The 2014 Flames Fifteen - #2 Johnny Gaudreau

Kent Wilson
June 25 2014 10:00AM

gaudfatherTee


Few Calgary prospects have had an amateur career comparable to Johnny Gaudreau. National champion, gold medalist, tournament MVP, league MVP and multiple all-star, Gaudreau can count himself amongst the very few hockey players who has had several t-shirts made of them before ever stepping on the ice as a pro. He's a sublime talent and probably the most exciting player in the Flames system.

The only reason Gaudreau isn't #1 on this list is the same thing that has no doubt dogged him throughout his career: his small stature.

Gaudreau was the smallest player ever drafted by the Flames when they called his name in the 4th round back in 2011. If he makes the NHL full time next year, he'll probably be its most diminutive skater. At approximately 5'7", 155 pounds, the 21-year old left winger is an unimposing figure. In many ways hockey is still a big mans game, so until Gaudreau can translate his success in the show, the question of his size will remain.

Player
Justin
Kent Ryan
BOL
Byron
Taylor
Christian
John Gaudreau
1
2
1
3
1
2
2

That's the only knock against the kid. Otherwise, he's an outstanding prospect. He lead Hockey East in every major offensive category you can think of this season: points (80), goals (36), assists (44), powerplay goals (10) and shots on goal (159). His incredible plus/minus rating of +42 was second only to linemate and fellow Calgary prospect Bill Arnold (+43).

Gaudreau didn't merely lead his division in scoring. He completely destroyed it. His 80 points were 15 more than second place Kevin Hayes, who was also a Gaudreau linemate. The closest non-Eagle point getter in Hockey East was Kevin Goumas of New Hampshire with 53 points. The closest scoring junior (ie; the closest scoring guy of the same age) managed 39 points - less than half of Johnny's results. On top of all that, Gaudreau tied Paul Kariya's record single season point streak of 31 consecutive games. His 80-points were the most the league has seen since 2003.

This was a total runaway folks.

Of course, Gaudreau's year didn't end there. The kid was invited to play for the American team at the World Championships this spring, were this stuff happened:

jga2

johnny-gaudreau2

jga1

Gaudreau was a human highlight reel against a better caliber of competition in the IIHF tournament. He also tied for the team lead in points with 9 (and he could have had a dozen more with a few more bounces). In a series of contests against older, bigger, stronger opponents, Gaudreau again proved himself to be one of the best players on the ice.

Conclusion

Hands, agility, speed, vision, creativity, a laser accurate shot - aside from height and weight, Gaudreau has it all. He thinks the game at a different level and can execute circus-like plays at high speed. He's already pro-level or better in many ways.

Gaudreau didn't look terribly out of place during his single game Flames debut at the end of the season, but the organization may choose to start him in the AHL anyways because of the size thing.

Of course, if Gaudreau picks apart the American Hockey League like he has every other level of hockey he has ever played at, the Flames won't have much choice but to call him up and give him a chance to answer the lone, lingering question about his hockey career that remains.

PS - You can vote for Gaudreau as best male college athlete of the year here.

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
Former Nations Overlord. Current FN contributor and curmudgeon For questions, complaints, criticisms, etc contact Kent @ kent.wilson@gmail. Follow him on Twitter here.
Avatar
#51 TheoForever
June 25 2014, 02:48PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Props
7
props
PerpetuallyPineapple wrote:

Yes Theo scored 1088 points, we all know that, what we are debating is they types of players they both are, not what player will score more points. Do I think J.G can score 1000+ points in the NHL, I think its possible but that is a pretty tall order for anyone coming into the league. I stand by my initial comment that J.G is a highly skilled, finesse type player and that his skills are something the Flames have never really had before.

Flames had more than a dozen of players with Johnny's skill. Yeah, he is extremely talented kid but lets be realistic.

Avatar
#52 MyTwoCents
June 25 2014, 02:52PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Props
12
props

If we get Sam Reinhart at the draft, I think there is a good chance of brother Griffin wanting to play with his brothers on his dad's old team when he hits free agency.

