Weekend Open Thread: Faceoffs!

Ryan Pike
April 19 2014 09:49AM

One of the things the Calgary Flames have struggled with - massively - over the past several years is face-offs. They have been reliably, almost epically bad.

• 2013-14: 46.2% (30th)
  • 2012-13: 46.6% (28th)
  • 2011-12: 46.2% (30th)
  • 2010-11: 48.2% (24th)
  • 2009-10: 48.0% (28th)

And these numbers have persisted despite the team over-hauling their coaching staff and most of their players.

Sean Monahan told me that one of the ways he charts his development is that a good game, for him as a two-way center, is one where he wins more than half of his face-offs. So I tracked to see which of the team's regular centers had the most "good games" by this measure.

• Mikael Backlund: 29 of 76 games [38.1%]
  • Matt Stajan: 24 of 63 games [38.1%]
  • Sean Monahan: 22 of 75 games [29.3%]

The fourth center spot bounced around a lot last year. Guys who were in that spot included Ben Street, T.J. Galiardi, Lance Bouma, Joe Colborne, Blair Jones, Corban Knight and Bill Arnold. Street was probably the best face-off guy of the bunch.

If Monahan can progress a bit and perhaps somebody emerges from the pack of young centers in Abbotsford to become a regular in Calgary, that could go a long, long way towards making the Flames be less terrible at face-offs.

Because they're pretty awful right now, and have been for a few years.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
#51 Burnward
April 20 2014, 10:25AM
Karimeeloranta wrote:

We should have only brash Americans take face offs. Canadians are far too polite. 2014 looked like a Chinese fire drill in the circle. If we draft Drasaitl, he will be extremely efficient at whatever he does, well, because he is German, and just likes the uniform. Ramo is Finnish, prone to waves of bipolar winter vodka kipper madness unless we give him long summers to smoke black cigarettes in the Suomi sauna.

Coulld we lay off the political correctness? We all grew up on Don Cherry after all. What separates this blog from the rest is the freedom for debate, who wants to read the same opinions over and over again? If things get a bit off colour, it self corrects itself in the comments that follow...

Racist.

#52 Jeff In Lethbridge
April 20 2014, 01:35PM

i wonder if edmonton wont want our pick for one of their top 4 rookies... Burke gets a rookie thats closer to peaking and edmonton get 2 in the top 5, and create a little butt cover for giving out the unearned contracts that sufdenly look like anchors given their recent lack of progress and so many holes to fill

#53 loudogYYC
April 20 2014, 02:29PM

Guys you can't get bent out of shape over WW's hockey opinions. He's repeatedly suggested trading Backlund to Detroit for Abdelkader and he's legitimately convinced Max Reinhart is no good. Every fan's entitled to an opinion but not every fan knows what they're talking about.

I'll be paying close attention to face off stats next season as the Flames have never had this much prospect depth at centre and there's nowhere to go but up with this team stat.

#54 exsanguinator
April 20 2014, 02:55PM

The Heat will be playing the Griffins in the first round. Anyone who follows the AHL closely have any predictions for how this is going to go?

#55 Primo
April 20 2014, 03:25PM
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

If anything I think it would be the other way around with Edmonton trading there pick to the Flames for some immediate defensive help. There fans and everyone else are desperate to start showing results and having to wait 2-3 years before these rookies make an impact will be a tough sell up north.

Unlikely anything will happen either way between these teams.

#56 The Sultan
April 20 2014, 03:50PM
exsanguinator wrote:

Grand Rapids is the farm team of Detroit, and we all know how good they are at developing quality prospects. From what I've picked up the Griffins are one of the better AHL teams, definitely not going to be a walk in the park for Abbotsford.

#57 xploD
April 20 2014, 05:19PM

@The Sultan

Lucky part is most of their good players are playing up with the big club, as long as they don't get swept they should be gone long enough for us to do the job. :)

#58 Stan
April 20 2014, 05:39PM
Walter White wrote:

So you think all Reinhart is worth is a bag of pucks.......our record setting point scorer in Abby AND "one of our more skilled prospects"...... And all Burke is able to get for him is a bag of pucks?

Sadly; I agree with you...........maybe someone will overpay; after all he is a Reinhart....

As for the mother jokes; weak... Especially (given your age), it is actually quite possible that I dropped a load in YOUR mother back in the day in one of my drunken episodes.....was she hot back then?

Happy Easter.....

WW

You must have missed the part where I clearly wrote "/sarcasm". Or you just don't know what that word means, which (based on the level of intelligence that you have demonstrated in your previous posts) wouldn't surprise me in the slightest! In reality, I would never trade Reinhart for a bag of pucks. He is an asset, and a valuable one at that. But I'm finally realizing why you can't comprehend that! Sub-par intelligence and all.

Additionally, I thoroughly enjoy how you call my "your mom" jokes "weak" and then go on to make one yourself! Looks like you find them funny as well, no? Oh, and speaking of which, how exactly do you pretend to know my age? For all you know I'm older then you buddy-ol-pal! Good effort though! Better luck next time.

