Post-Game: Flames Beat Oil, Give Atomic Wedgies, Steal Lunch Money

Taylor McKee
March 23 2014 12:25AM

IMG_20140322_225742_edit

This night of nights, this game of games, is the sweetest of victories for your fightin' Flames as it comes against our perennially pathetic polar ... poo-heads from the North. It's not that the Flames won big, in Edmonton, it's that the game was just so fun to watch for so many different reasons. Including a Taylor Hall/Dallas Eakins "mis-communication" which looked an awful lot like a cat fight. 

The Flames turned the second period into a highlight package and scored EIGHT TIMES. IN ONE GAME. AGAINST THE OILERS. One of them by Kevin Westgarth, the Brick Tamland of hockey. Drink it in Flames fans, this game is ties the largest margin of victory in a BOA and this may have been the most unexpected of Flames big wins in Edmonton. We can worry about the draft lottery and tanking and the rebuild tomorrow. For right now, this feels great.   

Best game ever.

Also, Matt Stajan melted some hearts with a penalty shot goal, Read all about it after the jump  

GAME SUMMARY


Right off the bat, Kevin Westgarth, whom was dressed tonight for reasons I do not understand, took a roughing penalty two minutes into the game. On that power-play, Jeff Petry scored on a point shot with Ryan Jones parked directly in front of him without a stick. Though the difference between Jones with a stick and without a stick are frankly negligible.  

After the 1-0 goal, Westgarth decided to correct his error by fighting Luke Gadzic, the same guy who knocked him out in a scary incident. Westgarth tried to protect himself throughout the majority of the scrap and was able to hold his own for the most part. Basically, who cares? Westgarth fighting a fellow goon seems inconsequential to me but that hardly seems important now doesn't it? I won't complain about anything else from this point on I promise.

Because after that, things were all smiles in Flameland. T.J Brodie, who rules, started a breakout and the puck found Mark Giordano who absolutely blasted one past Fasth and tied the game at 1. The game was tied at one heading into the second period. All things considered, the game was quite even going into the room, the Flames were leading in shots 9-8.

The second period started off pretty good for the Flames when four and a half minutes in, Paul Byron forced a turnover to Mikael Backlund who found a wide-open red-hot Mike Cammalleri to give the Flames a 2-1 lead. Things got very good after that.

One minute later, Matt Stajan was the recipient of a fairly generous call and was awarded a penalty shot. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from Stajan, whom isn't known as much of a shootout specialist, I think anyone who saw what happened were pretty pleased:   

A pretty emotional goal considering all the hardship that Stajan and his family have endured recently. He points to the sky after the goal and ...yeah. That is a pretty cool moment. Good on him.

The Flames would score twice more before the second period ended, one from Lord Byron, who rules, and one from Glencross who roofed one on Fasth and ended his night. The Flames went into the third WINNING 5-1?! I was tingling with glee. 

Heading into the third, I am sure most Flames fans would have been content with sitting on the four goal lead. However, the Flames decided to reward us for our loyalty this year by laying into our northern foes for three more goals on Ben Scrivens who must be super glad he willingly signed up for another tour of duty in goaltending Vietnam. 

Glencross scored twice in the third to complete the hat-trick and even, sigh, Kevin Westgarth scored in the third off of what I am going to assume was an intentional chest pass from Tyler Wotherspoon to make it 7-1 at that point. The game ended 8-1 and all is good in the world. 

THE RED WARRIOR


One may be tempted to make Ryan Smyth the Red Warrior tonight as he somehow, and I have no idea how, managed to be even in an 8-1 loss. That is amazing. How is that even possible? Anywho, enough of the report from Shelbyville. The Flames had a number of amazing performances tonight including Curtis Glencross who scored a friggen hat trick, Mark Giordano who seems to be on a one man mission to make Dan Hamhuis pay for not being picked for the Olympic team, and T.J Brodie who, along with Gio, was +5 tonight. Even though we all hate that stat, that's still pretty impressive.

However, the obvious choice is good ol' Matthew "Ragin Franchise" Stajan who had four points tonight to go with his penalty shot goal. Just great stuff all around.

