Fan Ask and Weekend Open Thread

Justin Azevedo
January 04 2014 03:00PM

Via NHL.com

It's a new round of Fan Ask. As always, submit your questions here to have them answered.

Do you see Hartley getting a extension after next season?

Honestly, no. Two main reasons: first, he hasn't really done anything thus far that really demands the Org to extend him. He will have presided over three years worth of non-playoff teams in all likelihood. Secondly, Burke has no attachment to the original hiring and we know he likes to have coaches that are on the same wavelength as he is. On top of that, there will be a new "GM" and he'll likely want his guy.

I don't think its a huge loss to let Hartley walk. He's one of those 40 or so guys who are basically interchangeable as NHL head coaches. Unless you have a top-10 coach, there's not much difference.

How likely is it that Coda Gordon gets an ELC?

Coda Gordon is scoring at a healthy pace right now for the Swift Current Broncos, with an NHLE around 30. Gordon is known to have a wicked shot but ever since he broke his femur - in his draft year, no less - there's been concerns about his speed. The hockey graveyard is riddled with players of that description, but that doesn't mean he's a goner.

Based on the pace he is scoring at, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't give him an ELC. Dudes have gotten them with less. The only reason I. Would see the club passing is if they were at like 49 contracts and he would be 50; but that would take very inept management - okay, yeah, I guess that could happen.

Give it to me straight, Doc - should I be worried about any of the Flames' NCAA prospects refusing to sign?

In my opinion, no. There's only 4 players that have really distinguished themselves right now, so we'll just look at them.

There's two guys graduating this year - Kenny Agostino and Bill Arnold. Both are PPG players and later round picks. Long-term, both are probably going to top out as third liners. I can't see why the Flames wouldn't want to sign and why they wouldn't want to sign with the Flames.

Jon Gillies still has two years of eligibility left after this one and both parties know where he stands in the organization. He'll get an immediate shot at the starting job when he signs. Once again, there's no reason why the Flames should not want to get him under contract and with the Flames, more than with pretty much any other team in the league, he'll get a shot right away. I expect him to stay in the NCAA for at least one more season.

John Gaudreau is obviously the name most people are worried about. Gaudreau is ridiculous in just about every aspect of the game and seems to have a sky-high ceiling, so it's fair that people would be worried about another team poaching him. I'm not concerned, however - I'm not expecting him to sign with the Flames this year as he goes back for his degree and a chance to play more hockey with his brother. The Flames officially have until August 15th, 2015 to sign him.

Is Burkie going to be the Flames GM in all but title? Is the GM he hires just going to be the guy that does all the leg work on the moves that Burkie wants?

As much as he says that he will stay away and be hands off, I have a hard time thinking that this team isn't going to look exactly the way Burke wants it to. I don't believe any GM he hires will be able to work autonoumously. I can't see how it won't be exactly the situation we just left. The guy Burke hires will likely be a GM who performs in his image - exactly what's been done with Dave Nonis in Vancouver and Toronto.

As long as the word "Hockey" is in Burke's title, he'll be the one making the impactful decisions. Seriously, does anyone really think that Burke would green light a move he disagreed with?

Which vets might actually fit into the Flames' future? It's difficult to assess the team when you're getting points because of guys who are likely gone soon.

Unfortunately for the Flames, they can't just trade everyone and draft Connor McDavid next year. The salary cap means that the Flames will have to keep a decent amount of talent just to reach the floor. (I believe $55.1 million is the floor for next year, so the Flames will have to spend at least $21 million on 10 guys.)

Wideman, Smid and Giordano are all long-term players on the back end. Wideman's contract is too unruly (although he provides near-equal value right now), Giordano is too important and Smid is too Burkie. O'Brien is done when his contract is. I would re-sign Russell yesterday but who knows where he stands with the new management. Unless one of the current goaltenders (Roy, MacDonald, Rämö and Berra) makes a convincing argument to stay (by not sucking) I don't see them sticking around too long either.

Up front is a little more tricky. Anyone making less than a million per has little to no trade value and no real value on the ice. I would not keep any of them. Glencross makes too little and has a no-move clause. I think he finishes his contract here. Cammalleri and Stajan both have pretty good value right now and I can't see why either would want to resign in Calgary at this point if their main motivation is the Stanley Cup. I expect both to be traded at the deadline.

Jones just can't move around the ice effectively, but he's a big body - so there's one reason no one else would want him and one reason the Flames want him. I might make him a compliance buyout in the summer, honestly. Stempniak should be cheap to re-sign and I don't think he carries the same free-agent weight that Stajan and Cammalleri do. I would try an keep him, but I view that as a 50/50 shot at best.

Hudler is the last guy. I think if you can get a first round pick plus a good prospect for Hudler right now, you do it. I think his scoring pace comes back down to about 50 (he's at 66 right now) and I don't know how else you could maximize his value as an asset over the life of his contract. The only reason I'd be hesitant about him being traded is that it might mean a huge UFA overpay.

