Weekend Open Thread: Draft Week Scenarios

Ryan Pike
June 21 2014 09:00AM

Lads and ladies, we are now less than one week away from the Most Important Draft in Calgary Flames History*.

*- Well, since last year's.

There's a LOT of chatter in hockey circles about movement at the top end of the draft order.

So what happens? I can, with absolutely no insider info, speculate three main scenarios.

FLAMES DRAFT 1ST AND 4TH

Calgary utilizes organizational assets (later picks, prospects, roster players) to trade with Florida in exchange for the 1st overall pick. Calgary drafts 1st and 4th, in a similar manner to the Vancouver Canucks in 1999 Draft selecting 2nd and 3rd. Brian Burke and Brad Treliving are seen by TSN cameras high-fiving, Flames pick Aaron Ekblad and Sam Bennett and the rebuild is fast-tracked. Edmonton weeps.

(There's also a version of this where they trade down to 10th or so and use the assets they get for trading down to get 1st overall also. They draft Aaron Ekblad and one of the second tier guys like Nikolaj Ehlers, Haydn Fleury or Nikolai Goldobin. Edmonton weeps.)

Likelihood: Low.

Why?: The price tag to get 1st overall straight-away would be steep. We're talking next year's 1st rounder and/or a high end roster player. And Sven Baertschi. And other stuff. To get both Sedins, Brian Burke sent Bryan McCabe (who was good then) and a future 1st rounder to Chicago for 4th overall, then flipped that pick with two 3rd rounders for the 1st overall pick, and then traded down to 2nd on the condition Atlanta wouldn't take a Sedin. That's ridiculous, and I'm not sure it can be pulled off again, nor am I sure the Flames have the stomach to part with the assets required to do it.

FLAMES TRADE UP

Calgary takes their 4th overall pick, add a prospect and/or roster asset (Hudler?) and trade them to Florida in order to move up to 1st overall and get Aaron Ekblad. Edmonton weeps.

Likelihood: Low to moderate.

Why?: The price would be lower, and Florida would get a Flames roster player or prospect, as well as one of the top four guys in the draft. Everybody wins. Calgary's defense gets massively upgraded for the future. I'm not 100% sure Calgary does this, though, as the interest around 1st overall may bid the price above what Brad Treliving cares to give. "Hudler and Baertschi and 4th overall? Screw it, we'll see who's left when we pick 4th."

FLAMES STAY PUT

Calgary makes no trades, drafts 4th, picks whoever's left from the vaunted top 4.

Likelihood: Moderate to high

Why?: They don't give anything up and they gain an asset. The bidding war for 1st overall may become stupid, causing the Flames to "settle" for 4th and one of the Sams or Leon Draisaitl.

FLAMES TRADE DOWN

Calgary accepts an offer from a team drafting below them that wants one of the top 4. They get an asset, most likely a second or third rounder, to drop in the draft order.

Likelihood: Moderate

Why?: Remember the bidding war? Well, Calgary could be a beneficiary if someone a team below them covets falls to 4 and that coveting team makes a stupid big offer to get them to move down. And Colorado gave Calgary a second round pick for marginal NHL goaltender Reto Berra, so let's not pretend it's not possible. The Flames' management have mentioned a "top 6" rather than a top 4, and likely they have a liking towards someone like Jake Virtanen, Nick Ritchie or Michael Dal Colle. While they probably like Sam Reinhart more, if somebody gives you a chance to add to your prospect depth and give your scouting and development staff more kicks at the can, you can be convinced to "settle" for Virtanen and a second (for example) rather than Bennett or Draisaitl.

Teams often make foolish decisions when they're on the clock and have their Draft Goggles on.

What do you think is the most likely scenario next weekend?

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's covered the Flames and the NHL since 2010. His work can also be found at The Hockey Writers and The Wrestling Observer.
Avatar
#1 Austin
June 21 2014, 09:45AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
7
props

Great speculative post!! I would love having the Flames get first but I'm sure there is someone else willing to pay more than Hudler+a prospect. I would rather have us just try and add an extra first rounder (top 15) , and keep our 4th overall. I could also see us trading down to somewhere in the 7-10 range and then take Virtanen, because I feel like Burke is in love with the guy! I'd much rather have Virtanen over Ritchie. Either way, it's gonna be an exciting draft!

