THE FLAMES FIFTEEN RETURNS

Justin Azevedo
April 29 2014 11:18AM

Welcome back to the Flames Fifteen - this is our 3rd annual ranking of the Flames' prospects.

THE METHODOLOGY

It is thought that a player's 23 year old season is the one where he goes from prospect to NHLer - or, for some, to tweener. Therefore, that is our cut-off line. I asked the evaluators to base their rankings on four things - performance, NHL readiness, age and impact of their position. The weight each judge put into each category was up to them.

We asked our panel to rank every player under 23 in the Flames system as of March 30th (when I sent out the request), with points being awarded to the top 15 - 1 point for their 15th ranked player, and 15 for their 1st ranked player, etc. In the event of ties, the highest overall single ranking prevailed. The panel this year includes myself, Kent Wilson, Ryan Pike, Book of Loob, Christian Roatis, Byron Bader and Taylor McKee.

SEE YA

There are numerous faces who didn't make the cut, graduated or left the rankings.

Not Top-15, but received Top-15 votes:

• Pat Sieloff (16th) - one 15th place vote, one 10th place vote.
  • Mike Ferland (17th) - two 15th place votes, one 14th place vote, one 13th place vote.
  • Coda Gordon (18th) - one 15th place vote, one 14th place vote.

Graduated:

• TJ Brodie (1st last year)
  • Mark Cundari (7th last year)
  • Lance Bouma (8th last year)

Ranked last year but not this year:

• Roman Horak (4th, traded)
  • Laurent Brossoit (10th, traded)
  • Mike Ferland (14th, injured)

We'll have our profile on the 15th ranked prospect up on Thursday. Until then, formulate your own top-15 and play along over the next few weeks.

A9d138d0e612f28cd46f9b7057ed715d
Justin is a 23-year-old Flames fan who also happens to be pursuing a double major at the University of Calgary. He has played hockey at high levels, enjoys wearing shorts and tends to drink far too much Grasshopper. Please don't hate him.
#1 Parallex
April 29 2014, 01:08PM

1. Johnny Gaudreau 2. Sven Baertschi 3. Markus Granlund 4. Emile Poirer 5. Jon Gillies 6. Tyler Wotherspoon 7. Joni Ortio 8. Corban Knight 9. Morgan Klimchuk 10. Max Reinhart 11. Bill Arnold 12. Ken Agostino 13. Mark Jankowski 14. Brett Kulak 15. Ryan Culkin

If someone is wondering where Monahan is I'd consider him graduated.

#2 Bean-counting cowboy
April 29 2014, 12:01PM

In my opinion:

1. Sean Monahan 2. John Gaudreau 3. Max Reinhart 4. Sven Baertschi 5. Tyler Wotherspoon 6. Markus Granlund 7. Emile Poirer 8. Jon Gillies 9. Joni Ortio 10. Corban Knight 11. Bill Arnold 12. Morgan Klimchuk 13. Ken Agostino 14. Mark Jankowski 15. Pat Sieloff

#3 FeyWest
April 29 2014, 11:57AM
Bean-counting cowboy wrote:

Shows how far our prospects have come when Sieloff and Ferland don't even make the cut!

Those 2 are bad examples though as they basically had a write-off year due to injury, they may actually be just as good as our top-15 prospects of 2013/14 so I wouldn't discount them yet.

However, I do get what you are saying and agree I'm excited for the future! Gone are the days that guys like Nemisz are our hope for the future :D

#4 Bean-counting cowboy

12) Knight

13) Agostino

14) Kulak

15) Jankowski

#6 prendrefeu
April 29 2014, 12:31PM

I've got a type five, if that counts.

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Because he spits hot fire. He rhymes and he rips, he rips and he rhymes. When is he going to get a contract? Does he need to start his own team just to get signed? Come on Burke, stop delaying.

#7 Stubblejumper
April 29 2014, 02:02PM

Regarding D prospects, given the D pool is poorer than in relation to forwards perhaps it would be nice to have a separate top 10 vote for Defencemen to bring focus to this area.