SCORING CHANCES

Team Period Time Note Home Away State
Home 1 14:00 Perron 4 19 21 35 57 89 5 7 18 20 24 31 5v5
Away 1 11:19 Agostino 5 14 35 51 84 93 4 8 23 31 44 51 5v5
Home 1 7:52 Schultz 14 19 21 35 51 93 5 18 20 24 31 44 5v5
Home 1 6:50 Hendricks 2 23 27 35 68 85 3 11 13 31 32 56 5v5
Home 1 5:36 Hall 4 5 35 57 84 89 5 7 8 18 20 31 5v5
Away 1 5:08 Colborne 14 19 21 35 51 93 4 8 23 31 44 51 5v5
Away 1 3:08 Monahan 5 21 35 93 94 4 5 11 13 23 31 4v5
Away 1 2:45 Giordano 5 21 35 93 94 4 5 11 13 23 31 4v5
Home 2 17:33 Smyth 2 14 35 51 93 94 3 13 31 32 44 5v4
Away 2 16:41 Glencross 2 27 35 51 68 85 4 7 11 20 24 31 5v5
Away 2 16:18 Monahan 2 27 35 51 68 85 3 8 23 31 51 56 5v5
Away 2 15:48 Cammalleri goal 19 21 23 27 35 68 5 7 11 13 31 32 5v5
Away 2 14:40 Stajan PS goal 2 4 35 57 85 89 5 7 11 13 31 32 5v5
Away 2 14:01 Byron goal 2 4 35 57 85 89 5 7 11 13 31 32 5v5
Home 2 13:06 Lander 5 14 35 51 84 93 4 15 16 17 31 44 5v5
Home 2 11:50 Lander 14 19 21 30 51 93 4 8 23 31 44 51 5v5
Home 2 10:12 Jones 5 20 28 30 84 94 3 15 16 17 31 56 5v5
Away 2 5:34 Hudler 2 30 85 93 94 4 5 8 20 24 31 4v5
Home 2 3:49 Nugent-Hopkins 2 5 14 21 30 93 5 7 17 23 31 51 5v5
Away 2 2:59 Glencross 19 30 51 57 84 89 3 5 18 20 24 31 5v5
Home 3 19:26 Nugent-Hopkins 14 19 30 85 93 5 7 11 31 32 4v4
Away 3 15:16 Glencross 14 19 20 21 30 93 4 18 20 24 31 44 5v5
Away 3 15:11 Glencross goal 14 19 20 21 30 93 4 18 20 24 31 44 5v5
Away 3 14:44 Bouma 5 23 27 28 30 84 3 15 16 17 31 56 5v5
Away 3 14:34 Westgarth goal 5 23 27 28 30 84 3 15 16 17 31 56 5v5
Away 3 13:47 Cammalleri 2 20 30 57 85 89 4 8 13 23 31 44 5v5
Home 3 10:10 Smyth 19 20 21 28 30 94 4 15 16 17 31 44 5v5
Away 3 7:06 Glencross 19 20 21 28 30 94 4 18 20 24 31 44 5v5
Home 3 6:57 Gazdic 5 20 30 57 84 94 4 18 20 24 31 44 5v5
Away 3 4:50 Monahan 4 14 19 21 30 93 4 8 23 31 44 51 5v5
Away 3 3:45 Bouma 5 20 28 30 84 94 3 15 16 17 31 44 5v5
Away 3 3:30 Agostino 19 21 30 51 57 89 4 16 23 31 44 51 5v5
# Player EV PP SH
3 SMID, LADISLAV 19:30 5 2 00:00 0 0 01:12 0 1
4 RUSSELL, KRIS 18:20 9 4 03:45 3 0 00:01 0 0
5 GIORDANO, MARK 13:15 4 5 04:19 3 0 02:13 0 0
7 BRODIE, TJ 16:30 4 4 01:56 0 0 00:40 0 0
8 COLBORNE, JOE 15:05 5 2 02:04 1 0 00:00 0 0
11 BACKLUND, MIKAEL 13:00 4 2 03:22 2 0 00:39 0 0
13 CAMMALLERI, MIKE 13:08 4 1 03:22 2 0 00:33 0 1
15 WESTGARTH, KEVIN 10:05 3 3 00:00 0 0 00:00 0 0
16 MCGRATTAN, BRIAN 11:13 4 3 00:00 0 0 00:00 0 0
17 BOUMA, LANCE 13:17 3 4 00:15 0 0 02:15 0 0
18 STAJAN, MATT 09:39 4 4 00:00 0 0 02:09 0 0
20 GLENCROSS, CURTIS 10:28 5 4 02:04 1 0 00:01 0 0
23 MONAHAN, SEAN 17:26 6 2 03:24 2 0 00:04 0 0
24 HUDLER, JIRI 10:11 5 3 02:17 1 0 00:01 0 0
31 RAMO, KARRI   17 11   3 0   0 1
32 BYRON, PAUL 13:32 3 2 00:00 0 0 01:10 0 1
44 BUTLER, CHRIS 17:07 9 5 01:22 0 0 02:46 0 1
51 AGOSTINO, KENNY 13:17 5 2 00:15 0 0 00:00 0 0
56 WOTHERSPOON, TYLER 17:04 3 2 00:00 0 0 00:00 0 0
Period Totals EV PP 5v3 PP SH 5v3 SH
1 4 4 2 4 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 7 5 6 4 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
3 9 3 9 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