Avatar
#2 CTibs
June 21 2014, 09:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
14
props

A scenario not mentioned here is the Flames keeping #4 and acquiring a lower 1st round pick. It's not the most likely scenario, but it's still something to consider. There are plenty of teams with mid round picks that want to move down, and the Flames could take advantage of that for an inexpensive price.

Avatar
#3 Baalzamon
June 21 2014, 09:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
10
props

The only thing that scares me about the possibility (apparently very real) of Reinhart falling to 4th is that the Canucks probably go hard after that pick. I'd rather the Flames just kept it with Treliving announcing Reinhart's name on the podium with Burke making this face at Benning & Linden.

Avatar
#4 suba steve
June 21 2014, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
21
props

I just hope that any deal involving the Flames moving their 2015 first rounder is OFF the table (barring an obscene overpay). The reported strength at the top of that draft just seems way more valuable than what the pick might get them in next weeks draft.

Avatar
#5 KingQuong
June 21 2014, 10:20AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
6
props

My ideal scenario would be Either Sam R or Sam B or Ekblad and another top ten ish pick used on Virtanen or Nylander, Maybe package the 2 2nd rounders plus a prospect or roster player maybe both hopefully less and fleece Toronto?

Avatar
#6 Colin.S
June 21 2014, 10:31AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
15
props

I've seen Sportsnet now rate Bennet as the #1 prospect on their draft list. Hopefully with the little bit of negative press that Reinhart got along with all the heaping praise Bennet is currently getting I somehow hope that Reinhart falls to four.

I think that's a perfect test of management. If he falls to four and we don't pick him, something is seriously wrong.

Avatar
#7 Monaertchi Gaudnett
June 21 2014, 10:53AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
6
props

I could see BBBT making a play for the Leaves pick at 8 if Virtanen is still available. Not sure what it would take, but maybe BB can pull one over on Nonis.

Edit: Virtanen or Ritchie.

Avatar
#8 Lordmork
June 21 2014, 10:58AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
10
props

Obviously, the Flames should do whatever nets the team the most/best assets.

I wonder if we're talking to Toronto about Gardiner/Kadri. I keep hearing that Toronto is, if not actively shopping them, then floating their names as trade bait.

Avatar
#9 Jeff Lebowski
June 21 2014, 11:01AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Props
9
props

Will Nick Ritchie be our Tyler Biggs? I think many are getting worried about this.

I'm not. For 2 reasons: 1- I really think the decision is a BT / TB call. I think they are zeroing in on highest offensive impact. Ritchie is a blend, a hybrid - does many things well but much of his appeal doesn't directly impact scoresheet as the top 4 does.

2- So what if they do pick Ritchie? We have no control, why let it bug you?

Besides, Button has done well of late. If he genuinely likes him ( and not because BB likes him) then he might just be a helluva player.

Also, it's blasphemous to take Ritchie seemingly ONLY because the sources people use to form opinion haven't put him there. Who cares? What do they REALLY know? Just look at some past redraft scenarios. Things change.

If Lucic's draft was done over - where does he go? Where would Bowman, Lombardi and BT/BB slot him? Top 3,5,10?

Avatar
#10 Bring Back Tim Hunter
June 21 2014, 11:17AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
8
props

I hope BBBT stay the course. If the flames pick top 4, it looks like they'll land a very good player. With the prospects the Flames have in their system, they should be good soon. Obviously more picks in the first round would be awesome. I just hope Baertschi isn't in play though. It appears that Burky isn't high on him, but I think he is too good to give up on yet.

Avatar
#11 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 21 2014, 11:17AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
5
props

It's Burke that is the wild card here... he clearly does not like to sit on his hands, and prefers to make things happen. All the rumors and speculation around Ritchie has me nervous as well... not because it makes any sense, but because he is Burke's kind of player, and when Burke is dialed in, he will do what he thinks is best.

The issue with trading picks plus players is the salary floor... if we start dropping salaries, we will need to pick up even more salary. Which would mean that a trade involving a higher end roster guy (Hudler, Wideman, Glencross, Cammy) would also need to include the signing of an expensive replacement... a Spezza or ROR type at least.

This would not be a big stretch or surprise with Burke at the helm - to see a series of trades fall quickly like dominoes. this is really his M.O. Move up in the draft and pick up a high caliber player.

Makes it more curious as to what the heck Colorado is doing with ROR - they definitely are playing hardball with him and not playing nice at all, but you can't blame them as ROR has been pretty demanding and self serving himself. But hey, it's a business and you can't blame either side for looking to maximize their options and opportunities.

