A Look Inside One-Goal Games

Ryan Pike
April 18 2014 10:04AM

One of the biggest rallying cries for how the Flames have improved over the season, at least in terms of their work ethic, has been the sheer amount of one-goal games they've taken part in this past season. In fact, the Flames played in 49 games decided by a goal, tying the NHL record.

But how did all these one-goal games come about? And what does the record really mean?

ONE-GOAL WINS

The Flames won 25 one-goal games. Splitting them up into third period scenarios, you get this:

  • Twice, the Flames led by two after 40 and prevented a full comeback (but let them get close).
  • Twice, the Flames led by one after 40 and shut down opponents in the third.
  • Twice, the Flames led by one after 40 and scored enough to maintain the lead.
  • Seven times, the Flames led by one after 40, blew the lead, but won in OT/shootout
  • Four times, the Flames were tied after 40 and won the game outright in the third.
  • Four times, the  Flames were tied after 40 and won the game in OT/shootout.
  • Most impressively, four times the Flames trailed by two after 40, but won the game (granted, three times that was in a shootout).

    ONE-GOAL LOSSES

    • Three times, the Flames led by one after 40 and blew the lead.
    • Two more times, they blew the lead but lost in OT/shootout and at least got a point.
    • Six times, the Flames entered the third tied and lost the game.
    • Three more times, they lost in OT/shootout after being tied through 40 minutes.
    • Three times, the Flames entered the third down by one and couldn't close the gap.
    • One other time, they did close the gap but lost in the shootout.
    • Four times, the Flames trailed by two and made it a one-goal game.
    • One other time, they trailed by two, forced OT but lost.
    • Once, they trailed by three goals after 40 and nearly came back to tie it.

    SO?

    A few take-aways.

    • The term "blew the lead" appears too much here (12 times). One-goal leads were rarely safe for this group, which obviously needs to change. Multi-goal leads were rarer, but much safer.
    • The team had mixed results when tied heading to the third: eight wins, nine losses (three in OT). Good teams win in the third.
    • But hey, the team's "never say die" attitude is evident here: 10 comebacks from two-goal deficits, with half of them resulting in the team getting points (and the other five being a 27th-place team making it close).

    In summation, the "49 one-goal games" record both praises and condemns the Calgary Flames. They had a lot of comebacks, but they also weren't fantastic with third-period leads.

    51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
    Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
    Avatar
    #51 prendrefeu
    April 18 2014, 06:18PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    6
    props

    @Stubblejumper

    "Have fun trolling..:)"

    Honestly even thinking about them is a waste of time. To go over to their blog and take any effort beyond the processing of three atoms of oxygen through my lungs just to make that fallacy of a franchise even more psychologically unstable is another level of time wasting entirely.

    They can dig their own hole. They don't need our help.

    Avatar
    #52 Primo
    April 18 2014, 06:19PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    4
    props

    @TheoForever

    As much as I would like it to be Bennett at #4 I believe you may be correct. I have always thought the Flames will have a decision to make between Draisitl and Dal Colle.

    Avatar
    #53 beloch
    April 18 2014, 06:19PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    7
    props

    @coachedpotatoe

    Hudler really had a remarkable year and, since he's on a reasonable contract, his trade-value is excellent. When that contract was inked many thought it was a bad one. To trade him now would, in all likelihood, be selling high. He's definitely a candidate for what Burke calls a "hockey trade". By giving up a very useful player the Flames can get a very useful player in return, but one who fits a different role. The Flames now have obscene depth at LW so it makes sense for Burke to dangle Hudler in the market and see what bites. Russel is another player worth dangling. He's not good enough to be a second-pairing defender, but a team looking for an offensively gifted third-pairing defender and powerplay specialist might offer something nice for him.

    The Flames have several players who had very disappointing seasons and, if they were traded now, would bring back disappointing returns. David Jones is a RW'er so he's unlikely to be traded this summer. Wideman will help round out the second pair if he rebounds, so he definitely has a role to play. Glencross, since he plays LW, is probably the most likely to be traded, but I doubt he'll be going anywhere until closer to next season's trade deadline. His NMC does mean he'll probably have to go to a cup contender. He'll be 32 and likely willing to go cup chasing. Smid is another player who I think will rebound and be worth more next season than he is now, although that isn't really saying much.