Avatar
#53 suba steve
June 25 2014, 02:57PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
22
props
Baalzamon wrote:

I'd rather just keep the pick and draft Reinhart. Horvat isn't worth it.

I'm still waiting for Garth Snow to offer all his picks to move up two spots. He's done it before.

Horvat went 9th overall in 2013 (a strong draft year); if he was offered to the Flames with the #6 pick on Friday, for Calgary's #4--then I think the Flames would make that deal. Actually I don't think Treliving would even have to think about it, just do the deal.

Avatar
#54 SmellOfVictory
June 25 2014, 03:01PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
5
props
TheoForever wrote:

Flames had more than a dozen of players with Johnny's skill. Yeah, he is extremely talented kid but lets be realistic.

For a few years, yes. But they rapidly began to retire/leave/be traded. By 94/95 it was just a couple of remaining stars and a rapidly expanding cast of guys who weren't so great.

Avatar
#55 Dave
June 25 2014, 03:04PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props

@SmellOfVictory

Dallas did something similar to this with Nuchiskin last year. seemed to work OK for him.

Avatar
#56 Stubblejumper
June 25 2014, 03:28PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
4
props

@suba steve

I agree. However as this is a player specific deal (Reinhart) chances are we likely won't be offered the deal.

Hopefully this does not deter the Flames from continuing to secure a trade for second 1st rounder.

On that note does anyone know the protocol the NHL follows to announce trades. Can teams submit a trade, have it confirmed, but delay the announcement until a specific time later.

For example, could the Flames trade for the #5 pick from NYI (Hudler, Agostino, #34 pick) AND DET #15 pick (Glencross, Knight, #54 pick), have these picks confirmed but not have them be announced until it's time for the #5 and #15 selections?

Am thinking once a price is set it will impact other trades so there may be strategic reasons for wanting to get trades confirmed but keep them quiet. Anyone know for sure if this can be done?

BTW ...just floating the actual trades for fun..but wouldn't it be great to get Bennett/Draisaitl, Richie/Virtanen, and Sanheim?

Avatar
#57 ?
June 25 2014, 03:33PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
22
props
Bob Cob wrote:

OVER - Wait for it - RATED!!! Sven was supposed to be good too.

Calgary = where prospects come to die!

Oh and those highlights, anyone could score on Germany in international play, that's like scoring on Canada's men's team in soccer.

If he was really good, he'd of been ranked higher in his draft year.

Patrick Kane special?....Alcoholism is no joke! Get help son!

You guys are all delusional, oh well, beats hearing about "Intellectual honesty", two words by the way that should never be associated with the Flames or there fanbase.

I hope Yakupov and J Schultz work out for you, I really do.

Talk about over-rating prospects. But then again, I guess that's the only way you can build hope in a perpetual rebuild

Thanks for coming friend

Avatar
#58 ChinookArch
June 25 2014, 04:32PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
13
props

Baring injury, JG will get an audition in some regular season match ups early next season. If he asserts himself well, it will be hard for the Flames to send him down. I don't want to be patient, but getting top minutes in Adirondack won't hurt, and may help.

As for Boob Cob, I can't wait to chirp you on ON, and I promise to cut and past your comments today plus add JG highlites vs. the S'Oilers.

Avatar
#59 Baalzamon
June 25 2014, 04:34PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
9
props

@suba steve

I disagree. The drop off from 4th to 6th is too significant, especially if the player sitting there at 4th is Sam Reinhart. I'd take Reinhart over Horvat and Virtanen. Wouldn't you?

Just because Horvat went 9th overall doesn't mean he should have. Let's be honest here, he barely outscored Morgan Klimchuk last season. How good is he, really?

Avatar
#60 gotommygo
June 25 2014, 04:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Stubblejumper

'On that note does anyone know the protocol the NHL follows to announce trades. Can teams submit a trade, have it confirmed, but delay the announcement until a specific time later.'

I don't think it has to be announced until the actual selection takes place. These trades are often conditional upon a certain player still being available for selection, otherwise, no deal.

Avatar
#61 MonsterPod
June 25 2014, 04:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
6
props
Baalzamon wrote:

I disagree. The drop off from 4th to 6th is too significant, especially if the player sitting there at 4th is Sam Reinhart. I'd take Reinhart over Horvat and Virtanen. Wouldn't you?

