AHL Board Approves Heat Move To Glens Falls, NY

Ryan Pike
May 05 2014 05:23PM

138px-Abbotsford_Heat.svg

In a move that was preceded by a lot of chatter, the American Hockey League's Board of Governors have approved the move of the Abbotsford Heat to Glens Falls, NY, where they're expected to play in the Glens Falls Civic Center.

The Flames formally announced the board's decision via a press release earlier this afternoon.

Flames GM Brad Treliving released a statement as part of the press release:

“Glens Falls has had a terrific history with the American Hockey League and will be an ideal location and environment for the development of our prospects. When we announced on April 15th our discontinuation of operations in the City of Abbotsford, we had a few options available to us and there was much speculation about Glens Falls. There has been a high level of interest demonstrated to ensure the AHL remains in that market. We look forward to finalizing details and beginning this new partnership.”

More details about the move will be coming in the near future, as (per the release) the Flames still need to finalize their deal with the city. A press conference in Glens Falls in tentatively scheduled for next week.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
#1 Walter White
May 05 2014, 06:02PM

I hope the Ward family don't mind moving to NY.....

WW

#2 prendrefeu
May 05 2014, 06:31PM

Glen Falls Heat?

How about Glen Falls Flames? or Glen Falls Quagmires? "Giggity Giggity, Giggity Goo"

#3 Frank Miron
May 05 2014, 07:31PM

Great ! Only 3 and a half hour drive from here i live ... !

#4 beloch
May 06 2014, 12:25AM

Ironically, Tim Erixon could have spent more time close to NY if he'd stuck with the Flames!

#5 Dave
May 06 2014, 08:49AM

@beloch

where is Tim Erixon these days?

#6 piscera.infada
May 06 2014, 09:05AM

@Dave

Springfield?

Oddly, if he stayed with the Flames, he'd be getting ALL THE ICE TIME!

#7 Dave
May 06 2014, 09:15AM

@piscera.infada

this is why character is important in a hockey player. Not saying it's the be all and end all but it's important to have a team of players that have a good head on their shoulders...

#8 Jeff Lebowski
May 06 2014, 10:47AM
beloch wrote:

Then no Granlund, Wotherspoon and Horak.

How do people think BT/BB are going to structure roster?

-2 scoring lines + 1 energy-checking line + 1 goon line -3 scoring lines + 1 energy/goon line

I want to see a 3 scoring line (I want all the lines to score but that doesn't seem to fit Burke's philosophy) set up.

I think this is how Hartley likes to play (and this point is what concerns me about BT. Is this a potential philosophical divide?). I think his system is about getting all players to make plays and have fun (and be fun to watch!).

I hope Calgary can ice a team that is noticeably faster next year - not just guys who can cover ice defensively by skating well - but guys like Byron who actually push the pace and put teams on their heels.

#9 beloch
May 06 2014, 03:00PM

@Jeff Lebowski

Oh, I agree that the Flames have come out of the Erixon debacle ahead. It's Erixon who lost.

As for team structure... I'd like to see the team be able to roll four lines without getting murdered. Rest makes good players better.

#10 mtgould89
May 06 2014, 05:33PM

Glens Falls Flames? I dunno, Quad City did that, and it’s more of an alliteration… but I don’t really like it when teams start piggy-backing on their higher-ranking affiliate when it comes to naming.

#11 coachedpotatoe
May 06 2014, 06:25PM
beloch wrote:

I totally agree with rolling four lines and have outlined the reasons at least once. With no superstars at this time this team would be the most competitive and do the most development possible by rolling 4 lines.(Basic set up based upon what the organization currently has is: Solid two way centers(we have 4/5 of them currently with different experience and offensive upsides), skilled left wingers(we have again 4/5 smallish skilled players taht fit that mold) and bigger,physical and somewhat abbrassive RW(some have more skills than others)

I'm happy they have a home, hopefully it will be a good fit and that they never go back to sharing an AHL team again. I wonder how much cheaping out in the past in development hurt this organization over the long run. Now we just need to resign Ward who has done an excellent job developing the prospects.A good draft year and the development of the current prospects and things look on the upswing.

#12 Jeff Lebowski
May 06 2014, 09:25PM
beloch wrote:

Quite right, I should have easily deduced that from your original statement.

This team will dress 2 enforcers. I hope we see 3 scoring lines with one being a kid line.

I think a lot of fans want to see the integration of youth but when you look at the org depth chart ..... Which shoes drop?

#13 Baalzamon
May 06 2014, 10:49PM

Yeah I always kind of thought "the Heat" was a really bland name. Hopefully they take the opportunity to go for something more original, intimidating, and exciting.

Of course, it's just as likely we've seen the birth of the Glens Falls Flames

#14 prendrefeu
May 06 2014, 10:53PM

Glens Falls Honey Badgers.

I would buy that sweater. It will have it's place in the drawer next to the RISD Gonads jersey. Go Nads!

#15 Doug
May 07 2014, 05:35AM

I live fairly close to Glens Falls. If history is an indicator, odds are that the team will be called the Adirondack (insert team nickname here) rather than the Glens Falls (insert team nickname here).

#16 Bob Cob
May 07 2014, 12:07PM

How about the Glen Falls Kroy-Wen Dumplings, see what I did there....

Ak-Sar-Ben Knights?!......Dumbasses!!!!