FGD: The (Prospect) Battle of Alberta

Ryan Pike
September 05 2013 02:44PM

Hockey's back, in the form of the Battle of Alberta from Penticton's YoungStars Tournament! The puck drops at 5pm MT and can be experienced via webcast from the Flames website.

Can the Flames start off the prospects tournament on a winning note against the team their kids have (hopefully) been conditioned to hate the most? We can only hope.

THE LINE-UP

Via our pals at the Flames site, here's the prospective line-up (presented in no particular order):

• Andy Taranto – Max Reinhart – Josh Jooris
  • Michael Ferland – Markus Granlund – Ben Hanowski
  • Turner Elson – Sean Monahan – Emile Poirier
  • Sven Baertschi – Corban Knight – Coda Gordon
  • Keegan Kanzig – Tyler Wotherspoon
  • Ryan Culkin – John Ramage
  • Patrick Sieloff – Brett Kulak

Laurent Brossoit gets the start in net, with Joni Ortio backing him up. On the roster but scratched are blueliners Eric Roy and Zach Davies and forwards Dylan Smoskowitz and Linden Penner. Ryan Howse (suspended) and Morgan Klimchuk (injury) obviously aren't gonna play.

The Elson-Monahan-Poirier line should be fun to watch, as should the Sven-Knight-Gordon line. And I have to admit, that defensive group seems pretty solid. But the Reinhart and Granlund lines seem a bit odd. That said, it's impossible to know just how long these combos will stick together.

THE OPPOSITION

The prospective Baby Oilers are fielding these lines, as per the Flames site.

• Kale Kessy – Andrew Miller – Marco Roy
  • Austin Fyten – Jujhar Khaira – Greg Chase
  • Jackson Houck – Travis Ewanyk – Cameron Abney
  • Brandon Baddock – Chase Schaber – Ty Bilke
  • Oscar Klefbom – Darnell Nurse
  • Ben Betker – Martin Marincin
  • Martin Gernat – David Musil
  • Tyler Bunz

Lots of connections with Flames kids here. Jackson Houck and David Musil are current and former teammates of Brett Kulak on the Vancouver Giants. Several of the Oilers here (Travis Ewanyk, Mitch Moroz, Martin Gernat, David Musil, and Brandon Baddock) also played with Laurent Brossoit on the Oil Kings.

That top D pairing is very good, while the forwards are a bit of a dog's breakfast. That said, Tyler Bunz was an excellent WHL goaltender who had a disappointing first pro year, spending the majority of it with ECHL Stockton and generally not doing great. He'll be hard-pressed to have a strong showing here to create some momentum for himself in his sophomore pro campaign.

SUM IT UP

The world may seem all topsy-turvy with Brian Burke being part of the Flames organization, but like a cozy blanket, hockey is back to snuggle us all back to sanity. And better yet, it's the Battle of Alberta – albeit with the Oilers depth players against the not-quite-Flames.

You have to start somewhere, I guess.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
#1 beloch
September 05 2013, 11:39PM

@Primo

So, Poirier was invisible, except when he was scoring, and you came to a thread about a Flames-Oilers prospect game to say that your two favorite prospects of the night were both Canucks who played in a completely different game? All-righty then.

#2 insvenwetrust
September 06 2013, 01:41AM

shinkaruk was amazing if we were judging a snow angel contest because he spent most of his time laying on the ice

#3 jeremywilhelm
September 06 2013, 12:22AM

@Primo

Poirier was in invisible? Lulz.

#4 insvenwetrust
September 06 2013, 01:16AM

i was at both games and the player that stood out was granlund

#5 insvenwetrust
September 06 2013, 01:45AM

The oilers don't need a Nurse...they need a doctor.. cuz they are hurtin..

#6 BurningSensation
September 05 2013, 07:01PM

Observations so far:

Keegan Kanzig looks like he might be a real player, and not just a nuclear deterrent. If he can actually play a meaningful role in our top 6 D, you have to look at his going in the 3rd rnd as a pure home-run.

Markus Granlund is likely to make the Flames based on what I've seen so far. The kid has skills. He also looks to me like a guy who maxes out as a 2nd liner.

Poirier and Monahan could be assisting on each others scores for a long, long time.

I thought Tyler Bunz was a legit goaltending prospect for the Oilers. I was wrong.

Neither Gernat nor Marincin look ready to step up, but both have flashes of talent that make you think they could develop into something interesting.

Nurse. Wow. I thought he might have growing pains, but did anyone predict he would be noticeably worse than Kanzig? I wouldn't have believed you until I saw it myself.

#7 FireOnIce
September 06 2013, 12:50AM
Todd wrote:

Hopefully Flames fans enjoyed this meaningless prospect exhibition game, cause it might be the highlight of their entire season.

I'm not going to shed one tear this year after the ridicule they've hurled our way for 4 years and I truly hope Burke runs your team into the sewer you belong in (but hopefully stay good enough to continue to miss out on drafting true impact players). Enjoy the rebuild Flamers.

YES. Welcome back Todd. Your trolling has been sorely missed. Some may try, but they fail miserably.