Just because Horvat went 9th overall doesn't mean he should have. Let's be honest here, he barely outscored Morgan Klimchuk last season. How good is he, really?

I disagree with them, but there were those on the radio who said we should have taken Horvat at 6 instead of Monahan. Time will tell how these kids evolve but I highly doubt Horvat is in play in Vancouver. Shinkaruk maybe.

And for God's sake, we should not trade down in the draft. No no no no no. I would argue we shouldn't even try to move up, not if it would cost us #34 which could be really interesting.

Avatar
#62 coachedpotatoe
June 25 2014, 04:48PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

I have to say that I'm very excited about our top 4 prospects but I don't want to get to having too great of expectations for them like I did with Sven last year. However in saying that there is a very good chance that all 4 of them could start in the NHL next year and there is a very good chance they all(even Monahan) could spend some time in the AHL as well. For the first time in years every forward will need to earn their spots because of the depth we now have. Glenx cannot have a slow start to the season; he can be a healthy scratch because of the depth on LW.

If I was Sven's adviser I would have him ask to be invited to prospects camp(if he has recovered from his injury) and the rookie camp to get a head start and to prove that he is ready to make the jump to full time NHLer.

Our depth at center: Backs, Stajan, Monahan, Granlund, Knight, Arnold, Jooris and I'm guessing number 4 this year will be a center all can push each other.

On LW we have GlenX, Hudler,Byron, Johnny, Sven, Rhino, Augostino, Klimchuk, Ferland that some of tehm will need to play the other wing

On RW McG, Colborne, Bouma, Wolfe, van B, and Poirier once he is healthy makes for honest competition.

The camps motto should be earn your job or pay to watch.

Avatar
#63 BJ
June 25 2014, 04:53PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
0
props

@Byron Bader

Love it... Brodano... etched in stone from now on...

Avatar
#64 beloch
June 25 2014, 05:00PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
18
props

@?

I also cheer for the Oilers (whenever they're not playing the Flames and always with copious amounts of hard liquor on hand). The Oilers have drafted some good players in the last few years (Yes, the Yak is good and still very young). However, with three #1 overall picks in a row and only one pick out of the top ten in the last seven years, the expectation should be that you could point to at least one clearly elite guy by now. Hall is probably the closest, but his defensive game is really off and on and his compete level is questionable a lot of nights. The Oilers also haven't had much success with their later round picks lately. Few, if any, of their prospects/rookies have really outperformed their draft position for a very long time.

This, I feel, is a major reason why Gaudreau is going to make Oiler fans a little bit punchy next season. How would you guys feel if Edmonton brought a 20-year-old 4th round pick into the NHL next season and he outperformed Monahan? Well, the probability is rather high that Gaudraeu (picked #104 overall) is going to blow the pants of Yakupov (picked #1 overall) and Gagner (picked #6 overall) combined next season (Johnny's NHLE is higher than the combined point totals of Gagner and Yakupov) while simultaneously not absolutely sucking at possession.

Now, look to the Flames blueline. Guess who was drafted #114 overall? Thomas James freakin' Brodie. Oiler fans can only hope Nurse (drafted #7 overall) turns out that good! He might... Here's hoping! Still, Brodie blows the pants off of any defender currently wearing the copper and blue, and he was a fourth rounder. Oh, and Giordano was undrafted.

The Oilers and Flames are both sitting in a freakin' deep pit with just a tiny crack of sunshine filtering down from above through the claws and stingers of some pretty nasty Western conference competition. To climb out of that pit and into the playoffs, both teams need to do more than just get good, solid players with their first round picks. Both teams need to flush talent out from where it has absolutely no buisness hiding. Whether it's skill or luck at the draft, the Flames have been doing just that. The oilers haven't. Brodie is already a symbol of that, and Gaudreau will be another soon enough.

Avatar
#65 BJ
June 25 2014, 05:01PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
7
props

Ok so when I posted a few days ago that we should go after Nikitin I didnt think it would take 4.5 per to sign the guy.... or is that what it takes to get any average UFA to sign in the chuk....?

