Flames Fan Ask - September 17th, 2013

Justin Azevedo
September 17 2013 09:26AM

 

 

More of your questions answered in this week's edition of the mailbag after the jump.

Q. Does Monahan make the team this year?

We took a look at Monahan's NHL comps earlier this year and while that article might persuade you to think that he should be in the NHL, I'm not sure it's so simple.

As a result, I'm going to say no, for two reasons: first, I don't think the Flames organization is dumb enough to waste the first year of his ELC on this team. Having that one extra year is worth a heck of a lot more than some people realize - it's not just that a cheap RFA year is used, it's that the player is one more year away from arbitration rights and one more year away from UFA.

The second reason is that I just don't think he's going to be so good in a 3C role that the Flames are forced to keep him. Don't get me wrong, I think he can play in the NHL right now but it's better for him to put up 2PPG in the OHL than play 7:45 a game on the 4th line and it's better for the Flames because his contract slides with him in the OHL.

Besides, the team isn't going to be a playoff team this year; smart asset management is what gets you to the playoffs and onwards.

Q. Who has better hair - Ramo or Monahan?

I'm going to go Ramo, but this is closer than one thinks. Monahan's hair is shorter, but it flows in the wind-swept way mine does. Ramo has the flow, though, and even though it's mostly contained underneath his mask you can tell it bounces like good hockey flow should. Also, Ramo gets the edge for being Nordic and thus being genetically predisposed to having great flow.

If we're talking best flow on the team, I think Backlund, Horak (at least last year) and Russell have to be in the conversation. Backlund, to me, has the flowiest flow out there so he takes it.

Q. Is this cereal as delicious as I think it is?

Likely, yes. All cereal (even healthy cereal) is delicious, but some brands stand out from the pack.

JUSTIN'S TOP 5:

  1. Frosted Flakes - this is the cereal. In recent years, they've toned down the sugar to non-diabetic levels and the overall taste has improved. The off-brand Frosted Flakes you find at Safeway might be the best of them all, as they have just enough sugar to make an impression but not too much that it makes the milk undrinkable.
  2. Shreddies - high fibre content and they're consistently crunchy in the right way. They also take a long time to go mushy, which is important because often I am called to more important business while eating my cereal. Some times, I come back to find my delicious bowl of awesome soggy as all hell.
  3. Mini-Wheats - see above. More fibre, more sugar, although it balances out. Can sometimes be a bit dry when you're eating them, which is a huge negative.
  4. Fruit Loops - delicious, lower sugar content, different flavours and the colour is fantastic. However, this cereal gets downgraded a significant amount because every damn time I eat it I cut the top of my mouth about 50 times. I'm pretty sure they just add sugar glass to it.
  5. Honey Nut Cheerios - this is the old reliable of cereals. The five above are great but I wouldn't be able to eat them for 7 days straight. Honey Nut Cheerios have staying power - enough to make me shovel them into my mouth for breakfast whenever I want.

Hard-hitting analysis, there.

Q. How great was the black horse head jersey?

I loved it. It was symmetrical (I hate, hate, hate asymmetrical things), black (the best colour for a jersey), had fire (fire!) and as much as people love to tone down the Western heritage of this city, the Horse is something that's been used as a symbol (along with the Buffalo) of Calgary's strength for a hundred damn years.

If they want to bring it back that would be pretty super. Also, the flags on the current jerseys are stupid and ugly and I can't wait until we see more of the Heritage Classic colours.

Q. How or why did Lambert become a Flames fan?

I assume because he, like all of us, had a desire to hate himself for his choices in life. Perhaps he can tell us in the comments.

Q. Thumbs up or thumbs down for Hartley?

Because there are only the two possibilities, I'll go with thumbs up. I think there are about 8-10 coaches in the NHL who are above and beyond everyone else. Then there's 20 guys who are "replacement" level (i.e. quite interchangeable), and then there's Randy Carlyle.

I don't think Bob Hartley is in that top tier of coaches that actually have a demonstrable affect on the game, and he's probably not Randy Carlyle (but who knows, right? I mean, science), so that leaves us with the middle tier. The reason I advocated for Brent Sutter to go was because of his player deployment with respects to the opposition players on the ice and starting zone. Hartley has seemed to improve on that, so that's why he gets the plus. He's average in pretty much every other respect, though.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Q. Best non-Pocket Dawg concession item?

