End of an Era: Peter Maher to Retire

Ryan Pike
April 28 2014 09:07PM

Longtime Calgary Flames radio voice Peter Maher (who's called Flames games since they arrived in Calgary) is reportedly calling it a career. The Flames and Sportsnet 960 The Fan have jointed called a press conference for tomorrow morning where it's expected that Maher will officially retire.

Maher's been synonymous with the Flames, having called every regular season and playoff game since 1980 (that's 2,536 regular season and 191 playoff games, and goodness knows how many pre-season games). The native of Campbellton, New Brunswick turns 65 in November. He was honoured by the Hockey Hall of Fame with the Foster Hewitt Award in 2006.

To be blunt, Maher's been a fantastic announcer. If you've ever had the opportunity to meet him, you'd probably say he's an even nicer person than he is a good announcer. From all of us here at FlamesNation, we wish the absolute best to the great Mr. Maher in his retirement.

And I think we speak for every Flames fan when we say, we wish you could've kept calling games forever.

Personally, I'll be forever grateful for each and every time Pete took the time to chat with me about life or the game.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
#1 ChinookArch
April 28 2014, 09:18PM

I never saw this coming, and I selfishly wish he wasn't leaving.

Thanks for the memories Pete!

#2 Bean-counting cowboy
April 28 2014, 09:24PM

Thanks Pete! Yaaaaaah Baby! will forever ring in my ears. A true professional and like the article says, an even better person. A retirement well deserved.

#3 Kypreos
April 28 2014, 09:57PM

Truly is the best!

How do you ever fill those shoes?

Please don't let it be Rob Kerr.

#4 TheRealPoc
April 28 2014, 09:54PM

No matter what, no matter who's calling the games, "you can put it in the win column" will always ring in my head after a Flames dub.

Peter was the best. He will be missed.

Yeah Baby.

#5 Colin
April 28 2014, 09:47PM

Really wish he wasn't leaving, but all good things come to end. Gonna miss his voice on my hour long commutes.

Have NO idea how they will replace him, that voice is one for the ages.

#6 xploD
April 29 2014, 12:29AM

Bah. I was born the day they won the Stanley Cup, and I grew up listening to him. My uncle was disabled and couldn't see well, I used to sit in the bedroom with him and listen to the hockey game on the radio every time I came over. I'll miss both of them. :(

#7 Tony
April 28 2014, 09:49PM

Thanks for all the great calls over the years Peter! You will be greatly missed. Whoever replaces you has some mighty big shoes to fill!

#8 skirby09
April 28 2014, 09:51PM

One of the greats! A well deserved retirement.

#9 Skuehler
April 29 2014, 12:13AM

Wow. I remember listening to Peter Maher and Doug Barkley since I was a kid. I used to fall asleep with a small radio under my pillow listening to overtimes and the hotstove lounge. Back when guys like Neil Sheehy and Carey Wilson and Hakan Loob played. Still hearing Peter's voice sounding the same after all these years was a treat. Classy guy. Thank you for the memories Peter Maher.

Wonder if Ryan Pinder will be considered for the position. He's a good play by play guy.

#10 aloudoun
April 29 2014, 03:07AM

I'll never forget when he went ballistic on the radio after winning in overtime in 2004. So many emphatic "Yea Baby" 's.

But please, please, PLEASE don't let Rob Kerr and Loubardias take over.

#11 MontanaMan
April 28 2014, 09:26PM

My heart says "one of the greatest of all time." I can still remember Peter calling the Stanley Cup games and the thrill of listening to his description. No question a hall of famer.

My head says the timing is right. Listening to games this past season, Peter's best days are behind him. He's smart enough to know when it's time to leave. Well done.

#12 Emir
April 28 2014, 10:13PM

Peter Maher was truly a great. I loved the way he called games. Truly special. I'll miss him.

#13 Subversive
April 29 2014, 06:03AM

This is crappy. I can't even guess who they might hire to replace him. Hopefully not Kerr.

#14 prendrefeu
April 29 2014, 10:09AM

Put it in the retirement column?

#15 mamapeggie
April 29 2014, 06:58AM

Peter, I can't imagine listening to Flames games without hearing your voice. I loved the games in the Corral and the Saddledome but you called the games. Peter, you made even boring games exciting. We've travelled many a mile together, I'll really miss you. Enjoy your retirement. ps don't let them put Rob or Peter in your place - they just haven't got the voice!

#16 seve927
April 29 2014, 06:49AM

After the Heat's poor showing in game 2 I didn't think it would be possible to hear any worse Flames news this spring. Saddest day of the year. Peter, enjoy your retirement, you deserve the very best!

#17 MC Hockey
April 28 2014, 10:25PM

Well surprising news and I hope the best for Mr Maher. I had the chance to meet him at a charity event and he was a classy, friendly, and kind man.

#18 Berto
April 28 2014, 11:12PM

He'll be missed. Truly one of the greats of all time.It better not be Rob Kerr as his replacement. Perhaps Peter Lombardius?

#19 Peekin Saprykin
April 29 2014, 08:18AM

I absolutely agree with the notion that he seems like a better person than broadcaster (and he is a legendary broadcaster). I've had the chance to meet him a couple times, and you could clearly see that he is a very nice man, and that he continued to have an incredible passion for his work. I wish him the best and feel sorry for whoever has to follow him. My money is on Kerr, for sure.

#20 mk
April 28 2014, 11:33PM

"You can put it in the win column!!!"

Simply put, a legend in broadcasting. A major loss for the team and the fans - all the best to him in his retirement!

#21 mtgould89
April 29 2014, 09:45AM

It's an end of an era. Hopefully Lou will take over, I always felt he was under appreciated on SN West and this would be a good chance to get him on the right track again. See ya pete! Yeah baby!

#22 Clay
April 29 2014, 12:50PM

I didn't grow up in Calgary, but in a small town in Oiler country. We didn't get TV coverage of Flames games at that time. My best memories as a kid were huddling around the radio in our den, listening to Peter Maher broadcasts with my Dad, or listening to poor 660CFR signals as we drove around to my hockey games and tournaments.

Peter is the best there ever was. I hold him as the true voice of the Flames over Ed Whalen (both great), although that may not be a popular opinion. We used to mute Whalen and pretty much any other play by play man to listen to Pete when we did get to see the games.

Best of luck in retirement Pete.

#23 febreze
April 29 2014, 04:29AM

Will the Flames have to learn how to "put in the win column" all over again now that he's gone. I appreciate his work and became familiar with him as my voice of the Flames when listening to games on the internet after moving abroad.

#24 Stephen
April 29 2014, 11:41AM

I too agree that Peter Maher was the best announcer that called a flames game. However, I take offence to the claim that he is the only to ever call a flames game as the Fan960 wants to claim. The first year the Flames were in Calgary, Bark Daily called the Flames over on QR77, while Peter called the Leafs on the CKO radio network. With CKO going off the air, Calgary became the benefactor by claiming a broadcaster who became the best in modern times. He belongs in the same discussions as both of the Heuits, Foster and Bill.

Good luck Pete in your future endevers.

#25 ?
April 29 2014, 12:52PM

This guy is just an effing beast. Best broadcaster in the history of the NHL

#26 RKD
April 30 2014, 11:40AM

Peter Maher is a legendary broadcaster, the way he calls game makes you actually feel like you are there. He's a very passionate announcer even when the other teams scores goals too. I'll never forget his triple 'Yeah Baby' when we eliminated the Red Wings! Nice to see him living on his own terms, he is irreplaceable.