Back to Burke - I would be most surprised if he takes the route of doing nothing and going with 4th pick and stands pat as is, no tinkering.

Avatar
#12 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 21 2014, 11:20AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
5
props
Bring Back Tim Hunter wrote:

I hope BBBT stay the course. If the flames pick top 4, it looks like they'll land a very good player. With the prospects the Flames have in their system, they should be good soon. Obviously more picks in the first round would be awesome. I just hope Baertschi isn't in play though. It appears that Burky isn't high on him, but I think he is too good to give up on yet.

I just ~HOPE~ BBBT stay the course, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it, given Burke's track record and dislike for sitting on his hands or treading water.

Avatar
#13 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 21 2014, 11:22AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
4
props
KingQuong wrote:

My ideal scenario would be Either Sam R or Sam B or Ekblad and another top ten ish pick used on Virtanen or Nylander, Maybe package the 2 2nd rounders plus a prospect or roster player maybe both hopefully less and fleece Toronto?

GM's all seem to have a penchant for fishing in familiar waters, so a trade with the Leafs would not surprise me.

Avatar
#14 T&A4Flames
June 21 2014, 11:26AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

If the 1st scenario played out, would CGY look to drop down from the 4th OA and regain assets as well as a later top 10 pick.

Kent' slog yesterday speculated BT was trying to acquire another top 10 pick. What realistically would it take to get the 5th OA from the NYI? Hudler/Wideman + later pick?

What teams in the top, say, 12, are more interested in immediate improvement instead of patience through drafting? What's Francis' plan with CAR?

Avatar
#15 Byron Bader
June 21 2014, 11:38AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
4
props

@T&A4Flames

The Islanders gave up their 1st next year. Unless they're moving up I'd say they are off the table as a trading partner for their 1st. The deal would have to be astronomical for the Islanders to move that pick. Hudler, Baertschi, 2015 1st type category. Not worth it.

Avatar
#16 piscera.infada
June 21 2014, 11:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
20
props

@T&A4Flames

Mentioned it before, apparently Nashville is looking to get immediate, established help for #11 overall. Look at their forwards, either of Hudler or Glencross would be an immediate upgrade in their forward ranks (that team was just horrible). They're over a barrel too, if they don't start winning immediately, no one wants to come out to their games, so they likely (and reportedly) don't care too much about prospects. They want a bona fide NHL player. Toss in a second, a third, or two, and make it happen.

That is my most likely scenario. Get another pick at 11, if they want too much don't do it. But that should be the mantra from management - if they can acquire a pick without giving up a lateral asset (ie. Baertschi, #4 overall), then do it.

Avatar
#17 Craig
June 21 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
5
props

I'm worried about management going off the board with the #4, just to add size. At the same time, I would love to see some flamesnation draft profiles on guys like Dal Colle and Nick Ritchie to see if their underlying splits (EV/PP team scoring %) point at them being much worse than the consensus top 4.

I just don't see Edmonton taking Draisaitl over one of the sams, that leaves us picking between: Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Ritchie, maybe Virtanen. So I'm definitely most curious to see a profile on them so I can start hyping myself up for one of them instead of lamenting the loss of a Sam.

Avatar
#18 Jeff Lebowski
June 21 2014, 01:55PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
0
props
piscera.infada wrote:

Mentioned it before, apparently Nashville is looking to get immediate, established help for #11 overall. Look at their forwards, either of Hudler or Glencross would be an immediate upgrade in their forward ranks (that team was just horrible). They're over a barrel too, if they don't start winning immediately, no one wants to come out to their games, so they likely (and reportedly) don't care too much about prospects. They want a bona fide NHL player. Toss in a second, a third, or two, and make it happen.

That is my most likely scenario. Get another pick at 11, if they want too much don't do it. But that should be the mantra from management - if they can acquire a pick without giving up a lateral asset (ie. Baertschi, #4 overall), then do it.

I think NSH is a place 20 would waive NTC for. Just because 20 is a cowboy!

If BT inks Vrbata as replacement. At trade deadline I think 20 for a first is doable (if Quincey nets one) but wondering if it happens at draft (draft pick at its highest value compared to lower at trade deadline).

20 has been at around 30 goal pace ...

11 + Hudler + 3rd rounder for 1OA or 2OA or 5OA?