Damn, son. That's a tough one. The pulled pork sammies from the grill are pretty good, as are the burgers. However, I gotta go with the malt. Twist style for lyfe.

Generally, when I go to games, the concession schedule goes like this:

  • PREGAME: beer, beer, maybe some other booze
  • 1st INTERMISSION: burger/wings/pulled pork/pizza, beer
  • 2nd INTERMISSION: twist malt, beer

Following this schedule will get you just drunk enough that you can still pay attention to the game but you won't feel the hollow despair the Flames usually force upon you.

If you are one of those people who doesn't eat or drink at the game, you're probably the worst.

Q. Not including Cammalleri, who would you say is most likely to be gone before the end of the season?

I doubt they trade any pending RFAs and I don't see there being a market at the trade deadline for Butler, Russell, Smith, MacDonald, Jackman, B. Jones or Street. I also doubt that Hudler, D. Jones and Wideman will be traded during the season - thus we are left with Stajan and Stempniak.

Stajan may not "fit" for a lot of teams at the deadline, but a cheap top-6 winger always does. I think all three of them (Stajan, Cammalleri, Stempniak) will get moved, though. They won't get 1st round picks, but stocking up on 2nds and using them to move up is a good way to do business.

If you have other questions or simply want to complain about my cereal choices, leave a comment.

A9d138d0e612f28cd46f9b7057ed715d
Justin is a 22-year-old Flames fan who also happens to be pursuing a double major at the University of Calgary. He has played hockey at high levels, enjoys wearing shorts and tends to drink far too much Grasshopper. Please don't hate him.
Avatar
#1 bookofloob
September 17 2013, 09:42AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
4
props

Ol' Blasty forever!

(That's the horse head, if you didn't know)

Avatar
#2 Demetric
September 17 2013, 09:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Hanowski's flow last season is the definite winner: http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297403712460_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Avatar
#3 hamburgler
September 17 2013, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Whoever our starting goalie may be; how patient is head office? Does, let's say Ramo get months of sucking, or weeks? This team isn't going to be good, and regardless of how good the goalie is he is likely to get lit up on a nightly basis.

Avatar
#4 Parallex
September 17 2013, 09:52AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props

I think Cammy might get a first back if he has a great year (which I think he may considering that with Iggy gone Cammy becomes the biggest scoring threat and thus will be the preferred guy to give the biscut to and will get an asstonne of power-play minutes) and if the Flames are willing to eat a significant portion of his salary/cap hit (which they may have to do anyways just to reach the floor).

Not for sure... I wouldn't bet the farm on it but I could see some team doing it. As for Stajan... anytime a Center goes down to injury league wide I hope Feaster is on the phone 5 seconds after. He'll be the hardest sell of the three.

Avatar
#5 Parallex
September 17 2013, 09:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Double-Post

Avatar
#6 Rockmorton65
September 17 2013, 09:55AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
0
props

Does anyone know when the first round of cuts will be?

Avatar
#7 Parallex
September 17 2013, 09:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
hamburgler wrote:

Whoever our starting goalie may be; how patient is head office? Does, let's say Ramo get months of sucking, or weeks? This team isn't going to be good, and regardless of how good the goalie is he is likely to get lit up on a nightly basis.

Well one would hope that they'd make the determination based off of SV% and not GAA or Goalie Wins. So the amount of times the light goes off behind him will be placed in proper context.

Avatar
#8 Baalzamon
September 17 2013, 09:56AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
3
props

Totally agree with you about Honey Nut Cheerios. I've been eating that practically every day for about eighteen years.

It's amazing how polarizing the Horsehead jersey is. It seems like everyone either loves it or hates it. I might be the only person anywhere who's completely ambivalent about it.

Need to get rid of the shoulder flags though. I thought they were the stupidest thing ever the first time I saw them, and my opinion has not improved over time. They're an embarrassment.

Avatar
#9 Demetric
September 17 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Rockmorton65 wrote:

Does anyone know when the first round of cuts will be?