SUM IT UP


Flames rule, while the Oilers a pathetic excuse for a joke... also, they drool.

Flames host the Sharks on Monday.

112039ec99211abeba03b81d364735ec
Taylor splits time between UVIC and Calgary studying history. Taylor likes the Flames, the Cannons, Buckshot, and the Oxford comma. Taylor scored on his own net on dome ice when he was 8. Twitter: @TaylorMcKee_
Avatar
#51 hockeydoofus
March 23 2014, 03:26PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Props
14
props

@TheoForever

For all you guys that criticize McGratten, Westgarth, etc., how many NHL games have you played, how many NHL goals have you scored and how many NHL heavyweights have you fought. Yea, right.

Avatar
#52 Kent Wilson
March 23 2014, 03:53PM
Trash it!
28
trashes
Props
20
props

@hockeydoofus

Take the fallacious arguments elsewhere please. They don't aid discussion in the least.

Avatar
#53 beloch
March 23 2014, 04:08PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
10
props
TheoForever wrote:

Once in a while someone comes along and starts criticizing enforces and fighting. Those people make empty statements about lack of evidence to support the claim that enforces can change the outcome of a game, which btw. they can and do.

I have been thinking about who those people are and why they think the way they do, and finally I think I understand.

There is a GENERATION GAP.

I'm going to take you back to a time, that once was and has come to an end in places like Canada. A time before lawyers and crybabies. Back to a time where your mommy and daddy didn't drive you around to clubs and events.

A time where kids played in their own neighbourhoods policed themselves on the playgrounds with no adult supervision. Yeah, that time existed not that long ago.

There was 10 of us or so, we were about 12 years old and we were playing soccer. A bunch (6) of 16-17 year olds came around and they took our ball and told us to get lost. We knew them but being younger didn't hang out with them.

One of our group was bigger and more aggressive, he was our leader and best player the driving force in all the games. That day he challenged one of the older boys and fight erupted, he got some licks in but he was loosing. The older boy had him in a headlock, and was telling him to give up but our guy wouldn't. The moment he was realised he kept coming at the older kid. It didn't matter how badly he got hit he would not give up. Finally, the other older boys stepped in and separated the two.

They gave the ball back and left. We stayed on the playground and kept playing.

A few hours later they came back and said -'let's play'. We split into groups to make it fair. From that day on we weren't picked on and not just by those guys but anyone else. We had our protection.

It took one guy's bloodied nose and never give up attitude no matter what.

This brings me back to Westgarth and why Hartley put him in the game. Westgarh had to face his nemesis, because he is a 'gunfighter' and has no choice. Hartley, understands what it is like and he knows what it does for the team. Yeah, Westgarth played a big role in this win.

You can criticize as much as you want but the players felt it and coach knew it.

Cheers

There's also a bit of a disconnect between people who played nothing but refereed ice hockey and never ball-hockey or shinny. Things do get out of hand easier when there's no box or higher authority. In the NHL the players are so big and passionate that the referees and box aren't always enough to maintain control. What you've described is a valid reason to employ and deploy the big guys.

There are subtleties to the debate over enforcers however. Something else is going on when prearranged goon fights happen the moment the puck first hits the ice. There's nothing about sticking up for team-mates or preventing nastiness going on there. It's just a circus side-show to get the crowd cheering. Those fights are an embarrassment to the league and pose needless risk of injury to the enforcers themselves. The question is, how do you rewrite the rules to cut out the meaningless fights without removing the meaningful ones?