    Backlund and Giordano are not likely going anywhere unless the return is obscene. McG is probably not going anywhere because he's just not worth that much in trade. He's cheap, good for the locker-room, and probably close to retirement. Hopefully he'll spend a little more time in the press box next season. As I said before, I wouldn't mind seeing him stick with the Flames in a non-player role either.

    Avatar
    #54 Primo
    April 18 2014, 06:46PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    3
    props

    @TheoForever

    Exactly!! So then it will have to be Dal Colle in my view.

    Wonder if anyone can substantiate the apparent strong desire of the Oilers to draft Draisitl??

    Avatar
    #55 Stubblejumper
    April 18 2014, 06:48PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    7
    props
    TheoForever wrote:

    I have the same feeling and unfortunately one of those 2 could be a bust.

    While Dal Colle looks like a nice player he's a half-step down per the scouts, and he's LW where we have a log-jam.

    I can't think that Burke would take the risk to jump out of sequence for a winger instead of taking big Draisaitl and building strength down the middle which is the hardest along with top 2 Defenders..

    If you look at the video you'll see Draisaitl is a big thick body who can cycle it down low, hold off defenders while one-handing the puck, turn on a dime, is a fantastic assist machine with great vision and nifty touch passes..AND who has an NHL caliber wrist shot, is fast and can score off the rush.

    Size, skating and skill..Draisaitl has it all.

    Avatar
    #56 Primo
    April 18 2014, 06:57PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    4
    props

    @Primo

    In addition Dal Colle was simply outstanding at the young stars tourney in Calgary. I like his size and will easily put on another 10 lbs before turning pro. He has also played Centre and has been very effective.

    Draisaitl appears to be the riskier pick but no doubt is talented. I like the Flames scouting staff and with Burke's input they will make the right decision based on detailed fact and analysis not available to the ordinary fan.

    Avatar
    #57 Chambers
    April 18 2014, 07:01PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    0
    props

    @Stubblejumper

    Can you provide more content around your comment regarding Draisaitl skating ability?

    From my limited view that appears to be a concerning area for me.

    Avatar
    #58 T&A4Flames
    April 18 2014, 07:08PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    7
    props
    Stubblejumper wrote:

    For Flames fans interested, there's a LOT of fear over on Oilersnation about what Calgary is going to get, what it's going to look like if the Flames players does better, the impact on the BoA etc.

    75% of the talk surrounds wanting to take Bennett over Draisaitl just so Calgary can't get him, but fussing over the fact Bennett is similar to the rest of their core while Draisaitl is thick and can work the puck down low.

    Have fun trolling..:)

    Yea I was over reading up earlier. I like that they are more concerned about what not to leave us than what actually makes them better.

    Avatar
    #59 Chambers
    April 18 2014, 07:09PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    3
    props
    Stubblejumper wrote:

    While Dal Colle looks like a nice player he's a half-step down per the scouts, and he's LW where we have a log-jam.

    I can't think that Burke would take the risk to jump out of sequence for a winger instead of taking big Draisaitl and building strength down the middle which is the hardest along with top 2 Defenders..

    If you look at the video you'll see Draisaitl is a big thick body who can cycle it down low, hold off defenders while one-handing the puck, turn on a dime, is a fantastic assist machine with great vision and nifty touch passes..AND who has an NHL caliber wrist shot, is fast and can score off the rush.

    Size, skating and skill..Draisaitl has it all.

    Fyi..ISS top 30 has Dal Colle rated #3 and Draisaitl rated #6. Just one of many rating agencies I know.

    Avatar
    #60 coachedpotatoe
    April 18 2014, 07:13PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    3
    props
    beloch wrote:

    Hudler really had a remarkable year and, since he's on a reasonable contract, his trade-value is excellent. When that contract was inked many thought it was a bad one. To trade him now would, in all likelihood, be selling high. He's definitely a candidate for what Burke calls a "hockey trade". By giving up a very useful player the Flames can get a very useful player in return, but one who fits a different role. The Flames now have obscene depth at LW so it makes sense for Burke to dangle Hudler in the market and see what bites. Russel is another player worth dangling. He's not good enough to be a second-pairing defender, but a team looking for an offensively gifted third-pairing defender and powerplay specialist might offer something nice for him.

    The Flames have several players who had very disappointing seasons and, if they were traded now, would bring back disappointing returns. David Jones is a RW'er so he's unlikely to be traded this summer. Wideman will help round out the second pair if he rebounds, so he definitely has a role to play. Glencross, since he plays LW, is probably the most likely to be traded, but I doubt he'll be going anywhere until closer to next season's trade deadline. His NMC does mean he'll probably have to go to a cup contender. He'll be 32 and likely willing to go cup chasing. Smid is another player who I think will rebound and be worth more next season than he is now, although that isn't really saying much.