Now, what ridicule has been hurled over the last 4 years? I've hurled all sorts of ridicule at the Canucks for WAY longer than 4 years. Ditto for the Oilers and Leafs. What changed in the last 4 years? We've always hated your team. Get over it.

In regards to Flames fan getting all uppity because of one game, let's not forget the snobbery of Canucks and Oilers fans regarding their prospects.

*Ahem*

"OMG, HODGSON AND SHIROKOV! FL4MERS FANS SUXX0RS!! HAHA!"

or

"HAI GUYZ, WE GOT TAYLOR HALL AND RNH, WE'LL BE AWESOME ONE OF THEEZ DAYS"

Troll on, you crazy diamond.

#8 Baalzamon
September 05 2013, 06:42PM

Poirier to Monahan. Hope to see lots more of that over the years.

#9 MessyEH
September 06 2013, 03:05AM
FireOnIce wrote:

*Ahem*

"OMG, HODGSON AND SHIROKOV! FL4MERS FANS SUXX0RS!! HAHA!"

or

"HAI GUYZ, WE GOT TAYLOR HALL AND RNH, WE'LL BE AWESOME ONE OF THEEZ DAYS"

Troll on, you crazy diamond.

You forgot Eberle, Yakapov,and Justin Schultz.

#10 jeremywilhelm
September 05 2013, 06:24PM

Flames feeling bad for a very brutal Oilers team. Score on themselves.

#11 Todd
September 06 2013, 12:39AM

#12 Tony
September 05 2013, 05:34PM
BurningSensation wrote:

@#$#%^

Oh well. Please let us poor Apple users know if Keegan Kanzig liberates an Oiler from his senses.

You can download the Oilers tablet app and watch the stream there. It works, I'm using it now.

Then of course delete it, and scrub your iPad with holy water to get rid of the stench.

#13 They're $hittie
September 05 2013, 06:39PM

Monohan looks like a great two way center. He is going to be a great third line center in the NHL.

#14 JayD54
September 05 2013, 08:30PM

Witnessed the game between the Flames and Oilers kids this afternoon.

The three Flames youngsters that, to me, stood out were Granlund and Elson up front and John Ramage on the blueline. Brossoit was rarely tested, but did stop one breakaway by one of the three best Oiler youngsters, Marco Roy (he`s fast). The others that stood out were Jujhar Khaira (not afraid of traffic) and Martin Gernat (the best D).

I indicated in the post I made before the game that I thought the calm demeanor of Ramage put him in good stead. He demonstrated that in this game, in my opinion, along with being solid and determined in his own end. A couple of other, non-performance related items spoke to me for his leadership qualities. He was always speaking (not yelling) to the officials, picked the puck up and passed it to them more than once. And when Ryan Culkin swooped the puck into his own net, it was Ramage that went to him to provide encouragement.

Granlund was excellent in the faceoff circle and showed solid awareness in the offensive end. The goal that he scored off the great effort by Michael Ferland showed excellent finish.

Turner Elson finished checks, was the buzz saw kind of player every time he was on the ice. And he saw every type of situation. Hes not big, nor is he the best skater, but he is definitely someone you want on your team. Figure that he will be a valuable member of the Heat for at least this season, perhaps earning a look see if the Flames in the final few games of the season.

Honorable mention has to be given to Max Reinhart. He was playing with Jooris and Taranto, won a lot of face offs and was in great position in both ends of the ice. Sven did okay, was in good position but appeared rusty finish wise. Corban Knight and Sean Monahan were good in a game where the team dominated the opposition. Knights wingers, Coda Gordon and Sven, need to learn quickly that they best go to the front of the net as #10 got the puck there frequently. Monahan was teamed with Poirier and Elson and showed flashes of smooth skating and solid decision making in both ends.

As for the Oilers, its been said that their up and comers are best on the back end. In this game and acknowledging its the first competition of the fall, it certainly did not show. Darnell Nurse played quite a bit. I would suggest he needs to bulk up strength-wise as he was outmuscled both along the wall and in front.

In summary, I thought that the Flames kids were full measure for the win. As well, if they perform like this in their next games here, the organization will have served notice and there is solid inventory in the proverbial prospect cupboard.

I am disappointed that I have to leave this beautiful part of the world without witnessing the balance of the tournament, but am headed back from vacation looking forward to main camp, the pre-season and the competition for jobs there.

#15 FireOnIce
September 06 2013, 12:40AM

@beloch

I think Primo's point was that Shinkaruk (who the Flames passed up in favour of Poirier) was the better player tonight.

Poirier either scored twice, or scored once and assisted on a Monahan goal. Either way, if you watched the feed, Poirier's name came up a bunch for his play. In a positive light. So, Primo, I don't agree with you at all.

Didn't bother to watch the Canucks game. I would hope Bo Horvat stands out as one of the best players, considering the Canucks traded their (arguably) #1 goalie for him. Good for them. Shinkaruk got passed on for reasons other than his goal scoring (that's not in doubt) - maybe he's a coke-addicted d-bag?

#16 RexLibris
September 05 2013, 06:32PM
BurningSensation wrote:

So the answer to the question 'how do I stream the game live on my iPad' is;

$4.99 for the 'Photon' browser app.

