News and Notes - June 16 2014

Ryan Pike
June 16 2014 10:00AM

The 2013-14 season is now over entirely, folks. The hockey calendar officially flips over to the 2014-15 schedule on July 1, but obviously there are a lot of things to touch upon between now and then. Those things include trades, free agency, the draft and buyouts, compliance and otherwise.

BUY-OUTS

Will Calgary, a team that needs to add some money to reach the cap floor, rid themselves of big-ticket deals? Probably not. However, Shane O'Brien made $2 million in the AHL, a far cry from the $75,000 made by everybody else.

If his deal gets buried in the minors again, that does eat up about $1.1 million of NHL cap space. But it could unbalance the Baby Flames (either financially or in the locker room). O'Brien in the AHL isn't a solution for anybody. he's probably the most likely Flame to be bought out.

FREE AGENTS

Bob McKenzie's news isn't shocking. The Flames need veterans and good pros, and Cammalleri ticks those boxes rather well. They also need guys that can drive possession, which Cammalleri has done these past few years. Curtis Glencross' rough last season probably only further Cammalleri's stock in Calgary.

Not so shocking, again, is the issue of term. If you're Cammalleri, you want stability and a pay-day. If you're Brad Treliving, you want some veterans to guide the Monahans and Gaudreaus of the world through the next two or three years, and then you hope to have a team on the cusp that can lure in free agents. Cammalleri probably doesn't want to move his family again. The Flames don't want to get locked into another Dennis Wideman-esque anchor contract.

TRADES

Coburn's 29, has a $4.5 million cap hit. He's 6'5", 220, and unlike say, Chris Breen, he can play hockey at the NHL level. He is, of course, a left-handed shot. Like every defenseman in Calgary's system not named John Ramage.

But he's from the West, is big and (shockingly) mobile, and is probably an upgrade over Chris Butler. His cap hit is pretty decent (for only one more year after this one), and considering the Flyers have six NHLers (including Coburn) signed for next year and a bunch of promising kids waiting in the wings, the asking price probably won't be monstrous.

And who can't wait for the poor play-by-play guys to have to differentiate between Colborne and Coburn?

THE DRAFT

One name to keep in mind in the second or third round of the Draft in two weeks? Ryan Donato.

The Flames have had a renewed scouting presence in New England over the past several years, dating back to before John Weisbrod arrived. Donato's a New England product with a former NHLer for a dad. Ted Donato was a solid depth NHLer, putting up 347 points in 796 NHL games with Boston, the Islanders, Rangers, Ottawa, Anaheim, Dallas, Los Angeles and St. Louis. He bounced around a lot later in his career, ironically after his son was born. No doubt the younger Donato is aware of the realities of continued NHL employment via his father, who now coaches at Harvard.

Coming out of high school, Donato is a big lanky kid with great hands. And he went to Dexter Prep, where he was a year behind Tim "Who?" Harrison, Calgary's sixth rounder last year. He's a project who's committed to Harvard for 2015-16, but with multiple second and third rounders and likely some familiarity with the player, the Flames may be willing to take on a project player with some upside.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
Avatar
#51 DragonFlame
June 16 2014, 10:07PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
5
props

@Howie Meeker

Nah!

We should be talking about Johnny Hockey!

Avatar
#52 TheCalgaryJames
June 17 2014, 12:17AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
12
props
coachedpotatoe wrote:

We condemned Feaster for his almost misses and they added up to him being fired. For me these(not renewing Ward etc) are notches against T/B, if this rumour was true and we had gotten Spezza IMO this would have been of the worst trades in Flames history; Spezza today does not meet any of the Flames needs going forward, (3/$ years ago when we needed a C for IGGY fine but we are a t different stage today). None of them enough to cause them to be fired but it's a trend I'm not happy with.

But there's no concrete evidence it even happened. The ROR offer sheet actually happened and was almost one of the worst moves in team history. How can you say a rumour, something that is basically a hypothetical by a sensationalist rumour monger, is a worrying trend? There's no evidence it even actually happened. In fact based on the circumstantial evidence (ie: flames needs to add salary not lose salary, Spezzas known unwillingness to play for a Canadian team etc...) it's actually HIGHLY unlikely! This is knee jerk flames cynicism. Let's judge BT by what he ACTUALLY does not what Bruce Garioch speculates

Avatar
#53 Baalzamon
June 17 2014, 09:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@TheCalgaryJames

sensationalist

pun intended?