Avatar
#66 aloudoun
June 25 2014, 05:02PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
12
props

I would not do a trade that trades us down from 4th. What Calgary needs is elite skill. That is only found in the top of the draft.

Avatar
#67 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 25 2014, 05:34PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
3
props

it is WAY TOO EARLY to start mentioning JG's name in association with rookie of the year 14/15, but, since yo mentioned it... let the talk begin!

Avatar
#68 Walter White
June 25 2014, 06:01PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
8
props

Gaborik got how much for how long????!

I don't like our chances of signing Cammalleri to a decent contract if that is the standard for an injury prone 32 year old winger........

WW

Avatar
#69 CTibs
June 25 2014, 06:45PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
3
props

Johnny Gaudreau could be the best player from the 2011 draft, which is a scary thought considering he has only played one NHL game.

Avatar
#70 DragonFlame
June 25 2014, 07:22PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
3
props
coachedpotatoe wrote:

I have to say that I'm very excited about our top 4 prospects but I don't want to get to having too great of expectations for them like I did with Sven last year. However in saying that there is a very good chance that all 4 of them could start in the NHL next year and there is a very good chance they all(even Monahan) could spend some time in the AHL as well. For the first time in years every forward will need to earn their spots because of the depth we now have. Glenx cannot have a slow start to the season; he can be a healthy scratch because of the depth on LW.

If I was Sven's adviser I would have him ask to be invited to prospects camp(if he has recovered from his injury) and the rookie camp to get a head start and to prove that he is ready to make the jump to full time NHLer.

Our depth at center: Backs, Stajan, Monahan, Granlund, Knight, Arnold, Jooris and I'm guessing number 4 this year will be a center all can push each other.

On LW we have GlenX, Hudler,Byron, Johnny, Sven, Rhino, Augostino, Klimchuk, Ferland that some of tehm will need to play the other wing

On RW McG, Colborne, Bouma, Wolfe, van B, and Poirier once he is healthy makes for honest competition.

The camps motto should be earn your job or pay to watch.

Part of the problem with Sven last year (according to what I read in the media) is that Sven felt he had proven enough that he shouldn't had to have been at the camp, and this rubbed the coaching staff and Flames' management the wrong way.

So, yes, if I were Sven's agent, I'd also do everything in my power to ensure Sven showed up at prospects camp with the right mindset and the willingness to do whatever it takes to let the team know Sven wants to earn another shot. Barring injury, of course.

Avatar
#71 etownman
June 25 2014, 07:28PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Props
3
props

Just like the hype when Sven what's his name came along!

Avatar
#72 DragonFlame
June 25 2014, 08:11PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
1
props

@Walter White

Gaborik's career PPG higher than Cammi's despite Gaborik playing much of his career for what many would deem to be one of the most boring teams of all time (Minnesota Wild), back in the Jacques Lemaire left wing lock days.

Gaborik has a Cup (finally) and led all players this year with 14 goals in the playoffs (4 more than the next highest player).

I would like to see Cammalleri re-sign with the Flames, but there is really not much out there for UFA's this year, so it is hard to blame Cammi for testing the water. If a team wants to overpay to acquire his services, well . . . that's what free agency and the cap world that makes up the NHL is all about.

Gaborik didn't sign for a king's ransom, really. He took term over a big buck's pay day. The Kings locked him up as the penalty for signing a player to a long-term contract is no longer enforced . . . meaning if Gabby retires three years from now, the Kings are not on the hook for the remaining years and are free to look elsewhere.

For all we know, this could be a nudge nudge/wink wink agreement between the LA Kings and Gaborik.

Avatar
#73 suba steve
June 25 2014, 08:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
8
props
Baalzamon wrote:

I disagree. The drop off from 4th to 6th is too significant, especially if the player sitting there at 4th is Sam Reinhart. I'd take Reinhart over Horvat and Virtanen. Wouldn't you?

Just because Horvat went 9th overall doesn't mean he should have. Let's be honest here, he barely outscored Morgan Klimchuk last season. How good is he, really?