My top 10 D prospects at age 23 would be: 1) Wotherspoon 2) Sieloff 3) Kulak 4) Culkin 5) Kanzig 6) Rafikov 7) Roy 8) Gilmour 9) Billins 10) Cundari

Not an especially strong list. Would be great to see if a turnaround in quality similar to what we have seen with the forwards could be effected within the next 2 years, with up to 3-4 Top 3 D prospects being developed in the system.

#8 Dave
April 29 2014, 12:20PM

@Bean-counting cowboy

This just emphasizes the Flames excellent forward prospects but lack of D prospects.

not that it's a huge problem right now and it can be addressed.

#9 theCalgaryJames
April 29 2014, 12:57PM
Robear wrote:

I see your opinion, and raise you MY opinion:

1. Sean Monahan 2. Markus Granlund 3. The Gaudfather 4. Sven Baertschi 5. Tyler Wotherspoon 6. Joni Ortio 7. Max Reinhart 8. Corban Knight 9. Bill Arnold 10. Pat Sieloff 11. Emile Poirer 12. Jon Gillies 13. Ken Agostino 14. Morgan Klimchuk 15. Mark Jankowski

basically the same list of guys, different order. I'm basing mine off proximity to, and impact at, the NHL level right now. Lots of parity in the 5-10 spots

Only disturbing thing is the dearth of defencemen.

1. Sean Monahan 2. Johnny Hockey 3. Sven Baertschi 4. Markus Granlund 5. Tyler Wotherspoon 6. Joni Ortio 7. Emile Poirer 8. Corban Knight 9. Bill Arnold 10. Jon Gillies 11. Max Reinhart 12. Morgan Klimchuk 13. Pat Sieloff 14. Ken Agostino 15. Mark Jankowski

#10 loudogYYC
April 29 2014, 05:46PM

I like that the official FN list doesn't come out till Thursday, gives us plenty of time to discuss.

My top 15 based on impact at their position, NHL readiness, age and performance:

1-Monahan 2-Gaudreau 3-Baertschi 4-Poirier 5-Granlund 6-Reinhart 7-Wotherspoon 8-Ortio 9-Knight 10-Arnold 11-Klimchuk 12-Ferland 13-Gillies 14-Culkin 15-Jankowski

#12 Robear
April 29 2014, 12:35PM
Bean-counting cowboy wrote:

In my opinion:

I see your opinion, and raise you MY opinion:

Only disturbing thing is the dearth of defencemen.

#13 Stubblejumper

10) Wotherspoon

11) Arnold

12) Knight

13) Agostino

14) Kulak

15) Jankowski

If we are evaluating potential by the time each prospect is 23 yrs old, then I like your list with Poirier at 4, Gillies at 6 and Klimchuk at 8. I would question whether Jankowski could be higher but he is still so far away that he's an unknown.

And yes two things inevitably pop up...Poirier is the only RW (as a left-handed shooter) and few D prospects. No doubt this will be one of Mr Treliving's first order of business as he continues the process of re-shaping the team.

#14 Stubblejumper
April 29 2014, 05:00PM

Of the top 10 teams with the best prospect pools there are several who have D and RW prospects that could be of interest for the Flames.

They are BUF, DAL, NYI, ANA, CLB and DET. FLA has RW but no D. A trade with these teams, whether to move up in the 2014 Draft and/or to add depth prospects, could be good trading partners based on what they have stockpiled.

Also of interest..PHX appears to have less depth across most positions of interest to the the Flames so trading prospect likely won't be happening in the near future.

#15 Walter White
April 29 2014, 06:26PM

Let's put David Wolf on this list (I know he is 24 years old but has not played for the flames).

As of this afternoon; the DEL season is over.

Announce the Wolf signing already Burke.......I mean Treliving!!!!!