Avatar
#19 BurningSensation
June 21 2014, 02:59PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
2
props
Jeff Lebowski wrote:

I think NSH is a place 20 would waive NTC for. Just because 20 is a cowboy!

If BT inks Vrbata as replacement. At trade deadline I think 20 for a first is doable (if Quincey nets one) but wondering if it happens at draft (draft pick at its highest value compared to lower at trade deadline).

20 has been at around 30 goal pace ...

11 + Hudler + 3rd rounder for 1OA or 2OA or 5OA?

Given that the Leafs reportedly offered; Kadri, Gardiner and a swap of picks for #1OA, I'd say your offer is light.

Avatar
#20 piscera.infada
June 21 2014, 03:25PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
16
props

@Jeff Lebowski

Sorry guys, I just don't see the logic in trading for the #1 pick. You lose Hudler and Glencross, this team is going to be even worse than it looks now - not to mention with more gaping holes, as well as even less spent to the cap. I can see a Hudler trade because he has term, a reasonable cap-hit, and is coming of a strong season.

If you go into the draft with #4 and #11 you're laughing (think Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl and Virtanen/Fleury for example). Quite simply though, the cost to move to first overall is going to have to be a whale of a package for what could be great or what could just as easily not be great.

As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of acquiring any draft pick if it means a lateral exchange. Why give up Baertschi and a 2nd or 3rd (and possibly more) to be able to draft 7th - 11th? You're hoping that prospect can do what Baertschi has done in his short time as a pro (remember, this was his second year as a pro between the AHL and NHL).

Personally, I make the trade with Nashville if I can give up a player that will help them now, but unequivocally won't help us long-term - if you have to throw in a later pick to make it work, that's fine. This simply means that trading away real talent for prospective talent (ie. the move to first overall), just seems like a waste that is sure to backfire.

Moreover, if they do in fact, end up trading the world to Florida for the first overall pick it will confirm one thing to me: that the BB/BT experiment is more about optics than it is about building a contender. It would be one thing to sell the farm for the chance to draft a player with known generational upside, but none of the players in this draft look like that at this time (that not to say no one will end up that way). It's fine to make a splash, but it needs to be a calculated move so it doesn't end up an unmitigated disaster.

Avatar
#21 MonsterPod
June 21 2014, 03:47PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
6
props

This all depends on what the management wants. The phones ring between picks. If the Flames keep their pick and both Sams are gone, they may not want Draisaitl and decide to pull the trigger on someone's offer to drop down -- flip picks with Toronto perhaps and take Ritchie/Virtanen/Fleury.

But if Edmonton is in love with Draisaitl and one of the Sams is there for us, then maybe we take him. They will not trade the pick until they see how the chips are falling. Did anybody in the draft world expect to see Seth Jones drop to #4? Maybe a drop to #2, but certainly not #4.

Avatar
#22 mk
June 21 2014, 04:12PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
7
props

I like all the options where 'Edmonton weeps'. I generally enjoy this happening. I'm actually kind of hoping that Edmonton trades up to #1 overall and then the kid flat out refuses to sign with them.

Avatar
#23 DragonFlame
June 21 2014, 04:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props
piscera.infada wrote:

Mentioned it before, apparently Nashville is looking to get immediate, established help for #11 overall. Look at their forwards, either of Hudler or Glencross would be an immediate upgrade in their forward ranks (that team was just horrible). They're over a barrel too, if they don't start winning immediately, no one wants to come out to their games, so they likely (and reportedly) don't care too much about prospects. They want a bona fide NHL player. Toss in a second, a third, or two, and make it happen.

That is my most likely scenario. Get another pick at 11, if they want too much don't do it. But that should be the mantra from management - if they can acquire a pick without giving up a lateral asset (ie. Baertschi, #4 overall), then do it.

Trading Hudler or Glencross to gain another pick would be fine, I suppose, except the Flames still have to replace one of these players salaries and add even more salary just to get to the cap floor. Any other year (when some truly decent UFA's hit the market), I think it would be a great idea, but this year's UFA crop looks awfully bleak.

Avatar
#24 FlamesinToronto
June 21 2014, 05:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
19
props

I'd have no problem trading Glenncross or Hudler. This team is still far away from being a contender and it be nice to get assets back for these players while they still have value. That being said, i think it be insane to trade the 4th overall pick and move down. This organization desperately needs elite level talent.

It really does get pretty insane leading up to the draft when you see fans taking such strong and over the top opinions on players they've seen once or twice. I have zero preference when it comes to who the Flames draft out of the top 5 names being presented, my only hope is they would pass on Ritchie based on everything I've read up on him.