Although changing the rules on the ice remains a conundrum, one thing I would like to see is a little less gladiatorial pomp in arenas when fights happen. Even in hitmen games where it's just kids that are playing, fights break out frequently. When they do, on come the flashing lights and heavy-metal music. The crowd is encouraged to cheer and jeer. I'm surprised they don't have the ice-crew come on and start throwing loaves of bread into the stands! It's repugnant. Leave the lights the way they are. Don't turn on the music. Treat it like two kids are out there risking injury or death.

Avatar
#54 suba steve
March 23 2014, 04:17PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
22
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Take the fallacious arguments elsewhere please. They don't aid discussion in the least.

So, all the "hockey people" and players who believe that goons are a benefit to their teams...these people are all just 100% wrong? I suppose Gretzky took McSorley with him to LA for the pleasure of his company?

I won't pretend that I know anything for sure, but what I'll say is that the Flames better err on the side of caution with their goon position(s) when Johnny Gaudreau arrives in Calgary. If a goon can possibly make Johnny play a couple of inches taller, well...he needs all the help he can get in that department.

Avatar
#55 Baalzamon
March 23 2014, 04:24PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
10
props
hockeydoofus wrote:

For all you guys that criticize McGratten, Westgarth, etc., how many NHL games have you played, how many NHL goals have you scored and how many NHL heavyweights have you fought. Yea, right.

how many have you?

Avatar
#56 Baalzamon
March 23 2014, 04:27PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
24
props

How in the name of all that is holy did the ancient, unnecessary, and poorly-fought argument about enforcers erupt in the post-game thread of an 8-1 win over THE OILERS??? Enjoy it. Savour it. Marvel at Westgarth's hand-eye coordination.

Otherwise, everyone just shove it.

Avatar
#57 piscera.infada
March 23 2014, 04:30PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props

@beloch

"Although changing the rules on the ice remains a conundrum, one thing I would like to see is a little less gladiatorial pomp in arenas when fights happen."

While I'm not swayed one way or the other on "goons" (I have my opinion, and usually discussion on the issue just devolves into utter chaos), I couldn't agree more with what you're saying. It seems ludicrous to me that the NHL can constantly have an open discussion regarding the merits of fighting, yet the league and many of its teams use it as one of the most marketable aspects of the game.

Avatar
#58 Stubblejumper
March 23 2014, 04:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@beloch

"how do you rewrite the rules to cut out the meaningless fights without removing the meaningful ones?"

Well said Beloch. Policies/rules are made and applied fairly for all. Referees want, whenever possible, to administrate to black and white rules rather than applying judgement.

A good example is delay of game penalties for shooting the puck out without touching the glass...no judgement as to the intent of the player, only administration of the rule.

Short of an absolute ban in fighting (which would also have some unintended consequences), fighting will likely remain in the game.

Therefore the only other decision is whether to further diminish fighting through rule changes and penalties, with a desire to reduce/eliminate meaningless fights, but likely impacting meaningful fights.

Avatar
#59 mattyc
March 23 2014, 05:28PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
7
props
suba steve wrote:

So, all the "hockey people" and players who believe that goons are a benefit to their teams...these people are all just 100% wrong? I suppose Gretzky took McSorley with him to LA for the pleasure of his company?

I won't pretend that I know anything for sure, but what I'll say is that the Flames better err on the side of caution with their goon position(s) when Johnny Gaudreau arrives in Calgary. If a goon can possibly make Johnny play a couple of inches taller, well...he needs all the help he can get in that department.

Kevin Lowe is a hockey person, Randy Carlyle is a hockey person, Don Cherry is a hockey person, PJ Stock is a hockey person. The game isn't static - what may have helped in Gretzky's era isn't necessarily important anymore. Rules change, strategies change, the more we drag our feet and try to follow what may have worked 20 years ago, the more we fail to adapt and innovate new (better?) strategies.

Avatar
#61 suba steve
March 23 2014, 06:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
3
props
mattyc wrote:

Kevin Lowe is a hockey person, Randy Carlyle is a hockey person, Don Cherry is a hockey person, PJ Stock is a hockey person. The game isn't static - what may have helped in Gretzky's era isn't necessarily important anymore. Rules change, strategies change, the more we drag our feet and try to follow what may have worked 20 years ago, the more we fail to adapt and innovate new (better?) strategies.