Hartley said after tonight's games there will be some cuts. Would have done some already but the schedule and injuries have not allowed

Avatar
#10 beloch
September 17 2013, 10:31AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
10
props

Just say no to flaming horse snot.

Avatar
#11 sathome
September 17 2013, 10:46AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props

I'm a fan of the Honey Nut Flavour Oatmeal Crisp, personally. Though sometimes it gets stuck in my beard.

Avatar
#12 the-wolf
September 17 2013, 10:51AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
+1
19
props

This whole Monahan debate is ridiculous. The guy is intended to be a top 2 center at the NHL level. Can he accomplish that this season? Highly doubtful. So unless he shows in 9 games that he can keep his head above water in all 3 zones, handle the physical and mental grind and look he can definitely put up a minimum of 40 points, send him down.

Monahan still needs to get stronger and faster and play tons of minutes in all situations. First pp & pk units, first/last minutes of each period, etc. That's where development comes from, not from being fed to the wolves at 18. The guy is not Crosby. Development comes from playing a lot in all situations, not 3rd line minutes and being sheltered against grown men.

"His mind." What a joke. Btw, I've known 2 extremely gifted academics in my time and both of them went to public schools and in both cases it didn't hold them back in any way whatsoever. You know, because they're brilliant. Instead, it allowed them to mature properly and not become self-entitled snots.

People are such hypocrites. I've read a thousand posts from the exact same people pining for Monahan to stay up this season who have launched a ton of vitriol at the Oilers for bringing up RNH and others too soon. Insult after insult about managing the cap and ELCs, but now that the shoe is on the other foot they go all fanboy.

And being a fanboy is the only argument for keeping Monahan up. Play him against his peers, let him dominate, build his confidence, gain experience on the international stage, get stronger, apply what he's learned over the summer, hopefully experience what it's like to be a winner instead of a loser on the Flames AND save a year on the ELC.

End of story.

Avatar
#13 the-wolf
September 17 2013, 10:51AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
+1
16
props

And the horse head sucks balls.

Avatar
#14 kittensandcookies
September 17 2013, 11:17AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
2
props
sathome wrote:

I'm a fan of the Honey Nut Flavour Oatmeal Crisp, personally. Though sometimes it gets stuck in my beard.

I like the almond ones. The vanilla almond though seems to be very popular so I usually end up with just the almond one. The kids don't seem to like the maple nut variety.

I've been having the Special K High Protein cereal, it's currently stuck in my colon due to the high fiber content.

Avatar
#15 ianberg1
September 17 2013, 12:01PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
7
props

The fiery C can be any color or combination of colors (even a rainbow scheme) and I'll always prefer it over the horsehead. Most fans agree, for every horsehead shirt, cap or jersey you see in the Saddledome during a game there's fifty fiery C shirts, caps and jerseys. The horsehead symbolizes the 7 year playoff drought before 2004. I like the sleeve flags but unfortunately they are now associated with the current playoff drought.

Avatar
#16 Clay
September 17 2013, 12:47PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
6
props

By far the best horse head jersey fact, if memory serves me correctly, is that the first Flame to ever wear it was Rico Fata, as it was unveiled at the 1998 draft. This moment went down in history, and will forever be seen as the moment the Flames late 90's/early millenium dynasty was set into motion.

Forever a Flame Rico. Young Guns forever.

Avatar
#17 Victoria Flames Fan
September 17 2013, 01:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props

I know it's kinda hippie-dippie, but I love Harvest Crunch granola. Anyone know the lineups tonight?

Avatar
#18 FireOnIce
September 17 2013, 01:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

Stemps, Cammy, and Matty Franchise are all in contract years. They're also somewhat older and this next contract is likely to be their last (unless they want to renegotiate every other year). They're also some of our 'better' veterans. I have a strong feeling that Hartley will give these guys every chance to perform well.

Combine that with their desire to get paid, and I think we see all 3 of them on the move at the deadline.

Avatar
#19 Parallex
September 17 2013, 01:21PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props
Victoria Flames Fan wrote:

I know it's kinda hippie-dippie, but I love Harvest Crunch granola. Anyone know the lineups tonight?