Avatar
#25 coachedpotatoe
June 21 2014, 05:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
11
props

The great thing is that by this time next week we will have a better understanding of bt/bb direction for this team. I suspect we draft at 4 and pick either who is left from the big 4. The ground work will have been done and I suspect the draft floor will be rather fluid depending on what happens ahead of number 4, I expect if Florida trades #1 the price will be higher than the flames would be willing to pay. However I also guess that the Flames might be prepared to over pay for a 7-11 to try and get Ritchie. It will be fun.

Avatar
#26 Baalzamon
June 21 2014, 07:10PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
5
props

If Travis Sanheim is still there at 24th, do the Flames trade the 34th and 54th to Anaheim to take him? Is it worth it?

Avatar
#27 dotfras
June 21 2014, 09:15PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
6
props

Hoping for a repeat of last year where the top D prospect falls to us. Ekblad is NHL ready and immediately improves our team. We go into Free Agency, add a second pairing Dman and our Defense looks solid.

We have a ton of LW & C depth and little Defense depth.

Avatar
#28 DragonFlame
June 21 2014, 09:59PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
2
props

@dotfras

Except the Flames' D finished 10th in NHL scoring among defensemen (despite the injuries), you mean?

Avatar
#29 RexLibris
June 21 2014, 10:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
19
props

Lowetide held a mock draft of top ten picks today using media members from each city, including the inimitable Kent Wilson.

I only caught the top four but it went Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett (LT's choice), at which point Kent took Draisaitl.

For the record I think it shakes down as Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett - barring trade.

Avatar
#30 Fire It Up
June 21 2014, 10:30PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
2
props

@Monaertchi Gaudnett

Don't make BBBT a thing.

Avatar
#31 dotfras
June 21 2014, 11:11PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
7
props
DragonFlame wrote:

Except the Flames' D finished 10th in NHL scoring among defensemen (despite the injuries), you mean?

Kind of irrelevant. Scoring does not mean depth. It means Gio & Brodie had a lot of points.

Avatar
#32 MonsterPod
June 22 2014, 05:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props

Well, the good news is that most pundits agree there are a top four in this draft and then a drop off. And we pick #4. So yay.

Avatar
#33 herringchoker
June 22 2014, 07:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
14
props

Hey Guys here my take. Please leave everything alone. Take your fourth pick and get the best player available. Do not draft for need yet. Do not move Glenny or Hudler for a second first round pick...this draft is to iffy at best. I believe if you move Glencross or Hudler it needs to be for a Nino Niederreiter (when he was in NY) type of prospect. Under 24, former high prospects needing new surroundings. Especially ones that fit organizational needs like defense. Use a Glencross or Hudler as a trade to team with for example a deep prospect base in defense....pull out one or two solid prospects and a salary dump.Try and make sure the salary dump is at least a leader even if he's past his best before date.

Avatar
#34 coachedpotatoe
June 22 2014, 07:27AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
2
props

Most of us are having fun speculating about this draft and that's great but I wonder about whats going on with the rest of the roster. We currently only have one goalie signed and need to finalize this; getting some RFA's signed should have been done by now, that ground work should have been done even before BT was hired. I also wonder what Cammi is hearing from other teams in the preUFA kicking tires period; maybe what the Flames have offered sounds good by the time this is over.

Back to the draft speculation: If it's Draisaitl at 4 it would not surprise me to see the Flames trade down or reach for someone else; if it's any of the other guys they use their pick. That's my guess listening to interviews with coaches from around the CHL, head scouts from the various agencies and listening to the Flames management team. It sounds like Florida is holding out for the right deal: if the Leafs as rumor did offer Dion, Kadri and their first and were turned down I can't see us being in the discussion. Florida probably turns this deal down for two reasons; Dions' salary and how low the Leafs pick is and they don't think their guy will still be there with the Leafs pick. I personally think Florida is overvaluing this years pick. In saying that I think the two Canadian teams withe best chance of landing this pick are Vancouver and Ottawa as both have a veteran high end piece that wants out and a drat pick that makes sense for Florida.

When will we see a discussion about the prospects at 34( we need to treat this as a late first rounder), 54 and 64 as this is where this organization can make some serious gains for the futures.