So far so good, I got to see the Flames score on themselves! Whoo-hoo! Ugh.

Paying $5 rather than downloading Oilers' software. Stick to your principles.

;-)

#17 schevvy
September 05 2013, 07:06PM
RexLibris wrote:

Plan the parade now, eh schevvy?

;-)

Absolutely. Screw rebuild this year, this is a Cup contender

#18 jeremywilhelm
September 05 2013, 05:57PM

Darnell Nurse looks comically bad.

#19 Baalzamon
September 05 2013, 06:06PM

I know he's an Oilers prospect, but this is by far the best I've ever seen Martin Marincin. That is not a compliment.

#20 FireOnIce
September 05 2013, 06:22PM

As a side note, I'm pretty sure Burke already has a contract drawn up for Keenan Kanzig after that fight earlier. 3 years, max ELC. TRUCULENCE!

#gritchart

#21 jeremywilhelm
September 05 2013, 06:49PM

Ramage is making me a fan.

#22 Craig
September 05 2013, 07:23PM

I really liked Ramage, he stood out for me. I'm disappointed with Sven, totally mailed this one in.

#23 BurningSensation
September 05 2013, 07:42PM
Craig wrote:

i suspect Troy Ward's coaching advice to Sven for this game was simple;

Do. Not. Get. Hurt. Period.

#24 KetchupKid
September 06 2013, 02:57AM

Tyler Bunz? TYLER BUNZ?!? I'm sorry guys but I just found my new favourite goalie.

#25 bezer
September 05 2013, 05:20PM

Looking forward to seeing our prospects.. somewhat interested to see one of the Oilers prospects by the name of Jujhar Khaira.

#26 RexLibris
September 05 2013, 05:36PM

Granlund gets another one after a nice tic-tac-toe.

Oilers kids are completely overmatched.

Looks like an AHL team against a CHL scrimmage squad right now. No cohesiveness amongst the Oiler kids and the Flames all seem to know where the other is going to be.

#27 RexLibris
September 05 2013, 05:52PM

@schevvy

Plan the parade now, eh schevvy?

;-)

#28 Baalzamon
September 05 2013, 06:01PM

Wotherspoon is such a great passer.

#29 BurningSensation
September 05 2013, 06:01PM
Tony wrote:

I....I just can't do it. I tried, I had the app ready to download, but I just... I just couldn't do it.

Thanks for all the hints from everyone on how to get a Flash substitute, I'm looking into them right now.

#30 Baalzamon
September 05 2013, 06:13PM

@FireOnIce

Jujhar Khaira. Tip in from Martin Gernat.

#31 Clyde
September 05 2013, 06:43PM
FireOnIce wrote:

#gritchart

Kid has an assist and is playing pretty darn well for an 18 year old third rounder.

#32 jeremywilhelm
September 06 2013, 12:25AM

I think Knight will be the third line center this season. Kid was very impressive tonight.

Monahan looks like he needs another year of junior.

Of course. It's only one game.

#33 jeremywilhelm
September 06 2013, 01:53AM

Bo Horvat looked really really good in the Canucks game.

#34 Craig
September 06 2013, 04:43AM

@insvenwetrust

You're on Fire.

September 05 2013, 03:05PM

I don't particularly like Sven being stuck with two slow skaters.

#36 BurningSensation
September 05 2013, 04:24PM

@#$#%^

#37 Demetric
September 05 2013, 04:36PM

@BurningSensation

I am sure you will hear it where ever you are located, a big earth shattering KABOOM

#38 They're $hittie
September 05 2013, 04:38PM

Haha,Sven on the fourth line. Looks like Burke already knows his max potential.

All kidding aside, are any of the young kids going to be able to score on the oil Defense. if you some how get by them it should be an easy one on Bunz.

more trashes please

Kent needs a new Flames Burke Jersy

#40 FireOnIce
September 05 2013, 05:02PM

Oh noez, Baertschi lost the ceremonial puck drop! TRADE THE BUM!

Go Flames.

#41 FireOnIce
September 05 2013, 05:05PM

PP looks like crap. TRADE MONAHAN!

#42 FireOnIce
September 05 2013, 05:07PM

Max Power! 1-0 CGY.

#43 jeremywilhelm
September 05 2013, 05:08PM

Kanzig doesn't look like a no talent bum yet. Yay!

#44 jeremywilhelm
September 05 2013, 05:09PM

Is it going slow for you guys? Mine is cutting out a bit.

#45 jeremywilhelm
September 05 2013, 05:10PM

Nurse looks terrible. Yay!

#46 jeremywilhelm
September 05 2013, 05:11PM

Culkin has always reminded me alot of Brodie.

September 05 2013, 05:33PM

Granlund gets another one after a nice tic-tac-toe.

Oilers kids are completely overmatched.

#48 jeremywilhelm
September 05 2013, 05:37PM

Uh. Hello Markus Granlund. When did your skating get so much better??

#49 Baalzamon
September 05 2013, 05:55PM

Liking Elson.

#50 FireOnIce
September 05 2013, 06:20PM

Wow, Flames. Culkin scores on his own team.