    Backlund and Giordano are not likely going anywhere unless the return is obscene. McG is probably not going anywhere because he's just not worth that much in trade. He's cheap, good for the locker-room, and probably close to retirement. Hopefully he'll spend a little more time in the press box next season. As I said before, I wouldn't mind seeing him stick with the Flames in a non-player role either.

    Much of my comment was who makes up the core of the team. As much as I like Hudler and see him as great mentor if Burke can get a good to great return for him I would not be upset.

    Russell we just resigned and I am not sure he is a core member as BoobyO said in his post. I'm not sure the return for him will be great and he may be more valuable staying.

    Glencross is indeed an interesting case, he has value both in trade and as leader; his injury problems this year make him a hard case to deal with. His limited NMC is also a concern and will we get a good return.

    I see Burke in talks on both GlenX and Hudler, I'm not sure he will move both. I do expect him to also look closely at the UFA's and based on his Kesler move with the Leafs he is not afraid of RFA's but I suspect a little more cautious.

    It will be an interesting off season. My one concern is without a GM who is he bouncing ideas off of.

    Avatar
    #61 Stubblejumper
    April 18 2014, 07:34PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    1
    props
    beloch wrote:

    I suspect the Oilers won't be using that pick. The club is under intense pressure to improve in the short-term. Packaging their first off with other assets might bring a player back who can help them next season.

    Yeah MacT is in tough and the peasants are wanting to storm the Bastille so lots of talk of trading the pick.

    If that is the case I hope Burke is at least inquiring as to the asking price, and also checking in with FLA/BUF/NYI/WPG etc too. A high price would need to be paid, like it was for the Sedins, but it set that team up for a year.

    Would be a dream to get 2 of the top 4 or 5 picks this year.

    Avatar
    #62 Primo
    April 18 2014, 07:38PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    3
    props

    @coachedpotatoe

    CP....I think Burke is still surrounded by credible people to bounce ideas even without a GM....Todd Button and scouting staff, Kisio, Conroy, Hartley, etc. Most importantly he has an established NHL network and is very influential given his long term presence in the league as a GM and NHL office.

    Avatar
    #63 Stubblejumper
    April 18 2014, 07:38PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    3
    props

    @Chambers

    True...no consensus this year. At the very least it makes it fun to debate for a couple months or so.

    Avatar
    #64 Stubblejumper
    April 18 2014, 07:42PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    2
    props
    Stubblejumper wrote:

    Yeah MacT is in tough and the peasants are wanting to storm the Bastille so lots of talk of trading the pick.

    If that is the case I hope Burke is at least inquiring as to the asking price, and also checking in with FLA/BUF/NYI/WPG etc too. A high price would need to be paid, like it was for the Sedins, but it set that team up for a year.

    Would be a dream to get 2 of the top 4 or 5 picks this year.

    typo...should read "set that team up for 10 years"

    Wish one could edit...:(

    Avatar
    #65 Primo
    April 18 2014, 08:06PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    10
    props

    @BurningSensation

    Good post. Not sure the Flames want to accelerate things for next year given the maturity level of there young talent. I still see next year a critical year for the Flames in terms of player development and astute drafting during a strong draft year. Having said that I see that Burke will make a splash at the 2015 draft table and leave things as they are for 2014 other than perhaps being active in rounds 2-4.

    Trading for a top level goalie and top level Centre will always be on Burkes radar given his history. Will be an interesting 2 years coming up!

    Avatar
    #66 coachedpotatoe
    April 18 2014, 08:23PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    4
    props
    BurningSensation wrote:

    With regards to how the draft might go;

    - If you go over to Lowetide (the only Oiler blog you should ever subject yourself to, also - it's freaking excellent) the commenters there (especially those who have 'contacts' with the team) insist that the Oilers are fixated on two players; Ekblad, and Draisatl. Ekblad because he's BPA (and fits a need) and Draisatl because he's the big-body pivot with playmaking they lack.

    - Personally, I've been very impressed by Draisatl, his skating is at worst average for NHL players (he does lack explosiveness and an elite upper gear), but he gets where needs to OK, and his skillset is otherwise VERY impressive.