Avatar
#35 Graham
June 22 2014, 08:19AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
21
props

To be honest, I am sick and tired of the Flames trading down to add another draft pick. The Flames have plenty of low to mid level prospects, so adding another by trading down adds little to the organization. The Flames really need high end prospects, so you either look at trading up (but I don't think the price will be worth it) package the fourth pick in a trade, or take the pick. Best advice for Burke and Treliving is to keep it simple on draft day.

Avatar
#36 Reidja
June 22 2014, 09:08AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
6
props
Jeff Lebowski wrote:

Will Nick Ritchie be our Tyler Biggs? I think many are getting worried about this.

I'm not. For 2 reasons: 1- I really think the decision is a BT / TB call. I think they are zeroing in on highest offensive impact. Ritchie is a blend, a hybrid - does many things well but much of his appeal doesn't directly impact scoresheet as the top 4 does.

2- So what if they do pick Ritchie? We have no control, why let it bug you?

Besides, Button has done well of late. If he genuinely likes him ( and not because BB likes him) then he might just be a helluva player.

Also, it's blasphemous to take Ritchie seemingly ONLY because the sources people use to form opinion haven't put him there. Who cares? What do they REALLY know? Just look at some past redraft scenarios. Things change.

If Lucic's draft was done over - where does he go? Where would Bowman, Lombardi and BT/BB slot him? Top 3,5,10?

I really think Flames fans should heed this post above. Not because I love Ritchie, truth be told I've never seen him play live (like many of you, I suspect), but because none of you have that knowledge of the player. Ostracizing an 18 year old because you liked one of the other 18 year olds who you also don't know much about, other than regurgitated scouting reports and YouTube videos, is bad armchair GM stuff. I love the speculation and hope that somehow we can wrangle one of the Sams or Ekblad too but this is really the time to let the guys who get paid, do their job. Should we take Ritchie, tell me he will be a bust 3 years from now when you have expirience to back up the opinion.

Avatar
#37 Kevin R
June 22 2014, 09:09AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
9
props
Graham wrote:

To be honest, I am sick and tired of the Flames trading down to add another draft pick. The Flames have plenty of low to mid level prospects, so adding another by trading down adds little to the organization. The Flames really need high end prospects, so you either look at trading up (but I don't think the price will be worth it) package the fourth pick in a trade, or take the pick. Best advice for Burke and Treliving is to keep it simple on draft day.

Agreed. Keep the 4th pick & take who ever is left of the big 4. Any GM would listen to any offers for that 4th & if it's not a whaacko price,lets just take whose left. For the life of me I have no idea why everyone is so down on the German kid. He is a big Johhny hockey with skills. I have no qualms adding this kind of player to our stables. I have no problem trading Hudler or GlenX to pick up a top 3rd 1st rounder either. If Nashville or Anaheim(Ottawas pick) are trolling, why not, it's hard not to spend money to get to the cap floor. There are some teams that are in big Cap dodo like Boston. We may be able to get a Boychuk for a very reasonable price.

Too many worry about BB or BT doing some wild deal & the comments are retarded. These guys are hockey people & they aren't stupid. There is no magical GM shortcut to this rebuild, they know that, just very astute moves is all I expect from the Flames come Friday.

Avatar
#38 Monaertchi Gaudnett
June 22 2014, 10:29AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props

@Kevin R

I generally agree with your comment above, but we don't actually know for sure that "they aren't stupid" or that they think that "There is no magical GM shortcut to this rebuild".

I hope for astute moves, but I'm certainly not ruling out BBBT (sorry @FireItUp, this is happening) going for size and truculence over NHL level skill.

Avatar
#39 Tonk
June 22 2014, 10:37AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
8
props

I am not a fan of the trade down from 4 plan but I am prepared to see it. It has taken some time but if the chips fall a certain way I believe it may even be the best scenario. Or making the best of the situation, which is what we hope the Flame do.

Trying to read between the lines and read minds I believe I know what the various Flames are getting at when they talk about a top 6 or even 8. Based on interviews and other scouting (not viewing) I think the Flames see a top 3, and deep down I think most agree. I am totally sold on taking Ekblad or which ever Sam falls to 4, but if Draisaitl falls to 4 I am not sure it is as clear cut. Lets face it Draisaitl is the only one of the 4 that would shock you if he went first overall.

I think it could be said that Draisaitl is the best of the next 3+2. DalColle and of course Ritchie also offer things the Flames covet, character and size with a level of skill. Now at this level some organizations may even be looking at Ehlers and Nylander, they are the +2. These 5 could be shuffled how you like depending on the "type of player you are looking to draft" (that is a loose BB quote).