Failing to change with the times is not smart, I'll grant you that, but what would you call failing to learn from the past?

Avatar
#62 clyde
March 23 2014, 06:29PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
4
props
mattyc wrote:

Kevin Lowe is a hockey person, Randy Carlyle is a hockey person, Don Cherry is a hockey person, PJ Stock is a hockey person. The game isn't static - what may have helped in Gretzky's era isn't necessarily important anymore. Rules change, strategies change, the more we drag our feet and try to follow what may have worked 20 years ago, the more we fail to adapt and innovate new (better?) strategies.

Just because a coach values some things that were valued 20 years ago, doesn't necessarily mean they still don't change and are not creative. Some hockey people like Hartley obviously values guys you think should be out of the game but I also see a coach who values creativity, fitness, speed, compete, a team first mentality and has been and is still a successful coach. Doing the same things as other coaches regardless of personal and talent level because it is working for others would worry me much more.

Avatar
#63 Resolute
March 23 2014, 06:51PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
7
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Take the fallacious arguments elsewhere please. They don't aid discussion in the least.

It added about as much as Taylor's pointless anti-fighting whining in the game story did.

Avatar
#64 hockeydoofus
March 23 2014, 06:54PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
5
props

@Baalzamon

None at all. I just don't criticize those that can do all three.

Avatar
#65 mattyc
March 23 2014, 07:13PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
3
props

@suba steve

I would expect a coach to be learning from his past mistakes. I'm skeptical that a cursory attribute like fighting or intimidation outweighs better hockey skills - it just seems like a pretty extraordinary claim. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof, and no data (that I've seen/read at least) seems to support this idea in any significant way.

@clyde

I'm actually, all things considered, pretty happy with the job Hartley has done this year. Would I rather have seen Galiardi over Westgarth last night? - yep, 10/10 times I'd bet on Galiardi outperforming Westgarth, but at the end of the day, a guy playing 8 minutes a night isn't going to win you a game very often.

Avatar
#66 Clyde
March 23 2014, 07:24PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
6
props
mattyc wrote:

I would expect a coach to be learning from his past mistakes. I'm skeptical that a cursory attribute like fighting or intimidation outweighs better hockey skills - it just seems like a pretty extraordinary claim. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof, and no data (that I've seen/read at least) seems to support this idea in any significant way.

@clyde

I'm actually, all things considered, pretty happy with the job Hartley has done this year. Would I rather have seen Galiardi over Westgarth last night? - yep, 10/10 times I'd bet on Galiardi outperforming Westgarth, but at the end of the day, a guy playing 8 minutes a night isn't going to win you a game very often.

From a talent standpoint, very true and under different circumstances, I would agree. But, he allowed westgarth an opportunity that he needed. My personal feeling is that it played a role in the victory. Can I measure it? No. But, how I don't think any flames player didn't give it their all after what he did.

Avatar
#67 Burnward
March 23 2014, 08:34PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
13
props

Re: Westgarth/McGratton

I think last night displayed the differing "identities" of the Flames and Oilers.

We are a hard working, in your face club...and they are soft as hell.

While Big Ern and Westgarth may not have the most skills on the team, they do allow the more skilled players to play their game.

When's the last time a Flame got cheap shotted? The other teams know they have to answer the bell if that happens.

While it's easy to dismiss them...these guys go to war each night and knowing that you have nukes, just in case, probably opens the ice a little bit more.

This team could have been fallen apart at times but instead has grown together.

This isn't about CORSI or any stats, it's about a mentality that a team needs to win in this league.

Avatar
#68 mattyc
March 23 2014, 08:38PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
6
props

@Clyde

I do like what Hartley did from a personal perspective (giving Westgarth a chance to come back from a brutal showing - and probably an embarrassing or at least sobering incident as a fighter). But from a utility perspective, I'm not sure it's a better way to win a hockey game, but I'm sympathetic to the argument that people are more important than a throwaway game against the oilers when both teams are already booking tee times.

Regarding measurement: You can't directly measure the impact of a fight, but if it has any meaningful impact on the game, and improves player performance, it would show in other statistics that measure player performance. For instance if we work on the premise that every flames player played harder after the fight, and playing harder made the flames more likely to win the game, you could create a testable hypothesis to see if any measure of success (corsi, goals, whatever your flavour) improved after the fight.