Avatar
#54 theCalgaryJames
June 17 2014, 09:17AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props
Baalzamon wrote:
sensationalist

pun intended?

ummmm…. yeah… totally

Avatar
#55 Kevin R
June 17 2014, 09:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
TheCalgaryJames wrote:

But there's no concrete evidence it even happened. The ROR offer sheet actually happened and was almost one of the worst moves in team history. How can you say a rumour, something that is basically a hypothetical by a sensationalist rumour monger, is a worrying trend? There's no evidence it even actually happened. In fact based on the circumstantial evidence (ie: flames needs to add salary not lose salary, Spezzas known unwillingness to play for a Canadian team etc...) it's actually HIGHLY unlikely! This is knee jerk flames cynicism. Let's judge BT by what he ACTUALLY does not what Bruce Garioch speculates

Totally agree. I am totally for bringing in a contract or 2 to get to the Floor, but asset(s) should be coming too. Not sure what salary dumps are worth these days. I can totally see Calgary making a play for Coburn but we would need to take Vinny & I really don't think Vinny would come to Calgary. There is going to be lots of scenarios speculated about out there, you just cant over react to rumours.

Avatar
#56 the-wolf
June 17 2014, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kevin R wrote:

Totally agree. I am totally for bringing in a contract or 2 to get to the Floor, but asset(s) should be coming too. Not sure what salary dumps are worth these days. I can totally see Calgary making a play for Coburn but we would need to take Vinny & I really don't think Vinny would come to Calgary. There is going to be lots of scenarios speculated about out there, you just cant over react to rumours.

So what other asset along with Mike Richards then?

Avatar
#57 coachedpotatoe
June 17 2014, 06:34PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
0
props
TheCalgaryJames wrote:

But there's no concrete evidence it even happened. The ROR offer sheet actually happened and was almost one of the worst moves in team history. How can you say a rumour, something that is basically a hypothetical by a sensationalist rumour monger, is a worrying trend? There's no evidence it even actually happened. In fact based on the circumstantial evidence (ie: flames needs to add salary not lose salary, Spezzas known unwillingness to play for a Canadian team etc...) it's actually HIGHLY unlikely! This is knee jerk flames cynicism. Let's judge BT by what he ACTUALLY does not what Bruce Garioch speculates

Nor following your logic there is no concrete evidence that it did not take place;whats the old adage"where there is smoke there is fire". Why would a profession journalist risk his reputation by making it up(yes it's the Sun and that is enough said). Regardless IMO if it was anything more than due diligence then it is a mistake. Id Spezza is the answer then they IMO are asking the wrong questions as Spezza is not a short term solution or a long term solution.

Avatar
#58 Kevin R
June 17 2014, 11:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

So what other asset along with Mike Richards then?

Good question. Not sure if I would categorize him as a salary dump, therefore, acquiring Mike may not net another asset but the cost would be very affordable. Would he make the Flames a better team for the next 2-3 years? Probably, but in 2-3 years, you are probably looking at a buyout at that time. He'd be a tough one but not every team has the talent of the LA Kings where Richards drops to the 4th line.

Avatar
#59 Kevin R
June 17 2014, 11:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
coachedpotatoe wrote:

Nor following your logic there is no concrete evidence that it did not take place;whats the old adage"where there is smoke there is fire". Why would a profession journalist risk his reputation by making it up(yes it's the Sun and that is enough said). Regardless IMO if it was anything more than due diligence then it is a mistake. Id Spezza is the answer then they IMO are asking the wrong questions as Spezza is not a short term solution or a long term solution.

You are over reacting, rumours are out on many sights & they are awful, make no sense. Really think about it, how the hell would Garioch actually have known what was said between the Flames & Sens? One thing that is probably true is that they probably talked what the price was & if Calgary was a potential destination with the player. Why would the Flames want Spezza? Lots of reasons, cap floor, potential TDL value, big name veteran to market to Season Ticket Holders. Lots of reasons why they talked, but if unless you were on the conference call, nothing to react the way you are getting upset over nothing.

Avatar
#60 dotfras
June 18 2014, 01:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Mike Richards is still a good player, but that contract is awful.

Apparently Nashville is open to trading their 11th overall pick for a top 6 forward. Do you think Hudler or Glencross + a middling prospect gets it done?

How good would it be to get one of Bennet, Reinhart, Drasaitl Dal Colle AND one of Ritchie, Virtanen, Nylander or Kapanen?

Avatar
#61 theCalgaryJames
June 18 2014, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
coachedpotatoe wrote:

Nor following your logic there is no concrete evidence that it did not take place;whats the old adage"where there is smoke there is fire". Why would a profession journalist risk his reputation by making it up(yes it's the Sun and that is enough said). Regardless IMO if it was anything more than due diligence then it is a mistake. Id Spezza is the answer then they IMO are asking the wrong questions as Spezza is not a short term solution or a long term solution.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/06/17/calgary-flames-gm-takes-issue-with-recent-trade-speculation

there you have it. BT comes out and officially calls the trade rumour 'fiction'.

Comments are closed for this article.