So if a trade down can be made with someone looking to get to Ehlers/Nylander and the flames are still in range to get at DalColle/Ritchie (and yes the target may be Ritchie) and have the ammunition for another first round pick... So we could go from taking Draisaitl at 4 to Ritchie and Sanheim (my personal choice, insert your favourite). That would make the Ritchie choice much easier to swallow.

Now that is a fair bit of horse trading, and none of it should be finalized before the 3 pick is made. The one thing I like about Burk is he will swing for the fences and you know Trelivng would like to make a splash.

So if I have to swallow Ritchie at 4, I will put on my best fan face and wait see if he turns out to be what Burk loves, before I loose my mind and go on rants about how they blew it. But I am truly hoping the Oilers are as hard for Draisaitl as some say and we are bringing a Sam to Calgary.

Avatar
#40 MK? LOL
June 22 2014, 10:52AM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Props
2
props

@ mk

"I like all the options where 'Edmonton weeps'. I generally enjoy this happening. I'm actually kind of hoping that Edmonton trades up to #1 overall and then the kid flat out refuses to sign with them."

Cowboy hat on too tight for ya? LOL

I bet you have a teeny willy and drive a big truck. Heehehee

Avatar
#41 BurningSensation
June 22 2014, 11:27AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
12
props
MK? LOL wrote:

@ mk

"I like all the options where 'Edmonton weeps'. I generally enjoy this happening. I'm actually kind of hoping that Edmonton trades up to #1 overall and then the kid flat out refuses to sign with them."

Cowboy hat on too tight for ya? LOL

I bet you have a teeny willy and drive a big truck. Heehehee

Your obsession with poster's willies is a clear indication you are in the wrong place.

Avatar
#42 BurningSensation
June 22 2014, 11:33AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props
Reidja wrote:

I really think Flames fans should heed this post above. Not because I love Ritchie, truth be told I've never seen him play live (like many of you, I suspect), but because none of you have that knowledge of the player. Ostracizing an 18 year old because you liked one of the other 18 year olds who you also don't know much about, other than regurgitated scouting reports and YouTube videos, is bad armchair GM stuff. I love the speculation and hope that somehow we can wrangle one of the Sams or Ekblad too but this is really the time to let the guys who get paid, do their job. Should we take Ritchie, tell me he will be a bust 3 years from now when you have expirience to back up the opinion.

There is no 'bad' armchair GM stuff, because there is no 'good' armchair GM stuff.

Just enjoy it for what it is.

That said, I agree that people should chill a little with the panic over Ritchie potentially being our pick at #4. I don't see it, but at least one team's scouts had Ritchie as the top player in the draft per Boomer in the morning.

The red flags for me;

- wasn't a ppg - late bloomer - older prospect - only took off offensively when he was with an elite linemate

But maybe the kid turns into a goalscoring young Todd Bertuzzi, and at #4 that's about the best you could hope for.

Avatar
#43 Burnward
June 22 2014, 12:10PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Props
1
props

Just for funsies...

If Draisatl is Kopitar and Ritchie is Lucic...which would you prefer?

Seems to be the best case scenarios for both.

I take Lucic.

Avatar
#44 The Sultan
June 22 2014, 12:20PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
10
props
Burnward wrote:

Just for funsies...

If Draisatl is Kopitar and Ritchie is Lucic...which would you prefer?

Seems to be the best case scenarios for both.

I take Lucic.

I'll take Kopitar over Lucic every day of the week. Draisatl over Ritchie. The Flames need to draft BPA, and regardless of whatever fetish they have over size, there is a clear top 4, and I'd even say a clear top 5. You have Ekblad, the Sam's, Draisatl and Dal Colle, in whichever order you choose to perceive them in.

Avatar
#45 Baalzamon
June 22 2014, 01:26PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props
Burnward wrote:

Just for funsies...

If Draisatl is Kopitar and Ritchie is Lucic...which would you prefer?

Seems to be the best case scenarios for both.

I take Lucic.

You're welcome to him. Kopitar all the way.

Avatar
#46 MonsterPod
June 22 2014, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
coachedpotatoe wrote:

Most of us are having fun speculating about this draft and that's great but I wonder about whats going on with the rest of the roster. We currently only have one goalie signed and need to finalize this; getting some RFA's signed should have been done by now, that ground work should have been done even before BT was hired. I also wonder what Cammi is hearing from other teams in the preUFA kicking tires period; maybe what the Flames have offered sounds good by the time this is over.