Personally, I'm skeptical.

1. I feel like the Flames were probably giving their all already (or if they weren't, the difference before/after would be insignificantly small)

2. Even if there were a difference, I'm skeptical it would be greater than the difference between a 5min/night enforcer and a functional 3-4th liner.

Avatar
#69 clyde
March 23 2014, 09:50PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
8
props
mattyc wrote:

I do like what Hartley did from a personal perspective (giving Westgarth a chance to come back from a brutal showing - and probably an embarrassing or at least sobering incident as a fighter). But from a utility perspective, I'm not sure it's a better way to win a hockey game, but I'm sympathetic to the argument that people are more important than a throwaway game against the oilers when both teams are already booking tee times.

Regarding measurement: You can't directly measure the impact of a fight, but if it has any meaningful impact on the game, and improves player performance, it would show in other statistics that measure player performance. For instance if we work on the premise that every flames player played harder after the fight, and playing harder made the flames more likely to win the game, you could create a testable hypothesis to see if any measure of success (corsi, goals, whatever your flavour) improved after the fight.

Personally, I'm skeptical.

1. I feel like the Flames were probably giving their all already (or if they weren't, the difference before/after would be insignificantly small)

2. Even if there were a difference, I'm skeptical it would be greater than the difference between a 5min/night enforcer and a functional 3-4th liner.

I understand your skepticism. But, keep an open mind. There are things in this game that simply cannot be explained or measured.

Avatar
#70 Derzie
March 23 2014, 10:18PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props
TheoForever wrote:

Once in a while someone comes along and starts criticizing enforces and fighting. Those people make empty statements about lack of evidence to support the claim that enforces can change the outcome of a game, which btw. they can and do.

I have been thinking about who those people are and why they think the way they do, and finally I think I understand.

There is a GENERATION GAP.

I'm going to take you back to a time, that once was and has come to an end in places like Canada. A time before lawyers and crybabies. Back to a time where your mommy and daddy didn't drive you around to clubs and events.

A time where kids played in their own neighbourhoods policed themselves on the playgrounds with no adult supervision. Yeah, that time existed not that long ago.

There was 10 of us or so, we were about 12 years old and we were playing soccer. A bunch (6) of 16-17 year olds came around and they took our ball and told us to get lost. We knew them but being younger didn't hang out with them.

One of our group was bigger and more aggressive, he was our leader and best player the driving force in all the games. That day he challenged one of the older boys and fight erupted, he got some licks in but he was loosing. The older boy had him in a headlock, and was telling him to give up but our guy wouldn't. The moment he was realised he kept coming at the older kid. It didn't matter how badly he got hit he would not give up. Finally, the other older boys stepped in and separated the two.

They gave the ball back and left. We stayed on the playground and kept playing.

A few hours later they came back and said -'let's play'. We split into groups to make it fair. From that day on we weren't picked on and not just by those guys but anyone else. We had our protection.

It took one guy's bloodied nose and never give up attitude no matter what.

This brings me back to Westgarth and why Hartley put him in the game. Westgarh had to face his nemesis, because he is a 'gunfighter' and has no choice. Hartley, understands what it is like and he knows what it does for the team. Yeah, Westgarth played a big role in this win.

You can criticize as much as you want but the players felt it and coach knew it.

Cheers

The gap you are referring to is an education gap. A few years in school will teach you that bravery is smart, bravado is dumb. That is why as sports have learned the real meaning of getting your bell rung and have seen people die young and commit suicide, that they are changing the game. That said, Westgarth is highly educated and chooses to be a tough guy. That is very, very rare but admirable.

Avatar
#71 Burnward
March 23 2014, 10:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
8
props

@Derzie

Maybe Westgarth made an educated decision weighing his skill set against potential earning power.

Not a whole lot of jobs out there paying what he makes a year.

Avatar
#72 Franko J
March 23 2014, 10:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
herringchoker wrote:

Hey Guys, I was at the Halifax mooseheads games this weekend and had a good look at Nik Ehlers. Kid is awesome. Looks like Drouins clone. Kid was dangerous every time he touched the puck and man can he skate. He's not afraid to go to net and has very soft hands. He is the real deal. He will be the sleeper in this draft.