    - Both Bennett and Draisatl have essentially similar EV and PP counting stats - there is no edge for either to be found in the numbers. However, Bennett had at least one elite linemate most of the year, whereas the 2nd best player for big Leon was a defenseman - he was doing most of the heavy lifting on his own.

    - There is a significant chance the Oilers simply trade their pick away for immediate help.

    - I suspect that Ekblad and Reinhart (in whatever order) are the top two picks, leaving; Bennett, Draisatl, and Dal Colle as our options. Honestly, I'm happy with any of the three.

    - I can se Burke making a deal to move up to #2 (the #4 + something something) so he can land Reinhart. Burke is kinda bold that way, and if scouting staff insist that Reinhart is worth it Burke will dance as fast as he has to to make it happen.

    - With regards to 'accellerating the rebuild' the only way I could see Burke seriously hitting the accellerator is by landing a #1 C in his prime. There are two possibilities that I see as realistic for this to happen; Erik Staal and Jason Spezza. Both have big contracts and flaws, but both are still on the right side of 30, and both fit the bill of legit #1C with size and skill. You could slot either one immediately on to a top line of vets (Hudler and Cammallleri/Glen X for example) and llet the kids take cherry minutes and mop up duties.

    I'd also suggest that landing either player (depending on the cost) would immediately make the Flames a serious contender for the playoffs.

    Might not signing Stastny as a UFA accomplish the same thing without costing assets? or if you are going to trade for either of them might not RoR be a better option because of his youth and talent.

    I also think they need to add at least one higher level defender to really become a contender.

    Avatar
    #67 BobbyO
    April 18 2014, 08:40PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    8
    props

    @Tommynotsohuge

    Creative ideas but they scare me!

    McPhee does not have a proven track record of success. With Ovechkin as his leader he was not capable of building a champion around one of the most talented players in the world. His teams always seemed to struggle!

    I believe the Flames need a young Niewendyk type and if he is not interested a "talent wizard" who can grow into the managers role under Burkes leadership.

    With regards to the trade we are giving up too much young potential for a proven trouble maker (I acknowledge extremely talented) player!

    Avatar
    #68 Primo
    April 18 2014, 08:43PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    2
    props
    Big Ell wrote:

    I am very happy if Kerr and Simmer are gone. After two years of GameCenter, I think that Simmer if possibly the worst color guy on TV and Kerr is right there too. This is a good day for GameCenter Flames fans.

    Just wondering what are the specific sources for the firings? Or is this just rumour??

    Avatar
    #69 coachedpotatoe
    April 18 2014, 09:21PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    1
    props
    BurningSensation wrote:

    - The Stastny thing is definitely a possibility, but while he doesn't 'cost' in assets, he does 'cost' in terms of the extra cap hit and term you have to give him to win his services. UFAs and RFAs are not 'free' from extra costs.

    - I LOVE your suggestion of going after ROR precisely because he is more versatile, bigger, and defensively responsible than Stastny.

    - I also agree (sort of) with the need for another high-end defender. I think though, that we may already have that guy in-house in Brodie. If he takes another step up the ladder we could have a home-grown Duncan Keith.

    - If you review the Oilers needs, they are pretty obvious; a #2C with size and defensive ability, at least one F for the 3rd line, and likely an entirely new 4th line, a #1, #2, and #3 defender (Marincin might be one of those, but he's played less than half a season in the NHL), and a younger #1 quality goaltender. That is quite the shopping list they need to address.

    In contrast, the Flames need; a #1 C (Monahan might be that guy in a few years, but he isn't right now), a F or two for the 4th line (and please, no Westgarths or McGrattans, I mean actual live hockey players), and a #2 or #3 D man (say a Girardi or Niskanen).

    So landing a Spezza or Staal to fill the #1C role would essentially mark the end of the 'rebuild' as the rest of the pieces are more or less in place (or relatively easy to acquire compared to a #1C). Growth from the kids would take care of the rest.

    Like I said in the other Lambert thread, this 'rebuild' has been going on for a while, and when you look at the gaps we simply don't have that many to fill - especially compared to our frequently high drafting neighbours to the North.

    I get the cost of signing UFA'a but as we have cap space it is worth the look.It's going to cost both money and assets for either Spezza or Staal anyways. I agree with you on Brodie but I was thinking about the need to upgrade the second pairing and you have mentioned a couple of names I have on my list. I'd prefer to look at rolling four lines having some upgrade in a physical skilled presence than having a defined fourth line. one day I will go into details on why I like this so much.