Harvest Crunch granola is awesome. Sweet without being sugery, nice and crunchy. Nothing wrong with Harvest Crunch granola.

Avatar
#20 RexLibris
September 17 2013, 01:30PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
5
props

@the-wolf

Coming out of the gate on fire today. I'm loving the passion.

Agree on Monahan. Closest comparison that comes to mind is Gagner (6th overall, center, bad team, etc). The Oilers kept him because he looked great in their lineup. The funny thing about that was that he looked great in their lineup because their lineup was horrendous.

Same with Monahan. Flames brass are going to see how talented and useful a player he is and think that he belongs because he's better than most of their other players. But that is because they are a bad team with a lot of bad players.

Best thing for him is to spend another year with the 67s.

Alas, the-wolf, in a different reality, I could have called you friend. ;)

Avatar
#21 Craig
September 17 2013, 01:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props

I DON'T LIKE CEREAL. I PREFER OATMEAL.

*starts riot* *regrets nothing*

Avatar
#22 kittensandcookies
September 17 2013, 01:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props

Oatmeal's good too. I usually reserve it for winter.

Avatar
#23 Clay
September 17 2013, 01:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Craig wrote:

I DON'T LIKE CEREAL. I PREFER OATMEAL.

*starts riot* *regrets nothing*

Clearly you prefer loneliness to friendship...

Avatar
#24 Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea
September 17 2013, 01:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
6
props

Great punchy analysis, except for the first and last questions - not sure why they would be on a Flames discussion site.

My all-time favourite cereal was Alphabets until I developed this stupid gluten issue. Non-gluten cereal really sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Except maybe Thomas Mulcair...can I say that?

Avatar
#25 SmellOfVictory
September 17 2013, 01:57PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
6
props
the-wolf wrote:

This whole Monahan debate is ridiculous. The guy is intended to be a top 2 center at the NHL level. Can he accomplish that this season? Highly doubtful. So unless he shows in 9 games that he can keep his head above water in all 3 zones, handle the physical and mental grind and look he can definitely put up a minimum of 40 points, send him down.

Monahan still needs to get stronger and faster and play tons of minutes in all situations. First pp & pk units, first/last minutes of each period, etc. That's where development comes from, not from being fed to the wolves at 18. The guy is not Crosby. Development comes from playing a lot in all situations, not 3rd line minutes and being sheltered against grown men.

"His mind." What a joke. Btw, I've known 2 extremely gifted academics in my time and both of them went to public schools and in both cases it didn't hold them back in any way whatsoever. You know, because they're brilliant. Instead, it allowed them to mature properly and not become self-entitled snots.

People are such hypocrites. I've read a thousand posts from the exact same people pining for Monahan to stay up this season who have launched a ton of vitriol at the Oilers for bringing up RNH and others too soon. Insult after insult about managing the cap and ELCs, but now that the shoe is on the other foot they go all fanboy.

And being a fanboy is the only argument for keeping Monahan up. Play him against his peers, let him dominate, build his confidence, gain experience on the international stage, get stronger, apply what he's learned over the summer, hopefully experience what it's like to be a winner instead of a loser on the Flames AND save a year on the ELC.

End of story.

I somewhat disagree in regard to "CHL is obviously as good a place for him as NHL". The best place for anyone to improve in any form is an environment that is as challenging as possible without being overwhelming. Too easy an environment, and stagnation (or decreased improvement) is possible; too difficult, and the person may simply not be able to function enough to improve, and it may even damage their functioning as they fail to adapt.

The thing with Monahan, and a lot of high (but not top) end prospects is that it's nearly impossible to tell, at least as a fan, whether the NHL or CHL is legitimately better for that person. I will say that, if he can handle the NHL without being overwhelmed, and he plays at least 3rd line minutes, it would probably be better for him than just whipping the crap out of a bunch of kids who are substantially below his abilities for 20+ minutes/night.

For the record, in terms of ELCs, I don't think cap should be managed around ELCs whatsoever. Cap management comes by not signing stupid contracts, and by trying to entice players to sign at a discount, or signing players who are good but do not have the leverage to get large contracts.