In the Hockey News Future Watch edition this year, they had Horvat as the 12th best (drafted) prospect not in the NHL. He was one spot below Griffin Reinhart. The list of names above him on that list is quite impressive, as are a lot of the names below him (Lazar, Domi, Pouliot, Nurse, Gaudreau, Dumba, etc.).

Is it possible that the Flames would come to regret such a trade?---Sure. But it is also QUITE possible that such a move would be a big win for the franchise. I would definitely run it by my assistant and my Pres of Hockey Ops if I were GM, and I would recommend pulling the trigger on that deal.

However, I don't believe that that offer is on the table.

Avatar
#74 karimeeloranta
June 25 2014, 08:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
9
props

The Fleury comparisons are fascinating. It is debatable whether or not the Gaudfather has "more skill" than Theo, and for me the point is moot. The thing with Fleury was his unmatched drive and determination. He played like a man possessed (sadly this was true) and he scared the living bejeezus out of thugs twice his size with his notorious stick work. Obviously, J.G. must have a lot of tenacity to have made it this far, but he seems like more of a Lady Byng, St. Louis type player. There is nothing wrong with that, but Fleury was just as slick while playing with a nasty edge.

Avatar
#75 beloch
June 25 2014, 08:36PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
9
props
etownman wrote:

Just like the hype when Sven what's his name came along!

This sentiment is a tiny bit more credible than Bob Cob's, but not well founded.

First of all, Baertschi averaged 0.5 ppg in his first NHL season, which is pretty spiffy for a 19-year old. He fell to 0.42 ppg last season, which is still very good in light of his struggles, but his defensive game was not yet there. This is normal for younger kids. Yes, the Yak might improve that aspect of his game too (and he'd better!). Baertschi is still on track to be very, very good.

Baertschi had a NHLE of 49.2 two seasons ago based on his last full season in the WHL (NHLE conversion ratio of 0.3). Gaudraeu has a NHLE of 67.2 based on his last full season in the NCAA (NHLE conversion of 0.41). If you look at the average age/height/weight of players, the WHL is clearly a junior league while the NCAA is almost identical in composition to the AHL. It was a much bigger leap for Baertschi to translate his WHL success to the NHL than it will be for Gaudreau to transition from the NCAA to the NHL. Also, Gaudreau has been tested (and found to be awesome) against Men's, not junior, world cup hockey competition. Finally, if the World Cup is any indication, Gaudreau is a puck-stealing possession machine.

In short, Gaudreau has a significantly higher NHLE than Baertschi ever did and it's based on play in a league that is much closer in difficulty to the NHL than Baertschi's junior NHLE was.

Avatar
#76 beloch
June 25 2014, 08:45PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
19
props

Re: Comparing Gaudreau to Fleury

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to do this. Fleury was a very special player. Many have speculated about what he might have accomplished without the personal demons he faced but, who knows, perhaps Fleury was great because he ran on pure, distilled, liquid rage!

Gaudreau is very promising, but to compare him to one of the finest Flames ever to play the game before he's played his second NHL game... It's unfair to him. Gaudreau is not the second coming of Fleury. He's Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau. We don't know what that means yet, but the kid deserves a chance to define that himself.

Avatar
#77 ChinookArch
June 25 2014, 10:06PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
8
props
beloch wrote:

This sentiment is a tiny bit more credible than Bob Cob's, but not well founded.

First of all, Baertschi averaged 0.5 ppg in his first NHL season, which is pretty spiffy for a 19-year old. He fell to 0.42 ppg last season, which is still very good in light of his struggles, but his defensive game was not yet there. This is normal for younger kids. Yes, the Yak might improve that aspect of his game too (and he'd better!). Baertschi is still on track to be very, very good.

Baertschi had a NHLE of 49.2 two seasons ago based on his last full season in the WHL (NHLE conversion ratio of 0.3). Gaudraeu has a NHLE of 67.2 based on his last full season in the NCAA (NHLE conversion of 0.41). If you look at the average age/height/weight of players, the WHL is clearly a junior league while the NCAA is almost identical in composition to the AHL. It was a much bigger leap for Baertschi to translate his WHL success to the NHL than it will be for Gaudreau to transition from the NCAA to the NHL. Also, Gaudreau has been tested (and found to be awesome) against Men's, not junior, world cup hockey competition. Finally, if the World Cup is any indication, Gaudreau is a puck-stealing possession machine.