    Avatar
    #70 Big Ell
    April 18 2014, 10:13PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    2
    props
    Primo wrote:

    Just wondering what are the specific sources for the firings? Or is this just rumour??

    These are just FN rumours.

    Avatar
    #72 The Sultan
    April 19 2014, 04:48AM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    14
    props

    Sorry, off-topic; Heat win 3 - 0 behind Rhino's three points (1-2). Poirier also played and scored.

    Avatar
    #73 coachedpotatoe
    April 19 2014, 07:54AM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    2
    props

    Back to our discussion on whether or not Burke blows up the core(BobbyO's words) or not. We have discussed the ideas of trades for players like Spezza or Staal, which will all cost us significant assets beyond the core. So I suggested that if Burke's plan is to significantly upgrade the veteran presence he should look at the UFA's suggesting Stastny as one example. So I thought I would put together a partial list of UFA's with their current salaries for us to hash around until a new thread is created. Here it is

    Center: Stastny $6.6, Legwand $4.5, Lewis $1.3, Boyle $1.7, and Grabowski $3.

    LW(I'm not sure this is need) Winnik $1.8, Moulson $3.2, Vanek $5.75, Mason $1.

    RW: Callahan $4.3, Kulemin $2.8, and Setoguchi $3.8

    Defence: Mesaeros $2,Nikitin $2.1, Quincy $3.8, Fayne $1.3, Strahlman $1.7, Diaz $1.2, Niskanen $2.3, Lee $1.1, and Ranger $1.8.

    These are all in millions just in case anyone thinks I crazy. I compiled this list a couple of weeks ago and some of them may have been signed. I have not included any RFA's but two that I think Burke might be interested in(at least the fan base suggests he might be) RoR and Reimer. Again I'm not saying this list is complete as I have left off all the Flames UFA's intentionally.

    Personally as I have stated before I would be prepared to let the development of our forward ranks stay the same. I would consider the possibilities on the blueline though. One reason I would not blow up the team is the work ethic and chemistry that seems to have been developed this year.

    Avatar
    #74 Howie Meeker
    April 19 2014, 08:11AM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    3
    props

    As Ryan pointed out in the article the flames need to be able to "defend" a lead in the third, to me this all points to upgrading the backend as a priority. The real dark horse here is Dennis Wideman and if he comes back next season and lives up the the billing to quarterback the P/P for a full season. If Burke can add to the d-core and upgrade the goal tending with a legit #1 our path to the playoffs will become a lot brighter.

    Avatar
    #75 coachedpotatoe
    April 19 2014, 08:54AM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    0
    props
    The Sultan wrote:

    Sorry, off-topic; Heat win 3 - 0 behind Rhino's three points (1-2). Poirier also played and scored.

    For a bit more detail go the Heat get reinforcement thread.

    Avatar
    #76 coachedpotatoe
    April 19 2014, 09:00AM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    2
    props
    Howie Meeker wrote:

    As Ryan pointed out in the article the flames need to be able to "defend" a lead in the third, to me this all points to upgrading the backend as a priority. The real dark horse here is Dennis Wideman and if he comes back next season and lives up the the billing to quarterback the P/P for a full season. If Burke can add to the d-core and upgrade the goal tending with a legit #1 our path to the playoffs will become a lot brighter.

    Personally I believe Ram will be better next year. His play over the last quarter of the season strongly suggests that he can be an above average NHL goalie. As Burke seems to be determined to keep Ortio as the starter in the AHL next year(he said as much on garbage bag day0 what has to be addressed is who will be the backup on the Flames and will they be good enough to push Ramo and win games.

    If Widesman returns to form he can be a sound second pairing defender, if not we need to add 2 second pairing guys as the rest are sound 3rd pairing guys.

    Avatar
    #77 T&A4Flames
    April 19 2014, 10:18AM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    17
    props

    This recent talk of accelerating the rebuild by trading some of our young assets for veteran C is kind of annoying me. Would we be talking about this if we didn't exceed expectations this season? Doubtful. I think most of us were settled in and ready for a few years of suck and high picks.i don't think Burke means what you are all talking about in terms of accelerate.moving OUT the vets for young players, prospects and multiple draft picks is what I believe is how things are accelerated. Trading away our young assets to get these aging players is what we used to do and it lead us to mediocrity.