Avatar
#26 Dr. Philosophy
September 17 2013, 02:02PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
17
props

Anyone know a website offering preseason analysis of the Flames?

Avatar
#27 DoubleDIon
September 17 2013, 02:23PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
6
props

I like the shoulder patches. Most just because it annoys Oiler fans, not because they look good or anything.

Avatar
#28 Pizzaman
September 17 2013, 03:27PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
+1
0
props

Q. Not including Cammalleri, who would you say is most likely to be gone before the end of the season?

Feaster

Avatar
#29 TRAV
September 17 2013, 03:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
5
props

Predictions on Tuesday/ Wednesday roster moves? There really should be a pool or something. Two points for every correct member listed and subtract one for every mistake. (guy not sent down in round one/ or something like that...) Everything is better with gambling :)

Avatar
#30 The Otter
September 17 2013, 03:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

My favorite cereal growing up was Apple Jacks, now it is Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds.

Avatar
#31 RexLibris
September 17 2013, 03:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

You people clearly know nothing about breakfast cereals.

This is the best cereal in the galaxy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFlOZSPiktw

Avatar
#32 T&A4Flames
September 17 2013, 05:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Kent, or any of the Nations knowledgable members/writers, since we are at a point now where teams are cutting down their rostes, are there some possible names we should maybe keep our eyes open for in terms of waivers for the purpose of being sent down to the minors? Players that may be good pick ups for us?

Avatar
#33 T&A4Flames
September 17 2013, 05:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Unhealthy cereal- Cinnamon toast crunch.

Healthy- Kashi toasted berry crisp.

Avatar
#34 c
September 17 2013, 06:10PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
6
props
Dr. Philosophy wrote:

Anyone know a website offering preseason analysis of the Flames?

Dear Dr; Sometimes this site talks about hockey, sometimes not. Have a great day,

Avatar
#35 piscera.infada
September 17 2013, 06:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@RexLibris

You'd think they'd have three 'o's, no?

Avatar
#36 Kmp
September 17 2013, 06:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Tonight game vs the Islanders being streamed on Flames site.

Avatar
#38 FireOnIce
September 17 2013, 07:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Any thoughts on who starts in goal on opening night? I haven't been too impressed with any one of our goalies, but it's hard to tell with all the kids vying for a roster spot.

Preseason is such a crap shoot. I remember a couple years ago when the Flames went like 8-0, and everyone was planning the parade route. I think that was when they were in last place by November.

Avatar
#39 FireOnIce
September 17 2013, 07:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Byron takes a dumb penalty 20 seconds into the game. Pretty sure he's getting sent down if he does that again.

Avatar
#40 FireOnIce
September 17 2013, 07:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Damn. Grabner beats Billins and scores in CGY. 1-0 NYI.

Avatar
#41 FireOnIce
September 17 2013, 07:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jackman looks like his roster spot isn't assured. Playing like a beast tonight.

Avatar
#42 Skuehler
September 17 2013, 07:26PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
3
props

Great points you discussed.

My two cents on the Monahan issue...I think of course he should be sent down. There is nothing he can accomplish here this year that would make a significant difference to the outcome of this season. We can afford to get a free agent if we have too to fill a position. The Flames sell out the building so they can't justify having him up here as a fan draw. The development potential for him as a player is greater in the CHL. I would think at least half a season in Abbotsford would be beneficial too, in order to learn the Flames systems and gradually adjust to the expectations and to play against men in a pro atmosphere.

However... It looks to me like there is a huge credibility and respect issue arising. If coach says publicly that it is the players who will decide who makes the team based on performance and merit, than if a guy busts his chops for three months and earns a spot on the team, but gets sent down for reasons such as ELC or political reasons, than that is wrong and players will lose respect for the organization.

Along those lines also is the comments by GM about ''organizational disease' regarding a pre-pre-season loss by a bunch of kids that weren't part of the organization until a few weeks prior. It seems like Feasted could've only been talking about Troy Ward or a very infectious mentality that comes with slipping on the jersey. There are also Feaster's comments about expecting to win this year and gun for a playoff spot. Combine these two comments to get a picture of some very high and likely unreasonable expectations for the team this year. If he was just blowing smoke than we have a credibility/trust issue within the org again. If he was serious, than is it wise to take such young and talented players and set them up to fail under so much instant pressure?