WW

#16 coachedpotatoe
April 29 2014, 06:21PM
T&A4Flames wrote:

Baertschi, Granlund, Ortio, Gaudreau, Wotherspoon, Poirier,Reinhart, Knight, Gillies, Klimchuk, Kulak, Arnold, Agostino, Billins, Cundari.

I put a stronger emphasis on experience and showings (small samples) at the pro and most importantly NHL level. HEnce why I have guys like Granlund and Ortio ahead of Gaudreau.

I too agree that Monahan is likely considered graduated.

I too put more emphasis on big picture rather than raw potential but I will keep Monahan on the list for two major reasons; one age (23) was the age mentioned and he still has a fair amount of growth in his body and strentgh to do before he has arrived and secondly because I do fear the sopohmore jinx. Granlund is next as he had the best AHL season before his call up, prior to being injured he looked NHL ready and he has probably been their best forward since he went back down, After that I would go Gaudreau, Sven, Ortio, Wotherspoon, Knight, Rhino as all ready to push for spots on the team during the upcoming season, then Poirier, Arnold, Klimchuk, Agostino, Kulak, Gilles, Jankowski and Kanzig.

#17 T&A4Flames
April 29 2014, 11:44PM
Stubblejumper wrote:

BUF- Armia, DAL- Chaisson, NYI- Colberg?, I think Gudbranson could be had for a bargain, especially if they pick Ekblad. A change of scenery could do him well. What would it take to get any of these guys? I would still give up a lot to get Coyle in a Flames jersey.

#18 FeyWest
April 29 2014, 12:33PM

@Bean-counting cowboy

Couldn't have said it better myself, I may only switch Arnold and Knight around just because I really like Arnold and don't know as much about Knight, but great list! BCC

#19 Jeff Lebowski
April 29 2014, 09:15PM

1.Johnny Gaudreau 2.Sven Baertshci 3.Mark Jankowski 4.Markus Granlund 5.Emile Poirier 6.Max Reinhart 7.Michael Ferland 8.Corban Knight 9.Morgan Klimchuck 10.Kenny Agostino 11.Bill Arnold 12.Tyler Wotherspoon 13.Brett Kulak 14.Joni Ortio 15.Jon Gillies

I'm hoping this year's pick will top the list. I ranked them in terms of offensive ceiling but threw in the goalies cause who knows with goalies - ha!

#20 T&A4Flames
April 29 2014, 04:48PM

I too agree that Monahan is likely considered graduated.

#21 Travel Dude

10) Wotherspoon

11) Arnold

12) Knight

13) Agostino

14) Kulak

15) Jankowski

1) Johnny Hockey 2) Moneyhands 3) Sven 4) Poirier 5) Granlund 6) Arnold 7) Ortio 8) Gillies 9) Wotherspoon 10) Reinhart 11) Knight 12) Billy Hayes (just kidding) 12) Ferland 13) Janko 14) Kulak 15) Agostino

Moneyhands is more established thank JH, but JH has a higher ceiling. Depends on the transition, but I can see Johnny Hockey living up to his name in the NHL. Poirier, Granlund and Sven are all skilled guys, so I think they could be fairly equal in point production in the NHL. Arnold is the wildcard here. He is fairly big and could transition fairly quickly. The other guys will see setady improvement, but they are depth guys mostly. Ferland could still become a Lucic type, and Janko could become a #1C.

#22 SeanCharles
April 30 2014, 02:01PM

1. Monahan 2. Gaudreau 3. Sven 4. Poirier 5. Granlund 6. Ortio 7. Gillies 8. Wotherspoon 9. Reinhart 10. Klimchuk 11. Knight 12. Jankowski 13. Arnold 14. Kulak 15. Sieloff/Agostino

#23 Turd Ferguson
May 02 2014, 10:05AM

1. Monahan 2. Gaudreau 3. Granlund 4. Poirier 5. Ortio 6. Sven 7. Reinhart 8. Wotherspoon 9. Gillies 10. Arnold 11. Ferland 12. Jankowski 13. Knight 14. Klimchuk 15. Sieloff