Flames Recall Ben Street from Abbotsford

Ryan Pike
January 11 2014 11:43PM

Perhaps a bit lost in all the "Flames scoring a goal" hubbub tonight is the announcement that the club has recalled centre Ben Street from the AHL's Abbotsford Heat, presumably to give them an extra healthy forward for the upcoming back-to-back road games in Carolina and Nashville.

Street made the Flames out of camp and was quietly effective in a bottom-six role, being one of the team's better face-off guys. That said, he was pushed out of the team's immediate plans as the roster got healthier. He had one assist in eight NHL games, but emerged as one of Abbotsford's better players once he settled in down on the farm - putting up 33 points in 31 AHL contests, contributing on the power-play and racking up five game-winning goals. Street's an AHL All-Star, but he's also not waiver-exempt, so if the Flames decided to send him back to the farm, he'd have to clear waivers first. I'm not 100% convinced that Street, who's proven himself a strong AHLer and a completely acceptable NHLer, wouldn't be snatched up by an injury-depleted team with some holes in their bottom-six.

In short? I'm not 100% sure he's going to be sent back down.

David Jones has a lingering eye infection, so Street becomes the team's official 23rd roster player, although Jones could be played on IR retroactive to his original injury date (which is over a week ago) if the club wanted to make another move. Kris Russell, Blair Jones and Curtis Glencross remain on the IR, although Russell has been skating and is thought to be perhaps 7-10 days away from returning. That would place dates for Russell's potential return around January 18 (in Vancouver), January 20 (in San Jose) or January 22 (at home against Phoenix).

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his fourth season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers and the Wrestling Observer.
#1 exsanguinator
January 12 2014, 12:19AM

Street deserves another chance with the big club. He's improved tremendously.

#2 beloch
January 12 2014, 12:31AM

Very interesting move. Will he play wing? Please let it be so! Colborne is the most likely center to sit right now, but I'd rather see Street replace Big Ern or the new guy.

#3 cunning_linguist
January 12 2014, 12:59AM

He's been putting up numbers in Abby, and working with Troy Ward to develop his defensive play. 20 bucks says Hartley refers to him as our "two way Street" after the first good game he has. Hell, I'll even throw in Kevin Westgarth for free.

#4 ChinookArch
January 12 2014, 08:08AM

The Flames really can't afford to loose any assets to a waiver pick (read for nothing). With Russle coming back soon, and the trade deadline looming, I hope the Street call up is signalling a trade. If this is the case, I desperately hope Burke will get some value back.

#5 coachedpotatoe
January 12 2014, 08:13AM
ChinookArch wrote:

I was just about to say the same thing. Who do you think the first UFA to be traded will be?

#6 SB
January 12 2014, 09:00AM

I agree with your comment that he is here to stay with the big club. Street has proved he is a top AHL player and nothing to add there. Someone will pick him up at this stage of the season and he now has a NHL market value. This could be a sign of another trade coming up as he is a UFA.

Why would we not have him replace Westgarth ( sit him out ) rather then other potetial okay forwards ?

#7 Brent G.
January 12 2014, 09:26AM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

My money is on Cammalleri and/or Stempniak. As far as returns? Cammalleri is likely good for a late first rounder or B+ grade prospect, Stempniak I would be happy with a 2nd rounder.

#8 Primo
January 12 2014, 09:32AM

Street needs to NOW prove he can play in the NHL. It's one thing to always burn it up in the minors and another to play with the big boys. He is very talented and I hope Hartley gives him the minutes to prove it!

January 12 2014, 11:07AM

I trust the 4th lines performance last night is the impetus for this move. My bet is one of the goons sit next game and Street gets inserted instead.

EDIT - that or Colborne, who was also terrible last night.

#10 Primo
January 12 2014, 11:27AM

@Kent Wilson

Kent...at some point an article from you on how you would rebuild the Flames would be very interesting. If you were Burke how would you strategically approach and execute the next 2 years? How would you manage the Ekblad (2014) and the McDavid (2015) opportunities vs the desire of the fans to win now??

January 12 2014, 11:32AM

@Primo

Sounds like a plan. Will look into that in the next week or two.

#12 cunning_linguist
January 12 2014, 12:10PM
Primo wrote:

Agreed, that's an article I would share around the office for sure.

#13 SeanCharles
January 12 2014, 12:55PM

If I was calling the shots Stajan, Stempniak and Cammalleri would all get traded.

We can ice a 23 man roster that will score just as much as we would with them in it so you may as well maximize returns on them and play guys who have earned it like Street, B. Jones, Byron, Granlund, Reinhart, Knight etc. Mid-tier players like Stajan and Stempniak can be replaced in free agency if need be. The idea is acquiring assets.