Back to the draft speculation: If it's Draisaitl at 4 it would not surprise me to see the Flames trade down or reach for someone else; if it's any of the other guys they use their pick. That's my guess listening to interviews with coaches from around the CHL, head scouts from the various agencies and listening to the Flames management team. It sounds like Florida is holding out for the right deal: if the Leafs as rumor did offer Dion, Kadri and their first and were turned down I can't see us being in the discussion. Florida probably turns this deal down for two reasons; Dions' salary and how low the Leafs pick is and they don't think their guy will still be there with the Leafs pick. I personally think Florida is overvaluing this years pick. In saying that I think the two Canadian teams withe best chance of landing this pick are Vancouver and Ottawa as both have a veteran high end piece that wants out and a drat pick that makes sense for Florida.

When will we see a discussion about the prospects at 34( we need to treat this as a late first rounder), 54 and 64 as this is where this organization can make some serious gains for the futures.

There aren't a lot of RFAs being signed right now, including Subban. I think this stuff takes time and they have months to do it. I don't think it's anything to worry about or any kind of early knock against BT.

The Cammy thing has never made sense to me. The only reason why he would possibly want to stay in Calgary is if he and his family just loved the city that much. He's 31. This is likely the last time he will be able to really cash in on free agency and the crop is thin this year. He could also go to a contender and a city with better weather (I love you Calgary, but admittedly, some players say 'no' to the snow).

I understand his veteran presence and all that, but he's small and he's clogging up the left wing that has Glencross, Baertschi, Gaudreau, and maybe even Poirier wanting minutes. And we the fans long to see these players, especially Johnny Hockey who is obviously not third line material. Let's bring in a veteran top four Dman to add leadership. We need that player anyway.

And I don't understand how TO can be offering Dion in deals. Surely he has a NTC in that monster new deal. I doubt he would want to go to Florida.

Avatar
#47 MonsterPod
June 22 2014, 01:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
8
props
Monaertchi Gaudnett wrote:

I generally agree with your comment above, but we don't actually know for sure that "they aren't stupid" or that they think that "There is no magical GM shortcut to this rebuild".

I hope for astute moves, but I'm certainly not ruling out BBBT (sorry @FireItUp, this is happening) going for size and truculence over NHL level skill.

I dunno. I feel pretty confident at this point that Brian Burke is not stupid.

Avatar
#48 MonsterPod
June 22 2014, 02:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
6
props
BurningSensation wrote:

There is no 'bad' armchair GM stuff, because there is no 'good' armchair GM stuff.

Just enjoy it for what it is.

That said, I agree that people should chill a little with the panic over Ritchie potentially being our pick at #4. I don't see it, but at least one team's scouts had Ritchie as the top player in the draft per Boomer in the morning.

The red flags for me;

- wasn't a ppg - late bloomer - older prospect - only took off offensively when he was with an elite linemate

But maybe the kid turns into a goalscoring young Todd Bertuzzi, and at #4 that's about the best you could hope for.

Neutral armchair GM here, like you said...

I can't help but think people are being a bit hypnotized by Ritchie's size. I still feel Virtanen would be a better pick at 6,7,8.

We'll see what Van and TO think next weekend.

The knock on Ritchie is his skating, and according to reports, Virtanen is an excellent skater. Size AND speed in a sniper? Sign me up.

Avatar
#49 MonsterPod
June 22 2014, 02:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Prayers for #34:

MacInnis. And he can wear #22.

Sanheim.

Avatar
#50 Reidja
June 22 2014, 02:14PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
12
props

@BurningSensation

I disagree that trashing an 18 year old's career on the public record is not "bad" armchair GMing. It's at best petulant and at worst shameful. I have no time for posters who would treat a kid like that. Folks should show some common sense and at least acknowledge their limited repotoire of live viewings of the kid (i.e. likely none) and thier ability to divine the future (zero) when posting troll-level negativity about a player who has yet to play a single pro game. End of rant.

Boy would I be stoked if Edmonton somehow let one of those top 3 guys slip to us. I almost feel like the rumour that thier managment like Driasaitl over the Sam's was a plant to get Flames fans hopes up! It's a Lowe blow if you will. Ah ha haha ha.

Comments are closed for this article.