In short, Gaudreau has a significantly higher NHLE than Baertschi ever did and it's based on play in a league that is much closer in difficulty to the NHL than Baertschi's junior NHLE was.

Well put,but you shouldn't use math. Oiler fans don't believe in math.

Avatar
#78 TheoForever
June 25 2014, 10:24PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
8
props

@beloch

That's not at beloch, can't remove the name now.

To all those that believe Flames never had anyone as talented as Johnny hockey, you guys either have short memory or were too young to see them. Nilsson, Makarov, MacDonald, Gilmour, St.Louis, Mullen, Hull, Housley, Fleury, Loob, Savard, Iginla, MacInnis. That list could be extended to include: Suter, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Nylander, Hrdina and a couple more.

Avatar
#79 Big Ell
June 25 2014, 11:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props

@TheoForever

Totally true. Mullen, MacInnis, Hull, Nieuwendyk and Gilmour are Hall of Famers. I am stoked for Gaudreau but the hyperbole is over the top.

Avatar
#80 Justin Azevedo
June 26 2014, 12:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
6
props

@BitGeek

here, I'll make it simple - his size matters 0 and he will not be affected by it. his nhle is his, but you're a fool if you think we are saying anything is set in stone.

Avatar
#81 MyTwoCents
June 26 2014, 12:15AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

I wonder if Gaudreau can be a player who can switch over to the right wing. Watching some of his highlights and a lot of his goals seem to be coming from the RW position. If he could make that transition, we would be pretty deep on both sides of center. On another note, its very strange how few right handed shooters we have on the Flames and our prospect pipeline.

Avatar
#82 TheoForever
June 26 2014, 12:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
Big Ell wrote:

Totally true. Mullen, MacInnis, Hull, Nieuwendyk and Gilmour are Hall of Famers. I am stoked for Gaudreau but the hyperbole is over the top.

Housley is in US Hockey Hall of Fame with 1288 pts. Wayne Gretzky called Nilsson the most talented player he has ever seen. Makarov was top Russian player for long time. So many great players played for the Flames. :)

Avatar
#83 EugeneV
June 26 2014, 12:32AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props
TheoForever wrote:

That's not at beloch, can't remove the name now.

To all those that believe Flames never had anyone as talented as Johnny hockey, you guys either have short memory or were too young to see them. Nilsson, Makarov, MacDonald, Gilmour, St.Louis, Mullen, Hull, Housley, Fleury, Loob, Savard, Iginla, MacInnis. That list could be extended to include: Suter, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Nylander, Hrdina and a couple more.

Nilsson and Makarov are the most "skilled" Flames ever.

No doubt, no argument.

Even at 31 when Makarov first came over.

Avatar
#84 EugeneV
June 26 2014, 12:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
9
props

In the early 80's I HATED the Oilers so much that when Sather picked Randy Gregg and Charlie Huddy for Canada in the 1984 Canada Cup, I was a traitor and cheered for the Russians to win as Makarov was my favorite player.

That's right I hated the Oilers so much that I cheered for Russia against Canada. BEFORE the wall came down.

Avatar
#85 TheoForever
June 26 2014, 12:44AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Props
2
props

Funny my post on top of the page is getting trashed, despite the fact it is 100% true. :)

Avatar
#86 EugeneV
June 26 2014, 12:46AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
10
props

I don't have that HATE for the Oilers anymore.

No reason to hate them now as they are just so pitiful.

Suck it Shelbyville.

Avatar
#87 EugeneV
June 26 2014, 12:48AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props
TheoForever wrote:

Funny my post on top of the page is getting trashed, despite the fact it is 100% true. :)

Not many youngold people on here I guess.