Drafting top 2 is the goal this season.

With injuries young guys will be given a look.

I'd trade Butler too if someone offered anything worthwhile. But that's unlikely..

There might end up being moves with players coming back so who knows what the roster will look like in the end..?

#14 Primo
January 12 2014, 01:02PM

Good post! The timing of the trades is a critical factor. With your upper end assets with higher caps waiting for the trade deadline will be beneficial in that you may have competing teams bidding for your asset. That improves the market value instantly.

#15 coachedpotatoe
January 12 2014, 01:09PM
Primo wrote:

This would be interesting and it would be good to from the entire round table as well as from FN as well. What would be good is to have a day where it is discussed without using the trash/props buttons as I think there would be a great exchange of ideas. I also think there would be more in common between people than we sometimes think. I would look forward to that type of discussion.

#16 Walter White
January 12 2014, 02:14PM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

If I'm not going to get trashed; I won't be participating in that discussion.

WW

#17 coachedpotatoe
January 12 2014, 02:53PM
Walter White wrote:

If I'm not going to get trashed; I won't be participating in that discussion.

WW

WW I doubt you and I would have to worry about being trashed as it seems to happen regardless of what we say.

#18 MontanaMan
January 12 2014, 03:16PM

Cammalleri to Toronto for Gardiner and a prospect or draft pick. Toronto needs some scoring and needs to break out of their current funk. Burke and Gardiner have a love affair so it's a given he'll go after him.

First of many.....

#19 Primo
January 12 2014, 03:30PM
MontanaMan wrote:

First of many.....

I like your proposed trade except for the draft pick! Flames are rebuilding and certainly in no position to give up draft picks! That is exactly why we are in the horrible predicament we are in today...giving up draft picks for someone else's bagage. If so....Darryl Sutter days here we go again!!

#20 Carlizzle
January 12 2014, 03:40PM
SeanCharles wrote:

Drafting top 2 is the goal this season.

With injuries young guys will be given a look.

I might even throw Wideman's name into the list if anyone is willing to take on his contract. Would Del Zotto be worth going after?

#21 MontanaMan
January 12 2014, 04:01PM
Primo wrote:

Primo - my proposal is Cammalleri FOR Gardiner and a prospect or draft pick. In this scenario the Flames give up a player, not a draft pick.

#22 Primo
January 12 2014, 04:19PM
MontanaMan wrote:

oops misread your proposal.....why would the Leafs give up a young stud defenseman and a prospect /draft for a UFA? Seems unrealistic!

#23 coachedpotatoe
January 12 2014, 05:47PM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

See I was right. I'm actually getting used to being trashed. I was reading seancharles comments on what he would do and most of it I agree with.If I had said those things I am sure I would be trashed.(on previous items I have said almost the exact same ideas) Yet he gets props. This is so high school.

#24 Kurt
January 12 2014, 06:29PM
Primo wrote:

"seems unrealistic" should read "is completely ridiculous"

Look at what we got for Iggy, or better yet JBo. Norris candidate, Olympian and potentially the top pairing on the 2014 Stanley Cup Champs.

You'd think we'd have learned by now that when you are liquidating assets you get pennies on the dollar.

It's still worth selling off our UFAs of course. But expecting a high pedigree 22-24 year old D for any of our assets is pretty crazy. If Burke can get some late 1st rounders out of our UFAs it should be considered a windfall.

#25 MonsterPod
January 12 2014, 06:51PM

Let's look past our UFAs and dig a little deeper. The radio boys were talking about Brodie for O'Reilly at the end of Feb. What do we think of that?

We would have to qualify O'Reilly at 6.5M and he would be our highest paid player. Is he worth it?

#26 Walter White
January 12 2014, 06:55PM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

Remember: getting "props" is like getting your post stroked by some dude on this blog........

WW

#27 Baalzamon
January 12 2014, 07:19PM
MonsterPod wrote:

Absolutely not. 23year old 1st pair defensemen don't grow on trees, and even though a lot of people seem to have soured on him for no apparent reason, that's exactly what Brodie is.

#28 Burnward
January 12 2014, 07:32PM

@Baalzamon

I dunno. ROR's don't grow on trees either.

Him, Monahan, Mickis down the middle would be pretty strong.

If there was a guarantee we could replace Brodie with Ekblad...I think I'd do it.

Even not, I would probably take my chances and do that deal.

#29 Baalzamon
January 12 2014, 07:36PM

@Burnward

The Flames are in no position to be dealing young defensemen, particularly ones as good as Brodie.