    There will be a time soon enough that we can be looking at doing this but, IMO, not for at least another season. Burke is smart enough to know that he is not just rebuilding the Flames but our AHL affiliate as we; the entire organizational depth. When guys like Baertschi and Gaudreau find permanent spots on the big club then their depth will need to be filled with other young draft picks ready to jump to pro, starting in the A. I would much rather see us stay status quo this year then to go out and grab players that will help reach a mediocre Level of play again because we think we have fewer holes than what actually exists. I hoop whatever targets Burke is looking at are younger,, Maybe not quite fully developed but are close. Guys like Alex Chaisson or Charlie Coyle. I suggested yesterday looking at trying to grab Erik Gudbranson on the cheap yesterday. These are players we should take chances on, again, IMO.

    I would be highly disappointed if made a trade to grab Staal or Spezza at this stage.

    Avatar
    #78 Kevin R
    April 19 2014, 01:55PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    6
    props
    T&A4Flames wrote:

    This recent talk of accelerating the rebuild by trading some of our young assets for veteran C is kind of annoying me. Would we be talking about this if we didn't exceed expectations this season? Doubtful. I think most of us were settled in and ready for a few years of suck and high picks.i don't think Burke means what you are all talking about in terms of accelerate.moving OUT the vets for young players, prospects and multiple draft picks is what I believe is how things are accelerated. Trading away our young assets to get these aging players is what we used to do and it lead us to mediocrity.

    There will be a time soon enough that we can be looking at doing this but, IMO, not for at least another season. Burke is smart enough to know that he is not just rebuilding the Flames but our AHL affiliate as we; the entire organizational depth. When guys like Baertschi and Gaudreau find permanent spots on the big club then their depth will need to be filled with other young draft picks ready to jump to pro, starting in the A. I would much rather see us stay status quo this year then to go out and grab players that will help reach a mediocre Level of play again because we think we have fewer holes than what actually exists. I hoop whatever targets Burke is looking at are younger,, Maybe not quite fully developed but are close. Guys like Alex Chaisson or Charlie Coyle. I suggested yesterday looking at trying to grab Erik Gudbranson on the cheap yesterday. These are players we should take chances on, again, IMO.

    I would be highly disappointed if made a trade to grab Staal or Spezza at this stage.

    Agreed, all this talk about Spezza & Staal & even Kane sounds wonderful but hardly the path this team should take at this time. What I would like to see:

    1/Next year, I want to see roster opening for Gaudreau & Sven on the big team. I know many argue JG should spend 1 year in the AHL, I'm not an advocate of that because my belief JG is ready to develop at the NHL level just like Money did.

    2/I would like to see what it would take to get that Florida or Buffalo pick without giving up our 4th over all. Getting Ekblad & Bennett or Draisaitl would be huge moving forward for this team. Not sure if either of these teams would find a package of Hudler & 2 very good NHL ready prospects like Granlund & someone else is enough or attractive enough, but that would be along the lines of the only major splash we should do.

    3/Otherwise, keep the course. Next year is going to be a win win for us. If we do well & out of the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, it means our young kids have made huge steps again. Then we talk about pieces of what it would take to challenge for playoffs. If they digress & we have a poor year, we have a potential future franchise player to slot in at the 2015 draft.

    1 more year before this kind of talk. 1 more year & our top 9 forwards will look so much different than last year with hope turning to anticipation.

    3/ Do not resign Cammi, let him go

    Avatar
    #79 coachedpotatoe
    April 19 2014, 05:47PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    2
    props
    T&A4Flames wrote:

    This recent talk of accelerating the rebuild by trading some of our young assets for veteran C is kind of annoying me. Would we be talking about this if we didn't exceed expectations this season? Doubtful. I think most of us were settled in and ready for a few years of suck and high picks.i don't think Burke means what you are all talking about in terms of accelerate.moving OUT the vets for young players, prospects and multiple draft picks is what I believe is how things are accelerated. Trading away our young assets to get these aging players is what we used to do and it lead us to mediocrity.

    There will be a time soon enough that we can be looking at doing this but, IMO, not for at least another season. Burke is smart enough to know that he is not just rebuilding the Flames but our AHL affiliate as we; the entire organizational depth. When guys like Baertschi and Gaudreau find permanent spots on the big club then their depth will need to be filled with other young draft picks ready to jump to pro, starting in the A. I would much rather see us stay status quo this year then to go out and grab players that will help reach a mediocre Level of play again because we think we have fewer holes than what actually exists. I hoop whatever targets Burke is looking at are younger,, Maybe not quite fully developed but are close. Guys like Alex Chaisson or Charlie Coyle. I suggested yesterday looking at trying to grab Erik Gudbranson on the cheap yesterday. These are players we should take chances on, again, IMO.

