calgary. A western theme does too, and there's western music out there that isn't country.

Why not some classic Ennio Morricone tracks? Anything from "The Big Gundown" to the theme from "A few dollars more" would be instantly recognizable. Not only do these tracks have a lot of energy and huge mass appeal, they're iconic and instantly bring to mind images of pure badassery, both from the original westerns and when Tarantino reuses them.

I like AC/DC, but if I try to think of a mental image associated with their music the first thing that comes to mind is Brian Johnson in that stupid hat. The second is Robocop 2. Meh.

#26 BurningSensation
August 17 2013, 05:45PM

@beloch

Morricone for the win!

#27 KetchupKid
August 18 2013, 03:36AM

@beloch

Some Western filmscore stuff would be awesome. Good call.

#28 febreze
August 18 2013, 03:59AM

I'm with the Western film score!

#29 Sheldon
August 18 2013, 10:38PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_fEv-fGoJg the goal song should be something like this. Simple so all can sing along and high energy.

#30 McRib
August 17 2013, 02:35PM

I would suggest a song by Clutch (Electric Worry), but the damn Vancouver Canucks beat us to it. How do such bandwagon fans have such a good goal song!!!!

Anything that isn't a Euro House Top. 40 One Hit Wonder will be better than Duck Sauce. I would suggest Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden, but I don't think its politically correct. Haha

#31 suba steve
August 17 2013, 03:06PM

If we're gonna "become the laughing stock of the league" next year, I really don't think it will be for the organization's selection of a goal song.

#32 Flamesbrain
August 17 2013, 07:08PM

@funkyjaman

@FunkyJaman

Do you not mean Jane's Addiction?

#33 beloch
August 17 2013, 11:49PM
BurningSensation wrote:

Morricone for the win!

Damn... I just fired up the ol' hifi with a CD of Morricone's greatest movie tracks. There is power in this music! Great power! This stuff doesn't just make you want to nod your head, it makes you want to stand tall and gun down the unjust! A team that harnesses this music would play with an edge!

#34 Baalzamon
August 18 2013, 07:17PM
Baalzamon wrote:

#35 Baalzamon
August 18 2013, 10:10PM

@RexLibris

Well, I appreciate the moral support, anyway.

#36 beloch
August 18 2013, 10:25PM

I am in, in general, not a fan of country music, but there are some songs that work. I have no problem with Ring of Fire as the victory song for example. I'm therefore against a blanket country-ban.

I'm absolutely *for* banning Nickelback though. Isn't it past time we sent those guys down to Vegas permanently? They can open for Celine.

#37 funkyjaman
August 18 2013, 11:24PM
Flamesbrain wrote:

@FunkyJaman

Do you not mean Jane's Addiction?

Yes I do. Janes Addiction, Been Caught Stealing. Not Alice in Chains. Thanks for correcting that. Big brain fart on that one.

#38 Trianglereverie
August 20 2013, 09:06PM

I agree with Loob.

Too many get caught up in the "Flames" theme. Frankly. Every song that has to do with "Flames" just doesn't cut it for a goal song unless you're specifically a fan of that genre of music. I've always felt like listening to AC/DC was like listening to a dude get a colonoscopy. What I am trying to say here is it's not very global friendly. The song should be something universal that if you're not a metal fan or not a country fan you can still appreciate the goal song. That's what the Fratellis song brings to the table.

And again Loobs point about Chelsea Dagger is that it's synonymous with the Blackhawks and annoys the HE-Double Hockey sticks- out of every non Blackhawk fan.

Which is why I propose something like: "Unstoppable by Foxy Shazam." It's universal it has a sports theme to it. It would get annoyingly obnoxious to opposing fans if they got scored on a lot playing at the Dome (here's to dreaming). And yet it's the kind of song that can be a fan favourite in the city because it's likeable enough.

On the other note: You know Rob Kerr would make a better radio play by play guy. They should move him into the booth with Maher and hire someone else for TV play by play. Here's to hoping.

#39 Trianglereverie
August 20 2013, 09:10PM
Trianglereverie wrote:

I agree with Loob.

and by Radio Play By Play I meant to say Colour Commentator. Obviously not have him take over for MAher. Oops.