Avatar
#88 Brent G.
June 26 2014, 06:34AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props

I wouldn't be too worried about the trolls guys. It is the product of their insecurities and jealousy as they line up to watch yakupov, Schultz, Nuge etc. and know they are bound to be terrible for a very long time when those players are the key to their success. They are all good talented players who were handed the reigns too early and have now adapted to a strong losing environment. I live in Edmonton and love the arbitrary reasons they will be a contender next year (just like every other year).

They see the Flames quite quickly being put back together (by Burke no less) and feel the need to discredit our key prospects because, well, what else can they do? If the Flames don't screw up this draft and are as bad as we all suspect they will be next year, they will have a shot at some legit generational talent; we will then be back on our way to respectability and better with a small efficient rebuild.

Poor poor Edmontonians. Always a bridesmaid never a bride....

Bold prediction, Calgary and Vancouver will both get it together long before Edmonton will even contemplate getting out of the top 5 of the draft. Lowe will make some point at a presser about how they are only technically on year 2 of the rebuild and the Asian and Ukrainian Oiler fans are second class by their standards because [fill in the blank].

Avatar
#89 BitGeek
June 26 2014, 07:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Justin Azevedo wrote:

here, I'll make it simple - his size matters 0 and he will not be affected by it. his nhle is his, but you're a fool if you think we are saying anything is set in stone.

Who said anything about anything being set in stone? Every prospect on every team is a question mark till they make the show on a regular basis.

However I think you did get what I was trying to say about JGs nhle numbers and really any other stat used to evaluate him. His stats are good, I just wish the stats guys would stop putting an asterisk beside his name when they refer to them.

Avatar
#90 Cfan in Vic
June 26 2014, 07:25AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
6
props
EugeneV wrote:

In the early 80's I HATED the Oilers so much that when Sather picked Randy Gregg and Charlie Huddy for Canada in the 1984 Canada Cup, I was a traitor and cheered for the Russians to win as Makarov was my favorite player.

That's right I hated the Oilers so much that I cheered for Russia against Canada. BEFORE the wall came down.

I may be a bit young for this, but didn't the wall come down in Germany, and the curtain in Russia?

Avatar
#91 Baalzamon
June 26 2014, 08:00AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
4
props
Cfan in Vic wrote:

I may be a bit young for this, but didn't the wall come down in Germany, and the curtain in Russia?

The Soviet Union controlled East Germany.

Avatar
#92 Cfan in Vic
June 26 2014, 08:57AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

@Baalzamon

Oooohhhhhhh. Thanks.

Avatar
#93 TheoForever
June 26 2014, 09:01AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

Cutting that Iron curtain took a lot longer than tearing down that wall, well you know due to size.

Avatar
#94 dotfras
June 26 2014, 09:13AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props

Depending on what Edmonton does in Free Agency, they could be SLIGHTLY improved next season. They've addressed their goaltending issues, so at least they have that figured out for next year.

Their timing couldn't be worse as I don't think they will finish low enough to draft one of the top players in the 2015 draft.

Avatar
#95 Alt
June 26 2014, 09:49AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
2
props

There's another reason he'll end up in Adirrondack at the start of season.

HE'LL SELL A LOT OF TICKETS.

Avatar
#96 suba steve
June 26 2014, 10:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
7
props
Alt wrote:

There's another reason he'll end up in Adirrondack at the start of season.

HE'LL SELL A LOT OF TICKETS.

He's gonna sell a lot of merch in Calgary too.

Avatar
#97 Captain Ron
June 26 2014, 01:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

I haven't been this excited to watch a player in his first season since Teemu was a rookie in Wpg. Make no mistake I think Johnny is going to be an impact player PDQ. Our power play should be greatly improved with him on it.

Small size my arse. This man can play.

Avatar
#98 DragonFlame
June 26 2014, 04:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Baalzamon wrote:

The Soviet Union controlled East Germany.

And many don't know West Berlin was physically inside East Germany.

Avatar
#99 insvenwetrust
June 26 2014, 05:20PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
0
props

Can we keep history lessons in high school please

Avatar
#100 EugeneV
June 27 2014, 02:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Cfan in Vic wrote:

I may be a bit young for this, but didn't the wall come down in Germany, and the curtain in Russia?

The Wall coming down was symbolic as the start of the fall of the USSR.

Comments are closed for this article.