Avatar
#43 Prairie Chicken by-the-Sea
September 17 2013, 07:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
c wrote:

Dear Dr; Sometimes this site talks about hockey, sometimes not. Have a great day,

And, you missed a great opportunity to be the first to mention Count Chocula.

Avatar
#44 Baalzamon
September 17 2013, 07:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

Damn, Ramage looks great.

Avatar
#45 mk
September 17 2013, 07:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I'm mildly annoyed by the lack of play-by-play on the Flames feed, but I had the radio going for a while and it was synced almost perfectly. But not anymore. :(

Avatar
#46 Baalzamon
September 17 2013, 07:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

@Skuehler

"If he was just blowing smoke than we have a credibility/trust issue within the org again. If he was serious, than is it wise to take such young and talented players and set them up to fail under so much instant pressure?"

Yeah. That, or you're reading too much into it.

Avatar
#47 Kevin R
September 17 2013, 07:40PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
4
props
the-wolf wrote:

This whole Monahan debate is ridiculous. The guy is intended to be a top 2 center at the NHL level. Can he accomplish that this season? Highly doubtful. So unless he shows in 9 games that he can keep his head above water in all 3 zones, handle the physical and mental grind and look he can definitely put up a minimum of 40 points, send him down.

Monahan still needs to get stronger and faster and play tons of minutes in all situations. First pp & pk units, first/last minutes of each period, etc. That's where development comes from, not from being fed to the wolves at 18. The guy is not Crosby. Development comes from playing a lot in all situations, not 3rd line minutes and being sheltered against grown men.

"His mind." What a joke. Btw, I've known 2 extremely gifted academics in my time and both of them went to public schools and in both cases it didn't hold them back in any way whatsoever. You know, because they're brilliant. Instead, it allowed them to mature properly and not become self-entitled snots.

People are such hypocrites. I've read a thousand posts from the exact same people pining for Monahan to stay up this season who have launched a ton of vitriol at the Oilers for bringing up RNH and others too soon. Insult after insult about managing the cap and ELCs, but now that the shoe is on the other foot they go all fanboy.

And being a fanboy is the only argument for keeping Monahan up. Play him against his peers, let him dominate, build his confidence, gain experience on the international stage, get stronger, apply what he's learned over the summer, hopefully experience what it's like to be a winner instead of a loser on the Flames AND save a year on the ELC.

End of story.

Dont totally agree that CHL is best for Monahan as well. Abbey would be perfect but sigh.... not possible. I'll say it again, if he is playing well, getting points & one of our better forwards, he stays. Worst case, if he plateaus come December, I think the Flames can still lend him to the World Jr team & then take him back in January. I could be wrong on that. Could care less about ELC's at this point. If he plays well, let him play pro. Comparing Gagner to Monahan is wrong, these are two different players. By the way, Gagner isnt that half bad of a player. The other thing, the year Gagner was drafted, Monahan may have been a top 3 pick. To me, he has 9 regular season games to stand out & show he is one of our better forwards or send him back to the CHL at that point. Either way, I am thrilled he is a Calgary Flame!!

Avatar
#48 FireOnIce
September 17 2013, 07:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Carkner is such a goon. I really hope he doesn't injure one of our players tonight. He's definitely the type that would do that so he could make an impression on NYI's management.

Avatar
#49 Ripped
September 17 2013, 07:43PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
3
props
Dr. Philosophy wrote:

Anyone know a website offering preseason analysis of the Flames?

I am an expert. Here it is.The Flames have excellent youth and skill but will waste two roster spots on little talent Jackwoman and ZERO talent McGREATan!!! Lets GOON it up and finish last BOYS!!! rah rah rah...........

Avatar
#50 Tootsie
September 17 2013, 07:52PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
+1
1
props
FireOnIce wrote:

Carkner is such a goon. I really hope he doesn't injure one of our players tonight. He's definitely the type that would do that so he could make an impression on NYI's management.

He could also beat the $hit out of McGREATAN but McFats will avoid him because he is a legitimate tough guy unlike Sdao!

Comments are closed for this article.