#30 Kevin R
January 12 2014, 07:45PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Agree. I would rather see what we can extract with a Wideman, GlenX, Hudler before letting an up & coming 23 year old puck moving dman. Use Glenx to get Gardiner +

#32 Burnward
January 12 2014, 09:09PM

@Baalzamon

Oh, I agree dude. I love Brodie a lot...but if the offer was on the table, that's pretty tough to turn down.

Gotta think it would take Brodie+ though.

#33 Burnward
January 12 2014, 09:10PM

@Ryan Pike

Suuuure he does. Come on Burkie! Let the fun begin!

#34 Burnward
January 12 2014, 09:11PM

@Kevin R

Well, the question I have with this scenario is...would you rather have GlenX and Brodie or ROR and Gardiner?

#35 theartfuldodger
January 12 2014, 10:15PM
cunning_linguist wrote:

Agreed, that's an article I would share around the office for sure.

oops....meant to give props not trash!!

#36 beloch
January 13 2014, 12:13AM

After the last stretch, I couldn't wait until tomorrow for a dose of optimism and peeked at the kids' stats for this week early. It appears to have been a good week!

Gaudreau: 2 games, 2 goals, 3 assists. (2.5 ppg)
Klimchuk: 3 games, 1 goal, 4 assists (1.67 ppg)
Arnold: 2 games, 2 goals, 1 assist (1.5 ppg)
Poirier: 2 games[1], 2 goals, 1 assist (1.5ppg)
Kulak: 2 games, 1 goal, 2 assists (1.5 ppg)
Gordon: 2 games, 0 goals, 3 assists (1.5 ppg)
Agostino: 1 game, 1 goal, 0 assists (1.0 ppg)
Roy: 3 games, 1 goal, 1 assist (0.67 ppg)
Jankowski: 2 games, 0 goals, 1 assist (0.50 ppg)[2]
Culkin: 3 games, 0 goals, 1 assist (0.33 ppg)

Gillies: First game of the week he went 0.931, as per usual. The second game of the week he let in 4 and went 0.867, but that was against Gaudreau's unholy goalie-slaying squad! If Gillies has to get lit up, I suppose it's best if Gaudreau and Arnold are the ones doing it!

Sven: 3 games, 0 goals, 1 assist. (What's up with Sven?)

[1]The Olympique's played 3 games and Poirier missed the first. Injured? Sick? He got a goose-egg on his first game back and his points all came on his second game back.

[2]Jank's assist was against Gaudreau's BC Eagles (a game in which he got 3 shots), so we'll give it a multiplier of a bajillion and say he had a great freakin' week.

#37 EugeneV
January 13 2014, 01:19AM
Kurt wrote:

"seems unrealistic" should read "is completely ridiculous"

Please remember that those trades were made by Feaster. even the Burke haters will need to admit that Burke will be far more likely to get a better return.

#38 coachedpotatoe
January 13 2014, 06:01AM
Walter White wrote:

WW

I don't like the props button either as I would prefer actual discussion on the direction of the team.

#39 ianberg1
January 13 2014, 06:42AM

Its Monday morning, 6:30 Calgary time: Is Cammallerri injured or being traded? He played Saturday but isn't on road trip. Ben Street is called up. A Burkean mystery.

#40 piscera.infada
January 13 2014, 08:38AM

Cammalleri with a concussion. Jove help us, that's a worrying one.

#41 The Last Big Bear
January 13 2014, 10:46AM

Lets do what Detroit would do.

Trade every player over 29, dressing the bare minimum number of vets you can possibly justify, call up players who have not proven that they are ready for the NHL, and lose lose lose until the new guys are full of confidence and a winning culture.

Which is exactly what Detroit would do, and is totally not THE EXACT SAME DAMN THING AS THE OILERS HAVE BEEN DOING.

#42 everton fc
January 13 2014, 10:50AM

I nevr did respond to my proposal of trying to package something fro Del Zotto in NY. Could they use Stempniak or Stajan, and maybe on of our defencive prospects? Coming our way with him... Most that know me here know I like Dorsett. But I also know that won't be a popular add-on, and he's also out 4-6 weeks.

Not sure on that "second piece"... Just throwin' it our there. Cammy would have been my first pick to NYR. But the possible concussion... Man, do we have bad luck with injuries!

Glad to see Street up. He's a perfect 4th liner at this level.

#43 Luc
January 14 2014, 10:07AM
Kurt wrote:

"seems unrealistic" should read "is completely ridiculous"

you realize DOUGLAS MURRAY got 2!!!! second round picks right??? Cammy is having an off season sure, but trading him for an often healthy scratch which toronto has soured on and a second doesnt seem so unrealistic to me. if so, throw in Breen. Hes big and not good. Perfect for Toronto