And I'm sorry, but i just HAVE to say this one last thing. You do realize that its COMPLETELY unnecessary to write your signature at the end of every post? Your name appears at the top of your post... although I guess it is a good way to flag your posts so that everyone knows which ones to skip over! :)

Happy Easter! Happy 4/20! And Happy Birthday Hitler!

#59 Ryan
April 20 2014, 05:41PM

Is anyone else enjoying watching this "Stan" guy absolutely verbally destroy WW as much as I am? God this is hilarious. Keep doing what you're doing STANNN!

*Sits back with popcorn*

#60 Walter White
April 20 2014, 05:52PM
Ryan wrote:

*Sits back with popcorn*

Did you also enjoy the "happy birthday Hitler" reference?

WW

#61 Walter White
April 20 2014, 05:56PM
Stan wrote:

Happy Easter! Happy 4/20! And Happy Birthday Hitler!

NAZI!!!

WW

#62 Walter White
April 20 2014, 06:01PM
Stan wrote:

Happy Easter! Happy 4/20! And Happy Birthday Hitler!

"Happy birthday Hitler"?????!!!!!

I hope all you "Stan" supporters are proud of yourselves.......

WW

#63 Baalzamon
April 20 2014, 06:20PM

@exsanguinator

Tough draw for the Heat. On the plus side, Nyquist, Jurco, and Sheahan were all called up, so they may have a shot.

#64 coachedpotatoe
April 20 2014, 08:20PM
Baalzamon wrote:

The Heat won once, lost twice and lost in SO to Grand Rapids. However both line ups are significantly different. We will have to see how they play. The 5 game series means they will have to be on their game right away.

#65 Jeff In Lethbridge
April 20 2014, 08:49PM
Ryan wrote:

*Sits back with popcorn*

I'm sure you recall that they tried to ban WW for his antics, back when he posed as both WW and a WW imposter, and stirred crap up every day.

Obviously, WW is capable of masking or changing his IP to avoid the ban, but it looks like he is up to the same tricks, fouling this comment section and reducing it to jr high level escapades.

My best guess is that WW an Stan are the same guy... the real question is, what is really wrong with WW? something is off, that's for sure.

the best strategy is to just not feed trolls in general. Maybe they'll get tired of being ignored and join OIler nation, or leafs or 'nucks nation.

#66 dotfras
April 20 2014, 09:10PM

Don't feed the trolls.

#67 Skuehler
April 20 2014, 09:59PM
Walter White wrote:

Happy Easter.....

WW

Inappropriate and irrelevant

#68 Jack
April 21 2014, 02:07AM
Walter White wrote:

"Happy birthday Hitler"?????!!!!!

I hope all you "Stan" supporters are proud of yourselves.......

WW

It was obviously a joke dude... lighten up, my god.

#69 Walter White
April 21 2014, 06:42AM
Jack wrote:

It was obviously a joke dude... lighten up, my god.

@ Jack and Nazi Stan:

Next time your grade 10 social studies teacher starts talking about world war 2 pay attention; you may learn about the tens of thousands of young Canadian soldiers who lost their lives and millions of innocent people world wide who were killed by this idiot.

Great sense of humour you kids have these days..........

WW

#70 Walter White
April 21 2014, 06:59AM
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

Ban someone for speaking out against Nazi lovers......?

Really Jeff???

WW

#71 Ed Wailin'
April 21 2014, 11:42AM

Dear WW,

pull it together dude! seriously, what is your deal? you occasionally make a point that leads me to believe you actually have some resemblance of a brain, but then you never form a full thought. ie your Max Reinhart stance... do you have inside info that we do not? if so, I'd love to hear it!

It's like you have verbal diarrhea compounded with inability to form a cohesive thought. Focus man, and lets hear it, what do you not like about Reinhart?

Also, for the record, Breaking Bad was kinda terrible and you really could have picked a better "bad guy"...

Do you also like Entourage? and wear a fedora?

Yours truly, EW

#72 Justin Azevedo
April 21 2014, 12:39PM

this was rough to read through, guys.

#73 Walter White
April 21 2014, 12:59PM
Justin Azevedo wrote:

this was rough to read through, guys.

Agreed, I'm going to try and clean up my act.

WW

#74 Ed Wailin'
April 21 2014, 01:10PM

@Walter White

Seriously, Thank you!

#75 coachedpotatoe
April 21 2014, 09:07PM
Walter White wrote:

Agreed, I'm going to try and clean up my act.

WW

WW: I wanted to clarify for those who don't know or remember or running disagreement over Rhino and am shocked how this thing got so personal and blown out of wack. If you remember about a year ago you complained that Rhino was called up as he had not done anything at the AHL, I think he was -23 or something and you suggested he had not earned his shot and that he was up with big club because of his name. I replied saying something like as he is a Flames project I'm going to cheer for him anyway and give him a year before you throw him under the bus. Over the course of this season you have commented when he was in a slump and I would always give you a dig when he did something well. I don't think either of us were ever offended by the other ones digs(and if I did offend you that was not my intent.)Personally I don't have a problem with you not liking Rhino that's your choice.(Understand I don't think he will be an NHL superstar but I think he is developing into a positive asset for this team)