    I would be highly disappointed if made a trade to grab Staal or Spezza at this stage.

    While I mostly agree with you I don't think Burke does. I believe his mandate is get this team back into the playoffs (at least into the hunt) ASAP. I hope I'm wrong but that is not my read of him.

    Personally upfront I like the potential of Monahan. Backs, Bouma, Colborne,Johnny, Granlund, Sven, Rhino, Knight, Arnold, Poirier,Ferland and Klimchuk and while I'm not convinced that any of them will be generational elite I believe they all can be NHL forwards and more than a few will be high end. Add the veteran presence of Glenx,Hudler, and Stajan and this can be competitive. I am not as comfortable with the future on defense. The Flames have a sound top pairing Gio and Brodie and a group of other vets who are IMO third pairing guys, unless Wides returns to form. The young guys include Spoon who right now is another third pairing guy and really after that Billins and Cundari who are both undersized. The rest including Sieloff are unproven and boy do I hope he gets healthy and then we can worry about him and hockey. Kanzig,Kulak, Culkin and Roy are all a long ways off.

    Avatar
    #80 Nummin
    April 21 2014, 09:59AM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    0
    props

    I have a hard time believing we will have a shot at a top 5 pick next year, even with Cammy on the way out, as long as Ramo maintains his year end play and our young guys progress a bit. The obvious goals for the team next year are to be better, they will, and develop the young guys (with the flames or with the heat).

    The holes on the flames should be filled by the Heat players we feel should be ready to make the jump (Sven, Rhino, Knight, Granlund), but bring in 1-2 of the right UFAs to make them fight for their spot (perhaps Boyle if the price/term are reasonable). But a Dman is a huge need through UFAs. The guys who just finished junior/college and drafted this year should spend a year with the heat.

    Without some serious dealing by Burke and some position shuffling there's gonna be a lot of guys we want to be with the Flames end up with the Heat (a good thing).

    Avatar
    #81 King Quong
    April 23 2014, 03:07PM
    Trash it!
    0
    trashes
    Props
    0
    props
    BurningSensation wrote:

    With regards to how the draft might go;

    - If you go over to Lowetide (the only Oiler blog you should ever subject yourself to, also - it's freaking excellent) the commenters there (especially those who have 'contacts' with the team) insist that the Oilers are fixated on two players; Ekblad, and Draisatl. Ekblad because he's BPA (and fits a need) and Draisatl because he's the big-body pivot with playmaking they lack.

    - Personally, I've been very impressed by Draisatl, his skating is at worst average for NHL players (he does lack explosiveness and an elite upper gear), but he gets where needs to OK, and his skillset is otherwise VERY impressive.

    - Both Bennett and Draisatl have essentially similar EV and PP counting stats - there is no edge for either to be found in the numbers. However, Bennett had at least one elite linemate most of the year, whereas the 2nd best player for big Leon was a defenseman - he was doing most of the heavy lifting on his own.

    - There is a significant chance the Oilers simply trade their pick away for immediate help.

    - I suspect that Ekblad and Reinhart (in whatever order) are the top two picks, leaving; Bennett, Draisatl, and Dal Colle as our options. Honestly, I'm happy with any of the three.

    - I can se Burke making a deal to move up to #2 (the #4 + something something) so he can land Reinhart. Burke is kinda bold that way, and if scouting staff insist that Reinhart is worth it Burke will dance as fast as he has to to make it happen.

    - With regards to 'accellerating the rebuild' the only way I could see Burke seriously hitting the accellerator is by landing a #1 C in his prime. There are two possibilities that I see as realistic for this to happen; Erik Staal and Jason Spezza. Both have big contracts and flaws, but both are still on the right side of 30, and both fit the bill of legit #1C with size and skill. You could slot either one immediately on to a top line of vets (Hudler and Cammallleri/Glen X for example) and llet the kids take cherry minutes and mop up duties.

    I'd also suggest that landing either player (depending on the cost) would immediately make the Flames a serious contender for the playoffs.

    I would love if we could snag Eric Staal even though he makes 8 mill.

    Comments are closed for this article.