Fla...err Heat Sign Bancks and Begin

August 28 2013 12:48PM

AHL Hockey: Apr 20 Barons vs Heat
- pic via the OKC Barons

The Calgary Flames organization tied up the last two off-season loose-ends today, inking both Carter Bancks and Steve Begin to one-year AHL deals. The fact that these aren't NHL contract clarifies the delay in signing both players - clearly the org wanted to keep both guys around but didn't want to commit any NHL contract space to either of them, while I assume the players were pressing for more.

It's the right move for the Flames in both cases. Bancks was extremely popular with Jim Playfair when the latter was coaching the the farm team, but the truth is the 24 year old doesn't have an NHL ceiling despite his high compete level and tenacity.

It also makes sense not to burn a roster spot on 35 year old grinder Begin, who nevertheless played as well as could be expected for a career 4th liner coming off a stint in Europe last season. That said, he's not going to get any better and the roster spot is better left to younger men with higher potential.

Begin will, of course, be unfairly maligned by some (me) as the guy who cost the Flames a chance at drafting Seth Jones because of his GWG versus the Red Wings down the stretch. Also, screw you, Jimmy Howard.

#1 Veggie Dog
August 28 2013, 01:05PM

This used to chap my hide too, but water under the bridge now. I can't hate Begin forever, and hopefully Monahan erases all this.

#2 schevvy
August 28 2013, 12:55PM

What the hell Jimmy Howard. Also, screw you Detroit. Flames went 3-0 vs Detroit last year. Could've had MacKinnon or Barkov

#4 KetchupKid
August 28 2013, 02:58PM

Has everyone seen the outtakes from the Team USA photo shoot? Howard just might win you over in spite of his past transgressions...

#5 Captain Ron
August 28 2013, 01:37PM

Yeah Howard screw you. Never taking you in my pool again you loser.

3 and 0 against the Wings last year. Go figure. One way or the other they always seem to be a pain in the ass for the Flames. Damn I hate that team.

#6 BurningSensation
August 28 2013, 03:16PM
KetchupKid wrote:

That was freakin' HYSTERICAL

#7 Captain Ron
August 28 2013, 04:39PM
KetchupKid wrote:

Hilarious! Thanks for putting this out there!

#8 Michael
August 28 2013, 02:37PM

@Kent Wilson

Begin = -(Jones) - Howard -Begin = Jones + Howard abs(-Begin) = abs(Jones + Howard) Begin = Jones + Howard

... I guess

#9 Baalzamon
August 28 2013, 02:58PM

Didn't the Flames send Bancks a qualifying offer once upon a time? (I guess this is only relevant if a qualifying offer has to be an NHL contract). Guess they changed their minds pretty quick.

Still, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't go for my Bancks for Stepan trade offer.

I was so sure that would work...

#10 The Last Big Bear
August 28 2013, 03:34PM

Well, Begin sure proved me wrong last season. Fair play.

That said, I never want to see him anywhere near a Flames jersey ever again.

Carted Bancks is a great player to have on the Heat. Can't see how he'll ever make a mark in the NHL, but its not like he's taking a roster spot away from one of our many blue-chip prospects in the AHL.

#11 coachedpotatoe
August 28 2013, 05:47PM

Bancks signing--- yawn.

Begin signing--- YAWN.

I get they want some character guys down in Abbie but this really does not amount to a hill of beans. Much ado about nothing, kinda of like the McGrattan signing.

August 28 2013, 07:38PM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

Bancks signing--- yawn.

Begin signing--- YAWN.

I find it less yawnworthy than McGrattan, just because Begin is actually NHL calibre (somewhat), so he'll provide a boost to the young guys in the AHL. It's a peripheral thing, and it's no Jokinen trade, but it'll do for a summer hockey story.

#13 RustyStrombone
August 29 2013, 08:52AM

@KetchupKid

Had a good laugh at that the other day. Best pic IMO is Phil Kessel. I'm not 100% that guy even plays hockey. Pretty sure the real Kessel just has "hockeyyinsiderrrr" pose for his pics.

#14 RickT
August 29 2013, 02:22PM

Didn't Begin tell the Flames he'd 'think about it' earlier this off season?

Leads me to wonder if the original deal was AHL-level, or if he bungled up playing in the Big Show by saying it.