Outside of the obvious top 10 picks I have been following some dark horses in the first round and Nikolaj Ehlers had impressed me as well. Comparison for me is Parise. Right now the hottest Flame may not be the biggest guy on the ice, but his heart, skill, hockey smarts and speed are direct correlation to the team winning. Ehlers would be great fit for the Flames. Honourable mention: Jared McCann

Avatar
#73 Franko J
March 23 2014, 10:47PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
18
props

The best part of last night was Matt Stajan. Here is a player who was a few years ago by many Flames would have traded for a bag of pucks and a few broken sticks. Now through the toughest adversity and tragedy he symbolizes why giving up or giving in is not an option or excuse for this team. A classy player who wears the Flaming "C" with pride.

Avatar
#74 TheoForever
March 23 2014, 10:49PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
3
props

@ Derzie

"The gap you are referring to is an education gap. A few years in school will teach you that bravery is smart, bravado is dumb....."

Life teaches you those lessons, not school.

School if you choose it right, will give you tools to use in life to make a living.

Some people need school and some don't.

Avatar
#75 Robert Johnson
March 24 2014, 09:02AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
6
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Take the fallacious arguments elsewhere please. They don't aid discussion in the least.

WTF does fallacious mean?

Avatar
#76 mk
March 24 2014, 09:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props

I think there should be an 8-part follow up series about this game: "Flames vs. 8ilers: A goal-by-goal review". Mentally, I'm not done with this. :)

Is the bet where Flames Nation gets to write the GDT for the next game still going? If so, this next GDT better be one for the ages!

Avatar
#77 Levi
March 24 2014, 04:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
hockeydoofus wrote:

For all you guys that criticize McGratten, Westgarth, etc., how many NHL games have you played, how many NHL goals have you scored and how many NHL heavyweights have you fought. Yea, right.

Didn't realize that a person had to play in the NHL to have an opinion about their favourite hockey player. I guess since I've never been prime minister I should vote in an election. Mcgratten is awesome, he's an amazing fighter, doesn't make very many mistakes and is a great guy. Westgrath on the other hand makes many very bad mistakes, can hardly fight and is a detriment to the flames in every way.

Avatar
#78 EugeneV
March 25 2014, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
suba steve wrote:

When are they gonna finally start giving points (in the standings) for positive Corsi results and scoring chance count (and Fenwick). Stupid NHL.

LOL

Avatar
#79 EugeneV
March 25 2014, 04:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
TheoForever wrote:

Once in a while someone comes along and starts criticizing enforces and fighting. Those people make empty statements about lack of evidence to support the claim that enforces can change the outcome of a game, which btw. they can and do.

I have been thinking about who those people are and why they think the way they do, and finally I think I understand.

There is a GENERATION GAP.

I'm going to take you back to a time, that once was and has come to an end in places like Canada. A time before lawyers and crybabies. Back to a time where your mommy and daddy didn't drive you around to clubs and events.

A time where kids played in their own neighbourhoods policed themselves on the playgrounds with no adult supervision. Yeah, that time existed not that long ago.

There was 10 of us or so, we were about 12 years old and we were playing soccer. A bunch (6) of 16-17 year olds came around and they took our ball and told us to get lost. We knew them but being younger didn't hang out with them.

One of our group was bigger and more aggressive, he was our leader and best player the driving force in all the games. That day he challenged one of the older boys and fight erupted, he got some licks in but he was loosing. The older boy had him in a headlock, and was telling him to give up but our guy wouldn't. The moment he was realised he kept coming at the older kid. It didn't matter how badly he got hit he would not give up. Finally, the other older boys stepped in and separated the two.

They gave the ball back and left. We stayed on the playground and kept playing.

A few hours later they came back and said -'let's play'. We split into groups to make it fair. From that day on we weren't picked on and not just by those guys but anyone else. We had our protection.

It took one guy's bloodied nose and never give up attitude no matter what.

This brings me back to Westgarth and why Hartley put him in the game. Westgarh had to face his nemesis, because he is a 'gunfighter' and has no choice. Hartley, understands what it is like and he knows what it does for the team. Yeah, Westgarth played a big role in this win.

You can criticize as much as you want but the players felt it and coach knew it.

Cheers

Amen

Avatar
#80 EugeneV
March 25 2014, 05:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Robert Johnson wrote:

WTF does fallacious mean?

I am assuming it is an adverb of "fallacy"

Comments are closed for this article.