A9d138d0e612f28cd46f9b7057ed715d
Justin is a 23-year-old Flames fan who also happens to be pursuing a double major at the University of Calgary. He has played hockey at high levels, enjoys wearing shorts and tends to drink far too much Grasshopper. Please don't hate him.
#51 Nick24
January 05 2014, 07:30PM

@seve927

You're thinking about Pavel Sedlacek on the Czech Republic. I'd never heard of him until the WJC, but they were saying that he could be in the same ball park as Eichel and McDavid.

#52 RexLibris
January 05 2014, 08:27PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Anyone think the Flames might be able to pry Adam Larsson out of New Jersey?

It isn't that I want to see a significant piece traded away... but they do need a top defense prospect.

Not sure what that would take from the Flames, though. Larsson may be struggling but it isn't as though Lamoriello is impatient or in need to dumping him.

The conversation would probably be something like...

Burke: "Hey Lou, you interested in moving that Larsson kid?"

Lamoriello: "Hiya Brian, sure. How's that Monahan kid doing?

Burke: "Yeah, great. Listen, lunch just arrived. I'll get back to you. Give the wife my best."

I agree the Flames need defensive prospects, especially high-end ones. However, at this point they'd be best to target those likely just below the Larsson price point. Gardiner is one I fully expect Burke to try and acquire before the trade deadline.

#53 Baalzamon
January 05 2014, 08:32PM

@RexLibris

I was thinking more like Baertschi actually...

#54 RexLibris
January 05 2014, 09:05PM
Baalzamon wrote:

I was thinking more like Baertschi actually...

Larsson may be a 3rd pairing, but he's consistently in the NHL.

Baertschi hasn't been able to make his case as a consistent NHLer yet.

I don't see the match with Lamoriello.

I mention Gardiner because of the Burke/Nonis connection as well as the Leafs' ability to move a defender for a scoring winger, even one who has a lot of developing yet to do.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Larsson is worth Monahan at this point, just that I don't see much else the Flames have (outside of a top two pick) for which Lamoriello would consider the offer.

#55 coachedpotatoe
January 05 2014, 09:10PM
Nick24 wrote:

Now that I see the name I think that is the name I was searching for. Now we have a year and a half to see idf he is as good as the guys on TSN thought he was. thank you.

#56 coachedpotatoe
January 05 2014, 09:18PM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

Nope to old, it was Pavel Zacha, 6'3 200+lbs they were talking about. might be interesting to see this 16 year olds development.

#57 the forgotten man
January 05 2014, 11:08PM

Wow, Teravainen only had 15 points and captained his country to a World Junior Gold...thank the Good Lord we snatched Jankowski instead - phew, what a relief!

#58 the-wolf
January 06 2014, 07:39AM
the forgotten man wrote:

Yup, hard to fathom at the time it was done, mind-boggling now.......and that's why Weisbrod is gone.

Speaking of which, I would love to see Todd Button's personal notes on who he would've selected. He must have his choices very well-documented. What is this? His 5th GM he's on now? The guy was hired by Coates! I would love to see who he would've taken before being overridden by the powers that be.

#59 the-wolf
January 06 2014, 07:41AM
coachedpotatoe wrote:

The top 5 for Draft 2015 is starting to look extremely elite. Here's hoping desperately that the Flames don't make any moves to fast track back to mediocrity before then.

#60 Baalzamon
January 06 2014, 08:07AM
the-wolf wrote:

Well, the 2011 draft might give us an idea of Tod's thoughts, since that was basically 100% his doing.

Sven Baertschi, Markus Granlund, Johnny Gaudreau... I'm detecting a pattern...

#61 Gored 1970
January 06 2014, 08:29AM

If Walter White put as much effort into providing insight to the plight of the Flames as he does trashing the Canucks, there may be something worth reading. My guess is he's a chronic bed-wetter living in his Mom's basement.

#62 Kevin R
January 06 2014, 10:31AM
Baalzamon wrote:

Anyone think the Flames might be able to pry Adam Larsson out of New Jersey?

I truly do hope that Burke is looking at these kind of moves & turning over any & every stone to see if the parting price is palatable. You never know what we have would be enough to pull off a deal. We do have some decent prospects which I find are in abundance with the Flames but may be exactly what someone like Lou is looking for. Lou may come back & say Klimchuk & Reinhart are exactly what we need to fill in some holes & then you can have Larsson. Not to debate value but just an example of moving a raw good prospect & a developed prospect in Reino who we already have in Knight & Backlund. Who knows, but a deal like that could work both ways & by Lord I apologize to all the hockey submissives, but perhaps speed up this rebuild without leaping to mediocrity & cause Wolf a lot of heartburn.